Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

Can the NHL please explain the difference in action, intent, and penalties given/not given?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

[QUOTE]Can the NHL please explain the difference in action, intent, and penalties given/not given?
    Posted by RawrBear[/QUOTE]

No, they can't. This is the problem. And then Shanny comes along and provides no consistency in handing down the punishments.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fletch brought this up also and I'm going to bump up this thread. 
    Dez where are you ?  Here's some material for all the Marchand haters.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    [QUOTE]Fletch brought this up also and I'm going to bump up this thread.  Dez where are you ?  Here's some material for all the Marchand haters.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    I haven't seen a clear enough replay to comment further.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    [QUOTE]Fletch brought this up also and I'm going to bump up this thread.  Dez where are you ?  Here's some material for all the Marchand haters.

The Marchand haters?  If someone else does it, it means that Marchand's actions are okay or even justified?  Listen, it was a dirty play made by a dirty player.  And he got a five minute major, which lead to two goals and cost the Bruins the game.

Yeah, let's defend him because someone else did it, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anddebbv. Show anddebbv's posts

let them play old time hockey ,why is there so many stuipd rules   42 years ago  the boys played hits fights  it was another  nite ,seems betmen rules are almost like basketball  get a life gary an what does shanny think with  his p enis

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The Marchand haters?  If someone else does it, it means that Marchand's actions are okay or even justified?  Listen, it was a dirty play made by a dirty player.  And he got a five minute major, which lead to two goals and cost the Bruins the game. Yeah, let's defend him because someone else did it, too.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

That's not it at all. I simply want the officials to be consistent with their calls and the league in handing out punishment. Is that too much to ask?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from orr4neely8. Show orr4neely8's posts

We can thread this post for infinity about bad calls, dirty plays and hockey is changing to the worst. I know Shanny has a job to do to his best and for some reason he is getting his money's worth. The refs need to make better calls last time I count their were two refs = 4 eyes and I disagree with the two ref system since it started. It should be one ref and video ref reassuring calls between periods. The Lucic call was wrong and the Marchand call was borderline at least 2 mins then the video ref and later let Shanny take over from there after the game is finish .ie of reassuring if a video ref upstairs look at video between periods and saw that Lucic was a legal player on ice then he could played the last 2 periods of the gm. and same with the marchand incident between 2nd and 3 rd period take a look at the play to make clearer call.

Personally the gm. is getting crazier and it is because of disrespect and  undiscipline. Already mention on another post someone mention that the refs lost control of the gm. and that is what it finally came down to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    [QUOTE]Can the NHL please explain the difference in action, intent, and penalties given/not given?
    Posted by RawrBear[/QUOTE]

Marchand on Salo:  Marchand comes in facing Salo, ducks as the last second and puts a shoulder/midsection low into the unsuspecting Salo.  Salo is coming down the boards to get the puck and expecting Marchand to play it.  Instead of playing the puck, Marchand ducks.

Ballard on Campbell:  Campbell is carrying the puck up the right side.  Ballard is skating backwards laterally towards Campbell, lowering his body the whole way for the check.  Campbell throws the puck forward as Ballard finished the action.  Ballard's check wasn't textbook or pretty, but it was a hockey play.

Now can we stop with "Why us but not them"?  The hits were very, very different.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Marchand on Salo:  Marchand comes in facing Salo, ducks as the last second and puts a shoulder/midsection low into the unsuspecting Salo.  Salo is coming down the boards to get the puck and expecting Marchand to play it.  Instead of playing the puck, Marchand ducks. Ballard on Campbell:  Campbell is carrying the puck up the right side.  Ballard is skating backwards laterally towards Campbell, lowering his body the whole way for the check.  Campbell throws the puck forward as Ballard finished the action.  Ballard's check wasn't textbook or pretty, but it was a hockey play. Now can we stop with "Why us but not them"?  The hits were very, very different.
    Sure, Salo was just cruising in backwards to get the puck and gets hit out of nowhere..........oh no! Look, you were wrong last year when you said Marchand would be nothing more than a 4th line fringe player and you're still wrong about him now. We get it. You hate him. Do you like winning Cups though because Marchand does.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Sure, Salo was just cruising in backwards to get the puck and gets hit out of nowhere..........oh no!
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Ballard was moving in to stop the puck carrier the whole way.  Marchand and Salo were going for a loose puck.

There is just no defending this hit, no matter how many different ways it can be spun.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

NAS put your spectacles back on. The replay shows Salo charging down to staple Marchand to the boards; Marchand goes for the puck and ducks under Salo's charge, as we've noticed him do reflexively. Marchand does NOT target Salo's knees at all, and is playing the puck. The video does not lie, so stop the "dirty" Marchand comments and review the play with objectivity.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Ballard was moving in to stop the puck carrier the whole way.  Marchand and Salo were going for a loose puck. There is just no defending this hit, no matter how many different ways it can be spun.
    Really because CJ is defending it too. I value his opinion over yours and I find you to be usually quite knowledgeable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Oh yeah, the rulebook also seems to defend this hit. Show us a replay in which Marchand takes out the knees and then I'll agree it was dirty.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Marchand on Salo:  Marchand comes in facing Salo, ducks as the last second and puts a shoulder/midsection low into the unsuspecting Salo.  Salo is coming down the boards to get the puck and expecting Marchand to play it.  Instead of playing the puck, Marchand ducks. Ballard on Campbell:  Campbell is carrying the puck up the right side.  Ballard is skating backwards laterally towards Campbell, lowering his body the whole way for the check.  Campbell throws the puck forward as Ballard finished the action.  Ballard's check wasn't textbook or pretty, but it was a hockey play. Now can we stop with "Why us but not them"?  The hits were very, very different.

