Available Defensemen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Available Defensemen

It's been reported in a few places that PC is looking to add a defenseman before the trade deadline. Of the following players with expiring contracts who would you prefer if available:

Ed Jovanovski  PHO  $6.5M
    Bryan McCabe  FLA  $5.7M
    Eric Brewer      STL  $4.2M
    Tomas Kaberle TOR  $4.2M
    Joni Pitkanen   CAR  $4M
    Ian White        CAR  $3M
    Kutris Foster*  EDM  $1.8M
    Andy Greene    NJD  $737K

*Signed until 2012-13, but is being shopped around*

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Re: Available Defensemen

Why waste draft picks/prospects on a rental?  So they can leave this offseason and we can start this search for the elusive "puck moving defensmen" again next season?  PC should go after Streit who is locked up for a couple more seasons and should be coming back from that injury soon.  Islanders are a mess and need to rebuild, I am sure they would deal Streit.  Solves this lack of a offensive defensmen/PP quarterback both in the short and long term.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: Available Defensemen:
    [QUOTE]Why waste draft picks/prospects on a rental?  So they can leave this offseason and we can start this search for the elusive "puck moving defensmen" again next season?  PC should go after Streit who is locked up for a couple more seasons and should be coming back from that injury soon.  Islanders are a mess and need to rebuild, I am sure they would deal Streit.  Solves this lack of a offensive defensmen/PP quarterback both in the short and long term.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

Good luck getting Streit off the Island.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I like Kaberle, PP needs help. 

Kaberle's statistical rank for defensemen:
    - 14th in points (32)
    - 7th (tied) in assists (30)
    - 2nd (tied) in PP assists (20)
    - 48th in TOI (22:49)
    - 46th (tied) in Blocks (86)
    - only a -5 on a horrible team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Available Defensemen : Good luck getting Streit off the Island.
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't they trade him?  They are going nowhere any time soon.  Streit is getting close to his mid 30's and still one of the better offensive D-men in the league, he is their best trade chip.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Streit is a very nice player with no/little guarantee that he returns from injury this year.  He is 33 with 2 more years left on a deal that pays him $4.1M annually.  B's need help this year, PC should go get Kaberle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I like both Foster and Greene - we wouldn't need to give up a roster player for either of them, can get them into the cap with little wrangling, and they are more than likely not just rentals, resginable, and could be long term solutions to shoring up the D and not just quick fixes. If Whitney had not been hurt, I'd be saying do whatever it took to get him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I like both Foster and Greene - we wouldn't need to give up a roster player for either of them, can get them into the cap with little wrangling, and they are more than likely not just rentals, resginable, and could be long term solutions to shoring up the D and not just quick fixes. If Whitney had not been hurt, I'd be saying do whatever it took to get him.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Greene is 52nd in points (19) with a -18.  I know he is cheap (Cap Hit), but is he really a material upgrade over what they have?

- 43rd in PP assists
    - 52nd in PP points

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I like both Foster and Greene - we wouldn't need to give up a roster player for either of them, can get them into the cap with little wrangling, and they are more than likely not just rentals, resginable, and could be long term solutions to shoring up the D and not just quick fixes. If Whitney had not been hurt, I'd be saying do whatever it took to get him.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Exactly my recation.  Foster or Greene.  Otherwise leave it alone.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Available Defensemen : Why wouldn't they trade him?  They are going nowhere any time soon.  Streit is getting close to his mid 30's and still one of the better offensive D-men in the league, he is their best trade chip.
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

Streit is arguably the Islanders' best player.  The Islanders have little use for Toronto's 1st round pick, they already have a top five pick of their own.  They have little use for prospects like Colborne and Caron, because they a ton of young talent at the NHL level (Okposo, Tavares) and in Juniors (de Haan).  It will take nothing more than an overpayment to land Streit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Available Defensemen : Greene is 52nd in points (19) with a -18.  I know he is cheap (Cap Hit), but is he really a material upgrade over what they have? - 43rd in PP assists - 52nd in PP points
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

