Anyone still have a problem with Hamilton?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Anyone still have a problem with Hamilton?

After the WJC BookBoy put it pretty well , he saw the same thing I did. Hamilton would get himself open , via back door or on the point but the puck would not get to him or put him in a bad situation to recover on his d-position .  Now  Hamilton playing with NHLers we'll see less of that and they'll exploit is skillset. This is were in Juniors he might have regressed instead of proression with the pros. IMO

There's one glaring thing I want the Bruins to do is have Hamilton start on the PP. If that means pairing him with Chara on the 1st unit, so be it !   To me it's simple,  it'll even open Chara up for a clean shot. If not Hamilton has a clear shot. Their so-called umbrella does not work for Chara because the penalty killer is on top of Chara to make sure he doesn't get a good shot , the 3 other PKers can handle the 4 Bruins .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

A very strange thread seeing as it's 4 games into the season, and everyone here agreed he was an outstanding prospect and a good draft pick.  A veteran poster should know better.  I think he looks great.  More polished than expected and I am continuously impressed at his uncanny ability to put his shots on the net.  He seems to be better than anyone at that.  I really like the kid.  Just like I thought I would.

But if this thread is supposed to be a rebuttal to people who pointed to the WJC as a disappointing tournament for the kid, it fails on every level.

Perspective folks.  Let's let the kid get a (shortened) season under his belt before we annoit him as the next Norris winner.  That's the stuff of Stanley.  I love him, but 4 games...!

My comments certainly aren't that Fletch. My "numbskull" comment was aimed solely towards the one veteran poster who after the draft, felt the need to attempt to write his thesis about how dumb PC was for drafting a D-man so high. He even had all kinds of "evidence" to support his cockamamie theory. I honestly only watched bits and pieces of the WJC but I was always aware of what type of prospect PC had drafted for the B's. Cheers

I don't really remember anyone in particular saying it was a bad pick. It would be a hard point to argue since there wasn't any forwards worthy of the 9 pick left in the draft after couturier was taken. The next three players after Hamilton were dmen taken. I'd love to look back if you had that post. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

After the WJC BookBoy put it pretty well , he saw the same thing I did. Hamilton would get himself open , via back door or on the point but the puck would not get to him or put him in a bad situation to recover on his d-position .  Now  Hamilton playing with NHLers we'll see less of that and they'll exploit is skillset. This is were in Juniors he might have regressed instead of proression with the pros. IMO

There's one glaring thing I want the Bruins to do is have Hamilton start on the PP. If that means pairing him with Chara on the 1st unit, so be it !   To me it's simple,  it'll even open Chara up for a clean shot. If not Hamilton has a clear shot. Their so-called umbrella does not work for Chara because the penalty killer is on top of Chara to make sure he doesn't get a good shot , the 3 other PKers can handle the 4 Bruins .

After last night I would have to agree and probably so will CJ.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Dougie is the Real Deal...He's already making plays that 10-year veterans make...He will be an All-Star by next season, a perennial one for years to come.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to scooter244's comment:

Really good patients and then a crisp pass that always seems to find it's mark.  Oh and I loved how he crashed the net on that one chance in the second, I think it was.  Couldn't help thinking Julien was pulling his last hair out there.  Love that he went looking for a goal.  We need some of that.

Julien does a great job of feeding Hamilton minutes and then rewarded with more TOI. Confidence, confidence and more confidence. CJ, Neely and PC must be thrilled.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chowdah - take the credit.  Above all, you called how much people will love Hamilton's ability to get the puck to the net.  It really is amazing and, at the end of the year if we're talking about a defenseman with a serious point total, it will have a lot to do with being a D who can get the puck to the net on a team that is good at winning battles for pucks in deep.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

A very strange thread seeing as it's 4 games into the season, and everyone here agreed he was an outstanding prospect and a good draft pick.  A veteran poster should know better.  I think he looks great.  More polished than expected and I am continuously impressed at his uncanny ability to put his shots on the net.  He seems to be better than anyone at that.  I really like the kid.  Just like I thought I would.

But if this thread is supposed to be a rebuttal to people who pointed to the WJC as a disappointing tournament for the kid, it fails on every level.

Perspective folks.  Let's let the kid get a (shortened) season under his belt before we annoit him as the next Norris winner.  That's the stuff of Stanley.  I love him, but 4 games...!

Disappointing only to some. 

The well respected Bob McKenzie thought Dougie had a rough WJC  as did Scott Cullen from TSN who thought Dougie was mediocre, so it wasn't just some posters on this board including myself. That said , 4 games into his career Dougie seems to be fitting in quite well and i hope he keeps developing into the D-man we all hope. Maybe his play in the pro's is as simple as Dougie himself said, everyone is always in the right place which makes it easier for him when looking to pass, not like juniors which can be very haphazard at times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The well respected Bob McKenzie thought Dougie had a rough WJC  as did Scott Cullen from TSN who thought Dougie was mediocre, so it wasn't just some posters on this board including myself. That said , 4 games into his career Dougie seems to be fitting in quite well and i hope he keeps developing into the D-man we all hope. Maybe his play in the pro's is as simple as Dougie himself said, everyone is always in the right place which makes it easier for him when looking to pass, not like juniors which can be very haphazard at times.

I am not respected, not from TSN and didn't. I thought he played well. But don't even bother with what I see. It's useless info.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Like him so far. Looking real comfortable out there for his age. Watching carefully. Trying NOT to get myself into what I see here in Jersey with the moronic Ranger fans. Only after a few successful playoff games -- Chris Kreider is the 2nd coming of Gretzky.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

So far to me  he looks like a smaller version of Tyler Myers (thats saying alot since he is 6'5")--- without the mental lapses on defense that Myers sometimes has.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I am not respected, not from TSN and didn't. I thought he played well. But don't even bother with what I see. It's useless info.  