The clipping rule does not make the distinction that you are making.  Should be viewed as the same hits if you use rule-book.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : I haven't seen a clear enough replay to comment further. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22QS99ReTo

Move it to the 9:49min mark Dez when you get a sec. The hit happens pretty quickly with no replay so you might have to watch it more than once. Salo gets real low so it just confirms to me that the refs were not consistent throughout the game.

I would say that I think Shanahan will realize after watching the game tape that Vancouver got away with allot of things that should have been addressed on the ice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

There was an article in October where they were stating that Ballard is notorious for clipping.....there is no such thing as an innocent team when it comes to head shots or dirty play. NONE. Every team is guilty of something. The NHL is easily the worst when it comes to hypocritical fans.

Every team has a guy that has dished out a concussion at some point. Every team has a guy that has slew-footed. Every team has a guy that has thrown a vicious blind-sided hit.

The biggest thing I took from their game yesterday? There still isn't one team in the NHL that can play with this Bruins team @ 5 on 5 on a consistent basis.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo :               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22QS99ReTo Move it to the 9:49min mark Dez when you get a sec. The hit happens pretty quickly with no replay so you might have to watch it more than once. Salo gets real low so it just confirms to me that the refs were not consistent throughout the game. I would say that I think Shanahan will realize after watching the game tape that Vancouver got away with allot of things that should have been addressed on the ice.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Thanks San. The comments were priceless too. One Nucks fan suggested Marchand needs to be suspended for hitting Salo from behind.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ballard...Marchand -- it's the same hit.  You're coming into a collision with another player, and you dive down to lowbridge them.  Equally dangerous, equally cheap.  Ballard has a history of those types of hits too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo :               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G22QS99ReTo Move it to the 9:49min mark Dez when you get a sec. The hit happens pretty quickly with no replay so you might have to watch it more than once. Salo gets real low so it just confirms to me that the refs were not consistent throughout the game. I would say that I think Shanahan will realize after watching the game tape that Vancouver got away with allot of things that should have been addressed on the ice.

The only problem is Shannahan might go with reputation and what he calls many borderline infractions  i.e. Lucic on Rinaldo.  If he does go this route Marchand will get 1-2 games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Reputation? Ballard has been penalized multiple times in the past year for clipping. He has a league-wide reputation for clipping in particular. Marchand just has a rep for being a little turd, not clipping.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The only problem is Shannahan might go with reputation and what he calls many borderline infractions  i.e. Lucic on Rinaldo.  If he does go this route Marchand will get 1-2 games.
    And lets not forget about Ference questioning his decision making just last week.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The only problem is Shannahan might go with reputation and what he calls many borderline infractions  i.e. Lucic on Rinaldo.  If he does go this route Marchand will get 1-2 games.

Shanahan created the precedent with Lucic that it may not be the play in front of him that gets the player suspended.  The hit on Rinaldo was not from behind, despite the fact that Shanahan called it an illegal hit.  Lucic gets the game for a questionable hit following the Miller hit/fine, kind of a "make up call".

Same thing with Marchand.  Fined for the slew-foot, instead of a suspension may get him suspended here.  Probably deserved a game or two for the slew-foot, so it is hard to be too upset if Shanahan gets him this time around, but it would be a "make up call".

The mitigating circumstance is the fact that the B's already got screwed on the Lucic Game Misconduct and 5 on 3.  It will be interesting to see how Shanahan applies the "make up call" logic on this one. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Well Legion if Shannahan suspends Lucic then he'd better suspend Hansen for grabbing Thornton from the bench also Brendan better suspend Ballard for his hit on Campbell if he suspends Marchand. I'm with Crowls and allot others both hits were not at or below the knees.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]Well Legion if Shannahan suspends Lucic then he'd better suspend Hansen for grabbing Thornton from the bench also Brendan better suspend Ballard for his hit on Campbell if he suspends Marchand. I'm with Crowls and allot others both hits were not at or below the knees.

Suspension to Lucic has nothing to do with yesterdays game ,I was talking about the Philly game and the hit on Rinaldo that Shannahan suspended .Crowls explains it pretty well on how Marchand might be judged.
    In the end it's not for his hit on Salo but an accumulation of borderline infractions. I still say he deserved only 2mins for interference.  Instead they blew the call and gave him 5mins.
    I'm glad you also saw the Vancouver players on the bench grabbing Thornton also. TOTALLY GUTLESS.  It wasn't only a 5 on 1 but more like 7 on 1.