Are Suspensions Working as a Deterrent?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Are Suspensions Working as a Deterrent?

http://nhlsuspensions.com/" rel="nofollow">http://nhlsuspensions.com/

With Brandon Prust likely headed for a 3 game suspension, it got me to thinking.  What if the NHL didn't allow for a player to replace Prust in the line up for those 3 games?  The Habs would have to skate down a player for the entirety.  Same thing for the Rangers and Carcillo's suspension.  Even though Stepan returned last night, probably not a wise decision, most times players don't come back to the line up and the team that was victimized has to skate with a man down.  Especially since the refs were wearing hab blinders and didn't toss Prust from the contest.  The Habs should have been down Prust for the majority of that game last night, could it have made a difference in a game that went to OT?  Now they simply replace him in game 4 with someone with fresh legs and most times more talent.  When you look at some of the meatheads that get suspended on the reg, it actually benefits the team when they replace them with a more skilled player while injuring their opponents skilled players.  What do you think?   

Street hockey is great for kids. It’s energetic, competitive, and skillful. And best of all it keeps them off the street.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Are Suspensions Working as a Deterrent?

No.

Maybe they are some sort of a deterrent, but as far as working to solve the problem?  No way.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=1166

Matt Cooke <-----------------

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Its out of whack,a player pushes an official and can get a 10 to 20 game suspension(i'm fine with that as physical abuse of an official is unacceptable),a player can try to take another players head off and get either,  nothing,1 game,2 games,3 games depending on injury and repeat offender status. Matt Cooke injures his 67th player and gets 7 playoff games with no loss of wages,it doesn't make sense,Shawn Thornton as a first time offender gets 15 games for punching a defenceless Orprick,while the John Wayne Gacy of hockey players gets 7 games? The NHL disciplinary branch was a joke ,is a joke,and will continue to be a joke until a player gets paralyzed or worse yet killed and then they will get SERIOUS i'm sure.The NHL better wake up and while their at it maybe review their  level of competence in the officiating department,worst reffing i have watched ever,including the regular season and involving all teams,not just the B's and thats saying a lot.It might be the hardest sport to officiate but it is also the most poorly officiated,imo.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

But 50, didn't you hear the latest according to Habs fans (all qualified MD's I am sure)? According to them Stepan was faking an injury on the play and broke his jaw throwing a hit later in the game. Poor, poor Prust....about to get a 1-2 game suspension or small fine because Stepan is a careless fake. He is the true victim here

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

No.

Maybe they are some sort of a deterrent, but as far as working to solve the problem?  No way.

Do you think making teams skate a player down during the suspension would help?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

But 50, didn't you hear the latest according to Habs fans (all qualified MD's I am sure)? According to them Stepan was faking an injury on the play and broke his jaw throwing a hit later in the game. Poor, poor Prust....about to get a 1-2 game suspension or small fine because Stepan is a careless fake. He is the true victim here

Haha, i knew that would be coming from Scab fans,i think i mentioned something about their fans on another thread. ;0

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

If the league starts punishing teams by subtracting players from their rosters for suspended players, the end of checking would not be too far off!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I think they need to start being stiffer with repeat offenders, none of this 'within 18 months of last incident' crap.

If youve been suspended before for a bad hit-tac on an extra 3 games regardless of how many you get suspended for.

If this is your 2nd trip-tac an extra 4.

3rd? Tac on an extra 5.

4th?  Add 10.

5th? Season.

Also, punish the teams by making THEM pay a giant fine. I feel like if you punish the teams, they will be clearer with sending the message to problem players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

If the league starts punishing teams by subtracting players from their rosters for suspended players, the end of checking would not be too far off!

What makes you think that?  How many hits are there in a season?  How many suspensions?  I am assuming than that you think making teams play down a man would be a good deterrent.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Haha, i knew that would be coming from Scab fans,i think i mentioned something about their fans on another thread. ;0

Gotta love that Hab "victim" mentality....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

In response to hangnail's comment:

What makes you think that?  How many hits are there in a season?  How many suspensions?  I am assuming than that you think making teams play down a man would be a good deterrent.

I think that if the league starts taking roster spots away, then coaches are going to tell players to dial back on the heavy hits.  Taking roster spots away is too drastic IMO.  I think it would lessen the amount of big hits that as fans, we enjoy seeing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

2004/02/21 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.

2009/01/27 Suspended by the NHL for 2 games.

2009/12/04 Missed 2 games (suspension).

2011/02/09 Suspended by the NHL for four games.

2011/04/27 Missed the last 10 games of the regular season and 7 playoff games (suspension).

2011/03/21 Suspended by the NHL for the remainder of the season and the first round of the playoffs.

2011/02/20 Missed 4 games (suspension).

2014/04/23 Suspended by the NHL for 7 games.

I mean the NHL really knows how to send a message.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In order to determine this, you can review the suspensions in years past and also take into account the violence of the game.

I don't feel like doing any research tonight, but I would think there have been many less hits from behind and I'm sure head shots are down.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I don't feel like doing any research tonight, but I would think there have been many less hits from behind and I'm sure head shots are down.

The retirement of Marchment alone reduced the number of hits from behind in the league by half........

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I think so, the playoffs are generally enjoyable to watch as the players are left to play.  The occassional incident does happen a la Clown Carcillo.  

It is not feasible imo to have a player suspended for the same number of games a player has injured (victim).  The situation would come up where an injured player or victim will be deemed unable to play by the team just to keep the suspension longer.  The NHL needs to be more assertive on dirty players like Cooke.  Sandog's example.  

"Don't judge me monkey" 

Sections
Shortcuts