Articles on Campbell Story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Articles on Campbell Story

hey,

thought it would be great if people find interesting articles on the Campbell Story to post them here so we can get some good reads.  I'll start with this one:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/shouldn+give+Colin+Gregory+treatment/3840444/story.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

Re: Articles on Campbell Story

Here's another good one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/time-to-change-nhl-gene-pool/article1801701/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

Thanks for the links. It's encouraging to know that somebody in the sports media is taking the NHL to task.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

...and another from Bob McKenzie (TSN Insider):

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=341501

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sgebhardt8. Show sgebhardt8's posts

In Response to Re: Articles on Campbell Story:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the links. It's encouraging to know that somebody in the sports media is taking the NHL to task.
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Pathetic, isn't it?  We always think of Hockey as the last of the "pure" sports, but just by reading some of the blind propaganda written by these so called journalists.

Sad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Articles on Campbell Story : Pathetic, isn't it?  We always think of Hockey as the last of the "pure" sports, but just by reading some of the blind propaganda written by these so called journalists. Sad.
    Posted by sgebhardt8[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately McKenzie's piece is one. His "boys will be boys" excuse-making is extremely disappointing. I expected much better from him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I am really irritated in the fact this is getting so little traction. TSN is burying it and NHL.com even refuses to run it. McKenzie especially disappoints me. His whole "it wouldn't matter anyways" tack is flat out wrong. If this was the NBA, NHL, or MLB, just the appearance of impropriety or favoritism, CC would be out in a hurry...And the whole "hockey dad" peice is infuriating. He didn't email this to his friend or wife...He sent this to THE LEAGUE OFFICIATING HEAD. That alone should get him fired (not even taking into account the Savard comments). They poo-poo it but after this email was sent...what happened to the ref he was griping about???. that right, he got fired!

The perception that the playing field isn't level and that the league is just an old boy network has, A. proven to be correct and B. degrades what little credibility the front office had to start with.

But they prove once again why hockey is viewed as a second rate sport.
    For anyone to defend or dismiss Campbell's statements is purely mind boggling.

..and I've lost all respect for McKenzie. When push come to shove he is just a lapdog for the league's cadre of idiots. To suggest that no punishment is warranted proves this beyond a shadow of a doubt. With that said...hat's off to Dupe's for calling it as he sees it.

Shameful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

McKenzie's opinion is only the gold standard when you agree?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Articles on Campbell Story:[QUOTE]Thanks for the links. It's encouraging to know that somebody in the sports media is taking the NHL to task. Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

And on the other side of that with the NHL doing mop up Versus trots out former Ranger Dave Maloney (son David works for MSG) who proclaims that this subject has been blown out proportion no argument from fellow MSG announcer Bill Jaffe.

Scott Laughlin another unbiased commentator who collects a paycheck the NHL tells Kevin Paul Dupont yesterday on NHL Home Ice radio that "hockey dad's are just like that".

Sweeping trash under the rug takes full corporation from the boys in the Ranger/MSG/NHL clubhouse.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RMiller87. Show RMiller87's posts

This story is one that will not easily be swept under the rug in Canada.

Remember two things on the Campbell story :

A referee named Dean Warren who was dismissed from the NHL.

This quote from Campbell made in a statement for TSN on 15 November 2010 :

"The refs working that game are still in the League, aren't they ?"

I think that Collie is in a lot of trouble here.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think that McKenzie and many others are very disappointing with this and are doing a real disservice to the NHL by tolerating these major breaches in the integrity of the league.  Is there any standard of professional conduct?

If it were just the emails alone we were considering, then they could likely be dismissed as simple stupidity from Campbell.  But, what we have is a very suspect body of work from Campbell and the NHL in recent years that already hinted at conspiracy, favoritism, and basic incompetence.  The emails have now become the final piece of the puzzle for many hockey fans and some honest members of the media.

To continue to dismiss this issue as being "not a big deal" is shameful and disingenuous.  Kudos to KPD.  Shame on McKenzie.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

NaS,

I never thought his opinion was the gold standard, but I always thought he has the best interests of the game in mind and I enjoy reading his articles.

It's not a matter of wanting him to do be on the side of the mob at all. It a matter of his article being flippant about the fact that even though Campbell's emails were between him and the head of officials, McKenzie viewed that as a non pertinet point, when it seems to be a blatant conflict of interest, if only in perception...whether he was just being a "hockey dad" or or not is irrelevant. If you don't have the appearance of impartiality, how can you be taken seriously?

