Baseball Juice Boys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Re: Baseball Juice Boys

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Have a Yeungling (Americas oldest Brewer) and get back to me.  It's Golden smooth happiness in a can/bottle.

The worst part is, its not even sold in Massachusetts :(

Davey, get some Gansett.  You'll be fine!

Gotta have a gansett!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Keiths!   is there alcohol in your water?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

What are the best Canadian beers?  At this risk of offending, I'll admit I don't know.

Depends what you like - for the large mass-market beer, La Fin Du Monde, Sleeman's Honey Brown and Sleeman's Cream Ale, Alexander Keith's, and (though it's not to my personal taste but I know people that greatly enjoy it) Moosehead. Labbatt 50 isn't bad for those that like cream ales.

But if you get away from the huge brand names like the ones above, Standard Lager from Manitoba or Okanagan Spring lager from BC if you like lighter fare.
    The best stout is probably Dieu Du Ciel Aphrodisiaque, I'm a big fan of the Granville Island Brewery in Vancouver, Big Rock brewery out of Calgary and Howe Sound brewery in Squamish BC. I like chocolate stout once in awhile so Flying Monkeys. I also like true IPAs so I'd suggest Black Oak's Ten Bitter Years.  Unibroue, which make La Fin Du Monde is pretty routinely recognized as the best quality brewery in the country, but only a small handful of its labels are available outside Quebec. Lately I've been drinking Old Jalopy, a pale ale bitter from out here in BC. Oh, and Maudite isn't bad either, but it's a once in a while beer for me - it's 8 per cent so not an every day beer for sure.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Keiths!   is there alcohol in your water?  

There are a lot of things in the water they use to make the Gansetts!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Davey, red, I haven't had many of the great craft beers I've heard about in the States, but before the craft beer era, I remember a friend in the infantry doing joint exercises with an American unit near Dundurn telling me that the Americans would trade just about anything for Exports and Old Stock because they thought they were half-way to heroin compared to Winstons and Pabst.

Comparing best to best, worst to worst, we did give them Bieber, Jepsen, Dion, Bryan Adams, and Alan Thicke (without whom...).  I'm pretty sure we added "don't feed them after midnight!" though.  In exchange, we get Little Wayne, Selena Gomez, and, incomprehensibly, the New Middle Aged Has-Beens On the Block. 

Neil, meet Bruce.  Oscar, meet Miles.  Steve Tyler, meet Geddy.  We do okay up here.  I don't know if Canada can match the breadth and depth of American music, though.  I mean, the conversation might go Janice/Joni; Prine...Ian and Sylvia?  Muddy Waters...Hawksley Workman?  I tend to prefer American novelists, too. 

My sense of Americans and the US is that there are a he77 of a lot of Americans I would sit with - around a fire in the bush, on a boat, in a club with oxblood wingback chairs and a pro-cigar policy - and talk about just about anything for hours.  I'd learn a lot.  I'd enjoy it.  I'd say a lot.  It would be a he77 of a good time. Great place.  Complicated history.  There are also a lot of Americans who believed Chuck Norris and that judge in Texas who though Obama was going to use his second term to bring in a UN Army and cede control of the US.  Makes me wonder about your political divisions, the state of your public education system, your debt.  Rulings from the courts in rural Quebec and northern Alberta give me the same pause.  In other words, "nationalism" isn't a very interesting idea any more.

Except during the Olympics.  Then you can all enjoy your silver and the delightful accoustic version of O' Canada.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Steve Tyler, meet Geddy.

Absolutely not the same.  Oh my.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

For those offended by my US rant i apologize.  NAS and I were having an exchange in fun.  Kinda like the ripping i take for wearing a red serge.  Its meant in fun and i take it that way.   But some dont.   And for that i apologize.  like i said i have family, friends and brothers n sisters in the US who do the same work as i do.   My dad lived and worked next to US navy.  im coming down in september to help a mbr of bpd by playing a charity hockey gm.   I got big love for my US cousins in the south.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fletch, red's list is good, but here's my two cents:

Keith's and Rickard's are the better tasting big boys.  Both make a few brews from a white wheat beer to a hoppy red.  Most aren't bad.  Good standard fare, but neither's the beer of choice if I have options.  For that type of beer, I like Quebec's Belle Gueulle, too.

