ARE THE NFL'S PLAYOFF OVERTIME RULES SUPERIOR TO THE NHL'S?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

ARE THE NFL'S PLAYOFF OVERTIME RULES SUPERIOR TO THE NHL'S?

SERIOUSLY... is there a better overtime or walk off than what happened yesterday in the tim tebow game yesterday? no way that ending happens with the old boring 3 play kick a field goal rules. goody got it right, give the man his props. old fogies like our boy bb were against it, didnt like the fact you played under one set of rules during the reg season then had to change to this context in playoffs. i LOVEEEEE it. giveS THe playoff stage more gravitas if u will. broncs were going for the homerun win right then and there. baseball does the walkoff thing but its like that all the time. i say just save it for the playoffs. college football is a total joke with their start at midfield gimmick and just keep going and going where you dont really win but survive while risking serious injuries due to the extended intense play on defense. the nba should have a first 3 pointer walk off, imagine the defense and excitement then?

SOCCER AND HOCKEY ARE PRETTY CLOSE SECONDS (esp with hope solo back there), or atleast they used to be with the old sudden death rules. to me, if u score a freakin goal in overtime, the game should end right there and then. to keep playing afteer one team scores in overtime is ridiculous. talk about leaving them wanting more and ending it on a high note, putting it all on the line for the one special break. shootouts and penalties are cool though once there is no sudden death in the FIRST extra period. i love the nhl's decision to stop with all the ties and have that exciting penalty shootout system. i say the nhl is a closer second.

TO me (half-kidding), the nfl should have a field goal penalty-type kickoff rather than settle for ties at the end of the first 12 minute extra period. like you just get 5 random guys other than the kicker to come out there and take a shot  at making 40 yard field goals under pressure. you keep going with 5 til you get a winner.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Re: ARE THE NFL'S PLAYOFF OVERTIME RULES SUPERIOR TO THE NHL'S?

That was a crummy ending. Both teams should get a possession, no matter what.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FranklinFlyers14. Show FranklinFlyers14's posts

In Response to Re: ARE THE NFL'S PLAYOFF OVERTIME RULES SUPERIOR TO THE NHL'S?:
    [QUOTE]That was a crummy ending. Both teams should get a possession, no matter what.
    Posted by Tommy617[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the NFL is the only, only league, where a coin flip can (doesn't always) but can decide a game.  It's the only league where both teams do not have an equal opportunity or even both get possesion.

I was dissapointed because I misunderstood the new NFL playoff rules, which I though both teams got at least one possesion and then it went to first score first win.

There is no way in the playoffs any overtime comes close to the NHL.  They just keep playing and playing with breath holding shots every time if this will be the time. 

Soccer is okay with it's no sudden death goal, but then it leads into a potential championship shoot out.  Imagine game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals going to a shoot out.

Nope nothing compares and the NFL does not even come close.  Nathan Horton in game 7 against the Canadiens, much more exciting than yesterdays finish.  Period.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In the NFL there should at least always be a rebuttal.

If you go first and score the other team gets a rebuttal. If you go first and dont score and the other team scores no rebuttal.

But I think just playing the game it was meant to be played for an extra 1/4 or period is what you should do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Actually the NFL changed the OT rule. It's just that the only way you can win on the first possession is if you score a touchdown. If they kicked a field goal, Pittsburgh would have had a chance to get the ball back. It is only sudden-death
    now on 1st possession touchdowns. And that's how it happened unfortunately for Pittsburgh, and fortunately for Patriots in the long run. Denver is not that good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

NHL OT is still the greatest ever. It's literally winner take all, and that's how you should decide a game, not "shootouts."..ugh and boring, and not hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NFL's not even close to NHL playoff overtime. The continuous play until someone wins is the best overtime there is.

For football, the best OT rules are CIAU. Both team gets a possession and you keep going back and forth at it until someone wins. I was at the Vanier Cup this year that went into double OT. One of the most exciting finishes to a football game I've ever seen. Much better OT rules than the NFL's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

Just to clarify...that was the Bronco's v Steelers game, not the Tim Tebow game.

Sections
Shortcuts