Baseball Juice Boys

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Baseball Juice Boys

Soxdog, what about the liveliehoods that the cheaters took away from other players? Like I posted above Dan Meyer and Antonio Bastardo went head to head for a job. Meyer pitched clean and Bastardo doped - Bastardo got the job. So if the cheaters are taking away someone else's livlihood, isn't there an argument to be made for "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

red - we must have a lot of the same albums.  Had two copies of Something Better Change because I lent it out to a friend who lost it, then gave it back two years later.  Saw SNFU at the Nash a few times.  Add the Dead Kennedys to the list.  I suppose I wasn't hardcore as much as I like the music, though - I still liked 60s and 70s rock and a friend who was insanely obsessed with Dizzy Gillespie convinced me to like all sorts of experimental jazz stuff too.

Are you not entertained?!?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Soxdog, what about the liveliehoods that the cheaters took away from other players? Like I posted above Dan Meyer and Antonio Bastardo went head to head for a job. Meyer pitched clean and Bastardo doped - Bastardo got the job. So if the cheaters are taking away someone else's livlihood, isn't there an argument to be made for "what's good for the goose is good for the gander"?

Yes red, I see your point there...and I really have no argument to provide. In no way do I want to imply any defense for the cheaters...if lifetime ban was voted by the players union then that's what they should do.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

You're right about how vocal other players are now, SoxDog.  That seems to be a sign of change.  Before, players were very cautious and you didn't know if it was solidarity or fear of looking like a fool if they got caught.  Now?  Both barrells.

I've never bought the pro athlete is losing his livelihood if he can't play pro, especially if it's because of something that violates the professional code of conduct.  If a lawyer breaks the rules and is disbarred, no one complains the lawyer lost his livelihood.  A teacher who can't pass police checks loses his or her job - no one complains about their livelihood.  A baseball player who cheats and is then banned for life has not lost his livelihood - he can find another job, just not one that pays multiple millions of dollars to support his drug habit. 

The comparison to teachers or lawyers suggests that SoxDog's right - it'll be up to the union to decide what that professional code is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

Consider that it is down to 1% of the league now means something is working...but you hear more 'clean' players coming out and saying the suspensions should be longer.

If they want to clean this for good, a one year suspension should apply for those caught, in all sports. I don't agree with the aspect of a lifetime ban since that takes away a person's livelihood. Maybe for multiple offenders that should apply.

They just suspended 13 guys for 50 games or more, including two former MVPs.  The percentage is irrelevant.  That's a ton of cheating.

If the consequences are clear, what's the problem?  Use roids and get booted forever.  If someone loses his livelihood, that's his own issue.  He's not getting put to death, just banned from playing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

can u care to elaborate? idle hands are the devil's workshop

Do you mean summarize in one syllable words that you can understand?

Nah.  TL:DR

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This is great reading. Gotta say, Shupe holding his own here. Bryan Adams, though never a fan and his most popular song was sung better by Stewie, he made some good money. I remember a while back there was a rumor he was dead.

There is no way NAS is not an Alanis fan, I bet he has the CD and song on while driving his date to the movies.

Molson Canadian is my favorite beer. Nothing goes down smoother on a hot day, though I swear it taste better up there...I'm going to go out on a limb and say Larry Walker gotr out of the game just in time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

There is no way NAS is not an Alanis fan, I bet he has the CD and song on while driving his date to the movies.

Jagged Little Pill is a good album.  It has it's share of junk, but overall it's better than tolerable.

And yeah, Alanis-style is the only way to see a movie.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

red - we must have a lot of the same albums.  Had two copies of Something Better Change because I lent it out to a friend who lost it, then gave it back two years later.  Saw SNFU at the Nash a few times.  Add the Dead Kennedys to the list.  I suppose I wasn't hardcore as much as I like the music, though - I still liked 60s and 70s rock and a friend who was insanely obsessed with Dizzy Gillespie convinced me to like all sorts of experimental jazz stuff too.

