As predicted, Rask chokes. I hope they don't resign the worlds greatest choker.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: As predicted, Rask chokes. I hope they don't resign the worlds greatest choker.

to echo shupe, it's a hell of a trivia question, but you can make a case that Rask was involved in the 3 biggest chokes in NHL Playoff history, winning one of the 3.

2010, Philly, 3-0 lead after 1 in a game 7 at home
    2013, Toronto, led 4-1 in a game 7 only to lose in OT (Reimer collapse)
    2013, Chicago, Finals, led 2-1 at the 58-minute mark, loses in regulation and the Cup

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: As predicted, Rask chokes. I hope they don't resign the worlds greatest choker.

In response to shuperman's comment:

Fact, he didnt. Fact tt did

Bang on.  TT has the w. Rask has the L.  

Back to the simplify paint-by-numbers argument.  Throw out the variables, throw out the stats, throw out the analysis.  Too complicated.  Black and white is easy.  Disappointing, shupe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yep, Thomas sure was clutch when his team scored 4+ for him. No need to bring up the fact he gave up 5 goals 4 times in the semis because he won a game 7 right? 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

Stanley cup finals.  Here are some stats

gm 1. 1-0 loss.  No goal support. Scored with 18 seconds left.  33 saves

gm 2. 3-2 otl. 31 saves

gm 3. 8-1 win. 40 saves

gm 4. 4-0 win 38 saves

gm 5. 1-0 37 saves

gm 6. 5-2 win 38 saves.  

gm 7. 4-0 s/o.  Outshot 37-21

so. Yes tt had more goal support at home.  He also didnt lose a 6-5 ot loss at home.  

In the first 3 rd games 2 goals in one game.  Um. Ya think rask had no scoring?   And in the game 7 they get 3 after being badly outshot.  Almost double.  

Yes. He won 2 game 7s.  In shutout fashion.  Thats all that matters.  Why?  Bc he won the games that matter the most.  rask has not done this.  he has not won a playoff mvp.  He has not won a vezina.  "if" "if" "if". If i made more money i would be able to retire.

Rask was given more then enough goal support to win 3 games he lost in the final.  game 1.  game 4.  And game 6.  He lost 2 gms at home.  TT lost 0.  He was down twice 2-0 in a series and the scf when they were wrote off.  Rask performance in the finals no where even close to TT.  Cherry on top once again is lord stanley.  

[/QUOTE]

Hey Shupe, it's a team sport no matter who's at what position. Thomas benefited from a better offense. That is fact. Blaming Rask for his team's lack of scoring is weak. What.........Thomas won when his team scored 4+ goals............you don't say? Dismiss stats all you'd like but Rask just beat Tt's record performance that you keep harping on(stats be damned). He didn't have a record for getting 16 wins, he had it for his other goaltending numbers which Rask improved upon. You're holding Rask up to an impossibly high standard if the 16 wins is all that matters. Seriously, would you want to start the playoffs next year with Fleury or Niemi or Ward instead of Rask? Get back to me on that if the 16 wins is the cement wall debate ender.

[/QUOTE]

Rask had a better team which was more experienced.  If we graded on a curve bc of a couple lopsided home grades we would all be A students.  Tt did not need 8 goals.  They didnt win 8-7.  They won 8-1. After a scoreless first. Rask was given enough support in his losses And blew 2 3 period leads.  Guess how many third period leads tt gave up?  i keep saying TT has a better stanley cup finals(if i didnt thats what i meant). Thats the record he held.  i think quick topped it as you mentioned.  rask let 6 in one game at home.  Tt let 8 in 7 games.   

you are hanging your hat on goals scored.  I will hang my hat on a cup win.  Bc no one will remember rask didnt get enough support.  What rask will be remembered by most(not me bc i do know a little about hockey) is that he blew a 3-0 lead which is the worse goalie stat you would ever want, people will also remember that he blew a 3-1 game one third period lead, a 6-5 home loss in a coffin nail game and a 70 second collapse when up 2-1 to force a game 7.  i will use "if" bc its fun.   "If" rask wins one of those 3 games we are in a game 7.  If he wins 2 he has a cup ring.  Fact, he didnt. Fact tt did

Win and lose as a team.   Bang on.  TT has the w. Rask has the L.  

