Balance of power in the East

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Balance of power in the East

Really interesting to sit back and watch how each team has approached free agency. How would you rate the moves by each team so far? Who has really improved their standing and who has lost their marbles?

2010-2011 Standings
    Washington
    Philly
    Boston
    Pitt
    Tampa Bay
    Montreal
    Buffalo
    NYR
    Carolina
    Toronto
    NJ
    Winnipeg
    Ottawa
    NYI
    Florida

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Balance of power in the East

In Response to Balance of power in the East:
    [QUOTE]Really interesting to sit back and watch how each team has approached free agency. How would you rate the moves by each team so far? Who has really improved their standing and who has lost their marbles? 2010-2011 Standings Washington Philly Boston Pitt Tampa Bay Montreal Buffalo NYR Carolina Toronto NJ Winnipeg Ottawa NYI Florida
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I think the Caps/Boston/Pitt/Philly have nothing to worry about.  TBay/Montreal are fringe playoff teams.  I think Florida just became the Chicago Cubs of hockey(sign everyone and fail terribly).  I think Buffalo will be a very very solid team next year.  That team was very injured last year.  Leino was overpaid but I think he is a very very solid player.  Roy healthy.  A much improved back end.  They will be good. 
    Pitt needs to be 100% healthy.  Watch for them to overpay today.  I say Gagne is going to Pitt. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I personally do not think anything has changed despite all the signings of yesterday. The top teams are still the top teams and the bottom feeders still looking in despite now having some albatross contracts to deal with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Here are my picks for next year's eastern playoff teams from 1-8. Without Richards and Carter, Philly is toast

Washington
    Boston
    Pitt
    NJ
    Bufalo
    NYR
    Carolina
    Montreal

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

KPD said everyone in the east got better and Bruins stayed pat.

I just don't see that, it's not as if there was a huge influx of players into the league like the KHL went out of business and everyone from that league is going to come over here...  and mostly populate the AHL ranks...

Anyways, the amount of talent in the league is roughly the same as last year, I am sure this year's rookie crop isn't going to deliver a lights out stud, and even if they do - the first 2 picks went to the west.

The only team which improved in the east I think is the Habs.  How much better?  Not sure how much, but it kind of boils down to Wiz for Cole and that's an upgrade.  They lost on defense and gained on offense and it's going to be that difference that the Habs improve by - and how much improvement that is is really tough to say.

Sorry fanboys, but the Bruins didn't lose anything in Ryder.  Yes, he had SOME good playoff games, but the fanboys refuse to admit he took a few of those games off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pittsburgh to me is in a bit of trouble re-signed Asham, Adams, Dupios and Kennedy woop dee doo. Lost Talbot and lost out on Jagr, 17M tied up in another concussion waiting to happen and oft injured Big Geno no Pepperoni's. After the big guns you've got Staal and maybe Kunitz then what ?

Not impressed at all!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Balance of power in the East:
    [QUOTE] They lost on defense and gained on offense and it's going to be that difference that the Habs improve by - and how much improvement that is is really tough to say.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

With Gorges likely to return (he's a RFA and the Habs have enough money to sign him) and Markov re-signed, a scoring forward was a much bigger need area for the Habs--especially a scoring forward who isn't a pure finesse guy. It all depends on people staying healthy, but best case scenario (for me, worst for you guys) all of them get through the season without any major injuries, MTL is likely much more formidable than last year.

Injuries, of course, throw a wrench into that, but every team could make the same claim.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Pittsburgh to me is in a bit of trouble re-signed Asham, Adams, Dupios and Kennedy woop dee doo. Lost Talbot and lost out on Jagr, 17M tied up in another concussion waiting to happen and oft injured Big Geno no Pepperoni's. After the big guns you've got Staal and maybe Kunitz then what ? Not impressed at all!
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think Pitt would have won the cup if healthy.  I think the fact they are getting Crosby and Gino(I like your name) is pretty significant.  I also think they had some young guys play very well last year.  Plus the addition of James Neal.  I don't think they are done.  And their dfence and goaltending is quite strong.
    I do agree with your thought process on this though.  It all depends on health.  If healthy they will contend. 
    I can see Gagne playing there with Sid.  Malkin with Neal.  Staal back to the 3rd line.  Still a pretty sick lineup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Balance of power in the East : With Gorges likely to return (he's a RFA and the Habs have enough money to sign him) and Markov re-signed, a scoring forward was a much bigger need area for the Habs--especially a scoring forward who isn't a pure finesse guy. It all depends on people staying healthy, but best case scenario (for me, worst for you guys) all of them get through the season without any major injuries, MTL is likely much more formidable than last year. Injuries, of course, throw a wrench into that, but every team could make the same claim.
    Posted by Kennedy97[/QUOTE]

No doubt they will be better.

But how much better?

Cole's going to have a busy summer.  Before the pond freezes over they have the springboard set up over it and he's got to be able to pull off a 2 and half gainer with a half twist.  Then when it freezes up there some time around September 3 he will have to practice that on the ice.  Very demanding schedule, you guys are really rough on them up there.  I've always wondered if the speedos are rouge et blanc et bleu and where they put the logo, hopefully someplace tasteful.  And it slipped my mind completely, but then there's the acting classes as well.  I hear PK has to go to some remedial classes this summer.  And then everyone has to learn to speak French.  How can they squeeze in time for hockey?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Balance of power in the East : I think Pitt would have won the cup if healthy...
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Maybe the Bruins would have won the cup in 1992 if Cam Neely had been healthy; maybe a 100% healthy Marc Savard would have made a big difference in 2010. Pittsburgh just got to taste some of their own poison last season.

It's still a team game; signing big names does not necessarily mean more success (see Gomez, Drury, etc.).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

I think BUFF will be a tougher team next year.  Watch them.  

MTL, NYR, PHI also made moves, but they have many injury prone concerns.

Remember - BOSTON didn't make a big signing, but if Savard comes back, that's HUGE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Balance of power in the East:
    [QUOTE]Really interesting to sit back and watch how each team has approached free agency. How would you rate the moves by each team so far? Who has really improved their standing and who has lost their marbles? 2010-2011 Standings Washington Philly Boston Pitt Tampa Bay Montreal Buffalo NYR Carolina Toronto NJ Winnipeg Ottawa NYI Florida
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Too early to say, no way Philly cracks my top 5, a 39 year old Jagr doesnt make 2 stupid trades balance out. If Crosby and Malkin are healthy is it between them and the Bruins with TB behind them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I think Montreal getting healthy and adding Cole will be very improved.  I'm just not sure about Philly- how does a team that loses Richards, Leino and Carter be better, even with improved goaltending?  Bryzgolov is a #1 guy for sure but he's been putrid in the last 2 playoffs.  Pittsburgh is another team that becomes more dangerous just being healthy.

I still dont believe in TB's goaltending, Roloson is another year older and Garon? Meh. Florida has to be improved but they still probably wont scare anyone.  Did Washington change much? Not really. 

I see Buffalo the most improved followed by Montreal and a couple other teams getting better just due to health.  KPD is right that the B's basically stood still.  Subtract Recchi and Ryder and maybe some development from Seguin?  Chia has the ability to make small additions which could help a lot yet.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

without question the Sabres overspent but you can't deny that the additions of Regehr, Ehrhoff & Leino make them a better squad....

add to that a healthy Derek Roy and the Sabres could be a formidable foe next year....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]without question the Sabres overspent but you can't deny that the additions of Regehr, Ehrhoff & Leino make them a better squad.... add to that a healthy Derek Roy and the Sabres could be a formidable foe next year....
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

Get used to the Sabres spending big bucks from now on with the new owner Pegula. He has been quoted as saying he'll spend whatever it takes to bring the cup to Buffalo. This guy has a ton of money up his wazoo.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/terrence-pegula

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Balance of power in the East : Get used to the Sabres spending big bucks from now on with the new owner Pegula. He has been quoted as saying he'll spend whatever it takes to bring the cup to Buffalo. This guy has a ton of money up his wazoo. http://www.forbes.com/profile/terrence-pegula
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

i also think he wants a return on his investments asap and that means that Ruff & Regier better deliver soon.... 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Washington just moved up this list with the Vokoun signing. Good goalie !

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I also have Caps moving up the list. Improved goaltending (Vokoun), grittier (Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer), and more depth on defense (Hamrlik).

They also got the Avs 1st round pick next year for Varlamov, whose gonna go to the KHL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

the caps moved up the list with voukon, but still are a sure bet to exit in the first round, maybe 2nd 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree with a lot of the comments here. WAS, BUF and MTL all got better. PHI to me seems to be going the wrong way. TB, PIT and BOS all seem to be about the same. Even with Crosby and Malkin back, it won't make a huge difference in regular season standings.

I just hope BOS doesn't let off the gas....they could easily be on the bubble at the trade deadline. It's not like there's a huge point gap between all these teams. Let's hope they're hungry and have some dealing to do later in the season, that's all...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

BUF, MON, Was, have improved but added no heart which is what you need to beat the Bruins. Philly has destroyed their team and will have problems with chemestry as will most of these new look teams.
    I have learned this season that it is the heart of the team that gives the drive to the players to win it all and the Bruins still have it where these other teams still try to find it. Good luck, but go Bruins.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]BUF, MON, Was, have improved but added no heart which is what you need to beat the Bruins. Philly has destroyed their team and will have problems with chemestry as will most of these new look teams. I have learned this season that it is the heart of the team that gives the drive to the players to win it all and the Bruins still have it where these other teams still try to find it. Good luck, but go Bruins.
    Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]

please stop posting about hockey..Buf,Mon and Was have no heart?? How the heck do you know..How many Sabres games did you watch or attend this year?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

[QUOTE]BUF, MON, Was, have improved but added no heart which is what you need to beat the Bruins. Philly has destroyed their team and will have problems with chemestry as will most of these new look teams. I have learned this season that it is the heart of the team that gives the drive to the players to win it all and the Bruins still have it where these other teams still try to find it. Good luck, but go Bruins.
    Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]

the B'S "heart" also won the Vezina & Conn Smythe trophies....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Posted by brunod[/QUOTE]
    Lack of heart was in the same sentence as the Bruins up to this year also.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

kelvana33 I hate to argue but it will be difficult for any team to find the heart it took to win the cup that the Bruins showed this season and I don't think any of thses teams added the heart it will take to get much better than they are. I have been in Hockey for more than 50 years and don't need any lessons from you., but in this game of hockey we can always learn something new so I'm ready to learn. Thank you.

Sections
Shortcuts