Around The League - Playoff Style

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Around The League - Playoff Style

In response to Kennedy97's comment:

And Montreal isn't as good as that team was, either...despite winning the division. They're young and they stayed healthy all season, more than anyone else did. Now OTT is healthy and MTL isn't (Gionta probably shouldn't have played, Eller is out, Prust looks like he's in rough shape, and maybe Price?). Naah....no way they come back from this. They'd have to be fully healthy to compete with a fully healthy OTT team, who may have won the division themselves if they had been as healthy as MTL was all year.

I'm OK with that, though. MTL was dead last in the conference a year ago. They're good and they're young. They've already exceeded my expectations. As long as they don't go out and embarass themselves like they did in Game 3, I'm pretty satisfied with the shortened season.

To be fair, anything is possible.

At any rate, Bergevin should be happy with the team he has put together no matter the outcome of this series. You are right, they have come a long way in a short time and their core is young. They will learn and move on...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

one problem though, the habs NEED markov to be healthy. He isn't getting any younger and isn't exactly an iron man.

He's been pretty quiet hasn't he? I am even watching the games on CBC with Bob Cole and Markov has still been a relative non-factor this series.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

one problem though, the habs NEED markov to be healthy. He isn't getting any younger and isn't exactly an iron man.

I think the dependence on Markov is waning. They sure lucked out that he played the full season this year though. But I don't expect him to be expected to carry the same weight and ice time for the Habs next year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Roy hits Stuart from behind...nasty hit.

SJ scores in the ensuing pp.....good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Markov is a huge part of the PP, so when Ottawa take one minor penalty in a full game in Ottawa, it sure helps keep him quiet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Only way it could be worse is if they went down 3-1 because a guy got lightly slashed in overtime and then just quit on the play, leading to a breakaway goal that ends the game. THAT would be a situation from which they could never possibly come back! Wink

Except Anderson is not Raycroft....

And Montreal isn't as good as that team was, either...despite winning the division. They're young and they stayed healthy all season, more than anyone else did. Now OTT is healthy and MTL isn't (Gionta probably shouldn't have played, Eller is out, Prust looks like he's in rough shape, and maybe Price?). Naah....no way they come back from this. They'd have to be fully healthy to compete with a fully healthy OTT team, who may have won the division themselves if they had been as healthy as MTL was all year.

I'm OK with that, though. MTL was dead last in the conference a year ago. They're good and they're young. They've already exceeded my expectations. As long as they don't go out and embarass themselves like they did in Game 3, I'm pretty satisfied with the shortened season.

Yup. The Habs have exceeded almost everyone's expectations this year and will be better next year. Ottawa is playing great. Glad the Bs pulled Toronto.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

OK, if the Pittsburgh coach runs Fleurey out there again next game, he should be fired before the first period ends.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Caschmucks coming out charging SJ in the third and Biter Burrows tie it 2-2.  Less than 2 minutes later Edler just gave Vancouver the lead 3-2 with 8:58 left in regulation. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Kennedy,  your Norris Trophy nominee is not on the ice with 1min left ? no61 is on ? just doesn't seem right.   

Habs are falling apart , the're breaking down and getting injured. Pacioretty shouldn;t be playing .

Freakin Vancouver is winning !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

It's all over for Nucks again. Sharks in OT at 13:18 on controversial PP.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Its only controversial in Vancouver. They lost, so it's the refs' fault. Stop me if youv'e heard them say that before.

And Bieksa in the box for the tying goal. Delicious.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

As much as I like to see the Canucks loose, I don't like to see it like that.  Clean shoulder to shoulder hit and a blown call leads to their early exit. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

Tonight was a good night for hockey. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

OK, if the Pittsburgh coach runs Fleurey out there again next game, he should be fired before the first period ends.

I agree:  how can he put Fleury back out there? I'll be stunned....it's not just his play in this series, but looking back at last year as well, when he was brutal in losing a series to a Philly team that they never, ever should have lost to. The Cup win where Fleury did play well seems like forever ago: it's only been 4 years.

Vokoun isn't going to bring back any memories of Patrick Roy or Tim Thomas, but he should at least be steady. That'd be more than the Pens have received so far.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

Kennedy,  your Norris Trophy nominee is not on the ice with 1min left ? no61 is on ? just doesn't seem right.   

Habs are falling apart , the're breaking down and getting injured. Pacioretty shouldn;t be playing .