Toronto's Mill Street brewery has a range from an organic ale to a stout and Belgian style wheat.  All good.  Muskoka's Mad Tom IPA is the hoppiest beer going.  Wellington County Dark Ale is a great bittersweet dark ale.  Big Rock out of Alberta has some fantastic stuff.  I still lived out there when they were starting up and some of their brews were actually better then.  Traditional Ale is excellent, but they also have McNally's Irish Ale which they used to label as "at least 7%" because it finished in the bottle.  Unlike Maudite, you could drink several of those because the extra alcohol wasn't as up front.  Creemore Springs is another that is less than it once was because they got in bed with Labatt's I think.  Still, not bad (first time I remember that story was Kokannee from BC - Albertans would smuggle it across the provincial border because it wasn't distributed in Alberta - which lost a lot when they upped production to satisfy a new distribution contract, then were annexed I thnk).  Beau's in eastern ontario makes a few really good beers including some seasonal bocks and porters. 

I'm probably missing a few.  Depends on what you like.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

For those offended by my US rant i apologize.  NAS and I were having an exchange in fun.  Kinda like the ripping i take for wearing a red serge.  Its meant in fun and i take it that way.   But some dont.   And for that i apologize.  like i said i have family, friends and brothers n sisters in the US who do the same work as i do.   My dad lived and worked next to US navy.  im coming down in september to help a mbr of bpd by playing a charity hockey gm.   I got big love for my US cousins in the south.  

No worries about this, Shupe.  People need to take a breath and relax. 

And have a Sam Adams.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fletch, red's list is good, but here's my two cents:

Keith's and Rickard's are the better tasting big boys.  Both make a few brews from a white wheat beer to a hoppy red.  Most aren't bad.  Good standard fare, but neither's the beer of choice if I have options.  For that type of beer, I like Quebec's Belle Gueulle, too.

Toronto's Mill Street brewery has a range from an organic ale to a stout and Belgian style wheat.  All good.  Muskoka's Mad Tom IPA is the hoppiest beer going.  Wellington County Dark Ale is a great bittersweet dark ale.  Big Rock out of Alberta has some fantastic stuff.  I still lived out there when they were starting up and some of their brews were actually better then.  Traditional Ale is excellent, but they also have McNally's Irish Ale which they used to label as "at least 7%" because it finished in the bottle.  Unlike Maudite, you could drink several of those because the extra alcohol wasn't as up front.  Creemore Springs is another that is less than it once was because they got in bed with Labatt's I think.  Still, not bad (first time I remember that story was Kokannee from BC - Albertans would smuggle it across the provincial border because it wasn't distributed in Alberta - which lost a lot when they upped production to satisfy a new distribution contract, then were annexed I thnk).  Beau's in eastern ontario makes a few really good beers including some seasonal bocks and porters. 

I'm probably missing a few.  Depends on what you like.

Book, just so you know they recently changed the recipe for Trad - not the same. I still love a lot of their other labels like Grasshopper, Warthog, McNally's, SAAZ and their Honey Brown, but Trad used to be my beer of choice. They've recently wrecked it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

No worries about this, Shupe.  People need to take a breath and relax. 

And have a Sam Adams.

You know, after being of drinking age in MA for almost a decade, i still have never done the Sam Adams brewery tour.  Im an idiot.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Book, just so you know they recently changed the recipe for Trad - not the same. I still love a lot of their other labels like Grasshopper, Warthog, McNally's, SAAZ and their Honey Brown, but Trad used to be my beer of choice. They've recently wrecked it.

Coors did that when the bought Killian's.

Tragic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

At the risk of offending worse than shupe did - I never really cared much for Aerosmith.  The comparison was mostly based on the fact that both Tyler and Lee will go up for some colour with "yeahs" and "whoa-oohs" - high energy, high pitch.  Other than that, I like to play some Joe Perry riffs just to learn them.

red - that's horrible news.  And how ironic: you built your brand on a beer called Traditional and now you've undermined your own tradition by changing formula?  Boo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

At the risk of offending worse than shupe did - I never really cared much for Aerosmith.  The comparison was mostly based on the fact that both Tyler and Lee will go up for some colour with "yeahs" and "whoa-oohs" - high energy, high pitch.  Other than that, I like to play some Joe Perry riffs just to learn them.

red - that's horrible news.  And how ironic: you built your brand on a beer called Traditional and now you've undermined your own tradition by changing formula?  Boo.

I hate Aerosmith.  You are in good company.  But I also hate Rush.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Davey - agreed.  Let's go have a Gansett's and a Mad Tom and not listen to either one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I hope nobody minds me trying to bring this back on topic...

Baseball is in the forefront right now trying to clean up their game, and rightfully so. The latest annoucements and suspensions pertaining to drug usage a year or more ago.

If anyone happened to notice that most of the recent offenders are from Latin America, where most of these players growing up in shacks and having to beg for food as kids...they saw an opportunity to make it rich and was willing to cheat to get to the MLB and get $millions.

The NFL is addressing their issues as well right now.