Not entirely. ;p

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Hmmmmm...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In a few years, if not sooner, Hamilton will be considered to be the real gem the Bruins got from Toronto.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

In a few years, if not sooner, Hamilton will be considered to be the real gem the Bruins got from Toronto.

What's not to love about a thread titled;

Who's MVP?  Seguin or Hamilton?

Thank you Phyllis Kessel.

Can't wait for Hamilton's first goal against the Leafs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't think anyone on here knows as much about him as you do.  He had a spectacular jr career.  He didn't perform as well as I had hoped at WJ bc I wanted him to be all star caliber and help be the big factor for Canada.  I think many of us had hoped for this.  It didn't work out that way.  I don't think he was terrible.  I just was hoping for more.  His NHL start has been perfect.  I think he is being used perfectlmore his mobility, passing and smarts have been impressive.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Would you be surprised if he was in Norris trophy discussions this year, not as a nominee, but everyone saying that he will be next year?  I wouldn't.

Would you be surprised he won the Norris in the next 2 seasons?  I wouldn't

Yes, shocked.  

Are you serious?  Four games in, and you've got him penciled in for two Norris trophies in the next three years.  

I love what he's doen so far.  But it's been 4 games!  Homerism...

And remember, this is coming from someone who loved the draft pick and is thoroughly impressed with Hamilton so far. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Hey fletch, I think the post was supposed to read that he could win the Norris on one of the upcoming couple seasons. So saying he could win 1 in the next 3 years doesn't seem as far fetched if he manages to keep up his current pace.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

Hey fletch, I think the post was supposed to read that he could win the Norris on one of the upcoming couple seasons. So saying he could win 1 in the next 3 years doesn't seem as far fetched if he manages to keep up his current pace.

If he has a karlson type year as a youngster yes.  They tend to give them to the grizzled players who have paid their dues of late.  He definitely has the tools to be considered down the road for sure

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

When it comes to draft picks and the draft, I normally dont follow it. I maybe hear talk about the top 2 or 3, but after that I have no clue and could care less. At least until they start playing for the B's. But draft picks are a gamble. You take a chance and hope the scouts do a good job. If they pan out and make the bigs, then great, if not, its back to the drawing board. So even though Hamilton had rave reviews, I didnt know what to expect, Ive never seen him play until now and like what I see. I thought Steven Kampfer was solid in his first few games with the B's, but we all know how that ended. I know Kampfer isnt hamilton, but there was good discussion about kampfer early on and it just didnt pan out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Yaso#7's comment:

So far to me  he looks like a smaller version of Tyler Myers (thats saying alot since he is 6'5")--- without the mental lapses on defense that Myers sometimes has.

Not a terrible comparison.  Myers is more physical though   I would have to refer to chowda on his physical play in junior.  I don't think he's a Scott Stevens.  I think he uses his size to his advantage and doesn't need the bruising style But doesn't shy away from it either.   Hamilton is no bobby Orr.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Not a terrible comparison.  Myers is more physical though   I would have to refer to chowda on his physical play in junior.  I don't think he's a Scott Stevens.  I think he uses his size to his advantage and doesn't need the bruising style But doesn't shy away from it either.   Hamilton is no bobby Orr.  

I sure hope you're wrong because Myers is a gentle giant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I find he really misses his first year d-partner.  Myers is pretty docile.   Again I haven't seen the mean side of Hamilton.  I haven't seen enough of him to know.  But he doesn't appear to have a mean streak either.  Which is fine.  One of the best defence man in history (Lidstrom) wasn't exactly the beast.  Can I say that about him?  He's not Orr.  and yes I'm fooling with you. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I find he really misses his first year d-partner.  Myers is pretty docile.   Again I haven't seen the mean side of Hamilton.  I haven't seen enough of him to know.  But he doesn't appear to have a mean streak either.  Which is fine.  One of the best defence man in history (Lidstrom) wasn't exactly the beast.  Can I say that about him?  He's not Orr.  and yes I'm fooling with you. 

I like Myers but always wondered what he'd be like with a mean streak. The comparison is very apt though. I just hope Hamilton doesn't turn out to be even less physical is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

The kid looks good, but he's still being handled with kid gloves and there is a lot of room for improvement. Claude Julien has consistently put Dougie Hamilton against the worst talent the opposition has to offer

Here are the +/- QoC numbers:

ZDENOCHARA         0.878
    JOHNNYBOYCHUK   0.779
    ADAMMCQUAID      -0.281
    ANDREWFERENCE  -0.398
    DENNISSEIDENBERG -0.488
    AARONJOHNSON    -0.494
    DOUGIEHAMILTON -0.518

Now, He's our best defensemen in Points/TOI, but in actuallity, our defensemen haven't been a significant part of the offense thus far, and Dougie Hamilton, while being individually talented, has been our 5th ranked defensemen when it comes to being on the ice when a goal is generated.

With that being said, obv a lot of these stats look positive for the kid. He's started 47% of shifts in the offensive zone, and has left the ice in the offensive zone 63% of the time (difference of +16%). That is an excellent number and is tied with Seids for the best on the bruins. (as a point of Comparison, Zdeno Chara starts 31% of his shifts in the offensive zone, and exists the ice 34% of the time, difference of +3%. shows that his usage is totally defensive, making Chara's offensive numbers even more impressive). These zone start numbers really show one of Dougie's best attributes is how he can transition the puck into offense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fenic3I5h0

Finally, we don't need to talk about trading for a PMD