Are the Bruins a target of the NHL and Officials?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Are the Bruins a target of the NHL and Officials?

I just posted the below in another thread, but thought this whole question was deserving of a new topic.  I'm not one to bring up officiating etc, but this just seems to be getting ridiculous, what does everyone else think?  Am I alone here?

Does it seem like an initiative from the NHL and the refs to punish the Bruins more severely for any scrum/rough stuff no matter the outcome?  Thornton gets jumped, Van gets 5-3 advantage.  Marchand ducks a hit (dirty play, deserved suspension etc) and he gets immediately tossed and 5 mins, suspension, the works.  Subban drops krejci with an elbow/head shot and we end up killing a penalty and PK is allowed to serve his quick 2 and get back on the ice.

So is this because we won enough of the fights that come from these scrums?  Is the NHL giving in to the whinning rat teams like Van, Buf, Mtl, etc who are soft, and complaining about everything so they can try to get an edge through whinning?  How about the NHL making them become skilled, tough teams like us philly NYR Chi Pit Det (i know, Det doesnt fight, but are hockey tough). 

Just because those other teams are complainers and full of soft guys shouldnt affect the way things get called, no matter how much their fans/players/front offices whine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Are the Bruins a target of the NHL and Officials?

C'mon, conspiracy theories are for Vancouver and Montreal.  There is no conscious effort to punish the Bruins from the league.

What there may be, is more of a backlash effect (see Bookboys thread yesterday), where some Bruin rivals have created such a narrative about the big, bad Bruins that it is all you hear about with this team.  Combine that with them slipping out of a few possible suspensions on borderline calls and some general rough play, and I think you get a scenario where everything a Bruin does will get an overreaction for some time.  No way does a player get 5 games for Marchand's hit in a game between Colorado and Nashville.  I think it has been bad timing and hopefully the Bruins perceived debts are now paid off.

In a way I think the same thing happened to Vancouver last year.  Everyone around the league got so tired of the Canucks diving, faking, and attempts to draw penalties, that a referee could stand there and watch Marchand punch Sedin 5 times in the face without blowing the whistle.  Better to pay the piper for your reputation in the regular season than the playoffs, fair or not.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Cmon...I give people on here a hard time during in game blogs when the refs are a little one sided. 
    At least bring some ammo to the plate.  Are we being disadvantaged more than other teams?
    Is it 10/1? If you look I wouldnt be surprised to see us with more PP advantages.  WHY? b/c we are a dominant team and draw more from playing the puck down low.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Ya last night against the Habs, I thought they got the raw end of some calls...Im not complaining, but it goes both ways on any given night.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

There have been some very strange calls and no-calls this year, especially lately. The Bruins are a strong and skilled team, although still some weakness on defense particularly. In the Montreal game it appeared that the refs have forgotten what the term "interference" means. it also appears that their perspective on "head targeting" was lost when Subban 's elbow bounced off of Kreji's helmet and Subban fell to the floor under Ference. In addition, the phantom "targeting the head" call on Thornton when he clearly bounced off of the guy's chest and never touched the head is suspect; as was Lucic's "leaving the bench" misconduct. The tapes are available for review between periods, and only laziness or embarrassment interfered with correcting Looch's banishment. Perhaps there is a need for improvement in the management of the referees. It's definitely a tough job, but one which they have chosen, rather than working in the mines or accounting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the penalty minutes or bad calls are the problem, or putting us at a disadvantage to win.  My point is, it seems like the whinning from places like Van and Buffalo have gotten through, that's why you see the Vancouver scrum that started with Thornton getting jumped 7 on 1, ended with Lucic getting tossed, and us being down 3 to 5.  Later Marchand has his own cheap shot and gets full punishment.  PK head shots Krejci with an elbow and MTL gets a PP?

It seems like they are trying to send a message to get the Bruins to slow down their intimidation in scrums or defending each other, that's all.  Why else would we have ended up dow 2 men in that Van game?  None of our guys did anything over the line there that Van didnt do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

It seems alot like when we habitually beat the Colts and Titans in the playoffs, Bill Polian and Fischer complained forever about how we play D and bump their receivers etc.  What happened?  They started changing the rules to appease the cry babies, now we get guys like Matt Stafford throwing for 5k yards.

My hope is the NHL doesn't punish teams like us, philly, NYR, CHI, PIT, etc for playing skilled, hard hockey, simply because softies like Buf Mtl Van etc complain non stop.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Bruins a target of the NHL and Officials?:
    C'mon, conspiracy theories are for Vancouver and Montreal.  There is no conscious effort to punish the Bruins from the league. What there may be, is more of a backlash effect (see Bookboys thread yesterday), where some Bruin rivals have created such a narrative about the big, bad Bruins that it is all you hear about with this team.  Combine that with them slipping out of a few possible suspensions on borderline calls and some general rough play, and I think you get a scenario where everything a Bruin does will get an overreaction for some time.  No way does a player get 5 games for Marchand's hit in a game between Colorado and Nashville.  I think it has been bad timing and hopefully the Bruins perceived debts are now paid off. In a way I think the same thing happened to Vancouver last year.  Everyone around the league got so tired of the Canucks diving, faking, and attempts to draw penalties, that a referee could stand there and watch Marchand punch Sedin 5 times in the face without blowing the whistle.  Better to pay the piper for your reputation in the regular season than the playoffs, fair or not.
    Posted by Fletcher1

I'm not saying we don't get enough PP's, I'm saying EXACTLY what you said in paragraph 2.

