Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast?

He's the popular whipping boy right now, just as Horton was a few months ago.  Granted, Kaberle has less time to make us believers, but can he up his game and become a factor - starting TONIGHT??  Come on Tomas, you may never be this close to a cup again!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast?

Horton's issue was always effort, which is something that really sticks in the craw of a hard-working fan base. We want to see our teams compete hard win or lose. Once Horton raised his compete level, the fans got behind him.

Kaberle is different. Just doesn't seem like the talent is there, which makes it easy to shrug our shoulders and say it's time to move on.

I don't think anyone WANTS to see him struggle. Just calling it like it is. A proud New England tradition.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast?:
    Horton's issue was always effort, which is something that really sticks in the craw of a hard-working fan base. We want to see our teams compete hard win or lose. Once Horton raised his compete level, the fans got behind him. Kaberle is different. Just doesn't seem like the talent is there, which makes it easy to shrug our shoulders and say it's time to move on. I don't think anyone WANTS to see him struggle. Just calling it like it is. A proud New England tradition.
    Posted by asmaha

Asmaha, I disagree that effort was ever a problem during Horton's time as a Bruin.Like Horton, Kaberle could win over the fan base with a few timely points. The Bruins fan base has a serious case of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Horton was on fire after the first 10gms think he was scoring at greater than  a 50goals pace. Kaberle has done nothing since he got here.

Things I remember Kaberle doing

Weakly turning the puck over behind the net GM1 MTL

Cross Ice Laser to set off Ryder for a goal GM3(4?) MTL

Weakly Turning the puck over behind the net GM1 TBL

AFAIK he didnt even play vs philly. I think that he has the talent but right now he's not mentally or physically there. He looks out of shape and intimidated most nights. If signed and made to workout with Chara all summer we'd see a much improved Kabs next year. Its just a question of whether or not he plays himself out of a contract. At this point i'd say maybe he has.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Horton was on fire after the first 10gms think he was scoring at greater than  a 50goals pace. Kaberle has done nothing since he got here. Things I remember Kaberle doing Weakly turning the puck over behind the net GM1 MTL Cross Ice Laser to set off Ryder for a goal GM3(4?) MTL Weakly Turning the puck over behind the net GM1 TBL AFAIK he didnt even play vs philly. I think that he has the talent but right now he's not mentally or physically there. He looks out of shape and intimidated most nights. If signed and made to workout with Chara all summer we'd see a much improved Kabs next year. Its just a question of whether or not he plays himself out of a contract. At this point i'd say maybe he has.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey

I suspect you might change your mind if he has 2 or more points in tonight's game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

No intensity....lazy D to D to get rid of the puck....slow skater....won't stop/ reverse if he can glide....weak shot....dislikes board work....seems to want the season to end...

Back to TO next year, or wherever....Let him go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Dez - I meant that when fans were getting down on Horton, the whole "laziness" and "he has a history of disengaging' nonsense came out. I personally don't think he had a lack of effort, I was more saying that's what the perception was. You and I know the real thing was point production and it cured all ills when he started scoring again. On that point you're dead right.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

In Response to Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast?:
    He's the popular whipping boy right now, just as Horton was a few months ago.  Granted, Kaberle has less time to make us believers, but can he up his game and become a factor - starting TONIGHT??  Come on Tomas, you may never be this close to a cup again!
    Posted by hangnail

I don't think anybody's giving up on him.  From the team perspective they have tried coddling him as much as possible.  That technique did not work.  Now you try to shame him into better play through public calls for accountability.  I'm sure from the inside there have been far more variations on the attempts to motivate him, from the outside these are the two obvious and visible methods that we can see.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

An enigma to me. Cannot understand why Chiarelli has been so sold for so long. He is a slower skater than expected; he is not noted for his checking capability; His passes are usually good; He doesn't really shoot; but, Savvy was usually a pass first for a score, and Kabs doesn't have that same game; he obviously doesn't fit into Julien's "system" very well. Why is that, if he is so experienced?? Has he performed better than Kamfer?? Too many questions so far.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast? : I suspect you might change your mind if he has 2 or more points in tonight's game.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Maybe I will. If its a turning point and not just a flash in the pan(ahem Ryder), the last thing this team needs is to have another player who plays well only once every 15-20gms.

