Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley

Just heard on TSN during the second intermission of the Hawks/Coyotes that Nik Backstrom is suspended for Thursday. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley

Not enough for me but I hope the B's take advantage and blow the Caps out of the building.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley:
    Not enough for me but I hope the B's take advantage and blow the Caps out of the building.
    Posted by hangnail

hang - It was a selfish thing for an important member of that team to do.  Well done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsfanforever. Show Bruinsfanforever's posts

Here is the confirmation on their website

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393487

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 54BLITZER. Show 54BLITZER's posts

JUSTICE!!! NOW WIN THE NEXT TWO GAMES IN BLOW OUTS, AND END THIS SERIES!!! HERE WE GO BRUINS!!! HERE WE GO!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/nicklas-backstrom-suspended-one-game-for-cross-check/2012/04/17/gIQAvzwOPT_blog.html

And the whining commences.  Caps fans are the worst.  They know nothing about hockey and all they do is whine.  Oh, a Caps player fell down, where's the penalty?  I'll be at Verizon Center Thursday putting up with their whiney BS wearing my Lucic shirt. I hope the B's smoke them like 7-0

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

Love the wp site.....classic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Why did Asham get four then? Idiocy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/nicklas-backstrom-suspended-one-game-for-cross-check/2012/04/17/gIQAvzwOPT_blog.html And the whining commences.  Caps fans are the worst.  They know nothing about hockey and all they do is whine.  Oh, a Caps player fell down, where's the penalty?  I'll be at Verizon Center Thursday putting up with their whiney BS wearing my Lucic shirt. I hope the B's smoke them like 7-0
    Posted by kegarret

The comments are pretty amusing.  I'm not sure what the Bruins are doing that they are getting away with?  Sure maybe a trip or hook here or there.  And I think that Thomas should have received a penalty for his punch earlier in the series.  But seriously, what have they done?  I don't remember a B's player high sticking anyone in the head.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened.  Just don't remember it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

I think my comments keep getting deleted on WP.  They are really clueless.  Half of them are cancelling their NHL Center Ice and Comcast haha.  You tell 'em!  And I too keep asking for some sort of video on the Bruins headhunting Backstrom.  All because Hunter said that BS line trying to influence Shanny's decision, they all just spew it out like fact.  I'm losing respect for the Caps faster than I did for Vancouver last June...time to move back north!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley : The comments are pretty amusing.  I'm not sure what the Bruins are doing that they are getting away with?  Sure maybe a trip or hook here or there.  And I think that Thomas should have received a penalty for his punch earlier in the series.  But seriously, what have they done?  I don't remember a B's player high sticking anyone in the head.  I'm not saying it hasn't happened.  Just don't remember it.
    Posted by jalvis

jalvis - One was "Watch it again, Shanny."  Sure and the result would still be the same.  Backstrom got what he deserved.  End of story.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This isn't a homer thing - if Asham got 4 then Backstrom deserves 3 - Asham's suckerpunch being the difference.

Both, as far as I know, have similar previous records. So this is simply a case of bias. Adjudicators, if they show blatant bias, should not hold their job. I'd have been fine if Backstrom got one and Asham got 2 - that would have showed consistancy - but one vs. 4?

To me that means he is not objective.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

I'll take the 1 game. If the B's can win that game it's huge. Having Backstrom out gives us a great opportunity. I can now give Shanny some slack, finally!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This one is different.  The current landscape demanded Shanwow show some solidarity and respect for his officials.  No wiggle room whatsoever really.  He didn't rule on this, he merely chose not to.  When comparing his inconsistency, it's important to file this one in a seperate category.
    All this suspension crap is really starting to dampen my enthusiasm for the game.
    The first step in cleaning up this mess is really quite simple.  How about the novel idea of calling the games the same way in the playoffs, as the regular season.  Inconsistency is an integral fabric of the leagues being, when you officiate games based on the time of year, the score, and time left on the clock.  It's the way it's always been, and it's stupid.  It's not like that in any other pro sports league, and it shouldn't be that way in hockey.  Competitors/combatants will always push authority to the breaking point.  They always have, always will, but in hockey...obviously, that breaking point is ever changing, so the players are always raising the bar, testing the limits.
     The problem is not respect, it's culture, and this Shanahan disaster is merely pandering to a disfunctional culture.  Rather than change it(which is solely their responsibility), they put a monkey in place to judge on the fly.  No significant rule updates, just someone with absolute power to dispense justice based on his personal idea of what's good or bad, despite whatever the rule book states.

