backyard rink question - lighting

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

backyard rink question - lighting

Anyone have any experience lighting your outdoor rink?  I'm thinking of setting up a pole with a light that I would only use during the season and take down after winter.

Can I run an extension cord from an outside outlet - and have it be safe against the snow and/or rain?
    What kind of light to buy?

I figure I have to do this before the ground freezes solid.

summer backyard rink notes for those who might be inspired.

bigger is better.
    make sure the liner is white, as dark colors absorb light.
    Make sure the leaves stay out of the water before it freezes, or the spots with leaves under the ice will melt faster, a leaf barrier isn't a bad idea.
    Your yard might be flat, be not dead level.  Even a little out of balance over 50 feet might give you a foot of ice on one side and 2 inches on the other.
    You must make a "zamboni" of some kind by  spreading the water with a cloth or towel.  Just throwing water on the ice doesn't work well because you get uneven freezing or it may turn to slush and you have to use much more water.
    hot water or cold water?  it depends, if your hot water comes from your house and if you have a water softener and/or hard water, the hot water might chip off because the 2 different water types don't "bond"  (as in my case).
    I divert the rain gutters from the house into my rink, saving on the water bill and "natural" water is better than well or town water.

Finally, look behind all the trees in your backyard and make sure Campbell isn't hiding behind any of them, money in hand looking to bribe yet another ref.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: backyard rink question - lighting

Yes it should be safe using a regular extension cord and outlet. I would use an L.E.D. floodlight... much, much less power, brighter natural light and they give off no heat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting:
    [QUOTE]Yes it should be safe using a regular extension cord and outlet. I would use an L.E.D. floodlight... much, much less power, brighter natural light and they give off no heat.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

any particular brand?  

Can I pick one up at my local home depot or someplace like that?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting : any particular brand?   Can I pick one up at my local home depot or someplace like that?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Yes you can.. They also make outdoor extension cord.  Usually orange.  Lots of people have sensor lights and this is how they usually hook up.  Bulb brightness is up to you. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting : Yes you can.. They also make outdoor extension cord.  Usually orange.  Lots of people have sensor lights and this is how they usually hook up.  Bulb brightness is up to you. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Thanks Shupe,
    another thing you could shed some light on, why are you responding to idiot trolls?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting : Thanks Shupe, another thing you could shed some light on, why are you responding to idiot trolls?

Ive grown soft...haha....Ive been warned...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting : any particular brand?   Can I pick one up at my local home depot or someplace like that?

Badhab,

Buy two of the lights and point them at an angle. If your rink is of any size if you buy one you'll have dark spots in on the sides and in the corners. If you look any ball park/tennis courts that have lighting the bulbs are never facing straight at the playing surface, it also, depending on how high they are keep the light out of your face.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups-7. Show soups-7's posts

LED lites are insanely priced, they will pay off because they draw no current and your power bill will not go sky high. Some LED floods go for 500-600 bucks but draw 2-3 amps. They cannot go higher than 30-40 feet high on the pole. Plug into a GFI (ground fault) plug outside and nobody will get shocked. A standard 15 amp 120 volt outside plug will do the trick. I like Cooper lights for outside. Buy metal halide HID lights, they produce a nice white light and is easy on the eyes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK, they are going to be about 10 feet high.  My brother the electrical lineman says if it's higher than 10 feet it will need bracing.

note: if you are wondering why I'm asking you guys since my brother is a lineman, then you don't have siblings or relatives in the trades.  They promise, but don't show or do 5 minutes of work and get dinner and empty the liquor cabinet and you have to figure out where they are passed out when their wives call.

I'll have a look at some outdoor courts to get an idea of the 2 lights thing.

I have my rink pictures on my bdc homepage.  I have a gfi outside.  I don't think the cost of electricity will be that much of an issue since I'll get in at max 4 nights a week at 2 hours after work and weekends I'll skate during the day. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

In Response to backyard rink question - lighting:

I am not sure as to what type of spotlights ( LED, florescent or incandescent)
    would plug directly into an extension cord. You would probably have to run a 14/2 wire to a junction box and a receptacle to plug the spots in. There are however "work " area spotlights mounted on metal stands that would work with the appropriate extension cord. Automotive or hardware sores sell them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bad had nice home made zamboni first I have seen like that haha. Did you scratch that idear up your self or copy it from someone? I never had a home or backyard rink always played on frozen ponds or lakes the rink looks cool although doesn't look very big from the pictures.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]

The zamboni is a badhab original.  I have changed to 2 graphite shafts vonded together because is needed to be longer.  Unseen are the "feet" which were just 4 pieces of angle steel about 4 inches long, but that had like zero turning radius so I shortened them all to be about an inch and non-flat (curved) bottom so that they turn really easily.

And prodest of all, the "his" towel was a gift from the first wife way back when.

Also have to be sure to bring it in so that the eater doesn't freeze in the pipes.

Hopefully we will have winter this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to backyard rink question - lighting :  I am not sure as to what type of spotlights ( LED, florescent or incandescent) would plug directly into an extension cord. You would probably have to run a 14/2 wire to a junction box and a receptacle to plug the spots in. There are however "work " area spotlights mounted on metal stands that would work with the appropriate extension cord. Automotive or hardware sores sell them.
    Posted by watchtower[/QUOTE]

I have those work lights, but I don't think they're safe to leave outside and get snow on them.  And speaking of that, it's ok to let the extension cord to get buried in ice and snow?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: backyard rink question - lighting : I have those work lights, but I don't think they're safe to leave outside and get snow on them.  And speaking of that, it's ok to let the extension cord to get buried in ice and snow?
    As long as you use good quality grounded cord (three prong ) don't worry. The work lights are good to go outside as well. I once had a homicide investigation outside of Scranton, Pa where the body was partially submerged in ice and water at the bottom of a coal mine shaft. The portable spots the fire company had were totally weather proof as was the power cord. If you are not comfortable with this, surround the rink with tikki lights and replace your hockey pants with a grass skirt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I bought a couple LED flood lights at Home Depot for $20 each, they light up the whole yard.

[QUOTE]LED lites are insanely priced, they will pay off because they draw no current and your power bill will not go sky high. Some LED floods go for 500-600 bucks but draw 2-3 amps. They cannot go higher than 30-40 feet high on the pole. Plug into a GFI (ground fault) plug outside and nobody will get shocked. A standard 15 amp 120 volt outside plug will do the trick. I like Cooper lights for outside. Buy metal halide HID lights, they produce a nice white light and is easy on the eyes. http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/public/en/lighting/solutions/led.html  
    Posted by soups-7[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts