Anyone still believe this team is good enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Anyone still believe this team is good enough?

If these last 2 games didn't give everyone a clear indication of how far the B's are from being a real Cup Contender, they should give their head a sake. 

They just got b*tch slapped.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Anyone still believe this team is good enough?

The B's lost to a really good team. The B's could have swept these 2 games and it still wouldn't have guaranteed success in the playoffs. Who would have thought the B's were going to come 1 goal from the eastern conference finals last year?Not me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

pb,

also a big difference is we don't have Crosby/ Malkin or Kane/Toews.  The talent in those cup winners and ours is very very noticeable.

I believe the biggest need is a #2 dman.  Essential.  I also think what everyone else does.  We need more scoring.  Easy to say.

I think we will make some moves and believe this team can go far once that is done. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In which team?
    If we are talking Redwings I take their 3-4 lines over ours and I also take their 6 dmen over ours.  Chris Osgood won a cup in that system.  No argument on the goalies. 
    If we are talking Hawks/Pens.  Its not even close when comparing secondary scoring or defense.  And Fleury is as good as it gets when talking elite goalies.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Preach Shupe!  Some people are so dillusional.  Of course it has nothing to do with just 2 losses, it has everything to do with a 3 year sample of what we know.  We know this team can gear it up for a nice stretch run and beat up a few tms, but when it comes to the elites, we aren't that.

PBerg37, your cup examples of Chi and Pitt couldnt have been any better to illustrate the point that we dont have the talent needed to win it.  toews, kane, keith, seabrook, sharpe, and on and on and on.  So krejci/bergy is sid/malkin, or toews/kane?  What about Z/Seidenberg, close to keith and seabrook or even letang/gonchar, ah, i dont think so.  Would bergy/richards or parise work, yes! 

In Response to Re: Anyone still believe this team is good enough?:
    [QUOTE]pb, also a big difference is we don't have Crosby/ Malkin or Kane/Toews.  The talent in those cup winners and ours is very very noticeable. I believe the biggest need is a #2 dman.  Essential.  I also think what everyone else does.  We need more scoring.  Easy to say. I think we will make some moves and believe this team can go far once that is done. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Maybe some of you sheep are finally waking up! This team is far from great. They have second rate talent and a third rate coach. You need elitetalent to win the Cup. We have who...Krejci? Eight goals from a first line center? Horton? He is supposed to replace Kessel? Horton is a complete failure....25 goal scorer at best. I'd rather have Ryder. Chara? Guy's won nothing ever. He is invisible in big games. He doesn't have the talent. Without Thomas they are a .500 team. They need a talent upgrade. They need another quality Dman who can actually create something. They also need an elite forward or two...second rate forwards will never get it done...and please get rid of Recchi. If you want a 50 yr old has been get Bertuzzi

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

pb,

Pitts stanley cup winning team had 3 centers all better than our top 2 guys.  Bergie is good but I would trade him for Staal staright up.  I think they are very similar.  The Cooke's Talbots, Kennedys etc etc may not be house hold names but I would want them over Ryder/Wheeler...And Fleury was simply amazing.  And then we compare two of arguably the best players in the world.  And then add on Gonchar/Orpik and Gill/Scuderi Letang 

They were very deep.  And when you have Sid and Malking its not comparible.

Chicago had 3 deep scoring lines.  And their 4th created havoc and scored some timely goals.  Their top 4 dmen easily better than our top 4. 

We truly dont have a top 4...Chara is just so darn good it makes the rest of our guys adequate. 

We need a lot more if we are gonna win.

Nash- I have been saying this for a while.  Regular season is different than the playoffs.  We need a few pieces to help us over the hump.  I don't think we are nearly good enough to win 2 rounds let alone 3-4.
    We have no guy we can rely upon.  2-1 games can go either way. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Yeah they lost twice to Detroit.  I could be wrong but haven't they done quite well against the 'elite' teams of the East this year and actually a bit worse against the bottom feeders? I'm not looking up the stats to back it up but if I'm wrong feel free to post it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

derrick,

i think they have done well against everyone they have played this year...I just don't think regular season success carries over.  This team doesnt have the clutch performers to make a serious run.  Chara is a horse but he needs a running mate.  And up front we need a scorer and a 3rd line center.

These players are out there. 

If you look at the east only.  You gotta figure Philly/Pitt/TBay and especially the Caps are gonna upgrade.