The "what have you done for me lately" thing doesnt work with Kaberle either, its more like "what have you ever done as a bruin" I know its a small sample size but he has not done much. No wonder people are down on him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

I haven't given up on Kabby. I have noticed when Kaberle wants to rush the puck he finds himself alone cause the Bruins forwards have gone for a change. I feel that if Kaberle can get it going he will help us out in crunch time. I also believe the time is now to pair him up with Chara and give him the green light to push the offence. We have 3 nice pairs Chara/Kaberle, Siedenberg/Boychuck, and Ference/McQuaid.

We have not seen Kabs's best yet and hopefully it comes at the right time. The Bruins need his help if they are going to win the Cup.

PS maybe try Campbell on the PP cause nothing else is working.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKNWQ0LNdqM

I love that goal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Dez - I meant that when fans were getting down on Horton, the whole "laziness" and "he has a history of disengaging' nonsense came out. I personally don't think he had a lack of effort, I was more saying that's what the perception was. You and I know the real thing was point production and it cured all ills when he started scoring again. On that point you're dead right.
    Posted by asmaha

To be fair to Horton, if I were a young millionaire living in Florida and playing for a horrible team that no one cares about, my effort might be a little lackluster too so his history of disengaging is understandable to a point.

I think Horton now "gets it" about the need for conistency in effort. He has been doing very well up to this point in the playoffs.

As for Kaberle, well it might be either a case of him being past his prime or an inability to adjust to a new setting considering he did play for Toronto for the better part of a decade. Either way, however, he is in for a major dissapointment come July 1 when his UFA offers will be  less then kind...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Kaberle's performance on the ice speaks for itself. He is what he is & I never had high hopes for him in Boston. Never did like the idea of trading for him. To say the least he has been a huge bust. I think all the heat he is taking for his play is very justifiable. P.C. gave up way too much for this guy. Brian Burke made out like a bandit on this one! Will P.C. cut his losses & let him walk as a ufa at the end of the season?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

Kaberle has reached a new level of suckatude.  He's worse than Wideman and has definately played himself out of a contract.  God, I hope he has.

Dez, he could make stretch pass to Ryder every game from here on in and still be a huge liability on the backend.  And, since when did you become the expert on Boston's fanbase?  That was a good one.

I think they should scratch Kaberle, dress 5 defensemen and give Seguin a regular shift.  His offensive ability far out-weighs both Kaberle's offensive and defensive capabilities, combined.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

Horton's issue was always effort, which is something that really sticks in the craw of a hard-working fan base. We want to see our teams compete hard win or lose. Once Horton raised his compete level, the fans got behind him. Kaberle is different. Just doesn't seem like the talent is there, which makes it easy to shrug our shoulders and say it's time to move on. I don't think anyone WANTS to see him struggle. Just calling it like it is. A proud New England tradition.
    Posted by asmaha

asmaha i disagree with horton not giving effort issue. that's the one thing i thought he has always brought this year. i thought that he received alot of flack from bruins because of the lack of scoring over a long period of time during the season. he was hot early and didn't really get back on track until after the all-star break.
    kaberle i have given up. what a bust. and like 98% of bruins fans i wanted chiarelli to make the move. the body of work is there too if he still manages to pass the eye test on some bruins fans. 36 games 1 goal 11 assists for 12 points and a plus +9. he has been awful. its a shame to cause think of what juggernaut this team would be if this guy came as advertised? but i honestly hope he can turn it around like shupe and dez tell me cause i am fully prepared to apologize for being wrong but there isn't much time left. as far as a contract with the bruins goes there is not way i don't care if a labodimey is done were his brain is put into charas body. kaberle is just not that player anymore. slow disinterested and doesn't like to go into the dirty areas. chiarelli will pass.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

To answer the question, yes.  Kaberle is the second-most prolific Defenseman scorer in the NHL post-lockout.  He is not fast, he is not physical, but he is good.  He is also, contrary to what seems to be public opinion, not bad defensively.  He is plus-6 in the playoffs, and plus for his career despite playing most years for a dismal defensive team and despite getting most of his points on the pp.  You can be unhappy with his production, you can not like his style, but to say he is a bad player or lacking in talent is not correct.  You can't score more points than anyone but Lidstrom without talent.  I think he has been fine but not outstanding.  I tend to blame his adjustment from Toronto to a real team, a lack of finish from teamates, somewhat weak strategy from Geoff Ward and bad luck for Kab's lack of numbers.  The situation reminds me a lot of Larry Murphy in Toronto being the whipping boy, fans saying he was too slow, then getting traded to Detroit and being a key piece of two cups.  As long as the fans don't start booing Thomas K, I think he'll deliver some key moments.  He already has.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

