backyard rink question

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: backyard rink question

I had a pond dug last summer where it has 2 feet of water by fall. Worked out great, its about 50 x 70. The hard part is shoveling off snow so i will get a snowblower. I have a submersable pump tuned down to pump water out very slowly to resurface the ice and use a floor sqeegie to push the water off to the sides. It freezes quite nicely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Badhab- i'm in my 2nd season of having a backyard rink and i construct mine the same way.

I think there are 2 solutions to your issue:

1- you could buy the plastic kickplate that is used for indoor rinks. They come in strips of 8'. Nicerink also has a product similar to the ones' used for indoor rinks.

2- you could build boards out of 4'x8' plywood, frame the back, and have a 3-4" lip that comes down to the ice.  Some of it may reach the ice level so be sure to put 6 or 7 coatings of poly on the wood.  I'm gong to be working on this for my rink this spring/summer. 

Great pic of your sheet!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UCONN. Show UCONN's posts

In Response to backyard rink question:
    [QUOTE]Any of you know the answer to this - or point me to a more appropriate place to ask this question? I've made a backyard rink a few years now, I have a huge white trap, I bang stakes into the ground and I had some left over plywood just 12 inches high that acts as short boards and holds the tarp to contain the water/ice. Here's the question - I'd like to cover the exposed tarp so that when I shovel it or when pucks hit it, it doesn't get cut. How?  If I use wood it is going to splinter and get water logged. I'd also want to do it cheap.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

What about getting some old throw away flimsy carpet? You could secure it to the back side of the boards and tuck all of the extra tarp under it to keep it protected.

Looks great btw.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Aaarrgggg!!!!!

My beautiful wickedness is melting... melting... melting!!!

Aaarrgggg!!!!!
    Snow and ice avalanche off the roof!!!

Aaarrgggg!!!!!
    The Maple Leafs are winning.

Someone stop this madness. 

Someone beat the Leafs. 

Give me a few more night time freezes at least.