Are the Bruins Big & Bad Enough?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Re: Are the Bruins Big & Bad Enough?

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to lucdufour's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Size is a factor when talking about net precense.  The Caps did an unreal (record setting) job of blocking shots last year, but at the same time, Holtby saw a ton of pucks without any Bruin bodies in front.  Bigger talented forwards can create more havoc in front of the net which is needed in tightly contested playoff matchups.

Some of those Championship Red Wings teams that Kelvana mentioned had players who paid the price up front with Shanahan, Holmstrom, and a few others.    My point is that you need some talented guys willing to get in the dirty areas in addition to the softer, finesse players to have that perfect blend....and great goaltending, of course.

............................................................

During the Bruins cup run, which forwards were the most effective for them ? Hint: It wasn't the big guys.

I love having bigger players on the team but don't discount smaller players doing just as good of a job of going to the dirty areas, retrieving pucks and creating havoc in front of the net as the big guys.

In some aspects of the game, hands, quickness and speed can have the same results ( or better ) as having size as shown in the cup run. 

I agree Chowda. Not a big Marchand fan, but when he plays his best hockey he's as valuable as having a 6 2" 210lbs body! Not overly speedy, but fast enough to create problems. His hockey sense, poise with the puck & patience was well illustrated in the Cup gwg. Without his play the B's don't have their 6th cup imho.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but let's not forget that it was Horton who got both game 7 game winners to get to the final as well.    Marchand is an effective smaller player that does get in the dirty areas.  No doubt.  However, as a former D-man at a high level, it was way more work to move a big body from in front of the net; it was way more work to receive hits from big men to make a play, it was way more work to battle in the corners with these guys.  Overall, it is simply tougher to play against big men as a defense.

"In some aspects of the game, hands, quickness and speed can have the same results ( or better ) as having size as shown in the cup run. "---player profile of Scott Gomez.  

Unless you are truly special (like Datsyuk), you have to have some GRIT as well to survive long term as an effective small forward. 

What was the biggest reason the Bruins were essentially .500 after there huge streak last year? It would be tough to argue against losing a big bodied power forward in Horton was the biggest factor. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Of the 11 forwards we know will make the team, only one is under 6 foot. If we assume Bourque makes it, then it's 2 out of 12, and 8 are listed at over 190, and only one of the D is under 6 foot and not pushing 200 or over that mark - this is not a small lineup. I reject the premise of the initial post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

1. This isn't the same team as two yrs ago.  TT was simply outstanding.  Kaberle for all his haters has skill and ate minutes.  He didn't have a hit all playoffs but could move the puck.  But again. 2 yrs ago is just that.  No TT playing god and we win nothing.  

2.  I agree the caps size combined with speed and skill frustrated them.  our defence isn't fleet of foot. They are more hard working types.  

3.  I think our fwds are fine.  I'm not a DK fan at all though. He seems moody.  I still believe Seguin at center is the best option with Bergie as the number 2.  DK would be trade bait for a top 4 D.  

I think we need a few tweaks to be a contender.  right now I don't see that.  I'm not trusting our 6 d.  And I have no idea what to expect from rask.   Wonder if we could do a blockbuster with Anaheim.  I'm playing stupid gm but how about rask DK 1st rounder for Getz hillier beauchman. 

Love Getz.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

1. This isn't the same team as two yrs ago.  TT was simply outstanding.  Kaberle for all his haters has skill and ate minutes.  He didn't have a hit all playoffs but could move the puck.  But again. 2 yrs ago is just that.  No TT playing god and we win nothing.  

2.  I agree the caps size combined with speed and skill frustrated them.  our defence isn't fleet of foot. They are more hard working types.  

3.  I think our fwds are fine.  I'm not a DK fan at all though. He seems moody.  I still believe Seguin at center is the best option with Bergie as the number 2.  DK would be trade bait for a top 4 D.  

I think we need a few tweaks to be a contender.  right now I don't see that.  I'm not trusting our 6 d.  And I have no idea what to expect from rask.   Wonder if we could do a blockbuster with Anaheim.  I'm playing stupid gm but how about rask DK 1st rounder for Getz hillier beauchman. 

Love Getz.  

Agree with everything you said except I think they are a contender now, in fact I think they are one of the top teams in NHL as they stand.

Not sure about that treade proposal, I've never like Hillier. Love Getzlaf too, would take lot to get him here, that would be the right package.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I'd take any of the 3 of Perry, Getz, or Ryan for DK. Throw in some first rounders & a couple of prospects. I'm not a Hillier fan, so I'd keep Rask & Khudo over him.