Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414354

Although I still think it unlikely, the door is open for a trade. Being MTL-BOS, it would never happen. Forget all that....for you armchair GMs out there, what would you honestly trade for PK, and what contract would you offer if you were PC?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

tointo get PK you are looking Hamilton and a pick.  Stick with what we have and someone for 3 rd line and d-man.  

Pk in my eyes will win a Norris eventually.  He will cost a lot.  

oilers for Yako. 

Detoit should offer sheet him. They would be the ideal landing spot.  I would rather have PK over Suter.  Offer him that contract. 

Chicago for leddy and Kane.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

tointo get PK you are looking Hamilton and a pick.  Stick with what we have and someone for 3 rd line and d-man.  

oilers for Yako

Detoit should offer sheet him. They would be the ideal landing spot.  I would rather have PK over Suter.  Offer him that contract. 

I thought about this last year before the draft, which i guess the Habs would have used the pick to take Yako.Actually would be a good trade. PK would fit right in with all those young guys and their up tempo game. Detroit needs D also, don't know what they could give up in trade. Maybe Philly will give up Couturier for him. B's have Dougie, no to PK.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

oilers for Yako

I thought about this last year before the draft, which i guess the Habs would have used the pick to take Yako.Actually would be a good trade. PK would fit right in with all those young guys and their up tempo game. Detroit needs D also, don't know what they could give up in trade. Maybe Philly will give up Couturier for him. B's have Dougie, no to PK.

Detroit should offer sheet him.  Lose the picks.  If they offer him a huge deal Montreal isn't likely to match.  They will take the first round picks.  Detroit is an ideal landing spot and they could use him in the worse kinda waY. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Leddy AND Kane?  Shupe, were you forced to take narcotics to protect your cover again?

asmaha, I'll go with your instruction that this is never going to happen with Boston.  I'll also assume my goal is to pry PK loose, so it has to be an offer I think the Shabs would consider.  And once I have him, I'll have to pay him something close to what he's asking - so an Edler deal.  That means enough coin that an offer sheet would require that I give up first, second and third round picks.  Anything less valuable than this and the Shabs say go swing.

Roster player - probably a top six forward or a young 3-4 defenseman with some puck skills.  Plus a first and a prospect.  The equation will vary depending on the calibre of team making the offer.  A Bruin first rounder, for example, isn't going to carry as much weight, so the player and prospect would need to pick up the slack.  Same for the Canucks or the Kings or the Devils or the Penguins.  Same thing if the quality of player you can afford to offer is middling - you might have to give up a first and a third.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think PK's career has peaked.  From what I've seen of him I don't think he will get any better.  I thnk he's one of those guys who arrive on the scene with good skills and you think he will get better, but never does.  I would go slightly more conservatively than Book.  2nd line forward, then I agree with the rest.

I don't see a Norris in PK's future.

I think Hamilton has significantly more upside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I think PK's career has peaked.  From what I've seen of him I don't think he will get any better.  I thnk he's one of those guys who arrive on the scene with good skills and you think he will get better, but never does.  I would go slightly more conservatively than Book.  2nd line forward, then I agree with the rest.

I don't see a Norris in PK's future.

I think Hamilton has significantly more upside.

Peek?  You realize how young he is and that he can dominate games.  Back to how young he is.  Most d-man take yrs to find their game.  The year we won the cup did you think he peeked as basically a rookie.  He avg more ice time then any player in the series including chara.  

Book-  what is Kane really?  Have you ever checked his stats out.  I thought he was a bigger pt producer.  He is a one dimensional player who would likely thrive in Montreal.  Leddy is a good young player but is no PK.   So a top 6 fwd. Or a top 4 d.  Prospect and a 1st rounder.  Why not just offer leddy and Kane.   Maybe Montreal tosses a pick or a guy like moan back to even it out. 

I may over value PK but to me he's a top 5 in the next decade. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

We'll see.  Much unlike Stanley I can make a 100% accurate prediction - and that is that not all of my predictions will be right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Flyers are just crazy enough to give it a shot.  Bet you a dollar that Bergevin's first input on that call is, "So...Giroux and a first?" just to hear Holmgren lose his nut.  King of the practical joke and all....  They might think about Couturier and a pick to rebalance their youth movement.

Putting the main question aside for a second - my worry as a GM would be that I'm getting Bryan Berard - a guy who can be dynamic but is an injury away, or who could quickly age out, from being fairly run of the mill.  Great athlete, and that might be disguising the fact that he plays a just-slightly-above-average game.  I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition right now, so a long term high value deal is a risk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Flyers are just crazy enough to give it a shot.  Bet you a dollar that Bergevin's first input on that call is, "So...Giroux and a first?" just to hear Holmgren lose his nut.  King of the practical joke and all....  They might think about Couturier and a pick to rebalance their youth movement.

Putting the main question aside for a second - my worry as a GM would be that I'm getting Bryan Berard - a guy who can be dynamic but is an injury away, or who could quickly age out, from being fairly run of the mill.  Great athlete, and that might be disguising the fact that he plays a just-slightly-above-average game.  I'd say that's a 50/50 proposition right now, so a long term high value deal is a risk.

