Are Offer Sheets Dirty?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty?

Offer sheets has never worked for a team signing a player in the nhl yet so i would say it is a non issue most teams will not even put one in. What i mean by not working is the contract has been an overpayment compared to performance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty?:
    I think they are dirty under most circumstances.  Offers like the Vanek or Weber sheets were dirty. They were on the team's franchise player and they would be forced to match. The offering team doesn't get the player, they just screw the matching team with an inflated contract. That's dirty play. Offer sheets like the Penner or (potentially) Kessel ones weren't so much dirty as taking advantage of a team near the cap to steal a player. Of course both of them backfired, so I think they are a bad idea.
    Posted by OatesCam

Nashville had the entire season to work out a deal with their players.  Even after Suter jetted north, they still dragged their feet on Weber.

They deserve to get the coals.

If a team wants to keep it's franchise player, if the player is that important, they have plenty of time to act.  If they decide to wait, that's their own grave to fill.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

That's a silly statement. You have no idea what Nashville was offering or what Weber was demanding. To my knowledge I have not heard one public statement from Weber saying that Nashville was dragging their heals and not offering a good deal. Perhaps he was demanding a ridiculous $100 million till he's 40 contract and Nashville was hoping he would become more reasonable, or that the new CBA would be signed  and outlaw them. If Weber was demanding that, and then got it from another team, the Predators didn't lose anything by not giving it to him first. It's nonsense to say they "deserved" it.

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : Nashville had the entire season to work out a deal with their players.  Even after Suter jetted north, they still dragged their feet on Weber. They deserve to get the coals. If a team wants to keep it's franchise player, if the player is that important, they have plenty of time to act.  If they decide to wait, that's their own grave to fill.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think Philly played it perfectly.  They essentially make Weber a Flyer or a Pred.  No Pens or Bruins or Rangers.  I have no problem with the offer sheet at all.  Weber fully realized that with the CBA likely to change he wanted to cash in and be set.  Its a crazy contract but my man crush on him is very high.  For Philly it was a perfect plan.  For Nashville it was a no brainer....
    I actually wish more teams would do it.  Tired of hug and kiss stuff when it comes down to wanting to win. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think Weber is among the league's most valuable players. I wasn't thinking of the blocking his move to other teams angle. That's an extra bonus to the Flyers. I still think it's a bit dirty though. It's a back door strategy to screw opponents.

I think Philly played it perfectly.  They essentially make Weber a Flyer or a Pred.  No Pens or Bruins or Rangers.  I have no problem with the offer sheet at all.  Weber fully realized that with the CBA likely to change he wanted to cash in and be set.  Its a crazy contract but my man crush on him is very high.  For Philly it was a perfect plan.  For Nashville it was a no brainer.... I actually wish more teams would do it.  Tired of hug and kiss stuff when it comes down to wanting to win. 
    Posted by shuperman

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I think Weber is among the league's most valuable players. I wasn't thinking of the blocking his move to other teams angle. That's an extra bonus to the Flyers. I still think it's a bit dirty though. It's a back door strategy to screw opponents. In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? :
    Posted by OatesCam

Yeah it is...the big thing its legal.  When did all this play by the the hidden rules enter the league.  RFA comes with compensation.  I wish the Bruins would do it.  I don;t care if that hurts the feelings of other GM's...should there be UFA rules now bc Poile was offended by Suter?  It is a bit greasey but Jimmy Crack Corn And I Don't Care.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : I'm not sure that's true. He knew the Preds could match. Sakic had no problems staying with the Avs after signing an offer sheet to Broadway. I'm also not sure Weber left any money on the table by signing now.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I dunno, is this what you want to hear about the captain of your team for the next 14 years?

"His agent, instead, wanted to stress that Weber wants to be in Philadelphia.  According to multiple sources, Weber spent parts of nearly 3 days in Philadelphia without as much as a hint of his arrival. He even enjoyed a pitch from Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider over dinner one night. Weber also toured the team's facilities and met key executives.

Bousquet said Weber was attracted to the Flyers' rich history, tradition and eagerness to win — despite the fact that it's been 36 seasons since the last Stanley Cup parade on Broad Street. He said Weber also quietly visited Detroit, San Jose and New York.

