Around the League - 2013 Edition

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Around the League - 2013 Edition

With or without Nash tonight I didn't expect New York to be 2 games above .500. Not complaining I love it.

Man are the Blackhawks en fuego right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yea they're unbelievable ..and Winnipeg takes a W in Buffalo, no wonder Sabre fans want Lindy's head.  Man are they inconsistent.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

Tick, Tock, Tick ,Tock... Time is ticking in Buffalo and Lindy's days are numbered...longest tenured coach in the NHL currently seems to be not pushing the right buttons..

This team has stopped listening and now you have players like Miller yapping about the team's failures In public , never a good thing for a coach to hear...this team is on the outside looking in right now and looks to me won't make the playoffs.... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

What a great goal by Datsyuk .

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=203451&lang=en&navid=DL|DET|home

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=203451&lang=en&navid=DL|DET|home

Watched it live last night then had to watch again this morning to make sure Pavel really went through 4 Preds. Just unreal is what Pavel is!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Watched it live last night then had to watch again this morning to make sure Pavel really went through 4 Preds. Just unreal is what Pavel is!

Me too !

Best 200 foot player in the game.

I heard a humourous line about him this week.

" He's the only player in the league who can lift me out of my seat.........on a backcheck".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment: What a great goal by Datsyuk .

Me too !

Best 200 foot player in the game.

I heard a humourous line about him this week.

" He's the only player in the league who can lift me out of my seat.........on a backcheck".[/QUOTE]

What a great description of Pavels game!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Ryan Murphy, Carolina's 12 overall pick in 2011 is playing in his first game tonight for the Canes against the Jets. He looks like he is 12 years old.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And Murphy is now -1, 1:53 into the game. Tough luck kid.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lol!  I thought the same thing, jm.  Welcome to the league, Ryan.  What I'm about to type will make it sound like I harbour ill will for the kid - I don't.  But now we get to see whether the "they should have taken Murphy" crowd has a leg to stand on, or if we'll all be singing Hamilton's praises in the round.

Speaking of rookie d-men, Hamilton is now tied with Justin Schultz as the leading rookie defenseman in scoring.  That's part of the story of Oilers this year.  Only 5 teams are off to worse starts.  They've given up 7 more goals than they've scored, but because they rely so heavily on the PP to score, their  5 on 5 differential is 0.52 - basically they give up two 5 on 5 goals for every one they score.  Worst in the league by miles.  As a result, you look at the +/- for that team and they're ug with a captial ly.  Yakupov, N. Schultz (-9) and J. Schultz (-6) are the worst.  Hall has only 3 goals, Eberle only 2 even strength, Hemsky 3 (less than half of his 7) and Yakupov 2.  Seven of J. Schultz's eight points are PP points (for Hamilton, it's two of eight).

Expectations were so high for that team because everyone (who picked them to be massively improved...) looked at the high picks and the offensive skill and figured, well, they're bound to figure it out sometime.  No they're not.  Until they figure it out, it's not a sure thing that they'll figure it out.  I can't decide if Krueger is the right coach - trying to change them into a more complete team, but experiencing growing pains right now - or absolutely the wrong coach (RNH looks lost offensively).  But one thing's for sure - the salivating over the numbers Schultz et al. were racking up in OKC sure needed to be put into perspective.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Do you think once the Oilers get the revenue from a bigger arena and suite sales, they will spend more money on payroll ? Edmonton needs more size n toughness on the blueline.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think it's a payroll issue with them even now, though Katz or Cates or however his name is spelled may be lowballing the payroll just to make it seem that way.  Lowe was ready to spend like the Rangers with basically the same revenue pie.  I think they're committed to the draft build for now, that's all.  And there haven't been the D UFAs that could help them.  They probably signed the best UFA last year in Schultz - at least, for their situation.