Look at the Caps in particular.  They have a lot of prospects and current NHL ready players they have been showcasing.  They also have 3 young goalies. 
    Imagine Washington adding Weiss/Vokoun and another dman. 
    They can do all of this easily without worrying one bit about cap space...they have enough young talent and picks as well.  I think Washington will make major moves.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A "real cup contender"?

It's a myth.  Look at the Pens.

At this moment they don't have Malkin and Crosby.

The Bruins are capable of winning the east.

The west, as witnessed by these Detroit games is a whole other issue.

If they beat each other nearly to death in the west and they all go 7 games and get hurt and if the Bruins can get through the east OK they could win the cup.

Is that likely?  No.

Would I bet on them?  No.

Is it possible that they win?  Yes.

Even with the elite bodies you can get bounced out of the playoffs.  Didn't we see that last year with the Pens and Caps?

Do the Bruins need to get better?  Yes.

Can they do this by trade deadline?  No. 
    Get real.  If they fleece a GM, that would be awesome.  But the odds are as likely as my next lottery ticket.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bad,

I agree with everything you said until the end.
    Add one dman(many available)
    Add one scoer(Some available)
    Add one 3rd line center(easily available)

And this team will make some serious noise in the playoffs.  And as easily as the Pens and Caps were eliminated we can be as well by a team with a hot goalie and a few clutch scorers. 

I think with so much happening in the east that this could be our big chance.  Philly right now is the team to beat.  They are much better than last year in my eyes. Why.  B/C their 6 dmen can all play and be counted on.  Throw in Richards and their 3 lines and they are gonna be hard to beat. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

The West is far superior to the East. Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose are all better than Boston. I would throw Nashville in as well. They have a great coach and would beat Boston. Chicago is better as well but they are having issues with all the new guys they have now. In the East Philly, Pitt, Tampa and Wash are all better than Bostonand have better potential. Yes we've beaten them but Tim Thomas has been the difference in most of those games. They all have a couple elite forwards that will kill the Bruins in a 7 game series. The Bruins will come out with the same old bs about how they have to work harder and play Bruins hockey blah blah blah....Its all designed to fool the sheep and put the blame on the players. The fact is they aren't good enough. Mgt suxs. Seven years to Savard? Chara? For what? I won't even mention Ference? You need a couple of elite fowards and at least three quality dmen to have any shot at a Cup. We have no true elite forwards and Chara and Seidenberg(yes I think he is quality)....and honestly I have no faith in Chara. He disappears in big games. He is not Ray Bourque...not even close. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bad, I agree with everything you said until the end. Add one dman(many available) Add one scoer(Some available) Add one 3rd line center(easily available) And this team will make some serious noise in the playoffs.  And as easily as the Pens and Caps were eliminated we can be as well by a team with a hot goalie and a few clutch scorers.  I think with so much happening in the east that this could be our big chance.  Philly right now is the team to beat.  They are much better than last year in my eyes. Why.  B/C their 6 dmen can all play and be counted on.  Throw in Richards and their 3 lines and they are gonna be hard to beat. 

You'll have to give to get and I don't think the price is worth it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bad,

I agree you have to give to get.  And we have plenty of picks and young players that other team have interest in.  I would easily give our #1 pick b/c the draft is so weak.  SJ has already shown some interest in Stuart. 

Nash- Are we talking about the same SJ team on the bubble.  They have talent but can never put it all together.  Plus their dmen are el crap-ola.  Outside of Boyle.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Right now. NO WAY.   They can't get out of the East.   Philly, a healthy Pitt, and, yes, TB can handle them, IMO.   They big need personnel changes before the deadline.  Otherwise, unless Thomas pulls a Halak, they won't go far. 1972 and counting......
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

No.  Not 1972 and counting.

The new world order started in 2005  after the lockout and the cap.

This is the way the NHL model is supposed to work.

You stink.
    You get draft picks.
    So then you have young guys with low cap hit.
    You win cup.
    You lose the guys because you can't afford them anymore.

Same thing happens for some other team.

Until this happens for every team.

They want to see every team win the cup once.

Edmonton has been horrible.  In a few years they will have 2 or maybe 3 1st overall picks in their line up.  And they'll win the cup.