I don't pretend to be an NHL-level strategist, but Therrien's personnel moves certainly do make me wonder at times. Alex Galchenyuk has a very good game: he doesn't see the ice for the last 10 minutes. Gabriel Dumont is winning faceoffs: he's also not on the ice. PK Subban is a Norris finalist for his offensive output no doubt...but he's been reliable enough defensively. I don't want to say he should have been out there at the end because I'd have to go back look to see if his pairing was out there when the icing was called 20-30 seconds previously. If he was, he probably was gassed and had to come off the ice with Georges replacing him (and Diaz coming on as well). But if not, yeah....those 2 aren't exactly a shudown pair.

Injuries are fatal: Emelin, Eller and Gionta all out. Pacioretty is certainly dealing with something. Prust was hurt earlier in the game, still battled, and may have done himself in by continuing to go all out. Price may be out. Hard to come back missing that many people. And that's not an "excuse"--the only reason the Habs are in the position they're in is that they stayed healthy all year. Had they not been, they never finish #2 and would have been in the battle for the final playoff spots. In other words, they'd have been the Sens, who dealt with injuries all year--now that they're healthy, their full capabilities are showing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

F the Habs.  Cheap, diving, sucker punching losers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Much weeping and nashing of teeth by Habs fans this morning over the Zibanejad goal that went off his skate blade. Therrien blaming the refs for, I guess, not calling enough penalties so the habs can have more pp's.

Life is good.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I don't pretend to be an NHL-level strategist, but Therrien's personnel moves certainly do make me wonder at times. Alex Galchenyuk has a very good game: he doesn't see the ice for the last 10 minutes. Gabriel Dumont is winning faceoffs: he's also not on the ice. PK Subban is a Norris finalist for his offensive output no doubt...but he's been reliable enough defensively. I don't want to say he should have been out there at the end because I'd have to go back look to see if his pairing was out there when the icing was called 20-30 seconds previously. If he was, he probably was gassed and had to come off the ice with Georges replacing him (and Diaz coming on as well). But if not, yeah....those 2 aren't exactly a shudown pair.

Injuries are fatal: Emelin, Eller and Gionta all out. Pacioretty is certainly dealing with something. Prust was hurt earlier in the game, still battled, and may have done himself in by continuing to go all out. Price may be out. Hard to come back missing that many people. And that's not an "excuse"--the only reason the Habs are in the position they're in is that they stayed healthy all year. Had they not been, they never finish #2 and would have been in the battle for the final playoff spots. In other words, they'd have been the Sens, who dealt with injuries all year--now that they're healthy, their full capabilities are showing.

The Sens still aren't healthy without Spezza. They're a very scrappy bunch.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

OK, relatively healthy--certainly not like they were dealing with a month ago. I'd heard talk that Spezza could be back (even some projection of last night). Not sure where he is in his recovery, but the Sens have had some guys come back way earlier than expected, so maybe he's heading the same way.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

OK, relatively healthy--certainly not like they were dealing with a month ago. I'd heard talk that Spezza could be back (even some projection of last night). Not sure where he is in his recovery, but the Sens have had some guys come back way earlier than expected, so maybe he's heading the same way.

I knew what you meant and you're basically right. I actually wonder whether Spezza's return would help the Sens or not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Much weeping and nashing of teeth by Habs fans this morning over the Zibanejad goal that went off his skate blade. Therrien blaming the refs for, I guess, not calling enough penalties so the habs can have more pp's.

Life is good.....

He's not blaming them for PP chances and forgetting about the obvious "fix the games so that Montreal" wins strategy that everyone knows exists. He's blaming them for the kicked-in goal (debateable--certainly not a no-brainer either way) and blowing 2 late icing calls (one debateable, one horribly botched). 

But more to the heart of the matter, I really wonder how he claims the Habs didn't sit on the lead. They definitely did, and that more than anything cost them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I knew what you meant and you're basically right. I actually wonder whether Spezza's return would help the Sens or not.

Gotta think so dez.  Sens are a little engine that could story line.  They had problem scoring with spezza.  sens pp hasnt been very good.  Spezza would give them a big boost.  Hes their best fwd. he probably would mean that useless clwn Neil would be in the stands watching.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Anyone else finding themselves rooting for the Islanders? I do, and it's not a anti Iginla,Cooke or Crosby thing, just find myself liking them. A lot of it has to do with Tavares, what a player, but I like that teams mojo, if that makes any sense.

and that might be the first time I've ever used the word mojo. I don't even know what it means.