[/QUOTE]

So you don't want to address who you'd prefer to start next year's playoffs with, Fleury vs Rask?  If the Cup is the debate ender then it's clear who you have to take in the debate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The funny part about all this is that I have become a huge, huge Rask fan despite all the stuff I write that might infer that I'm a Thomas culthead. I loved Thomas too, but I will never forget him quitting on the B's, and quitting on the team by refusing the White House visit. Rask is a better teammate, a guy you want to root for. Thomas too, but not after the post 11 Cup nonsense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

If you choose to compare, it's very difficult to simply pretend Rask is better than Thomas in big games. It's not true, at least not yet. Not in the biggest games of the season.

Nobody's saying Rask is better in big games. We are saying that he matched / bettered TT's 2011 numbers and that goal support was the biggest difference in the two playoff runs. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

By the way there was some Voukoun reference about him being not a great goalie, it's Fleury who sucks or lost it. Vokoun was fantastic in the 2 games at Boston, he played as well as anyone could, Rask was better and on another planet.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yep, Thomas sure was clutch when his team scored 4+ for him. No need to bring up the fact he gave up 5 goals 4 times in the semis because he won a game 7 right? 

-Gerry Dee

gm 2. 3-2 otl. 31 saves

gm 3. 8-1 win. 40 saves

gm 4. 4-0 win 38 saves

gm 5. 1-0 37 saves

gm 6. 5-2 win 38 saves.  

so. Yes tt had more goal support at home.  He also didnt lose a 6-5 ot loss at home.  

In the first 3 rd games 2 goals in one game.  Um. Ya think rask had no scoring?   And in the game 7 they get 3 after being badly outshot.  Almost double.  

Yes. He won 2 game 7s.  In shutout fashion.  Thats all that matters.  Why?  Bc he won the games that matter the most.  rask has not done this.  he has not won a playoff mvp.  He has not won a vezina.  "if" "if" "if". If i made more money i would be able to retire.

Rask was given more then enough goal support to win 3 games he lost in the final.  game 1.  game 4.  And game 6.  He lost 2 gms at home.  TT lost 0.  He was down twice 2-0 in a series and the scf when they were wrote off.  Rask performance in the finals no where even close to TT.  Cherry on top once again is lord stanley.  

[/QUOTE]

Hey Shupe, it's a team sport no matter who's at what position. Thomas benefited from a better offense. That is fact. Blaming Rask for his team's lack of scoring is weak. What.........Thomas won when his team scored 4+ goals............you don't say? Dismiss stats all you'd like but Rask just beat Tt's record performance that you keep harping on(stats be damned). He didn't have a record for getting 16 wins, he had it for his other goaltending numbers which Rask improved upon. You're holding Rask up to an impossibly high standard if the 16 wins is all that matters. Seriously, would you want to start the playoffs next year with Fleury or Niemi or Ward instead of Rask? Get back to me on that if the 16 wins is the cement wall debate ender.

[/QUOTE]

Rask had a better team which was more experienced.  If we graded on a curve bc of a couple lopsided home grades we would all be A students.  Tt did not need 8 goals.  They didnt win 8-7.  They won 8-1. After a scoreless first. Rask was given enough support in his losses And blew 2 3 period leads.  Guess how many third period leads tt gave up?  i keep saying TT has a better stanley cup finals(if i didnt thats what i meant). Thats the record he held.  i think quick topped it as you mentioned.  rask let 6 in one game at home.  Tt let 8 in 7 games.   

you are hanging your hat on goals scored.  I will hang my hat on a cup win.  Bc no one will remember rask didnt get enough support.  What rask will be remembered by most(not me bc i do know a little about hockey) is that he blew a 3-0 lead which is the worse goalie stat you would ever want, people will also remember that he blew a 3-1 game one third period lead, a 6-5 home loss in a coffin nail game and a 70 second collapse when up 2-1 to force a game 7.  i will use "if" bc its fun.   "If" rask wins one of those 3 games we are in a game 7.  If he wins 2 he has a cup ring.  Fact, he didnt. Fact tt did

Win and lose as a team.   Bang on.  TT has the w. Rask has the L.  

[/QUOTE]

So you don't want to address who you'd prefer to start next year's playoffs with, Fleury vs Rask?  If the Cup is the debate ender then it's clear who you have to take in the debate.