I say keep the pick.  With lots of luck they have an outside shot this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

What have Vancouver and San Joe done in the playoffs?Nothing.Great regular season,not so great playoffs. Pitt is really hurting with Malkin gone.Philly is good but no playoff tested goalie.Washington can score but goaltending is also a question mark.Tampa Bay has a o.k defence ,lots of scoring,Roloson in net and he is hot and cold. All of these teams can try to fix their problems by the deadline but its not guaranteed. The B's aren't that far from being contenders but they have to make some moves.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

You mean the San Jose team that shut out the high scoring Bruins 2-0? We didn't even get a shot on net. They are so much better coached than Boston. Their problem is they play in the West. The better conference.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Like i said San Joe is a great regular season team.They played a good road game that night.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bad, I agree you have to give to get.  And we have plenty of picks and young players that other team have interest in.  I would easily give our #1 pick b/c the draft is so weak.  SJ has already shown some interest in Stuart.  Nash- Are we talking about the same SJ team on the bubble.  They have talent but can never put it all together.  Plus their dmen are el crap-ola.  Outside of Boyle.

Too bad the phrase 'wait until next year' got worn out when it was meaningless.

But look at next year:
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=BOS
    Caron for 1.1 mil.  Colborne at 1.1.  No Ryder, Wheeler will be gone.  Total cap hit next year roughly 38 mil.  It's a bit off because I believe they have Chara signed and that's not on there.  They'll be able to sign Marchand cheap, he's RFA next year.  Stuart is an UFA next year, so anything you could get for him this year would be great. 

If you keep Toronto's pick, that will be a 3.5 mil cap hit worst case.  Spooner looked good to me, other teams would have had him in the line up this year.  He'll be cheap.  I'm not so sure about Knight.

With a total cap of like 60 mil or so, and round about 45 spent, give that 15 mil to some idiot like NAS, bookboy, Bergeron37 - or you - or an idiot like me and I bet the team becomes a true contender next year.

Or dish the pick and somebody decent for a rental like Richards and take your chances on winning the cup?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Yes Nash,  That team.  The same team that lost to Florida today 3-2. 
    SJ had a better team last year and are gonna limp into the playoffs maybe?

I think our team has the prospects and picks to be good this year and in the future.  Why wait for a pick in the 20+ rounds to turn into a player in 3-4 yrs.  Chara won't be young forever.

Just b/c we trade prospects and picks doesnt mean we have to land a 38 yr old vet.  We could add a young scorer or dman with the assets we have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Good road game? What does that mean? They won the game and would do the same thing in the playoffs against the Bruins. Their problem is they have to beat Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver.....that's tough to do with mediocre goaltending.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bad

What if we landed Seabrook or a Parise for example.  Those guys change the land scape in the East.
    even if we decide to go on the cheap side we can easily upgrade enough to make this team better w/o hurting the future. 

But if we have to wait 3-4 yrs to become elite we also run the risk that Chara is not as good and that we won't have TT.  Sure we can play the restock game year in and year out. 
    I personally believe there are players available and we should be making this yrs club better. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nash,

You need to look at current teams.  Chicago is gonna have a hard time making the playoffs as will SJ.  Van/Detroit are legit this year...
    I do believe the west os better than the east though.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shortpops. Show shortpops's posts

The results of this weekend clearly show that ther Bruins need some "tweeking" to get to the point where they will win a cup.  First off management needs to review the  career point totals  for their players. In doing this it becomes rather obvious that certain players have enjoyed one really good year then seem to go down a slippery sloap with markedly less offensive contributions in the following years.  These are younger players who should be scoring more and more due to the fact they are in their early to mid twenties and not in their mid thirties where a scoring decline is to be expected. But it appears they are sitting on their laurels and floating along which does the team no good and certainly does not lead to a stanley cup. A couple of years ago a player by the name of Montador  was a late season addition and clearly was not afraid to take one for the team but he was not resigned for one reason or another. Management needs to come to grips with the guys who appear to be floating and also measure up  the expected results of this years draft with what they need  now to become a harder working team with players who are really willing to take one for the team. The Bruins have 2 first round draft picks and one of them  right now  is the fifth pick in the draft. Maybe these 2 picks  plus a couple of these floaters could net  2 or 3 players who are truly motivasted to excel and really want to be on a stanley cup winning team. The ball is in management's side of the court and let's see how they play iot at this crucial time.

Sections
Shortcuts