Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo

I got to see the Vancouver broadcast on NHL channel, and one of the studio analysts said, "The refs know. They see No. 63 and they already know what to expect." It was a super homer comment, but he's right in that I think that's why Lucic and Marchand are targets because the refs see them get demonstrative or emotional and they take it as them being cheapshot guys. I think you can make that case as much with 100 players across the league. You call the game based on what is happening in the game, not on reputation. And that's the problem with refs. Call the game right, and none of the nonsense happens. One of the fears for me in recent seasons was seeing Thornton on the ice because if he tapped a player he gets called for a 2-minute penalty. That's a reputation penalty, and it can cost the team a goal. Shawn has learned in the past 2 seasons that you can't take stupid penalties as a forward. He simply fights now, which is the best way to exemplify the team enforcer role.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    I got to see the Vancouver broadcast on NHL channel, and one of the studio analysts said, "The refs know. They see No. 63 and they already know what to expect." It was a super homer comment, but he's right in that I think that's why Lucic and Marchand are targets because the refs see them get demonstrative or emotional and they take it as them being cheapshot guys. I think you can make that case as much with 100 players across the league. You call the game based on what is happening in the game, not on reputation. And that's the problem with refs. Call the game right, and none of the nonsense happens. One of the fears for me in recent seasons was seeing Thornton on the ice because if he tapped a player he gets called for a 2-minute penalty. That's a reputation penalty, and it can cost the team a goal. Shawn has learned in the past 2 seasons that you can't take stupid penalties as a forward. He simply fights now, which is the best way to exemplify the team enforcer role.
    Posted by dannycater

Danny, yesterday was a perfect example of this. Out of that huge scrum it ends up being Thornton and Lucic who get the penalties.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Yup, dez...exactly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo:
    NAS put your spectacles back on. The replay shows Salo charging down to staple Marchand to the boards; Marchand goes for the puck and ducks under Salo's charge, as we've noticed him do reflexively. Marchand does NOT target Salo's knees at all, and is playing the puck. The video does not lie, so stop the "dirty" Marchand comments and review the play with objectivity.
    Posted by bogie6

Marchand doesn't play the puck.  He leaves it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

How would Bruins fans react if Lucic was chasing Subban into the corner and just when he was about to throw the hit Subban ducks and takes out Lucic below the hip and he topples head first into the boards?

By allowing hits like Marchands to happen the league would really be setting a bad precedent that would see numerous injuries. Regardless of what  Ballard did to Jamie Mcginn or Marchand did to Salo they are both wrong and both cheap and the league has to stop it.

I have a hard time understanding how Bs fans can condone that hit yesterday and fail to realize the consequences if hits like that are allowed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

How would Bruins fans react if Lucic was chasing Subban into the corner and just when he was about to throw the hit Subban ducks and takes out Lucic below the hip and he topples head first into the boards? By allowing hits like Marchands to happen the league would really be setting a bad precedent that would see numerous injuries. Regardless of what  Ballard did to Jamie Mcginn or Marchand did to Salo they are both wrong and both cheap and the league has to stop it. I have a hard time understanding how Bs fans can condone that hit yesterday and fail to realize the consequences if hits like that are allowed.
    Posted by Newfiebullet

I get that you don't like it, but what's is the infraction? Marchand's hit is clearly above the knee.  

At the knee or below, and I am with you, but the hit on Salo does not break a rule.  Is it bad form?  Probably.  You just don't suspend guys for that. 

I think what CJ said makes quite a bit of sense. Maybe if players are more wary of someone ducking a big hit, there would be less headhunting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boppyf. Show Boppyf's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The Marchand haters?  If someone else does it, it means that Marchand's actions are okay or even justified?  Listen, it was a dirty play made by a dirty player.  And he got a five minute major, which lead to two goals and cost the Bruins the game. Yeah, let's defend him because someone else did it, too.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

you must be a lefty bet you never played hockey. You probably don't want tag played in the schoolyard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Marchand doesn't play the puck.  He leaves it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Correct and that's why he should have gotten 2mins for interference not 5mins for clipping .
    Just because Hamhuis and Ballard hit players that carried the puck does not make it good hits, those were dirty because they hit at knee level.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

if shaMahan looks at the video -3rd ,4th, 5th, 6th man in.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Suspension to Lucic has nothing to do with yesterdays game
    Posted by BsLegion

Exactly my point that Lucic and Marchand get game misconducts on reputation along with possible future suspensions. Hanson doesn't get the gate for grabbing Thornton from the bench, Ballard's has a history of borderline hits but was not penalized for an identical hit like Marchand's.

It doesn't matter what game it is or was, what it depends on is the official or disciplinarian doing the ruling.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

IMO, it was a cheap, dirty hit. The kind of hit that I keep hoping Marchand will quit tying
    He was penalized for it, and that should be the end of it, but with the NHL having no real game plan on suspensions, Marchand could get as much as 2 games, because of reputation.
    I would not mind him getting a couple of games, if it will help speed up his maturing process.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from derpy. Show derpy's posts

IMO, it was a cheap, dirty hit. The kind of hit that I keep hoping Marchand will quit tying He was penalized for it, and that should be the end of it, but with the NHL having no real game plan on suspensions, Marchand could get as much as 2 games, because of reputation. I would not mind him getting a couple of games, if it will help speed up his maturing process.
    Posted by biggskye

A player raising a knee to Marchands head when he tries this might help him mature a little quicker....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : Exactly my point that Lucic and Marchand get game misconducts on reputation along with possible future suspensions. Hanson doesn't get the gate for grabbing Thornton from the bench, Ballard's has a history of borderline hits but was not penalized for an identical hit like Marchand's. It doesn't matter what game it is or was, what it depends on is the official or disciplinarian doing the ruling.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The only difference, of course, is that Ballard's hit was not identical to Marchand's.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/while-facing-suspension-brad-marchand-makes-self-defense-221829397.html#more-21926

Wysh has both videos here.  Watch both hits.  Please let me know if you think they are the same.  I will send you a coupon for Pearl Vision.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/while-facing-suspension-brad-marchand-makes-self-defense-221829397.html#more-21926 Wysh has both videos here.  Watch both hits.  Please let me know if you think they are the same.  I will send you a coupon for Pearl Vision.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I agreed earlier with you it's not the same .  While both Ballard's hit yesterday and Hamhuis on Lucic in last years playoffs are kneee hits can we agree they are dirty also ? 
    No matter if the players getting hit have the puck or not.
    You're sole reasoning is that they are no the same hits although I think what people here are saying is Ballard's is as dirty if not dirtier because he gets the knees.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/while-facing-suspension-brad-marchand-makes-self-defense-221829397.html#more-21926 Wysh has both videos here.  Watch both hits.  Please let me know if you think they are the same.  I will send you a coupon for Pearl Vision.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

According to the rulebook, identical plays as the clipping rule would or would not apply.  By definition, neither of the hits are penalties. 

The difference is you hate Marchand and have been on a crusade to smear the kid every chance you get.  Not sure I have seen a negative post from you on Ballard.

My vision is near perfect, so please donate my Pearl Vision coupon to a worthy cause.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have looked at the play again, and reviewed the rule:

44.1 Clipping - Clipping is the act of throwing the body, from any direction, across or below the knees of an opponent.

This hit was clearly above Salo's knee.  I now think it should not have even been a penalty. I don't think it will be a suspension, in spite of Marchand's reputation. It was not Salo's knee that was injured, it was his head? or shoulder. Low/Hip checks are allowed whether anyone likes them or not. Personally, I love hip checks.  Too bad Salo got hurt, but that's the game. You should be ready for high hits from tall guys, low hits from short ones.  Also, there is no distinction in the rulebook between hitting a guy who is carrying the puck and two guys colliding battling for the puck. So this hit is the same as Ballard's in that they are both hip checks, and both should be allowed. Different plays of course, but same checking technique: lower your center of gravity below your opponent's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : According to the rulebook, identical plays as the clipping rule would or would not apply.  By definition, neither of the hits are penalties.  The difference is you hate Marchand and have been on a crusade to smear the kid every chance you get.  Not sure I have seen a negative post from you on Ballard. My vision is near perfect, so please donate my Pearl Vision coupon to a worthy cause.
    Posted by Crowls2424

The problem with your reponse, Crowls, is that it does not address my post.  My post states nothing of the penalty called, but instead addresses two separate and very different hits.

And unlike others, I'm not doing the circus seal on my knees in front of Marchand.  No one can say he's not a dirty player (see the suspension for the filty elbow to Umberger's head last season and his slew footing antics for more on this), but I get called to the mat for saying that he is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The only difference, of course, is that Ballard's hit was not identical to Marchand's. Posted by Not-A-Shot

According to you they are not identical that is not where the opinion ends and replying that you think Puck Daddy knows more about hockey than me isn't going to cut it either. You cannot convince me otherwise so go ahead and keep your coupons.

