Backstrum given match penalty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Backstrum given match penalty

In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty:
    It's too bad Shawn Thornton isn't on the roster.  These things don't happen when skating clowns are dressed.  He's a big deterrent to all liberties being taken.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Seriously, why do you try to turn a thread like this into your hate for Thornton ?

Save it for the regular season when there's nothing happening on these boards. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXZLEOx5uY

Looks alot like Asham, except Peverley didn't go down holding his face like Schenn.

Shanny is in a tough spot on this one, hard for him to suspend Asham but rescind Backstrom.  Then again...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BorisTheGorilla. Show BorisTheGorilla's posts

Let's watch Shanahan impose the "VIP" Clause in this one...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

O yee of little faith. Shanny also has to abide by the rules.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Lost a lot of respect for Backstrom in this series.  I would imagine he won't like it much when he gets his head mangled next year by Lucic or whomever else. That bushleague crap won't be forgotten.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Not sure the rule calls for an automatic one game suspension, but rather an automatic "review" of the infraction.  Maybe someone here can clarify if i'm wrong. I'd be very surprised if there is a suspension...but then again, Jimmy The Greek wouldn't touch the odds on this sort of thing anymore.
      Unfortunately, the league has muffed this stuff spectacularly.  They should be proud of their work.
    Now the big news isn't the result of the game, or the hi-lites of the game, it's who's gonna be suspended.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Exactly and now we have morons who don't know hockey (FLorio and Peter King recently as NFL writers) all babbling and outraged like little girls.

They don't get it.

Bettman has ruined this.  He doesn't get it either and never has.  He's trying to defend against lawsuits and head hits, but a lot of this would be minimized if they adjusted some of these newer PC rules like the instigator with 5 minutes left, etc.

It's just so dumb.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Puckhead79. Show Puckhead79's posts

Two points: 1. Watch Ovechkin closely; he hits Peverley in the waning secs (unneccesary, but certainly legal); BUT then he hacks Peverley's nuts just like was done to Marchand earlier in the game; that is why Peverley spins around and takes out Ovechkin's legs. So that's two ball shots in one game from the Caps. Way to play like men.
    2. Lucic was suspended for a similar crosscheck vs Montreal about 3 yrs ago (year we swept them in 1st round). I don't think the Montreal player was hurt either in that instance. Backstrom is an idiot for losing his cool, especially given he's their top playmaker. 
    League can do what it wants.  The Bs are engaged now. Caps stupidly woke them up.  Time to finish them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

You missed the second half of Dale Hunter's quote:

"...c'mon guys, its not like he blindsided a player head first into the boards three seconds after he scored and separated his shoulder or anything.  That would be bush league."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Of course it wouldn't look bad to Hunter.  That guy would cross check his own mother in the face.
    Posted by Mutant211

Pff.  If he only crosschecked her in the face once, it must be mother's day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure the rule calls for an automatic one game suspension, but rather an automatic "review" of the infraction.  Maybe someone here can clarify if i'm wrong. I'd be very surprised if there is a suspension...but then again, Jimmy The Greek wouldn't touch the odds on this sort of thing anymore.   Unfortunately, the league has muffed this stuff spectacularly.  They should be proud of their work. Now the big news isn't the result of the game, or the hi-lites of the game, it's who's gonna be suspended.
    Posted by stevegm[/QUOTE

Match penalty is an automatic one game pending review - so, like the call on the ice for a reviewed goal, they have to have reason to reverse the call rather than just decide one way or the other. Not sure it makes much difference, but that seems to be the way it's designed to work.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Two points: 1. Watch Ovechkin closely; he hits Peverley in the waning secs (unneccesary, but certainly legal); BUT then he hacks Peverley's nuts just like was done to Marchand earlier in the game; that is why Peverley spins around and takes out Ovechkin's legs. So that's two ball shots in one game from the Caps. Way to play like men. 2. Lucic was suspended for a similar crosscheck vs Montreal about 3 yrs ago (year we swept them in 1st round). I don't think the Montreal player was hurt either in that instance. Backstrom is an idiot for losing his cool, especially given he's their top playmaker.  League can do what it wants.  The Bs are engaged now. Caps stupidly woke them up.  Time to finish them.
    Posted by Puckhead79

Good catch.  I don't know if it was intentional, but it was there.  That explains why Peverley was so upset.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Niklas "Cross-check" Backstrom was cross-checking all night.

His cross-check to Peverley was exactly the same as Lucic a couple of years ago. Only difference, Peverley didn't do anything to provoke it.

Sit the arrogant bum down! This is no St. Niklas.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoSoxFanPeds. Show BoSoxFanPeds's posts

I want to see Backstrom back in the lineup for game for...Rescind it!  I want this series to get ugly, uglier, ugliest of all the first round....Mirror Mirror on the Wall Whose the ugliest of them all....Then maybe our top 6 will get out of their own way and score some goals....Where the hell is our top 6 offense gone....You all need to wake the hell up!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Not sure the rule calls for an automatic one game suspension, but rather an automatic "review" of the infraction.  Maybe someone here can clarify if i'm wrong. I'd be very surprised if there is a suspension...but then again, Jimmy The Greek wouldn't touch the odds on this sort of thing anymore.   Unfortunately, the league has muffed this stuff spectacularly.  They should be proud of their work. Now the big news isn't the result of the game, or the hi-lites of the game, it's who's gonna be suspended.
    Posted by stevegm

Yes, it's an automatic game but the league can rescind upon review.
    If he doesn't get a game suspension I really hope they give a very good explanation as of why they " over turned " the decision.
    I bet they'll say he didn't mean to get him in the face as the stick road up the body or something to that effect.

I'm okay if he doesn't get suspended although would like the NHL to man-up and apply the rules (as per NRGUY's thread) .  I could only see Backstrom's non-suspension as a motivation for the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : Yes, it's an automatic game but the league can rescind upon review. If he doesn't get a game suspension I really hope they give a very good explanation as of why they " over turned " the decision. I bet they'll say he didn't mean to get him in the face as the stick road up the body or something to that effect. I'm okay if he doesn't get suspended although would like the NHL to man-up and apply the rules (as per NRGUY's thread) .  I could only see Backstrom's non-suspension as a motivation for the Bruins.
    Posted by BsLegion

Remember when Walker's "automatic suspension" was rescinded against the Canes years back? Sadly, the precedent to ignore the rulebook whenever they see fit has been set befrore Shanahan even arrived on the job.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Backstrum given match penalty : Remember when Walker's "automatic suspension" was rescinded against the Canes years back? Sadly, the precedent to ignore the rulebook whenever they see fit has been set befrore Shanahan even arrived on the job.
    Posted by dezaruchi

I know, I didn't want to mention it. I recall he scored the OT winner .

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

didn't looch get a match at the end of the game against the habs a few years ago and sat the next game?

shanny clown and his vip rules. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Puckhead79. Show Puckhead79's posts

Lucic got a game for this in the '09 playoffs:

I don't see much difference (at least Lucic was striking a willing combatant); as I said in my last post, Ovechkin jabbed Peverley's nuts after he hit him against the glass so Peverley had every right, and then some, to take Ovechkin's legs out.

So, yeah, league can do whatever it wants. Bs should be motivated now and win either way. But Backstrom should have to sit a game.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

IF this is rescinded and the next game turns into a "bloodbath" it will be on Shanahan.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

@stevegm, as B's pointed out you were incorrect, he is already suspended for the game, but the league may review it and rescind it, not the other way around. But big +1 for the Jimmy the Grek reference, I spit my coffee on that one! As far as Lucic a few years ago, Backstroms was worse. Lucic was standing still when someone came at him to fight with him, and he put his hands and stick up defensively, and got a game. Peverly was standing there and Backstrom came at him, completely the aggressor. I expect him to sit a game. Any of you look at Yahoo Hockey? Main article is about how Shanny needs to toughen up and regain control. Prime opportunity today, what with the Backdtrom thing and three Pens hearings.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Thanks for the clarification guys.  Now the rule is clear to me, I have a hard time imagining the one game gets rescinded, only because there is sooo much skullduggery going on right now, in a bunch of different series.  Me thinks the league will decide this is not the right time to kick the pins out from under the officials, but rather a time to be more supportive than usual.  If Philly-Pitts wasn't such a mug-fest, and that wasn't such an overriding influence on the playoffs as a whole, I think the brass would be inclined to overturn, based on the marquee factor.  Don't think they want to cross the refs at this point though, they realize the refs have had it pretty tough to this point, and that'll be what motivates their decision.  In this case, doing nothing, suits their agenda.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbg1. Show dbg1's posts

2 reasons the suspension will be rescended:

1.  Backstrom is a star player, and there is a different set of rules for stars than 2nd and 3rd line players.
    2.  It involved a hit on a Bruins player...so the league will figure, it MUST have been deserved.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

There is no precedent for Shannahan to overturn it.  He took a shot at Peverly's face after the horn had sounded, that is exactly what the rule is in place for.

I thought the double minor on Lucic was a bad decision by the refs.  To me it seemed like the second Caps player was a "third man in", as Lucic was already mixing it up with one Caps player.  How Lucic gets the double minor when he is fighting 2 Caps players doesn't make sense to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Considering Weber got off with a $2500 fine, there's no way this doesn't get overturned.

Sections
Shortcuts