"It turns out, there was no real hard sell [on Weber]," Bousquet said. "There are a lot of great teams and organizations out there, in great cities. But when you put everything on the table, the Flyers were the best fit in nearly every category"

I agree he didnt leave $ on the table and maybe he was concerned about the new CBA... thats reasonable.  But if I wanted to play somewhere else and Im probably the NHL's premier upcoming UFA, I play one more year in Nashville and just go shopping the following season rather than get boxed in.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : I dunno, is this what you want to hear about the captain of your team for the next 14 years? "His agent, instead, wanted to stress that Weber wants to be in Philadelphia .  According to multiple sources, Weber spent parts of nearly 3 days in Philadelphia without as much as a hint of his arrival. He even enjoyed a pitch from Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider over dinner one night. Weber also toured the team's facilities and met key executives. Bousquet said Weber was attracted to the Flyers' rich history, tradition and eagerness to win — despite the fact that it's been 36 seasons since the last Stanley Cup parade on Broad Street. He said Weber also quietly visited Detroit, San Jose and New York. "It turns out, there was no real hard sell [on Weber]," Bousquet said. "There are a lot of great teams and organizations out there, in great cities. But when you put everything on the table, the Flyers were the best fit in nearly every category" I agree he didnt leave $ on the table and maybe he was concerned about the new CBA... thats reasonable.  But if I wanted to play somewhere else and Im probably the NHL's premier upcoming UFA, I play one more year in Nashville and just go shopping the following season rather than get boxed in.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

Sox, that's the point though isn't it? If he was really concerned about playing elsewhere then he would've gone the route you've suggested.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : Yeah it is...the big thing its legal.  When did all this play by the the hidden rules enter the league.  RFA comes with compensation.  I wish the Bruins would do it.  I don;t care if that hurts the feelings of other GM's...should there be UFA rules now bc Poile was offended by Suter?  It is a bit greasey but Jimmy Crack Corn And I Don't Care.
    Posted by shuperman

Didn't they sign Kevin Stevens to an offer sheet which the Pens matched?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : Didn't they sign Kevin Stevens to an offer sheet which the Pens matched ? Posted by dezaruchi

That's correct Harry's obession Dez. Then Sinden deals Murray and Smolinski to Pittsburgh for Stevens and McEachern. All for not until the Bs got some good years from Tocchet...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : I dunno, is this what you want to hear about the captain of your team for the next 14 years? "His agent, instead, wanted to stress that Weber wants to be in Philadelphia .  According to multiple sources, Weber spent parts of nearly 3 days in Philadelphia without as much as a hint of his arrival. He even enjoyed a pitch from Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider over dinner one night. Weber also toured the team's facilities and met key executives. Bousquet said Weber was attracted to the Flyers' rich history, tradition and eagerness to win — despite the fact that it's been 36 seasons since the last Stanley Cup parade on Broad Street. He said Weber also quietly visited Detroit, San Jose and New York. "It turns out, there was no real hard sell [on Weber]," Bousquet said. "There are a lot of great teams and organizations out there, in great cities. But when you put everything on the table, the Flyers were the best fit in nearly every category" I agree he didnt leave $ on the table and maybe he was concerned about the new CBA... thats reasonable.  But if I wanted to play somewhere else and Im probably the NHL's premier upcoming UFA, I play one more year in Nashville and just go shopping the following season rather than get boxed in.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

I was saying the same thing although he might not have gotten a 14 year contract with the new CBA. 
    I think that played a great deal with Weber's camp to sign now a long term deal now as a RFA.

Why don't Philly try their chances on PK Subban's RFA status ?
    PK also is looking for a long term deal to cash in just in case the new CBA has restrictions on the length of contracts .

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Are Offer Sheets Dirty? : That's correct Harry's obession Dez. Then Sinden deals Murray and Smolinski to Pittsburgh for Stevens and McEachern. All for not until the Bs got some good years from Tocchet...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It really complicated things when Stevens decided to become a crack-head after he was traded to the Bruins. That was quite a career that he ruined.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

When did it become a bad thing to hamstring your opponents using the rules established?  I have no issue with any of that.  What I think is stupid is the extraordinary measures teams use to try to discourage the current team from matching the offer.  It never works but it ends up getting a sweet deal for the player.

I can also see it slowing the process - a player who wants to pursue that sweet deal rebuffs all negotiation.  The team, rather than bid against itself to try and overpay a player into signing early, lets the player explore RFA, sign a deal, and then matches.  Basically, it's "prove to me someone will pay you more than we're offering".  If no one does, you've held the line.  If someone does, you match and congratulate the player on the strength of his conviction.  I've got half a donut here that says that's what happened with Weber last year - didn't he elect to go to arbitration late?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

When did it become a bad thing to hamstring your opponents using the rules established? 
    Posted by Bookboy007

When the Panty Police started watching hockey.

Sections
Shortcuts