Are the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Re: Are the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this season?

I say the B's are one of the top 5. Not in the top 3 though. Vancouver, Detroit & Pittsburg are better IMHO. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

What a DUM question..never heard about my prediction ??????????
    3 Stanley Cup in a row

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 (is that clear enough ????)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In Response to Are the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this season?:
    If you are a betting man and not a Bruins fan, you could say that one of Detroit, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philly, Washington, Tampa Bay will be raising the cup when the season is said and done Even Montreal with their fanatical fans making the last playoff spot would be considered a decent darkhorse bet Where do you think the Bruins stand in terms of their chances to raise the cup at this point? Are we a few pieces away? Have we learned our lesson yet? Is our defense ready to battle against a speedy offensive team in a 7 game series? Will TT let in fewer questionable goals in the playoffs? I think our team can survive and in some ways excel without Savard in the lineup but we are in a serious need of a legit PP QB to feel confident to go far in the playoffs.
    Posted by yaz16

Not with out healthy Savard

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Took a definite step back right now. The issue is the speed on our D, can they adapt to it.

But, the games still have to be played.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Bruins are better than Detroit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

With the Savard injury, I said No... but he really wasn't playing that well and I think they can use the cap relief and their picks to acquire the pieces they need.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

In Response to Re: Are the Bruins Stanley Cup contenders this season?:
    I say the B's are one of the top 5. Not in the top 3 though. Vancouver, Detroit & Pittsburg are better IMHO. 
    Posted by jwb413

You really think detroit pitt and van are all better than philly??

Vancouver, an argument could be made

Pitt and Detroit, philly is much better than them

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Wings are missing too many players right now....If they return, they contend.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

How I see it

True contenders: Philadelphia, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, Detroit

A piece or 2 at the deadline away from being true contenders: Boston, Dallas, Tampa, Washington, Nashville, Phoenix, Anaheim, Montreal, New York Rangers

Teams that if they get into the playoffs could have a chance for an upset, but dont bank on them making a cup run: Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, Florida, Chicago, San Jose, Colorado, Minnesota, Calgary, St. Louis, LA, Columbus

Just tank the season and hope for Larsson, Landeskog, Couturier, or RNH: Ottawa, New York Islanders, New Jersey, Edmonton

Just tank the season and hope for Larss... Oh wait thats right, you can't because Boston has your pick: Toronto

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoubleMinor. Show DoubleMinor's posts

I really think it all depends which Bruins team shows up in the playoffs.  The January Bruins have a shot.  The December Bruins do not.  It may all come down to how much rest Tim Thomas can get in the weeks before the playoffs.  Lesser teams have ridden hot goalies to the Stanley Cup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from deejm2112. Show deejm2112's posts

The only reason the B's are top 5 is SOLELY because of TT, tonights game is a perfect example, B's are sleep walking, TT has been stellar. Certain players really have to find thier game soon (Horton, Krejci)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

I've given up on Horton. So has CJ tonight. He is demoted to the third line

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Bruins are better than Detroit.
    Posted by bim09

Seriously !! Maybe with a few players out now for Detroit, but give me a healthy Wings team with the offensive power they have , the B's would have more than their hands full with them in a 7 game series.. The only advantage would be goaltending for the B's, but the B's would have to play some awesome hockey..

PC needs to add a few pieces at the trade deadline to help this team offensively..still to many underachievers this year offensively on the Bruins.. if he does nothing, it will be a short spring in the playoffs I am afraid..
    Just look at tonite's game against a very good LA team.. Shooting blanks..

My picks for Lord Stanley right now you have to go with Vancouver in the West and probably Philly or Pittsburgh , depending on Crosby health...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

no

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lewb60. Show lewb60's posts

The Bruins need more luck than they can reasonably hope for. But, hot goaltending is the x factor. Ask the 1972 bruins about Ken Dryden's goaltending.
     They don't have enough talent to score when coming from behind. If they go
    beyond the first round,their lack of scoring will be sorely tested. But still there is
    always hope. There are no super teams. There's a way to go yet still. The young guys are maturing and who knows if Lady Luck will smile on the B's