[/QUOTE]

I want rask bc he is a better goalie.  but when we are both older and balder or grayer rask hasnt won.  I dont want marty over rask either.  But those guys are champions and one is the best ever.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

On the Fletch comments about Pittsburgh series, I already have several times said it's the greatest playoff series ever by a B's goalie (at least in my lifetime). As for how things get to be a Game 7, that's also a team aspect, a team problem. However, to discount Thomas allowing 7 goals in 5 game 7s is really showing contempt for him.

^ Absolutely not.  Now I don't believe you are reading my comments.  

I have nothing but admiration for Thomas' historic Cup.  But in the context of the argument that 'Rask isn't as good', I must point at that both guys were flawed.  Somewhat equally in my opinion.  

TT was fastastic in game 7's, but that doesn't show the whole picture if he was mediocre in the overall series.  Perhaps Rask is mediocre in a small number of game 7s, but then has some fantastic performances that led to sweeps instead of a long series.  

It's complicated to compare the two!  Let's not try to make it simple.  Both were great! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

dez, a lot of this is me venting anyways. I'm just disgusted with the team's collapse, it had very little to do with Rask. But it's fun to argue this stuff, and it makes the forum fun despite the pain of losing out on a 2nd Cup in 3 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The funny part about all this is that I have become a huge, huge Rask fan despite all the stuff I write that might infer that I'm a Thomas culthead. I loved Thomas too, but I will never forget him quitting on the B's, and quitting on the team by refusing the White House visit. Rask is a better teammate, a guy you want to root for. Thomas too, but not after the post 11 Cup nonsense.

Danny, the cult crack is in reference to the guys calling Rask a choker while suggesting TT should join the Hall and have his number retired. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

If you choose to compare, it's very difficult to simply pretend Rask is better than Thomas in big games. It's not true, at least not yet. Not in the biggest games of the season.

Nobody's saying Rask is better in big games. We are saying that he matched / bettered TT's 2011 numbers and that goal support was the biggest difference in the two playoff runs. Nothing more. Nothing less. 

[/QUOTE]

The thread was about choking.  TT doesnt have that stat.  We opened it up like no ones business. Stats for an entire cup playoffs rask has it.  Congrats to him.  Win me a cup.  3 rounds doesnt cut it for me.  He wasnt as good as giggy for the ducks in his 2nd place finish.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

dez, a lot of this is me venting anyways. I'm just disgusted with the team's collapse, it had very little to do with Rask. But it's fun to argue this stuff, and it makes the forum fun despite the pain of losing out on a 2nd Cup in 3 years.

That's how I feel too Danny. Makes it easier to forget as strange as that sounds. Cheers. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I reserve "great" yet on Rask, sorry, I do. He was never better though than 2 games at Toronto, and the entire Pittsburgh series. Fantastic in all 6 of those wins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The thread was about choking.  TT doesnt have that stat.  We opened it up like no ones business. Stats for an entire cup playoffs rask has it.  Congrats to him.  Win me a cup.  3 rounds doesnt cut it for me.  He wasnt as good as giggy for the ducks in his 2nd place finish.  

[/QUOTE]

Don't the numbers suggest otherwise? oh yeah, I know what the thread is about and believe I established clearly that Rask was not a choker. Marchand sadly was this year. I thought his lack of production was more significant than anything Rask could control. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

Fact, he didnt. Fact tt did

Bang on.  TT has the w. Rask has the L.  

Back to the simplify paint-by-numbers argument.  Throw out the variables, throw out the stats, throw out the analysis.  Too complicated.  Black and white is easy.  Disappointing, shupe.

[/QUOTE]

You told us to shut up.  We arent. So by taking one side which is clear you are is going against your shut up rule.  Pick a side( like you have in rask) and run.  Both played great.  One has his name on conn and on stanley as the best player in the playoffs.  Where is rasks name?   Fuhr had worst stats but sure is one heck of a champion.  people debated crawford not winning conn.  kane said he deserved it, he out performed rask and won 2 games in boston and his clutch game 6.  Black and white is easier then the if game?  Sure it is bc its based on reality.  Not this alternate dvd ending.  History has been wrote.  There are no * besides saying if boston scored more goals.  