To me this raises the question for the hockey savants here...if athletes in other professional sports and Olympic athletes have been caught cheating, what makes you think that professional athletes from other sports, including NHL hockey are not involved with PEDs as well??

Does the NHL even test for this today?? The motive for all pro athletes being the same...to make it to the show and make millions of dollars that these sports provide?

I am not trying to indict hockey because I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but I also am a realist and can not see borderline hockey players not looking to get an edge somewhere along the line.

What irks me about PEDs users are the great athletes that end up using, like AROD, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Armstrong in biking, German Olympic team, etc when they are already legitimate pros and are using the PEDs to break records and/or play longer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Davey - agreed.  Let's go have a Gansett's and a Mad Tom and not listen to either one.

Count me in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Soxdog, this is my favourite comment on the baseball suspensions and the PEDs as it puts it into blunt human terms.

Dan Meyer @Dmy53 Hey Antonio Bastardo, remember when we competed for a job in 2011? Thx alot.  #ahole

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

At the risk of offending worse than shupe did - I never really cared much for Aerosmith.

They aren't bulletproof, but they have some full albums that carry any weight.

Toys in the Attic

Permanent Vacation

Pump

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Thanks for the list of best Canadian beers red and Book.  I don't think we get any of those here, which is a shame.

I'm a craft beer guy although I do like some bigger brewers too, like Sam, Guinness, Yuengling, Sierra Nevada, etc.

Lots of good craft brewers in Coloardo, like Oskar Blues, Odell, and New Belgium.  Great stuff.  Dale's Pale Ale is a favorite.

I like Harpoon a lot from my days living in Boston.  Anyown know what ever happened to Tremont Ale?

I also don't care for Aerosmith or Rush.  Never understood all the fuss.  They're okay.

shupe, it's cool.  I was enjoying the ribbing and back and forth, but I sure thought the specific post I referenced departed from that good natured stuff and crossed the line.  I don't know what would be funny about that.  I don't get offended easily -- even when you think I do, I am usually laughing while I type.  Lots of family and friends entangled in the affairs you were referencing, even the ones you and I might not support.   I appreciate the follow up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Baseball is in the forefront right now trying to clean up their game, and rightfully so. The latest annoucements and suspensions pertaining to drug usage a year or more ago.

They have been suspending people for 50 games since at least 2009.

It's not working.

They need to make it a lifetime ban.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

If anyone happened to notice that most of the recent offenders are from Latin America, where most of these players growing up in shacks and having to beg for food as kids...they saw an opportunity to make it rich and was willing to cheat to get to the MLB and get $millions.

The NFL is addressing their issues as well right now.

To me this raises the question for the hockey savants here...if athletes in other professional sports and Olympic athletes have been caught cheating, what makes you think that professional athletes from other sports, including NHL hockey are not involved with PEDs as well??

Does the NHL even test for this today?? The motive for all pro athletes being the same...to make it to the show and make millions of dollars that these sports provide?

I am not trying to indict hockey because I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but I also am a realist and can not see borderline hockey players not looking to get an edge somewhere along the line.

What irks me about PEDs users are the great athletes that end up using, like AROD, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Armstrong in biking, German Olympic team, etc when they are already legitimate pros and are using the PEDs to break records and/or play longer.

To be blunt.  Yes.  They do test.  Especially with the olympics.  andrew peters admitted using roids but he was a meat head.   Im sure there are some but the tops in our sport have been to many olympics and have been clean.  hockey players are the fittest of any team sport in my opinion.  Their off season training is pretty intense.  I mean look at fat for example.  :-)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I have never been an aerosmith fan either.   Pearl Jam....Eddie.  Well i have mad love for them.  Along with bruce.   On a canadian side of things i cant stand Rush.   Yet they have a mad cult following.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Never got into either Aerosmith or Rush, especially Rush. I cannot understand the love affair up here for this band. I listen to CBC radio, and it seems Jian Gomeshi never misses an opportunity to express his undying love for Geddy Lee. I've never got it - then again I grew up listening to the likes of of DOA, SNFU, and Teenage Head from Canada, and the Ramones, Violent Femmes and Joan Jett from the States (not to mention the Pistols, Clash and Monks from the UK) so obviously my tastes never really meshed with Rush's or Aerosmith's styles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

They have been suspending people for 50 games since at least 2009.

It's not working.

They need to make it a lifetime ban.

Consider that it is down to 1% of the league now means something is working...but you hear more 'clean' players coming out and saying the suspensions should be longer.

If they want to clean this for good, a one year suspension should apply for those caught, in all sports. I don't agree with the aspect of a lifetime ban since that takes away a person's livelihood. Maybe for multiple offenders that should apply.

Sections
Shortcuts