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to
    Teams that if they get into the playoffs could have a chance for an upset, but dont bank on them making a cup run: Atlanta, Carolina, Buffalo, Florida, Chicago, San Jose, Colorado, Minnesota, Calgary, St. Louis, LA, Columbus
    Posted by screw-cindy-and-ovie
    Atlanta, not enough offense. Carolina, not enough defense. Buffalo, to small. Florida, Dennis Wideman. Chicago, a shell of the team they were. San Jose, Joe T. Colorado, Goaltending but a chance. Minnesota, who would root for anything in Minnesota.. Calgary, just say no. St. Louis, weak offense. L.A. legitimate chance. Columbus, they have 2 lines.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins8. Show bruins8's posts

BOTTOM LINE    BRUINS HAVE AS GOOD A SHOT AS ANYONE ELSE   THERE IS NOT 1 TEAM IN THE NHL THE BRUINS CANT BEAT IN A 7 GAME SERIES, THIS IS TRUE ABOUT MOST TEAMS, ITS ALL ABOUT HEALTH AND LUCK, AND THE GOALIE  HABS HAD NO BUSINESS BEATING CAPS  GAME 6 CAPS OUTSHOT THEM SOMETHING LIKE 56-15 AND HABS WON THE GAME...ANY OF THE TOP 8 CAN REALISTICALLY WIN THE CUP 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

The Bruins have the best goalie in the league that is having one of the all time great seasons. I love how people gloss over the goalie comparison when looking at teams. Enough with the "if we didn't have Thomas" BS. If Washington didn't have Ovy or Pittsburg didn't have Crosby where would they be? If Buffalo didn't have Miller, they'd be worse than NJ.

While Philly is deep and has a top tier team, they don't have a Tim Thomas, or a Tukka Rask for that matter, that's what makes the Bruins a contender.

Stop downplaying the impact that a goalie can have on a team. I don't think fans realize how well he's been playing.

With Thomas this team is definitely a contender. Remember, last time he was healthy he won a Vezina.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

NO !

This team relies much too heavily on Tim Thomas. Without him they would be struggling for a playoff spot right now.
    Krejci and Horton are asleep
    Savard is once again injured and I would not expect much from him the rest of the way if he were to return.
    The defensive unit is pourous and it is great goaltending that masks their deficiencies.
    The power play is awful
    Their style of play is predictable,boring and unimaginative and while it may win you some games in the regular season the playoffs are a completely different story

Undoubtedly, there will be some changes made at the deadline and I will once again say that I believe Julien will be fired toward the end of the season and Milbury will be brought in for a kick in the pants emotioanal boost. There is just no way that Neely and Co. can allow this tean to sleepwalk through another postseason elimination.

We all want to see our Bruins win the Cup but my rational side tells me that this team is still a work in progress that needs to leverage its young talent, draft picks and dabble in the free agent market to craft a true contender.

Let's stop being fooled by that great fist half of the season a couple of years ago. That was not reality !!!! The listless team that we have seen for the last year and a half is what they truly are and that is not good enough to be considered a contender.

sometimes the truth hurts.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shaunk. Show shaunk's posts

I would say no until they can prove that they are better than being up 3 games in a series only to lose four straight and blow said series.  Such a task can unfortunately not be done until the postseason. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if the bruins sneek in as an 8th seed. Is it a disappointing regular season? yes. But if they subsequently tore through the post season to at least make the stanley cup finals, then I would be fine with it.  Seems these Bruins need people banging pots and pans, screaming 'YOU ARE AN AWFUL TEAM!' directly in their faces over and over again to gain some sort of sustained motivation to win.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

2-6 vs the West. Even if they got thru the East they would lose in 4 straight like always.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

2-6 vs the West. Even if they got thru the East they would lose in 4 straight like always.
    Posted by nash99

Gee your always a bright ray of sunshine when you post huh?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

Until they get a truly elite player instead of the collection of second rate talent they have now they have no shot at a Cup. Honstly, this team could lose in Round 1 to Montreal, NYR or Carolina very easily. Their talent is not that great and they are proven chokers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

doesn't everyone "have a shot" since the season isn't even half way over Bruins8?? you say NOTHING profound

Sections
Shortcuts