Are We Back in the Seventies?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Are We Back in the Seventies?

The way the Bruins are playing and with their pop gun power play it might not have made a difference but .....................  5 power plays to none!!?  Ghosts of the Forum - BS!!!!  Only if the ghosts are waering stripes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Re: Are We Back in the Seventies?

Usually the way it happened back then was there would be 5 penalties at the beginning of the game against the hab's opposing team.  The habs would usually pop in 4 goals because they had the skill to do it.  Then when the game was out of reach the refs would give the habs a few penalties and the next day it would look like the refs had no effect on the game

Ofcourse if the game happened to be close in the last 3 minutes of a game you just knew the habs were going to get a powerplay and usually score.

You might ask why were the refs so intimadated?  Just look at last year's Chara/Pac play.  The prime minister, Air Canada and the police all put pressure on the NHL to do something on a play that all GM's called a hockey play.  Can you imagine the behind the scenes pressure that happened back then??

Politics is a dirty game my friends...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Are We Back in the Seventies?:
    [QUOTE]Usually the way it happened back then was there would be 5 penalties at the beginning of the game against the hab's opposing team.  The habs would usually pop in 4 goals because they had the skill to do it.  Then when the game was out of reach the refs would give the habs a few penalties and the next day it would look like the refs had no effect on the game Ofcourse if the game happened to be close in the last 3 minutes of a game you just knew the habs were going to get a powerplay and usually score. You might ask why were the refs so intimadated?  Just look at last year's Chara/Pac play.  The prime minister, Air Canada and the police all put pressure on the NHL to do something on a play that all GM's called a hockey play.  Can you imagine the behind the scenes pressure that happened back then?? Politics is a dirty game my friends...
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

You are exactly right as to the sequence of events.  Before they won the Cup last year, the last time the Bruins had been there of course was in 1990.  I thought again that the Oilers got some borderline at best penaltiy calls early in those games as well.  I don't have the stats but I am sure the Bruins got some calls as the game went on to make it seem more even.  It was nice last year to see the Bruins perhaps get a "little" edge went it came to refereeing, in the Finals.  Over the years I don't recall the Big Bad Bruins getting much of the benefit of the doubt from the men in stripes, so it was about time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

Of course, the Bruins got the first 3 PP of the game on Thursday night (and had a 6-1 advantage on PPs overall in that contest) but why mention that?

By and large, most of the penalties called in both games--against players from both teams-- were fully deserved. Montreal is also one of the most penalized teams in the NHL so far this year (and was either #1 or #2 last year)--that, too, was fully deserved.

But the myth continues that the Habs "get calls" and are favoured by the officials. Facts show otherwise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

I read a study once on the phycholgy of refs and it shows that home teams, popular teams and legendary teams always get the calls in the long run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]I read a study once on the phycholgy of refs and it shows that home teams, popular teams and legendary teams always get the calls in the long run.
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

The Bruins, at least when compared to most of the other teams in the NHL, fit into all of those categories, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I wish the only problem the Bruins had was their powerplay. Badly reffed games usually even out for both teams through the season(s) anyways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Not really.. back then itwas all about Canada.  Canadian players, canadian refs, canadian coaches, etc... why do you think Montreal was able to draft all the best french Canadians?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Are We Back in the Seventies?:
    [QUOTE]The way the Bruins are playing and with their pop gun power play it might not have made a difference but .....................  5 power plays to none!!?  Ghosts of the Forum - BS!!!!  Only if the ghosts are waering stripes.
    Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

Credit Subban (RoboScum). Nearly does a Nadectomy on Ference and the refs don't see it. The Lucic slash bearly touched the back of Subban's calf and you would think he got his leg caught in a wood chipper. The guy pulls it off and the refs buy it -- amazing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I didn't watch the game yet so it's hard for me comment . One thing for sure Dave Jackson should never ref Bruin-Hab games. He's from Montreal, lives in Montreal and his whole family and most of his friends are Hab fans.
    He's on Montreal's local radio station (TSN 990) often, now are the voice of the Habs and do all the play by play.
    I never like his officiating when the 2 teams play .
    As for Thursday the Bruins got most of the calls and didn't score on the PP and that's why they lost (Bergeron's goal was total fluke).
    On paper last night game looked like the same type of game being called just that it went the other way, the Habs got most of the calls, BUT they scored on their PP twice convincingly to put the game away from a struggling team offensively.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Yes in most cases reffing does even out over the year but don't tell me the Habs of the 70's didn't get extra calls. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Of course I meant extra calls going their way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]Of course, the Bruins got the first 3 PP of the game on Thursday night (and had a 6-1 advantage on PPs overall in that contest) but why mention that ? By and large, most of the penalties called in both games--against players from both teams-- were fully deserved. Montreal is also one of the most penalized teams in the NHL so far this year (and was either #1 or #2 last year)--that, too, was fully deserved. But the myth continues that the Habs "get calls" and are favoured by the officials. Facts show otherwise.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

By the way I don't think they get the benefits of extra calls anymore.  That is why the subject post was - are we back in the 70's?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Are We Back in the Seventies?:[QUOTE]Yes in most cases reffing does even out over the year but don't tell me the Habs of the 70's didn't get extra calls. Posted by huntbri[/QUOTE]

I felt back then that the Habs did get extra calls but I also believed the Bruins during the 70s had built themselves such a reputation plus took horribly bad penalty after bad penalty. Milbury, O'Reilly, Marcotte and Redmond amongst others used to lead that parade to the box allot for a ton of retaliation penalties, Montreal knew how to bait them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I thought the Bruins played right into any advantage from the officials in the Bell Centre.  The Bruins are riding big egos right now, and seem to think that they are above getting any questionable shots on them them.  I saw Hal Gill put a decent cross check on Horton, which maybe, possibly, could have been called.  It was marginal.  Instead of shaking it off and focusing on winning, Horton tracked Gill down and delivers a blatant cross check from behind, right in front of the official.  If you already know the officials are inclined to give the Habs powerplays in the Bell Centre, you've got to be a lot smarter than that.  Same with Ference.  I saw the Bruins take a lot of stupid penalties that might not be overlooked in any building, and certainly won't be overlooked in Montreal.  Dumb.

All of that said, I am really puzzled that PK Subban still has such an easy time drawing penalties.  You would think refs would have caught on to his act by now.  That's exactly why Marchand needs to clean up his act -- he never gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.  On Saturday, Subban got the star treatment from Jackson.  Why I don't know.

Bottom line though, the Bruins have to be smarter and learn to turn the other cheek every now and then.  They are not above getting questionable hits and calls.  Deal with it, and keep your focus on winning the game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

[QUOTE]Not really.. back then itwas all about Canada.  Canadian players, canadian refs, canadian coaches, etc... why do you think Montreal was able to draft all the best french Canadians?
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

They inked them to C-forms, the same way everyone else did until the late 1960s.

Sections
Shortcuts