That has more to do with his team than it does with him. Leads his team, the worst for most of the season, in mnutes and is just solid overall particularly with moving the puck. If we could figure out away to get Greene and Tedenby, for secondary scoring on the leftwing, I'd be all over it. Say our first, another pick and a qualty prospect? I think that fils two holes and provides a rebuilding team like NJD with what they need.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

I wouldn't mind a Foster for Boychuk 1 for 1 swap.  Both in year 1 of a two year deal with a similar cap hit.  Both having dissapointing seasons.  Foster would be an upgrade on the PP, and Boychuk may be more appealing to Edmonton since he is younger and they are still rebuilding. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

The issue with Streit is if he wants to leave the NYI. He's one of the players that are deathly loyal to their team. I think he'd rather stick it out with the Islanders and lead them to their own playoff berth than be traded to a contender and be an accessory.

I agree on the list Greene and Foster are the most feasible, but I almost want PC to make a run at Bryan McCabe. I know he has a big contract ($5.7M), but prorated I think PC can make it work. He could provide extra leadership on and off the ice and with Dale Tallon trying to rebuild the franchise he could be available for a prospect and a draft pick. Considering the log jam of defensemen we have in Providence we can afford one even for a rental player. Obviously if the asking price is high forget it, but what do you think of reuniting Chara and Seidenberg and having McCabe leading the second pairing?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

I would make a deal to get rent a defenseman Bryan McCabe. He is another Mike Green offensive type D-Man. He would be killer on the powerplay. If the Bruins are going after a high priced forward, they will conserve cap space and sign a D-Man like Carlo Colaiacovo from St. Louis.

In Response to Available Defensemen:
    [QUOTE]   It's been reported in a few places that PC is looking to add a defenseman before the trade deadline. Of the following players with expiring contracts who would you prefer if available: Ed Jovanovski  PHO  $6.5M Bryan McCabe  FLA  $5.7M Eric Brewer      STL  $4.2M Tomas Kaberle TOR  $4.2M Joni Pitkanen   CAR  $4M Ian White        CAR  $3M Kutris Foster*  EDM  $1.8M Andy Greene    NJD  $737K *Signed until 2012-13, but is being shopped around*
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Kampfer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pitkanen for Stuart would give Rutherford cap room to make more deals but he also might want a pick with Mark so if I were PC I would balk that would kill the deal. Too bad Carolina is back in the playoff picture and need any offense from the backline they can get.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from savybergy77. Show savybergy77's posts

Eric Johnson - ST. LOUIS
    Zach Bogosian - ATLANTA

Hey if were giving away the likes of Wheeler, Stuart and our 1st rounder, I'd like to see one of these over a rental. Rumor has it there both available.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Of them all, I like Jovocop the best.

In Response to Available Defensemen:
    [QUOTE]   It's been reported in a few places that PC is looking to add a defenseman before the trade deadline. Of the following players with expiring contracts who would you prefer if available: Ed Jovanovski  PHO  $6.5M Bryan McCabe  FLA  $5.7M Eric Brewer      STL  $4.2M Tomas Kaberle TOR  $4.2M Joni Pitkanen   CAR  $4M Ian White        CAR  $3M Kutris Foster*  EDM  $1.8M Andy Greene    NJD  $737K *Signed until 2012-13, but is being shopped around*
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Eric Johnson - ST. LOUIS Zach Bogosian - ATLANTA Hey if were giving away the likes of Wheeler, Stuart and our 1st rounder, I'd like to see one of these over a rental. Rumor has it there both available.
    Posted by savybergy77[/QUOTE]
    Eric Brewer rumoured available and That's Hockey just reported the Bruins have people in attendance scouting at the St.Lou/Floida game.Hmmmmmm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

PC seems to like to trade with St. Louis and the Blues need offense with Perron still woozy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]PC seems to like to trade with St. Louis and the Blues need offense with Perron still woozy.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Brewer is a player that would add alot to the lineup without having to use the Leafs pick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd deal the pick for Bogosian, if he's available...PC saying they were discussing a deal internally piqued my interest.