Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

The Habs and PK are acting like the 2 sides in the lockout. PK does want too much money (5.5 per for 5 years) but the fact remains, the Habs are trying to lowball him (2.5 per for 2 years). Neither side should really feel like their offer has a real chance of being accepted. Meet in the middle and get back on the ice. The Habs are definitely better off getting PK signed before Markov gets hurt. Waiting until Markov needs season ending surgery could be disastrous.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I hate it when teams and players can not get deals done.  That being said, when it is Montreal and it is one of there top D men it doesn't seem to bother me too much.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Rufus604's comment:

I hate it when teams and players can not get deals done.  That being said, when it is Montreal and it is one of there top D men it doesn't seem to bother me too much.

I hear you on that one Rufus.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The Habs will take on contracts like Gomez & Kaberle yet play hardball with PK.... interesting. This is all about a team trying to show a player who's boss. The Habs know how valuable PK is but because he is young they likely feel insulted that he would ask for so much so soon. Its like the B's paying a guy like Coffey(washed up) because he had tenure in the league but would hardball the younger more talented players to prove a point, that being, they hadn't put in their time. Sort of a crazy way of looking at it but i'm glad the B's management changed from the dinosaur era and became more proactive. Glad to see Seguin, Marchand, Lucic locked up for awhile.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

The Habs will take on contracts like Gomez & Kaberle yet play hardball with PK.... interesting. This is all about a team trying to show a player who's boss. The Habs know how valuable PK is but because he is young they likely feel insulted that he would ask for so much so soon. Its like the B's paying a guy like Coffey(washed up) because he had tenure in the league but would hardball the younger more talented players to prove a point, that being, they hadn't put in their time. Sort of a cra zy way of looking at it but i'm glad the B's management changed from the dinosaur era and became more proactive. Glad to see Seguin, Marchand, Lucic locked up for awhile.

50, I've got to admit I like seeing teams use what little leverage they have when negotiating deals with RFA's. Even a guy like Stamkos was paid too much. What I mean is T-Bay could've at least waited for him to sign an offer sheet before shelling out offer sheet money.  Same thing with Doughty as it didn't look like anyone was ready to poach either player. Lecavalier was already a perrenial all star and Cup winner before he got that kind of money. Oh yeah, he'd also won a Richard trophy of his own.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The Habs will take on contracts like Gomez & Kaberle yet play hardball with PK.... interesting. This is all about a team trying to show a player who's boss. The Habs know how valuable PK is but because he is young they likely feel insulted that he would ask for so much so soon. Its like the B's paying a guy like Coffey(washed up) because he had tenure in the league but would hardball the younger more talented players to prove a point, that being, they hadn't put in their time. Sort of a cra zy way of looking at it but i'm glad the B's management changed from the dinosaur era and became more proactive. Glad to see Seguin, Marchand, Lucic locked up for awhile.

50, I've got to admit I like seeing teams use what little leverage they have when negotiating deals with RFA's. Even a guy like Stamkos was paid too much. What I mean is T-Bay could've at least waited for him to sign an offer sheet before shelling out offer sheet money.  Same thing with Doughty as it didn't look like anyone was ready to poach either player. Lecavalier was already a perrenial all star and Cup winner before he got that kind of money. Oh yeah, he'd also won a Richard trophy of his own.

Do you think that they got a little nervous about that Dez & figured he'd get that kind of an offer anyway, or more? So may as well get it over with. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

Do you think that they got a little nervous about that Dez & figured he'd get that kind of an offer anyway, or more? So may as well get it over with. 