Oh n make sure your cell phone is charged up when Marchand returns from his suspension as we know you love to show of your video for proof. Much props for standing up for what you believe in too bad I don't have allot of respect for Greg  Wyshynski other that his blog is entertaining and sometimes funny.

Good luck with the rest of the jury counselor.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : According to you they are not identical that is not where the opinion ends and replying that you think Puck Daddy knows more about hockey than me isn't going to cut it either. You cannot convince me otherwise so go ahead and keep your coupons. Oh n make sure your cell phone is charged up when Marchand returns from his suspension as we know you love to show of your video for proof. Much props for standing up for what you believe in too bad I don't have allot of respect for Greg  Wyshynski other that his blog is entertaining and sometimes funny. Good luck with the rest of the jury counselor.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

The link was posted to make both videos readily available.  Nowhere did I mention anything of the opinion of the author.  You can take your pathetic posts like this one and shove them.  90% of the time, SanDog, you're a lot of fun and full of quality.  The other 10% you try to embarrass me and instead just end up looking wicked, wicked stupid.  You remind me a lot of Chowda.  Your posts are usally pretty good, but once in a while you try to make a stand in quicksand and just fail miserably.  This is one of those occasions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

High, low, clipping...the one thing I've never liked is the pre-emptive hit in races for the puck, specifically this kind where one guy is clearly going to win the race and the other guy is coming in to take the body.  The guy who already has position on the puck basically commits interference by hitting the guy without the puck, and the dangerous part is that the whole purpose is to catch him off guard.  Usually, to make this kind of move physically requires the kind of move that causes injuries - a sudden lunge with the shoulder that often catches the chaser in the head, an elbow coming up, or, in Marchand's case, a low-bridge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kivvak. Show kivvak's posts

Seconds before the hit Marchand and Salo were jousting with each other out at the circles. Salo came in with the intent to run Marchand and he ducked. If you watch the replay closely Salo leaves his feet to make the hit and Marchand catchs his hip. The refs have to make a split second decision, so it will be interesting to see what Shanahan does. They let him make this same hit a couple of times before without a penalty. It was called the way it was because all of the hype around the game and the pre game whining by  the Canucks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : The problem with your reponse, Crowls, is that it does not address my post.  My post states nothing of the penalty called, but instead addresses two separate and very different hits. And unlike others, I'm not doing the circus seal on my knees in front of Marchand.  No one can say he's not a dirty player (see the suspension for the filty elbow to Umberger's head last season and his slew footing antics for more on this), but I get called to the mat for saying that he is.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If that is your main point, then I will stipulate the hits are different.  Ballard plays on the Canucks, while Marchand plays on the Bruins.  Ballard's hit is from a d-man's posture while Marchand's contact is initiated while going for a loose puck.  Big deal.

I am on record as saying the Niskanen slew-foot was dirty and should have earned him a game or two.  That said, I do not think this hit is a penalty as defined by the rule.  Unfortunately, I still think he will be suspended because of the following:
    - he was fined, not suspended for the slew-foot
    - he was assessed a major by on ice officials
    - Salo is being reported to have a concussion
    - Shanahan caved to the pressure when assessing the Lucic suspension

When the suspension announcement comes down, if it is 1-2 games, I'll be ok with it.  That is what he should have got for the slew-foot, so justice is ultimately served (make-up call).  Anything more than that, it will be further evidence that Shanahan has lost control and is caving to the likes of Gillis and the internet swirl (see Lucic).

If Shanahan has the courage to call it like it is...not even a penalty, then I will be impressed.  That just is not my expectation.

NAS, my guess is that when the suspension comes down you will be celebrating like a Canuck fan?  Maybe jumping on the web with some more "Marchand is dirty, I wish he weren't a Bruin" rhetoric? The folks on TSN.com will really love you for it.  It will be more documented evidence for you to pull out to continue your crusade, like your mentioning of that "filthy" elbow on Umberger in the post I am responding to. 

After all, he will have as many suspensions and fines as Lucic, another dirty Bruin, right? Looking forward to more "Lucic is dirty, I wish he weren't a Bruin" threads from you.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Ballard's hit on Campbell identical to Marchand's hit on Salo : If that is your main point, then I will stipulate the hits are different.
    Posted by Crowls2424

This thread title states they are the same.  My entrance here on this one is to point out that they are different.  That's all.  The rest of your comments are off topic.

Sections
Shortcuts