I look at what the 'diques/Avs had to do in a similar boat back in the days of Sakic, Sundin, Nolan, Ricci, Forsberg et. al.  They became contenders when they made some trades to acquire veteran talent. Some worked - Roy.  Some didn't - Wendell Clark.  But they had to diversify so it wasn't a team of young guys trying to evolve into a winner.  The Oilers had a few wiser heads in their day too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Looks like Ovechkin might be back. Five to go in the 3rd against NJ and he's already got a hat trick along with 5 hits. Caps lead 5-1.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Didn't want to start a thread for this, but didn't know where to put it since it's not a hockey thing, so I thought here would work since it's about another sports club.

If you want to read some of the most amazing and touching sports stories I've ever seen google "Bradford Bantams" and look at the news stories. Best underdog story I've ever heard of - over coming a tragedy that killed 56 fans, two bankruptcies, an economy that makes Detroit look well-off, race riots, cancer, Muslim players overcoming systemic racism, an out of nowhere teenage phenom, overcoming 10,000-1 odds from bookmakers, a team with a total payroll of $10,000, and a player going from being a shelf stocker in a grocery store to playing in the National Championship game. A Hollywood script writer couldn't even make up this story.

Whether you like soccer or not, if you like amazing sports stories, read up on this one. Unreal. My don't miss sporting event for the weekend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Lol!  I thought the same thing, jm.  Welcome to the league, Ryan.  What I'm about to type will make it sound like I harbour ill will for the kid - I don't.  But now we get to see whether the "they should have taken Murphy" crowd has a leg to stand on, or if we'll all be singing Hamilton's praises in the round.

Speaking of rookie d-men, Hamilton is now tied with Justin Schultz as the leading rookie defenseman in scoring.  That's part of the story of Oilers this year.  Only 5 teams are off to worse starts.  They've given up 7 more goals than they've scored, but because they rely so heavily on the PP to score, their  5 on 5 differential is 0.52 - basically they give up two 5 on 5 goals for every one they score.  Worst in the league by miles.  As a result, you look at the +/- for that team and they're ug with a captial ly.  Yakupov, N. Schultz (-9) and J. Schultz (-6) are the worst.  Hall has only 3 goals, Eberle only 2 even strength, Hemsky 3 (less than half of his 7) and Yakupov 2.  Seven of J. Schultz's eight points are PP points (for Hamilton, it's two of eight).

Expectations were so high for that team because everyone (who picked them to be massively improved...) looked at the high picks and the offensive skill and figured, well, they're bound to figure it out sometime.  No they're not.  Until they figure it out, it's not a sure thing that they'll figure it out.  I can't decide if Krueger is the right coach - trying to change them into a more complete team, but experiencing growing pains right now - or absolutely the wrong coach (RNH looks lost offensively).  But one thing's for sure - the salivating over the numbers Schultz et al. were racking up in OKC sure needed to be put into perspective.

Guilty your honor! I'm totally shocked at the mess in Oilland. At least my call on Dubnyk is right so far. He certainly hasn't been the reason the Oiler's are losing. He's been a 1,2,3rd star on every one of his wins & even got a 3rd star on a couple of losses. But, so much for my 3rd seeding for them this yr. There really must be a big glaring difference between the AHL & NHL. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I've got an internet radio and tuned into tsn radio 1290 - home of the jets.

Wow.  These people are outright rabid.  who was at the optional skate and chasing down some rookie Peluso (or something) and asking him what he's going to do for the rest of they day in NYC (he's going to get a cup of coffee btw).  Just nuts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

At the end of the second period the Leafs lead the home Flyers 2-1.  The action only started to pick up towards the end of the period after Hartnell scored Philly's goal. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

At the end of the second period the Leafs lead the home Flyers 2-1.  The action only started to pick up towards the end of the period after Hartnell scored Philly's goal.

Just laughing at the look on Phanuef's face as he realized Hartnell drew the interference call. This game has the makings of some more good fights for sure.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Just laughing at the look on Phanuef's face as he realized Hartnell drew the interference call. This game has the makings of some more good fights for sure.