Bryan berard ?  Now who's smoking the exhibits. Are you for real. PK is a physical talented player who is better then berard ever was.  His energy and personality combined with that talent that plays ever situation.  Run of the mill?  

Wow.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

He can't dominate games in all three zones. he can dominate one zone. shupe, you over value PK and he will never win a norris. i'm not even sure he'll ever be a finalist 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

He can't dominate games in all three zones. he can dominate one zone. shupe, you over value PK and he will never win a norris. i'm not even sure he'll ever be a finalist 

Again.  In a 7 game series against the Stanley cup champs he played every situation.  And had more ice time then chara or anyone.  As a very young player. He plays against the other teams best and drives them nuts.  He hits. He can score and anchor a pp. he also kills penalties and a pleasure to watch.  Which zone doesn't he dominate.  Realize how young he is.  Do you realize how long it took Pronger to dominate the game?  Any d for that matter.  To me he is a complete pkg at a very young age    hate on him for his antics but he has a boat load of skill that hasn't even reached mid 20s.  

bet team Canada will be looking at him next year.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Like the discussion here. My two cents is that it's one thing to offer a boatload of cash and pay on potential, but another to pay a boatload of cash on potential AND give up significant roster players/picks in addition. He has to see this - that Montreal is the only real landing place. Instead of the long term deal now, take a 2 year deal, show your stuff and then cash in. I don't see why it's not happening. As you've all noted, I can't imagine many other teams giving up what they'd have to give up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

go have a look at Pk first two seasons. His playoff and AHL numbers.  Combined with his dominating play at world juniors.  His stats nearly mirror drew.  We can't be talking about the same guy.  38Pts and then 36pts.  Played amazing in the playoffs and nearly helped his underdog team knock us out.  He's 23.  Slightly above avg?  Run of the mill and isn't a complete player.  He also has an annoying confidence that wills him to be better and has missed 6 games in 2 yrs.  he was benched not injured.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

Like the discussion here. My two cents is that it's one thing to offer a boatload of cash and pay on potential, but another to pay a boatload of cash on potential AND give up significant roster players/picks in addition. He has to see this - that Montreal is the only real landing place. Instead of the long term deal now, take a 2 year deal, show your stuff and then cash in. I don't see why it's not happening. As you've all noted, I can't imagine many other teams giving up what they'd have to give up.

I'd agree with this completely. He really is in the drivers seat. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

I'd agree with this completely. He really is in the drivers seat. 

Right now? As it stands & I want the Bruins to win a another Cup with Chara still effective. I'd trade Hamilton for PK in a New York second! Two yrs from now I wouldn't, but for this season & next. In a heartbeat. Anyone who doesn't think this guy will be a Norris Trophy candidate in the next 5 seasons has blinders on! He can't fight worth a lick & is an idiot at times, but this guy can skate, shoot, hit & pass with the elites when he's on his game. Montreal will regret not keeping this kid if they let him go. After Markov & Gorges there's nobody. And nobody in their system that comes remotely close to PK. He was a plus player on team with no offense, or defence. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

According to McKenzie, they're $2.5-$3 million a year apart... just how much is this kid asking for?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

According to McKenzie, they're $2.5-$3 million a year apart... just how much is this kid asking for?

6. And a long term.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

$6 mil a year i think. Doug McLean on sportsnet was talking about that being the figure anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Over and above how much talent PK has, whats he like as a teammate ? Seems like a bit of an ego maniac, likes the sound of his own voice, but i guess when he grows up a bit he'll learn its not all about him. Other teams might want him but i'm sure the asking price will be very high, if the Habs trade him at all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

3m a year only ?? no way ! 

I'm with Shupe on this one. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Jesus... at this point in his career what idiot GM (aside from Holmgren) is going to pay him that kind of cash, especially long-term? I like PK's play, but this makes me think his ego could eclipse the moon.
    He thinks he's twice as valuable as Dennis Seidenberg? Seriously? Maybe someday, but certainly not yet.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Interesting thread. I'm a big fan of P.K's game. Not so much of his antics though. He oozes with talent. I'm with Shupe, top 5 d-man in a few years, but right now, I don't trade Kane for him straight up if I'm Chicago. Edmonton for Yakupov? On first look, people will think it's crazy, cuse Yakupov comes so highly rated but look deeper into it. Can Edmonton afford to keep all those young forwards intact and compete since so much money will be tied up in them they will have patchwork on defense and in net. If I'm Edmonton I look into trading a forward for Subban,most likely have to be a package and call Ottawa about Ben Bishop.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Guys/Gal,

Ask yourself this.  How many true dominant dmen are out there at his age.  His numbers compare with them all.  His energy as a Bruins fan drives me nuts but he doesnt take any nights off.  BC of this energy he may come across as a me first type of player.  For me I would want his personality.  He was absolutely fantastic in the playoffs as a 20-21 year old.   I mean fantastic. 

If Ryan Suter got his money for riding Shotgun with Weber I am pretty sure PK is gonna get paid. 

Honestly, when you consider his position, how many minutes he eats, the pts he puts up and more importantly his age there are few guys I would want over him.   Pietrangelo in my mind is the best young dman out there.  PK isnt too far away from him.  And he will also sell tickets and loves the camera.