If rask wins next year he can add it to his resume.  "If".  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

to echo shupe, it's a hell of a trivia question, but you can make a case that Rask was involved in the 3 biggest chokes in NHL Playoff history, winning one of the 3.

2013, Chicago, Finals, led 2-1 at the 58-minute mark, loses in regulation and the Cup

This can be debated, but I do not view the other night as a "choke".

I think the Bruins were being outplayed/out-chanced and were very fortunate to get a goal with 8 minutes left to take a tenuous one goal lead.  They were in a position to steal the game.

But, we're talking about a 1 goal lead with 8 minutes left.  In a game 6.  Against the favorite and top seed.  And they would have had to win game 7 on the road to win the series.

I'm not sure losing a one goal lead is ever a 'choke'.  It sure unraveled quickly, but I wouldn't say that the Bruins had the series victory in their grasp, and then lost it.  They needed two more wins, not one.

There no comparison to being up 3-0 and 3-0 against Philly, or Toronto being up 4-1 with 10 minutes left in Game 7.  Those are chokes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If someone asked me only if i thought rask is a choker or winner i say neither.   many view him as a choker like a few of the tools who started the bashing   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

You told us to shut up.  We arent. So by taking one side which is clear you are is going against your shut up rule.  Pick a side( like you have in rask) and run.  Both played great.  One has his name on conn and on stanley as the best player in the playoffs.  Where is rasks name?   Fuhr had worst stats but sure is one heck of a champion.  people debated crawford not winning conn.  kane said he deserved it, he out performed rask and won 2 games in boston and his clutch game 6.  Black and white is easier then the if game?  Sure it is bc its based on reality.  Not this alternate dvd ending.  History has been wrote.  There are no * besides saying if boston scored more goals.  

If rask wins next year he can add it to his resume.  "If".  

I said to shut up, if you're badmouthing either guy.  Go back and read it.  You're simplifying. Again.  Picking the low hanging fruit, instead of responding to the argument.  That's why I'm disappointed.  I'm fine with your opinion, but I feel like you don't want to acknowledge or consider the analysis of the other side.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

[QUOTE]

This can be debated, but I do not view the other night as a "choke".

I think the Bruins were being outplayed/out-chanced and were very fortunate to get a goal with 8 minutes left to take a tenuous one goal lead.  They were in a position to steal the game.

But, we're talking about a 1 goal lead with 8 minutes left.  In a game 6.  Against the favorite and top seed.  And they would have had to win game 7 on the road to win the series.

I'm not sure losing a one goal lead is ever a 'choke'.  It sure unraveled quickly, but I wouldn't say that the Bruins had the series victory in their grasp, and then lost it.  They needed two more wins, not one.

There no comparison to being up 3-0 and 3-0 against Philly, or Toronto being up 4-1 with 10 minutes left in Game 7.  Those are chokes.

[/QUOTE]

Especially in the context of how those last 2 goals entered the net. Saying Rask choked is to suggest he should've made the saves on either play. I need the choke crowd to look at the 2 goals and tell me what TT would've done differently. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Rask

Game 7-v. Philly, 2010, 3-0 lead after 1 period, lost in regulation, 4-3
    Game 7-v. Toronto, 2013, trailed 4-1, B's rally to save the season, win 5-4 in OT
    Game 6-v. Chicago, 2013, 2-1 lead at the 58 minute mark, lose 3-2 in regulation

allows 11 goals in 3 game 7s

Thomas

Game 7-v. Carolina, 2009, loses 3-2 in OT
    Game 7-v. Montreal, 2011, wins 4-3 in OT
    Game 7-v. Tampa, 2011, wins 1-0
    Game 7-v. Vancouver, 2011, wins 4-0
    Game 7-v. Washington, 2012, loses 2-1 in OT

allows 7 goals in 5 games 7s

You do the math on clutch

I was doing the math, and I came up with different stats when I actually included the 5 goals Thomas gave up when losing the 2008 Game 7 to Montreal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

[QUOTE]

Rask

Game 7-v. Philly, 2010, 3-0 lead after 1 period, lost in regulation, 4-3
    Game 7-v. Toronto, 2013, trailed 4-1, B's rally to save the season, win 5-4 in OT
    Game 6-v. Chicago, 2013, 2-1 lead at the 58 minute mark, lose 3-2 in regulation

allows 11 goals in 3 game 7s

Thomas

Game 7-v. Carolina, 2009, loses 3-2 in OT
    Game 7-v. Montreal, 2011, wins 4-3 in OT
    Game 7-v. Tampa, 2011, wins 1-0
    Game 7-v. Vancouver, 2011, wins 4-0
    Game 7-v. Washington, 2012, loses 2-1 in OT

allows 7 goals in 5 games 7s

You do the math on clutch

I was doing the math, and I came up with different stats when I actually included the 5 goals Thomas gave up when losing the 2008 Game 7 to Montreal.