Nite, I just find that idea confusing. Considering they held the right to match any offer, why not wait for one to come in? I like Stamkos and feel he's worth the cash. I just think GM's need to be willing to gamble a bit and use any leverage they can get. Cheers! The unread post stars are back!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

PK to Edmonton!  They have players to attract Montreal to trade.  Me thinks Montreal knows this tactic, yes not smart with regards to gaining the player's loyalty as PK knows full well his leverage is weak, but smart with regards to making other potential teams to make offer sheets then trade.  The middle ground is a trade without an offer sheet.  Toronto? A savior for many a team in the NHL.  Vancouver?  Whachathink North?  Just maybe, the Molson group in Montreal has a better grip on PK than we think!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

PK to Edmonton!  They have players to attract Montreal to trade.  Me thinks Montreal knows this tactic, yes not smart with regards to gaining the player's loyalty as PK knows full well his leverage is weak, but smart with regards to making other potential teams to make offer sheets then trade.  The middle ground is a trade without an offer sheet.  Toronto? A savior for many a team in the NHL.  Vancouver?  Whachathink North?  Just maybe, the Molson group in Montreal has a better grip on PK than we think!

Isla, I read an article today suggesting the Jets as a fit. I wonder if either team would be OK with trading PK for Kane straight up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I am intrigued by a Calgary trade as well.  Iginla and a prospect.  Why not build confidence with Iginla with a prospect to appease the Quebec masses.  

Isla, I read an article today suggesting the Jets as a fit. I wonder if either team would be OK with trading PK for Kane straight up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Armchair GMs: What's the deal with P.K. Subban?

Kane is a nut case fitting of Subban....I am not sure the new management team in Montreal want that kind of player Dez.  Kane needs to go to a team like Detriot, Philly or even some of the aging west coast teams ie. San Jose.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Kane is a nut case fitting of Subban....I am not sure the new management team in Montreal want that kind of player Dez.  Kane needs to go to a team like Detriot, Philly or even some of the aging west coast teams ie. San Jose.  

Isla, I just figured it would be 1 huge personality being traded for another. Both players seem to have lost some of their fanbase lately. I do think you're right though. No chance of it happenning. I just enjoy the speculation.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from burythehabs. Show burythehabs's posts

Iginla has NMC.

He wants to be traded to a contender, not the crappy shabs or a team that gets the #1 pick every year

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Habs will take on contracts like Gomez & Kaberle yet play hardball with PK.... interesting. This is all about a team trying to show a player who's boss. The Habs know how valuable PK is but because he is young they likely feel insulted that he would ask for so much so soon. Its like the B's paying a guy like Coffey(washed up) because he had tenure in the league but would hardball the younger more talented players to prove a point, that being, they hadn't put in their time. Sort of a crazy way of looking at it but i'm glad the B's management changed from the dinosaur era and became more proactive. Glad to see Seguin, Marchand, Lucic locked up for awhile.

Reminds me of Slats with his outrageous contracts then plays hardball with his RFAs recently.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to burythehabs' comment:

Iginla has NMC.

He wants to be traded to a contender, not the crappy shabs or a team that gets the #1 pick every year

hmm, and what are his options with his last year of his contract!  Boston? Nope dream on!  Philly, has cap issues!  Who wants a player whose contract is about to expire!  My point is the Molson team is looking for leadership, Iginla is the type to lead a young team.  If not he is a free agent, thus the comment on young prospect(s).  How old is Iginla me asks knowing the answer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The wait is over! Signed a 2 yr deal. No amount disclosed. 

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414701

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

2 years $5.75 mill in total....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yea pro-rated this yr & it ends up being 3.75 next yr. Which is EXACTLY what I think he deserves at this point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Yea pro-rated this yr & it ends up being 3.75 next yr. Which is EXACTLY what I think he deserves at this point.

Exactly, plus if he is qualified at the end of next year it will be at the $3.75 mill rate . Fair.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Great deal for habs.  Good job montreal gm.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Agreed! NAS is wayyyy off in his comparison's. Those two are a couple of notches behind PK. Stats don't tell the full story of a d-man & what he brings to a hockey team. PK does give the puck away, but he also takes it away & gains the offensive zone 3x as much as Del Zotto & Kulikov. And neither of them has the cannon that PK has.

How far was I off, Nite?  "wayyyy"?

Is $600,000 really "wayyyy" off in today's NHL?

Suck it!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

True, 50 but that was different management and philosophies with Gainey followed by Gauthier.