It does, San.  With the Leafs just going up 3-1 frustration might set in with the Flyers causing them to resort to cheap stuff. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Man I tell yah Ottawa is really impressing me with their play. I thought to myself without Spezza and Karlsson they were done. Fighting tooth and nail tonight with the smurfs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'm stunned that they've been able to hang around, 'Dawg.  They're so far down their depth chart it's like they've called up Bitz, Huml, Karsums, and Valabik and they're still winning.  The guy who has their goal tonight, Dave Dziurzynski is a crazy story - never played major junior or NCAA.  Played Junior A in Alberta and BC, had one decent year in the BCJHL (once home to Lucic and Huml) and signed with the Senators as a project in Binghamton because he's a big body who can skate and has no delusions that he's more than what he is.  Now he's an NHLer on a team that keeps winning. 

Silfverberg is a pseudo-rookie, and I think he'll end the year close to the top of the rookie scoring.  Zibanejad is a true rookie and he might finish not-far-behind Silfverberg.  Wiercoch and Benoit have been the same kind of story as Boychuk and McQuaid when they first came up - you didn't know if they'd stick, but they just kept grinding out games (different kind of player entirely, though).  Plenty of guys who are just barely established NHLers who are playing good team hockey - Greening, Condra, Daugavins.

I thought that bubble would burst when they lost Anderson for a few, but Bishop has held the fort.  You have to think a hard rain is gonna fall sooner rather than later, but man, give Paul Maclean credit...that's a great 'stache.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'm stunned that they've been able to hang around, 'Dawg.  They're so far down their depth chart it's like they've called up Bitz, Huml, Karsums, and Valabik and they're still winning.  The guy who has their goal tonight, Dave Dziurzynski is a crazy story - never played major junior or NCAA.  Played Junior A in Alberta and BC, had one decent year in the BCJHL (once home to Lucic and Huml) and signed with the Senators as a project in Binghamton because he's a big body who can skate and has no delusions that he's more than what he is.  Now he's an NHLer on a team that keeps winning. 

Silfverberg is a pseudo-rookie, and I think he'll end the year close to the top of the rookie scoring.  Zibanejad is a true rookie and he might finish not-far-behind Silfverberg.  Wiercoch and Benoit have been the same kind of story as Boychuk and McQuaid when they first came up - you didn't know if they'd stick, but they just kept grinding out games (different kind of player entirely, though).  Plenty of guys who are just barely established NHLers who are playing good team hockey - Greening, Condra, Daugavins.

I thought that bubble would burst when they lost Anderson for a few, but Bishop has held the fort.  You have to think a hard rain is gonna fall sooner rather than later, but man, give Paul Maclean credit...that's a great 'stache.

True.  They're playing that same tenacious style from last year on into the playoffs vs NYR.  Speaking of Maclean...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6jB2nq7INo&feature=share&list=UUbrOpxWGY5sJ5Eh1xXFwQlA

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-18/sports/37146017_1_paul-holmgren-flyers-coach-peter-laviolette-claude-giroux

Is Laviolette in trouble ?

Or

It is Holmgren ? He gave the players to his coach and therfore the GM takes the blame for the mess Philly finds themselves in...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If I'm Ed the Sock, I'm mad at whoever is responsible for me paying $5M a year to Pronger for the next four years of his recovery and $5.67M a year for the next seven years to a guy who can't stop the puck, especially when the back-up plan is "hey, remember 2010 and that improbably playoff run we had with Boucher and Leighton?  Yeah...good times, man!"  They don't even have a goalie prospect worth mentioning - well, they have Stolarz but he's not under contract yet and the clock on him is ticking because the two-year exclusive neg rights ends this summer.  They have almost no cap room next year unless they buy out Bryz on an amnesty buy-out (can't do that with Pronger - injured!).

None of that is Laviolette's fault, is it?  Plus, Laviolette's gotten more out of Voracek than anyone, gotten superstar efforts out of Giroux, and really good production out of Simmonds and Read.  They tried to rebuild their offense on the back of young guys, and the young guys have been pretty good as a whole.  No defense and gutwrenching bad goals are why this team is struggling.  Again, that's on Homer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I agree it should be Holmgren that takes the fall not Laviolette. He should have paid more attention to his defensman a little more.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/316

Pronger's contract goes to $4M in 2014-15, then $575K in 2015-16. Philly is stuck with his contract because I don't believe you can do an "amnesty buyout" on an injured player.