Shupe, I did provide examples, check the post again (thornton scrum, marchand getting deserved full monty for his hit, Subban not getting what he deserved).  My thought is those things are happening because of what Fletch said in his second paragraph.  That's the whole point, not that we shouldn't have gotten a slashing penalty in some game, or not enough PP's cause the refs dont like us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Bruins a target of the NHL and Officials?:
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think the penalty minutes or bad calls are the problem, or putting us at a disadvantage to win.  My point is, it seems like the whinning from places like Van and Buffalo have gotten through, that's why you see the Vancouver scrum that started with Thornton getting jumped 7 on 1, ended with Lucic getting tossed, and us being down 3 to 5.  Later Marchand has his own cheap shot and gets full punishment.  PK head shots Krejci with an elbow and MTL gets a PP? It seems like they are trying to send a message to get the Bruins to slow down their intimidation in scrums or defending each other, that's all.  Why else would we have ended up dow 2 men in that Van game?  None of our guys did anything over the line there that Van didnt do.
    Posted by bigbadbruinsfan

Well if you wanna really look I think it started last year with Chara.  Boston was in the paper a lot.  Winning the cup in Canada also helped bring Boston into a hated club by some. 
    Hey, if teams wanna hate us fine. I don't care.  We just gotta keep playing a brand that won the cup.
    I predicted that Marchand would be well on his way to this last year.  But winning and playing the brand we do isnt gonna sit well with anyone who doesnt cheer for this club

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Target? No.

I would agree the league is changing and the rough stuff isn't being tolerated quite so much... if the Bruins allow themselves to be baited as they did vs Vancouver, they will find themselves in the box much, much more than in the past.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

What motivation would the NHL have for targeting the Bruins? What would they be gaining from it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

A couple years ago when the Bs were in tight low scoring games, CJ would repeat the need for discipline when agitated.  It was a good strategy then and now.  The problem is the Bs are too quick to react.  It is becoming a habit.  I agree with Book in another thread when he wrote of Burrows and Subbans acting out after agitating as an embarassment to the sport.  I agree.  The question is not to react.  The NHL and Officials notice the reactions moreso.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Proactive or reactive, doesn't matter what works for them is to act like a team, that fine line means penalties, Ference or whomever has to respond to any play unlike what happened when Sav went down.

They took a beating when Z hit Pacc last year on the penalties and then it more or less evened out.  The refs easily see the Black and Gold colours in a scrum and with their toughness they usually get the extra. Right now the eyes are more focused on them due to incidents with Luc and March this year.  The focus should begin to decrease as Refs know their errors and will atone for them when it does not make them look as bad for evening up their mistakes.

Luc was turfed for not being in the wrong and March got an undeserved 5 games for a legal hit by definition of the rules. The B's got an unwarranted 3-5 for Thorn scrum and Fer got the extra 2 on pk.  When seen thru the eyes impartially and they have been seen, this extra b-ess should begin to tone down like it did last year after the Z incident, it just took time.

The B's are a complete team and to stay that team, they will handle the extra shiite like they have done this year and all last year.  They will continue to win and defend their linemates at whatever cost as that is what defines them as a team.

Thy will be done!

GOAT!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

The NHL ref's in my opinion give the B's the short end many times. I see so many non-Bruins games where a penalty shot is called, and see a very similar play against the B's with no penalty shot! And given, until recently, the B's bad power play, a penalty shot would have favored the B's much more than a minor penalty. And how about all the B's Montreal games through the years? Phantom calls on the B's, non-calls against the Habs, infamous too many men penalties, Yada Yada. I'm ranting now LOL 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Well that last call on the Habs with just over a minute left was a bad call
    You just don't call that with a min. left and basically end the game

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Last night against the Lightning I'm not sure what Seidenberg and Lucic did to get penalized but the call on Seguin was absolutely bizarre. He gets cut down from behind and is given a misconduct for flopping. Total BS!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'm with trouts on that. It was a miserable call on Seguin, and if anything it may have cost the team the game. Had the B's gotten the PP there, who knows what would have happened at 3-3. Marchand is a target as is Lucic, so yes there are particular players with bounties on their heads. Thornton used to be, but I think he's now only getting called for legit calls instead of some of the ticky-tack he got last few years (which at times made him a liability out there). As a team, I don't know about targets, but I do know that if a B delivers a crushing check, boarding and 5-minute majors are getting called while I've seen some recent hits on B's get no attention from refs. Conspiracy? I don't think so, but I do think there's more attention on the B's creating havoc than on most other teams. The refs need to go back and just call them as they see them.

Sections
Shortcuts