Does anyone really think it could possibly be any different?

Currently, there is virtually no debate, from the fan base, or the league, on cheap shots, dirty plays, and unacceptable behavior.  The discussions, from pretty much every corner of the industry, just focus on the potential of suspendibility, and the length. 
    Sad.
    When the hammer comes down, then the conversation debates the length, or lack of, but rarely the offense that triggered things, and for good reason.  When working within the confines of such a fatally flawed system, any nit-wit with middle school critical thinking skills, can pick apart inconsistencies in their sleep.  Most people employed with NHL teams posess those skills. As a result, the public is now bombarded with the drama, and we seem to happily follow along.

Whats the story this morning regarding the Chicago-Phoenix game? Raffi Torres

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tremha. Show tremha's posts

he doesnt have much of a history with anything like this and the reality is it wasnt that brutal a shot.  hardly moved Peverly.  i was thinking 50/50 he gets anything and if so, 1 game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I didn't think the Backstrom play was that bad. He deserves one game because it was clearly a play that had no other point than to injure. The game was over, it was cowardly, but it wasn't super-violent. The Asham play was much worse, it was a blatant assault. I think both rulings are appropriate.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I didn't think the Backstrom play was that bad. He deserves one game because it was clearly a play that had no other point than to injure. The game was over, it was cowardly, but it wasn't super-violent. The Asham play was much worse, it was a blatant assault. I think both rulings are appropriate.Posted by OatesCam

It seems to me some posters on here just stop watching Asham after the hit. He kept hitting a defensless player on the ice Neil and Backstrom did not.

Shanahan got all three calls suspensions correct move along.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

Remember Lucic on Lapierre in the playoffs 2 years ago? He got one game. I dont know how they can complain about this...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stanleycup/E1vE8/story/2009/04/19/sp-lucic-suspension-hockey.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I didn't think the Backstrom play was that bad. He deserves one game because it was clearly a play that had no other point than to injure. The game was over, it was cowardly, but it wasn't super-violent. The Asham play was much worse, it was a blatant assault. I think both rulings are appropriate.
    Posted by OatesCam

i agree with your assement of the Backstrom hit, however, it needs to be pointed out that basically, there is no "ruling" .  The referee made the call, handed out the suspension.  Removing the 1 game suspension is throwing the ref under a bus.  No brainer by Shanhan.
    The only way something like that will ever be overturned, is if the infraction can be shown conclusively, to not have happened.  The Lucic thing is a good example.  Can't argue the severity of the penalty.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

This is completely true. I am responding to those that think Shanahan should have given Backstrom more by comparing to the Asham play. I don't think that is the case at all.

In Response to Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley : i agree with your assement of the Backstrom hit, however, it needs to be pointed out that basically, there is no "ruling" .  The referee made the call, handed out the suspension.  Removing the 1 game suspension is throwing the ref under a bus.  No brainer by Shanhan. The only way something like that will ever be overturned, is if the infraction can be shown conclusively, to not have happened.  The Lucic thing is a good example.  Can't argue the severity of the penalty.    
    Posted by stevegm

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

This is completely true. I am responding to those that think Shanahan should have given Backstrom more by comparing to the Asham play. I don't think that is the case at all. In Response to Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley :
    Posted by OatesCam

Absolutely.  I don't think there would have been much indignation if Backstrom only got a 2 min minor.  Doesn't appear as vicious as the Ovie on Seids photo on this site.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Backstrom Suspended One Game For Shot To Peverley : Absolutely.  I don't think there would have been much indignation if Backstrom only got a 2 min minor.  Doesn't appear as vicious as the Ovie on Seids photo on this site.
    Posted by stevegm

Doesn't look worse anyways.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Asham can't really be compared to Backstrom. The sucker punch while the other guy (don't remember which Flyer, but who cares, he's a Flyer lol) was laying face first on the ice was enough for 2 games and his cross check was much more vicious. You can't hit a guy that you JUST injured and drive his face into the ice. I think 1 game for Backstrom is ok, it was a heat of the moment one-shot deal. Asham took his 1 shot, then proceeded to assault the guy while he's laying on the ice.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

jeez, an actual suspension from mr. bettman? what happened, did someone bring a knife to one of the many gratuitous fist fights and chop and arm off?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I think little Bitchboy Backstrom needs to have his a s s handed to him on Saturday by a Bruin. And Karl A.s.shole-ner should get his tonight. Beat the living fuc.k out of these two shiteaters. The Bruins will play LARGE after that and win big. E.ff you Washington!

Sections
Shortcuts