No intensity....lazy D to D to get rid of the puck....slow skater....won't stop/ reverse if he can glide....weak shot....dislikes board work....seems to want the season to end... Back to TO next year, or wherever....Let him go.
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan

Skating and passing is Kaberle's game.  He is a great skater!!  The rest I agree with.  He has not played well and lacks the intensity needed for play-off hockey.  That could be because he played for the Laffs.  Play-offs, you're talking play-offs!!!?  Not in Toronto, so he has not seen the play-offs since 2004. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

To answer the question, yes.  Kaberle is the second-most prolific Defenseman scorer in the NHL post-lockout.  He is not fast, he is not physical, but he is good.  He is also, contrary to what seems to be public opinion, not bad defensively.  He is plus-6 in the playoffs, and plus for his career despite playing most years for a dismal defensive team and despite getting most of his points on the pp.  You can be unhappy with his production, you can not like his style, but to say he is a bad player or lacking in talent is not correct.  You can't score more points than anyone but Lidstrom without talent.  I think he has been fine but not outstanding.  I tend to blame his adjustment from Toronto to a real team, a lack of finish from teamates, somewhat weak strategy from Geoff Ward and bad luck for Kab's lack of numbers.  The situation reminds me a lot of Larry Murphy in Toronto being the whipping boy, fans saying he was too slow, then getting traded to Detroit and being a key piece of two cups.  As long as the fans don't start booing Thomas K, I think he'll deliver some key moments.  He already has.
    Posted by OatesCam

Plus, who would the B's replace him with in the line-up? Hnidy is their first option and he can barely play 4 minutes a game plus there is no way he will be quarterbacking the PP. Kaberle will play. Let's hope Ward finally figures out a way to use him more effectively....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Posted by hangnail

He has had 3 good games (his first 3) since he arrived.  How long do you think it should take to judge whether or not he is a fit here?  He is definatly not worth resigning.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In Response to Are we giving up on Kaberle too fast? : He has had 3 good games (his first 3) since he arrived.  How long do you think it should take to judge whether or not he is a fit here?  He is definatly not worth resigning.
    Posted by dbg1

I didn't say anything about resigning him.  My point was I think he can be better - I'm still waiting for him to show me something.  When is that going to happen, if ever?  I'd like it to start tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Posted by hangnail

In 36 games with the Bruins 12 points ...with is a .3 pts per game = for a 82 games season ....a big 27 points ....WOW ...I would ship him to Russia with a free ticket one way only ....in the KHL ...

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

Ya know. I'm one to always give one a chance as i did toward everyone on this team. I was fired up when we got kaberle, allot of others were saying not good blah blah but i was like you know he on a new team, gotta give guy a chance to adapt. kelly and peverly has some what adapt more than kaberle. I mean i don't know what could get you this more fired up than being in the eastern conf. play off game one step away from the cup. So for that alone, makes me to start to turn my back on kaberle. If kamper was ready, i'd be one for having him in kaberle place. If kaberle goes back to TO next year, this whole thing, trade was a set up on their end to get back at us for the first round draft pick. whoknows.

go bruins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Costas-V. Show Costas-V's posts

I don't think we are giving up on Kaberle too fast.  He was a softy in Toronto, who's fan base always criticized him for his lack of defensive ability.  As far as his offensive production, I think he is on the downhill.  He has done nothing but hurt the powerplay even more.  The opposing team is backing off of him giving him the shot, which then allows them to clog more passing lanes, block shots, and clear the puck with ease.  For someone who was an allstar at points in his career to lose confidence and perform so poorly is pretty ridiculous, I just think he has lost it.  He looks timid and scared out there.  I think it was more a man crush thing on him than him ever really being "great"  he was good in his prime, not great.  He was overrated by everybody in the league except the people in toronto. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think he has been fine but not outstanding.  I tend to blame his adjustment from Toronto to a real team, a lack of finish from teamates, somewhat weak strategy from Geoff Ward and bad luck for Kab's lack of numbers.  The situation reminds me a lot of Larry Murphy in Toronto being the whipping boy, fans saying he was too slow, then getting traded to Detroit and being a key piece of two cups.  Posted by OatesCam

Really good post OC and why I haven't over reacted to Kaberle's few gaffs. At this point I don't care if Tomas is resigned the gamble is worth it because of what Chiarelli already has in picks. Kaberle can only go up in play now I have a feeling he will.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I know what I've said before , and I know what happened last game but as long as the Bruins stay in the play off this year I won't give up on Kaberle. He just needs to believe in himself.

Sections
Shortcuts