Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

I see no reason why the player that wins the race to get the puck should be the one who has to take the punishment. I learned quickly in hockey to make a pre-emptive hit to avoid getting destroyed by a bigger guy coming in behind me.  When you are the two closest guys playing the puck, contact is allowed so you do whatever it takes to win battles and not get injured within the rules. It's not interference because you are the ones attempting to play the puck.

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    [QUOTE]High, low, clipping...the one thing I've never liked is the pre-emptive hit in races for the puck, specifically this kind where one guy is clearly going to win the race and the other guy is coming in to take the body.  The guy who already has position on the puck basically commits interference by hitting the guy without the puck, and the dangerous part is that the whole purpose is to catch him off guard.  Usually, to make this kind of move physically requires the kind of move that causes injuries - a sudden lunge with the shoulder that often catches the chaser in the head, an elbow coming up, or, in Marchand's case, a low-bridge.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You can jostle for position, sure - but when neither guy has touched the puck yet, the rules are pretty clear that you can't hit a guy who doesn't have the puck.  Marchand pre-empts the hit with his low-bridge, and Salo doesn't have the puck.  There's a reason why you see these hits and they look like cheap shots - it's reaction of the player who takes the hit.  He's usually surprised because - and stop me if this sound familiar - he's not expecting to get hit because he doesn't have the puck.

There are all sorts of ways to do what you're describing OatesCam, a lot of them very similar to what a low post player does in basketball to establish position and take away the other player's leverage.  Delivering a hit - not just making contact, but a real hit - shouldn't be one of them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The link was posted to make both videos readily available.  Nowhere did I mention anything of the opinion of the author.  You can take your pathetic posts like this one and shove them.  90% of the time, SanDog, you're a lot of fun and full of quality.  The other 10% you try to embarrass me and instead just end up looking wicked, wicked stupid.  You remind me a lot of Chowda.  Your posts are usally pretty good, but once in a while you try to make a stand in quicksand and just fail miserably.  This is one of those occasions.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

In the last month I have restrained from any type of confrontation with you. How do you expect me to be civil with you when your posts take shots at me when I'm not even involved ? You can take take this comment and shove it up your NAShole . 

Talk about looking bitter and wickedly stupid. You remind me of NAS. 10% quality , 90% hate and bitterness from getting speed-bagged.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Usually when a guy is going for the puck along the boards, he sets himself up to actually get the puck by putting himself along the boards to block the clearing attempt. Salo tried that on the previous clearing attempt which didn't work out too well and likely didn't appreciate Marchand's smack to the back of the head either.

Salo was going for the hit not the puck. 

Furthermore, if he was going for a low hit, his center of gravity would have been lower and he wouldn't have tumbled like he did.

Dangerous hit but I'd like to know what the correct play by Marchand is?

If he doesn't duck, it's a high hit coming at him from a bad angle. A charge and a boarding call that hopefully doesn't cause serious injury to Marchand. If he does duck, it's a dirty hit and suspendable?

I completely agree with Julien, "if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because that's the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too."

If Salo went for the puck instead of the high hit, he wouldn't have gotten a concussion.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Good point. If there was a flaw in what Marchand did, it was that he did "too much of a hit", and not the type of hit. If anything he should have gotten a minor for interference, not a clipping penalty.  I don't know if throwing a hip (or shoulder) check as two players approach a puck is against the rules, but I can agree with the idea that it might not be necessary. I wouldn't say that Salo looked like he was going to clobber Marchand.

[QUOTE]You can jostle for position, sure - but when neither guy has touched the puck yet, the rules are pretty clear that you can't hit a guy who doesn't have the puck.  Marchand pre-empts the hit with his low-bridge, and Salo doesn't have the puck.  There's a reason why you see these hits and they look like cheap shots - it's reaction of the player who takes the hit.  He's usually surprised because - and stop me if this sound familiar - he's not expecting to get hit because he doesn't have the puck. There are all sorts of ways to do what you're describing OatesCam, a lot of them very similar to what a low post player does in basketball to establish position and take away the other player's leverage.  Delivering a hit - not just making contact, but a real hit - shouldn't be one of them.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

A lot of opinions about Marchand's hit.

Before I comment on plays like this I make sure I know what the rule is as clearly defined. Some-have-not. What Marchand did was within the rules. A hip check above the knee area . Protecting yourself on the ice is a mechanism for anyone playing the game. Marchand did it within the rules. Hits like this have happened forever . I read comments like dangerous and dirty. If it's such a dangerous hit then the NHL should change the definition of clipping ( hip and below ) to protect the players from these types of hits. Dirty ? When did hitting at the hip become dirty ?

Under the current rules Marchand should have been going back the other way with the puck still playing in the game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flave36. Show flave36's posts

First off I agree its a dirty play, but if there's no consistency in penalties called than there is a grey area to a hit like this.

Simple question, how is Marchand on Salo different than Raymond hit on Marchand ?

See's the player coming to make a hit and duck out of the way. Only difference I see is Salo got injured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmSiIsz74I

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo :  You can take your pathetic posts like this one and shove them.  90% of the time, you're a lot of fun and full of quality.  Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I confirmed quite a few things watching the videos again neither were at or below the knees, If Marchand's hit got called so should have Ballard's, Neither players are angels, Marchand will get some games because of the end reaction plus his reputation not the hit and the game was terribly refereed.

I've never entered this site trying too or with the intention of making a poster look bad unless they are a troll. One thing I have found with you Sir NASness is when someone on here returns a condescending reply back at you or disagrees with any of your points you try to end the argument by putting them down or typing "you don't get it" or "that's not the point".

I'll take 90% over 60%, 50% or 40% anyday, Thank You! Oh and by the way good burn it's about time you told me to "shove it!".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The only difference, of course, is that Ballard's hit was not identical to Marchand's.

what about this one while we're at it ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTt5Aa9dg5g&feature=youtu.be

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

[QUOTE]How would Bruins fans react if Lucic was chasing Subban into the corner and just when he was about to throw the hit Subban ducks and takes out Lucic below the hip and he topples head first into the boards? By allowing hits like Marchands to happen the league would really be setting a bad precedent that would see numerous injuries. Regardless of what  Ballard did to Jamie Mcginn or Marchand did to Salo they are both wrong and both cheap and the league has to stop it. I have a hard time understanding how Bs fans can condone that hit yesterday and fail to realize the consequences if hits like that are allowed.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]
     Since you asked, I have no problem with smaller forwards ducking to protect themselves when hugh defensemen take a run at them and try to smash them face-first into the boards. Over the years the most serious injuries have come from defensemen doing exactly that. A forward races for a loose puck and gets drilled into the boards, when the  clear intent of the defenseman is not to play the puck but to crush a smaller sized player. Salo wasn't playing the puck. He took a run at Marchand and Marchand protected himself. I played both forward and defense and I don't even see it as a penalty. If somebody much bigger is taking a run at you, you have to have a way to avoid the collision. It's Salo's own fault he was upended, if he had been playing the puck instead of trying to drill the guy it probably wouldn't have happened. Watch the play again and see whether it's the little guy's only recourse when a player who is 7 inches taller tries to smash him into the boards. Just my opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The problem with your reponse, Crowls, is that it does not address my post.  My post states nothing of the penalty called, but instead addresses two separate and very different hits. And unlike others, I'm not doing the circus seal on my knees in front of Marchand.  No one can say he's not a dirty player (see the suspension for the filty elbow to Umberger's head last season and his slew footing antics for more on this), but I get called to the mat for saying that he is.
    I've never seen any posts suggesting Lucic is a dirty player yet he has a longer history of suspensions than Marchand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If Marchand goes low and doesn't stride into Salo's legs and then throw his arms up, there is no suspension.  If he skates straight up the boards, he avoids most of the contact with Salo and carries the puck up the ice.  He chose that one step lunge into Salo so he'd deliver the contact and not take it.  That's where he crossed the line.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : I've never seen any posts suggesting Lucic is a dirty player yet he has a longer history of suspensions than Marchand.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

"But what about that guy?" isn't a defense, Dez.  Whether or not Lucic is dirty does not change the fact that Marchand is.  The elbow to the head of Umberger and his slew footing are all the evidence I need to make my decision.  The kid is a rat.  He's a Canuck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : "But what about that guy?" isn't a defense, Dez.  Whether or not Lucic is dirty does not change the fact that Marchand is.  The elbow to the head of Umberger and his slew footing are all the evidence I need to make my decision.  The kid is a rat.  He's a Canuck.
    Nas, I'm simply making the point that you've contributed numerous posts referencing Marchand as a dirty player and you used his history of fines/suspensions as evidence to back it up. I was just wondering why you don't ever call out Lucic under the same parameters. It would seem Brad gets extra attention from you and that was all I was getting at.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Nas, I'm simply making the point that you've contributed numerous posts referencing Marchand as a dirty player and you used his history of fines/suspensions as evidence to back it up. I was just wondering why you don't ever call out Lucic under the same parameters. It would seem Brad gets extra attention from you and that was all I was getting at.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

They are two different types of players.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : They are two different types of players.
    Yes, I know.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

NAS is relentless when it comes to Marchand. He'll always come back with terse and snippy responses; at this point, I'm starting to get over it.

I have no problem with the suspension; yes, you could easily argue that it was a dirty play.
    What makes Marchand different from the Canucks is that he doesn't back away from the straight-on stuff. Last June, he clotheslined Ehrhoff, went low on Sedin....but then, he dropped the mitts with Ballard. Most Canucks players do these things and then when confronted, they back down.

And this initial post isn't about how Marchand's play was dirty; it was about how the Canucks are hypocritical in their assessment of Marchand. I think the play that was used to compare the hits wasn't a very good one, but I'll tell you what was...

Last June, Mason Raymond coming up the boards in the neutral zone, and Marchand coming at him to throw a hit; Raymond dumps the puck, ducks, and flips Marchand over his head. The difference in these hits? How Marchand landed compared to Salo, and where the hits were on the ice. However, Marchand had no control over either of these with his hit on Saturday, and they should both be deemed irrelevant when looking at the intent of the hits.

Say what you want about Marchand on this hit; it doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is the ignorance that you display when you post comments like "The only thing they have in common is that they have nothing in common at all". Your terse, smart-a**, contribute-nothing-to-society remarks are getting old for all of us who waste our few seconds to read the 5-word responses that you post in order to bring other people down.

You love the other 19 guys on this Bruins team right now, but if I recall, you were still all glood-and-doom this summer, suggesting that the Bruins run was luck. Now you're all over the other 19 Bruins' sacks again, and will return to the previous state if and when the Bruins start losing again.

Your predictable response to this post: "There are 22 other guys if you count the scratched players".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS is relentless when it comes to Marchand. (snip) You love the other 19 guys on this Bruins team right now, but if I recall, you were still all glood-and-doom this summer, suggesting that the Bruins run was luck. Now you're all over the other 19 Bruins' sacks again, and will return to the previous state if and when the Bruins start losing again. Your predictable response to this post: "There are 22 other guys if you count the scratched players".
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

Wow, is this directed at me?  Am I the "you" there?  If so, please understand that I am not in love with the 19 other guys.  Thornton is a joke, and the McQuaid/Boychuk tandem could use an upgrade.  So it's 16.  Learn to count.

If this is about me, please post a link to anything I might have stated about the B's Cup run/victory being all luck.

I'll wait right here.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

You've made 7500+ posts in a little over 2 years. Reading just a few of your posts a day sometimes feels like a waste of time; I refuse to go back to the summer to provide a few links just to prove a point that you're a miserable pr**k. I'm pretty certain that there are lots of people on here that will agree with my assessment of your posts.

Judging by the players that you dislike, I'd guess that you were a Habs fan.

...I really hope that you haven't been "waiting right here".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]You've made 7500+ posts in a little over 2 years. Reading just a few of your posts a day sometimes feels like a waste of time; I refuse to go back to the summer to provide a few links just to prove a point that you're a miserable pr**k. I'm pretty certain that there are lots of people on here that will agree with my assessment of your posts. Judging by the players that you dislike, I'd guess that you were a Habs fan. ...I really hope that you haven't been "waiting right here".
    Posted by TheGuyWithDaThing[/QUOTE]

You should change your name to PK Subban.  This post, after being called out for posting lies, is like Subban on the ice last night, covering his head.

Yeah, I must be a Habs fan because I'm a fan of Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Seguin Peverley, Kelly, Campbell, Paille, Chara, Ference, Seidenberg and Thomas.

Duck and cover, PK.  If you're going to post lies about things I said, it's better to just simply say, "Hey, I was wrong.  Sorry 'bout that." 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : You should change your name to PK Subban.  This post, after being called out for posting lies, is like Subban on the ice last night, covering his head. Yeah, I must be a Habs fan because I'm a fan of Lucic, Krejci, Horton, Bergeron, Seguin Peverley, Kelly, Campbell, Paille, Chara, Ference, Seidenberg and Thomas. Duck and cover, PK.  If you're going to post lies about things I said, it's better to just simply say, "Hey, I was wrong.  Sorry 'bout that."  Just ask Chowda.

The Guy, he'll stalk you acting like a troll for months.

Is that what you wanted to hear ? I'd say that The Guy has you figured out pretty accurately. I agree with him.

Your anti-Bruin act with certain topics and ask Chowda comments are old, repetitive and tiresome. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Oops.  I edited that underlined part out, but you were quoting it in the meantime.

I'm not Anti-Bruins about anything.  I'm anti-goon and anti-punk but I'm not anti-Bruins.

So, you agree with him that I was all gloom and doom about the B's and made many posts about how the Cup victory was luck?  Feel free to link us to that!  LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]Oops.  I edited that underlined part out, but you were quoting it in the meantime. I'm not Anti-Bruins about anything.  I'm anti-goon and anti-punk but I'm not anti-Bruins. So, you agree with him that I was all gloom and doom about the B's and made many posts about how the Cup victory was luck?  Feel free to link us to that!  LOL

I'm agreeing with this .

"NAS is relentless when it comes to Marchand. He'll always come back with terse and snippy responses; at this point, I'm starting to get over it."

And 'oops' doesn't help with the fact that I had to read that crap......again. How about you following your own advice and posting a simple ' sorry about that ' ?