[/QUOTE]

I thought something was missing.  So, TT is 3-3 in game 7's.

But I'll always give him credit for the three game 7 wins in 2011.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Well put Danny. I think Rask played well enough to win a cup, just didnt have the offensive support. He certainly didnt choke, to say that is just idiotic.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oh great, goalies have shown up now. Seriously though, I will look back years from now and remember Henrik as one of the best of his generation, regardless of whether he eventually wins a Cup. On the other hand, I won't say that about Osgood, regardless of how much post season jewelry he owns. 

-Gerry Dee

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

gm 2. 3-2 otl. 31 saves

gm 3. 8-1 win. 40 saves

gm 4. 4-0 win 38 saves

gm 5. 1-0 37 saves

gm 6. 5-2 win 38 saves.  

Game 1 loss, with winning goal with 18 seconds left. How come the losing goal at this point isn't a "choke" as being evidenced by the Rask bashing?  How is it different than 2013 Game 6?

(I don't believe it was a choke, but the comments about Rask are as incorrect)

Game 2 loss... statistics will not reveal the absolutely ridiculously bad OT game losing goal that was given up. To the point where at the press conference he was asked questions about whether he should "adjust his style."   Is that a "choke?" 

(no, its not, but the misuse of the C word, conveniently, is wrong, isnt it?)

Game 5 loss. Losing goal from behind the goal line. Not seeing that in the box score or stat sheet.

I would argue questionable goals at crunch time after every bit as important as "game 7 stats" to determine a goalie in clutch situations.

Wins: 8-1, 4-0, 5-2, 4-0.   Some people could look at those scores impassively and not really say the goalie was stealing any games.

This doesnt even consider the very shaky play against Montreal in the first round, and if a Hab scored before Horton in Game 7, history would be very very different today.

Vs Chicago, Rask loses Game 1 after a ridiculously lucky shot wide banks in off Ference, then he stops 60 shots over 6 periods and finally loses after the B's had at least 7 mind boggling chances to win. Rask is a choke because "he didnt win?"  Really?

In Game 6, the B's completely dominate play for a period, yet cant score a second goal. They get 4 consecutive power plays, yet cant score a second goal.  The defense fails miserably on 2 late goals (and why CJ didnt call a TO after the first is beyond me), but again, Rask is a choke?

The other 2 games were easily winnable 1 goal losses with a bounce or a goal scored.

My point is, dez and Fletcher are absolutely correct. TT was a stud in 2011 and deserves all the glory he's getting, but he did not contribute more to the Bs winning in 2011 than Rask did in 2013. I still think Rask was better, but that argument is fuzzy enough to argue. And Im completely leaving liking one guy better than the other out of the above argument.

But trying to prove the point that TT was somehow better because "he won" is too simplistic, as are stats that do not prove anything in this comparison. Goalie stats are notoriously misleading, especially looking at "shots" that dont measure any sort of rebound control or quality.  Still in this case, Rasks were every bit as stellar as TTs, and do not prove any clear superiority by either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Oh great, goalies have shown up now. Seriously though, I will look back years from now and remember Henrik as one of the best of his generation, regardless of whether he eventually wins a Cup. On the other hand, I won't say that about Osgood, regardless of how much post season jewelry he owns. 

-Gerry Dee

I don't think one has to be a goalie to think Thomas had a terriifc playoff run and so did Rask. Rask didnt win the Cup, doesnt change the fact that he played well enough to now be considered elite in my eyes. . As for Lundqvist, I said it after the Ranger series, how many times can a team lose in 5 games and say the goalie was stellar. He was. I dont judge goalies or players by Cup rings.  I think Dan Marino is the best quarterback I've ever seen.