The fact is, there is tangible evidence that the men in charge of officiating and discipline were found to have been factually complaining about an official who was later fired. The fact CC's son was tagged 3 times in that game is probably just coincidence? perhaps, but perhaps not. McKenzie's article, not only sidesteps or admonishes that fact, it promotes it. It would be akin to Gammons backing the MLB League offices on the steroid issue.

I'm interested in hearing your PoV? Do you think Campbell acted improperly or is this just a small side incident that has no bearing on the integrity of the game?

Note, no mention of Savard and Cooke...that is not the issue. But the fact he shows a dislike for a particular player even though he is bound to keep his opinions neutral certainly doesn't shine him in a better light...it raises the spectre of partiallity, again, if only in perception.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

obrien (among other) - I didn't read the Mckenzie blog until after I'd seen the reaction to it here and elsewhere, so when I did read it, I was surprised at the uproar.  One thing about McKenzie - he's a more nuanced writer than most guys who have his kind of connections.  Much of this is about tone.  He piles up insights on the people with a stake in this sort of thing and you can almost hear a note of resignation (cue mini violin) as he works toward the conclusion that many of the people taking him to task share: the league office is a joke because no one with the power to change it wants to change it.  The owners want the players on the ice - and this may explain why stars with bigger cheques miss fewer games than goons on league minimum - the managers and coaches don't want to deal with holes in their lineups, and the PA is more concerned about players not losing money.  And kudos to Bob for putting that in print.  I once said as much to McGuire on a call-in show - injured players get paid, suspended players don't - and I could picture his head going purple with rage at the suggestion that money played a role in the PAs protection of its members.

Basically, I think McKenzie sees this as a dead end.  And he's resigned because he's probably seen way too much of this....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

BB,

I understand that, and painting McKenzie as a patsie may have been a harsh assessment, but as a leading journalist in his field I would think he would realize that this appears to be a pretty clear case where someone in power did something (IMO) grossly inappropriate...but he doesn't go there at all. If you are just gonna shrug your shoulders about it and say oh well, I can't get behind that.

once again, these emails were between league officials

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

BB, I think you make some really good points and I agree with a lot of it, but once again, my focus lies not just with the emails but with the cumulative body of work for Colin Campbell. 

He has made rules and then broken them, set precedent only then violated that precedent, explained his reasoning in the most cryptic manner possible, and overall has performed with general incompetence and inconsistency in what should be straightforward, although unpopular, job duties.

I guess I am disappointed with McKenzie because he is known as a free-thinker and a very honest writer, but his reaction to this situation seems to support the (Good ol' Boys) culture of tolerance in the NHL, while a very ugly and unprofessional situation has presented itself.  It would do wonders for the league to have some of the more prominent voices demand a higher standard of conduct instead of collectively shrugging their shoulders.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

I put some blame on the owners. They allow this game to be run like the WWF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NaS, I never thought his opinion was the gold standard, but I always thought he has the best interests of the game in mind and I enjoy reading his articles. It's not a matter of wanting him to do be on the side of the mob at all. It a matter of his article being flippant about the fact that even though Campbell's emails were between him and the head of officials , McKenzie viewed that as a non pertinet point, when it seems to be a blatant conflict of interest, if only in perception...whether he was just being a "hockey dad" or or not is irrelevant. If you don't have the appearance of impartiality, how can you be taken seriously? The fact is, there is tangible evidence that the men in charge of officiating and discipline were found to have been factually complaining about an official who was later fired. The fact CC's son was tagged 3 times in that game is probably just coincidence? perhaps, but perhaps not. McKenzie's article, not only sidesteps or admonishes that fact, it promotes it. It would be akin to Gammons backing the MLB League offices on the steroid issue. I'm interested in hearing your PoV? Do you think Campbell acted improperly or is this just a small side incident that has no bearing on the integrity of the game? Note, no mention of Savard and Cooke...that is not the issue. But the fact he shows a dislike for a particular player even though he is bound to keep his opinions neutral certainly doesn't shine him in a better light...it raises the spectre of partiallity, again, if only in perception.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]

He's not bound to a neutral opinion.  He's bound to neutral decision making.   

McKenzie writes an opinion piece.  It's his point of view.  If your point of view is different, that's okay.  McKenzie doesn't write to agree with you.  He writes and we read it because we usually agree with him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

For what ever it's worth as I was stuck with the Ranger feed here in Jersey -- Both Rosen and Micheletti praised Colie as a stand up guy who has been part of almost every phase of hockey. It's a tough and thankless job and depending on what team you are part of or rooting for -- at least 50% of his decistions will be in disagreement.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts