Bandwagon Fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bstn2k11. Show bstn2k11's posts

Bandwagon Fans

Great to see all fans at the Bruins parade but it gets really annoying when a lady behind is asking where Milar Lucic is and actually confused Tim Thomas for a photographer on the back up a pick up truck.  As a Bruins die hard, I actually enjoy that the majority of the people who are fans and attend games are knowledgeable and attend games to actually watch unlike the pink hats who attend Sox games.  Hockey is a little more than a niche in this area but I’m happy to still have the Bruins be behind the Sox, Pats and Celts.  Any other true fans have any stories of any bandwagon fans?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Re: Bandwagon Fans

Not to be a jerk, but I was a bandwagon fan in 1969.  I turned into a loyal fan in the meanwhile.  I too enjoyed the fact some on here drove from Nova Scotia to watch the parade.  Bandwagoners are welcome in my book.  The fact the Bs and hockey are relevant is very pleasing.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Bandwagon Fans:
    Not to be a jerk, but I was a bandwagon fan in 1969.  I turned into a loyal fan in the meanwhile.  I too enjoyed the fact some on here drove from Nova Scotia to watch the parade.  Bandwagoners are welcome in my book.  The fact the Bs and hockey are relevant is very pleasing.  
    Posted by islamorada

Great point islamorada, every has to jump on the band-wagon at some point.  This Cup run has likely invited plenty of "bandwagoners" that will become life-long fans.  Good for hockey in the area, great for the Bruins in the long run. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeBruinsFan. Show LeBruinsFan's posts

I was 9 when the B's won in '72.

Nice to have a new generation of fans experience a cup win.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

It happens in all sports when a team wins. I'm a Patriots fan, and have been since I was a little kid. And while it does get slightly annoying sometimes to remember that I was the ONLY Pats fan in my college dorm in Vermont in 1991 (a dorm loaded with Boston kids), I'd much rather be in the here and now when there are tons of Pats fans than back in 91 when it was all Bills, Giants, Steelers and Cowboys. It makes gameday a lot more fun when there's a large bandwagon than a small one.

So put up with the small irritations and some of the so-called "pink-hats". It's better for the team and fan base overall.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

bandwagoning is a national past-time...In the 1970s, no one wore Pats hats (well i did). But sure were a lot of Steelers and Cowboys shirts/jerseys. Now you see Pats stuff a lot more all over. B's will have more and more people wearing their stuff based on the Cup win. I bought a Pierce 34 shirt when the Celts won...Haven't really followed the team since the Lewis/McHale squad. Anyway, if bandwagon fans rally for the B's now, so be it. It's expected.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How funny, Kennedy and I posted the exact same thing within seconds. Both of us using the Steelers/Cowboys reference. Love it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Bandwagon fans abound for all 4 Boston tems but who really cares? The only time they aggrevate me is when they start calling for this player or that coach to be let go when they haven't a clue what's going on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

i was one of the nova scotian fellas that made the trip.  and i know there were a lot more.  Toronto-Montreal-Boston in that order for most maritme provinces.  lots of sid fans here as well since it is his home town.  My little guy will get to meet Brad this summer.  His cousin has been invited to Brads party and she is gonna take my 3 yr old.  My S/Sgt actually coached him in minor hockey. 
    He should get a nice welcome from the NS faithful

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Shupe, as an aside, you're not at Stad are you?

And I agree with Evil, the bandwagon fans only bug me when they pretend to have expetise in the team. However, they have to start learning about them at some point, right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

There are three types of bandwagon fans IMO. 

The first are fans who love the sport and the team (any sport or team) but might have lost interest because the team kept losing. I can understand that. Watching a poor team in which you feel the management isn't doing enough to help the team win can turn a fan off. Those fans are looking for a reason to come back. I think there were a lot of fans like that with the Bruins. Even though they won the Stanley Cup this year, the fans already were coming back a couple of years ago when they started seeing a change in the organization. 

Some might thing that this type of fan might be considered bandwagon because they didn't stick with the team in tough times, but I'm a bit more generous. I feel this type of fan didn't leave the team as much as the team left the fan because there was always a latent passion for the team waiting to break loose. I think we've seen that with the Bruins, not just this year but in the last few seasons.

The second type of bandwagon fan are the ones who might not know a lot of hockey (in this case since we're talking about hockey) or have supported the team in tough times. The reason they're out now isn't a passion for hockey but a simply the chance to show support for a Boston team doing well. I have know problem with this fan. They might not be cheering the Bruins, but they're cheering Boston. That's great IMO.

The third type fan can be the annoying ones. They're the ones who simply join the party because it's the in-thing to do. They know nothing about the team or care to know anything. I'm not going to rip them. Hey, everyone likes to party and maybe we can pull them into being "real fans."

Just my take. I'm not judging, just describing how I see things.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It happens in all sports when a team wins. I'm a Patriots fan, and have been since I was a little kid. And while it does get slightly annoying sometimes to remember that I was the ONLY Pats fan in my college dorm in Vermont in 1991 (a dorm loaded with Boston kids), I'd much rather be in the here and now when there are tons of Pats fans than back in 91 when it was all Bills, Giants, Steelers and Cowboys. It makes gameday a lot more fun when there's a large bandwagon than a small one. So put up with the small irritations and some of the so-called "pink-hats". It's better for the team and fan base overall.
    Posted by Kennedy97

So now I know how you jumped on the Habs bandwagon . John Leclair. Wink

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Shupe, as an aside, you're not at Stad are you? And I agree with Evil, the bandwagon fans only bug me when they pretend to have expetise in the team. However, they have to start learning about them at some point, right?
    Posted by red75

nope, RCMP in Halifax

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Ah, yeah I figured when you mentioned working with your S/Sgt in Crosby's hometown, you either had to be with CFB Halifax, Stad or the RCMP, and I've had a lot of dealings with Stadacona in the past, so I was just curious.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Ah, yeah I figured when you mentioned working with your S/Sgt in Crosby's hometown, you either had to be with CFB Halifax, Stad or the RCMP, and I've had a lot of dealings with Stadacona in the past, so I was just curious.
    Posted by red75

Red,
    as you know I am an open book.  sometimes good, sometimes bad. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

hate to break to u diehards but its the casual fan that gets management to pen the checkbook. ask the sox what happened 2 years ago as they slid out of contention as theo called it a bridge year.even with thepats pre-2001. we like winners. too little time to chase every team win or lose. jacobs changed everything for he was a distant 4th and losing casual dollars to the big 3. now the big 3 will have to step up incl the celts. we dont put up with rebuilding in boston. we'll just go to the next guy! its a good thing!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

hate to break to u diehards but its the casual fan that gets management to pen the checkbook. ask the sox what happened 2 years ago as they slid out of contention as theo called it a bridge year.even with thepats pre-2001. we like winners. too little time to chase every team win or lose. jacobs changed everything for he was a distant 4th and losing casual dollars to the big 3. now the big 3 will have to step up incl the celts. we dont put up with rebuilding in boston. we'll just go to the next guy! its a good thing!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN

Good points.

In my descriptions above, casual fans are a subsets of Group 1 and Group 2. In group 1, they like hockey but aren't quite the disenchanted diehards that might have faded off a bit because of frustrationg.

Casual fans are the large part of Group 2 -- the fans that like to root for anything Boston when Boston is doing well.

There are all types of fans. Just because a fan isn't a 24-7-365 diehard, it doesn't make them a bad fan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

I'm a bandwagon fan, I always pulled for the Bruins but never really watched them.  I'm sorry if that bothers anyone but when the Sox won in '04 and their bandwagon started I welcomed everyone on board!  It is never too late to become a fan no matter what the reason.  I started loving the BoSox in 1975, I was a bandwagon fan too!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I don't hate fans who jumped on during the playoffs or in recent years. For those of us who have watched the bruins through the bad years of past and got to see the cup now the new commers didn't get the same kind of sastisfaction as we did.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I don't hate fans who jumped on during the playoffs or in recent years. For those of us who have watched the bruins through the bad years of past and got to see the cup now the new commers didn't get the same kind of sastisfaction as we did.
    Posted by LUCICmilan17

excellent post

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnTAlouette. Show JohnTAlouette's posts

I used to watch the Bruins to see Ray Bourque. The team usually wasn't going anywhere. I knew there would never be another d-man like him. I tend to be more of a fan of the players first. If the team does well, that's a bonus. When they lost to the Flyers, I wasn't devastated, b/c I felt the better team won. I didn't think it was that big of a deal for a team to win 4 in a row, as the B's have shown. That probably makes me a bandwagoner. With this group, I don't want to miss a game because they play so well as a team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

more bruins hats.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: Bandwagon Fans : So now I know how you jumped on the Habs bandwagon . John Leclair.
    Posted by BsLegion

That is actually part of it...my roommate is a St. Albans native who knew LeClair well enough that he'd sit down with us at Burlington bars when he came in.  I'd say he's a heck of a guy, but that's the awesome thing about hockey, MOST people who meet players say that about all of them. (And all of the guys I have ever met either as a fan or via my work in the QMJHL for 5 years fit that bill, too)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Bandwagon Fans:
    Great to see all fans at the Bruins parade but it gets really annoying when a lady behind is asking where Milar Lucic is and actually confused Tim Thomas for a photographer on the back up a pick up truck.  As a Bruins die hard, I actually enjoy that the majority of the people who are fans and attend games are knowledgeable and attend games to actually watch unlike the pink hats who attend Sox games.   Hockey is a little more than a niche in this area but I’m happy to still have the Bruins be behind the Sox, Pats and Celts.   Any other true fans have any stories of any bandwagon fans?
    Posted by bstn2k11

Last year, she wouldn't have known the difference between Lucic and Don del Negro.  Bring on the fans!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Bandwagon Fans : So now I know how you jumped on the Habs bandwagon . John Leclair.
    Posted by BsLegion

Ha what a retro thought, my teaching colleague and friend was a Canadien fan in the early 90s.  He and I were like the twin bandits of hockey at the school we taught at in NH.  Many of the students said they loved our competitive banter while at school.  Anyway, we both liked UVM, primarily because we could agree on something, ha.  He was a huge LeClair fan then and thereafter.  He was so bummed when LeClair was traded to Philly.  Now Thomas, I need to reconnect with my old colleague.  Off the topic yes, but thanks for the memory kick.  

Sections
Shortcuts