If you don't have "Quebec" by Ween then your collection is missing the best rock album of the last 20 years.

Oh yeah, Moosehead beer is awesome. It's won gold at the World Beer Cup.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I misssed the Kennedys, definitely on that list for me. And like you, while I grew up on punk, I ended up with a lot of mixed tastes as well, including Dizzy (got to see him at Rainbow stage in Winnipeg when I was a kid) as well as Blues, R&B and David Bowie.

Also in the circles I run, in the 90's Alannis was inescapable - a lot of her songs grew on me and I do really like a few, but I also got pretty sick of her just due to overplay. Same reason I absolutely can't stand Sarah Mclachlan or Fiona Apple anymore.

And Fletch, I'm heading to the States on the weekend - I'll keep an eye open for any of your suggestions. Funny about the States - I can buy a case of Keith's in Washington State for less than I can in Vancouver, even though in Washington it's an import. Drives me nuts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"Also in the circles I run,..."

Why does this feel like a euphemism for something?

Well, just to be sure I'm getting it...did you miss Indigo Girls on that list?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

How about I just expand it to the entire Lilith Fair lineup

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, got it.  United SteelWorkers District 3 Burnaby office it is.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Okay, got it.  United SteelWorkers District 3 Burnaby office it is.

Ok... I actually snorted iced tea up my nose when I read that.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Anyone have any suggestions for good beers that would likely be available in Washington State? Checked to see if the beer store I'll be by stocks any of Fletch's suggestions and it doesn't look like it. Actually because they're a border town, they seem to carry a whack of Canadian imports.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How about I just expand it to the entire Lilith Fair lineup

Oh boy.  I got dragged to one of these once.  I have never felt so out of place in my life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Anyone have any suggestions for good beers that would likely be available in Washington State? Checked to see if the beer store I'll be by stocks any of Fletch's suggestions and it doesn't look like it. Actually because they're a border town, they seem to carry a whack of Canadian imports.

Hmmm, off the top of my head, some good west coast/northwest beers that come to mind are Anchor Steam, Deschutes, Full Sail, and I like just about any of the Rogue Ales from Oregon.  

I'm partial to ales mainly, although I've never gotten into the Belgian thing or the light stuff.  Pale ales and IPAs for me.  Stouts and porters too, but less often.  Good luck.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Red, I would agree with you that Canadian beer is better however it is not before the early 90s. Now you don't even have to leave Cali, Oregon, Colorado or Washington State to give Canada a run for the money in great tasting beer. The early 90s Microwbrewery explosion in America has finally produced some great brews.

Stone, AnchorSteam, Sierra Nevada etc...the US caught up.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Thanks Fletch, I'll take a look for them, and let ya know what I find.

And NAS, the idea of you at Lilith Fair... I don't know if I should laugh or cry. If I felt out of place at one of those shows, I couldn't imagine what it'd be like for you. That seems like the last place on earth you'd fit in.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

I hope nobody minds me trying to bring this back on topic...

Baseball is in the forefront right now trying to clean up their game, and rightfully so. The latest annoucements and suspensions pertaining to drug usage a year or more ago.

If anyone happened to notice that most of the recent offenders are from Latin America, where most of these players growing up in shacks and having to beg for food as kids...they saw an opportunity to make it rich and was willing to cheat to get to the MLB and get $millions.

The NFL is addressing their issues as well right now.

To me this raises the question for the hockey savants here...if athletes in other professional sports and Olympic athletes have been caught cheating, what makes you think that professional athletes from other sports, including NHL hockey are not involved with PEDs as well??

Does the NHL even test for this today?? The motive for all pro athletes being the same...to make it to the show and make millions of dollars that these sports provide?

I am not trying to indict hockey because I enjoy the game as much as anyone, but I also am a realist and can not see borderline hockey players not looking to get an edge somewhere along the line.

What irks me about PEDs users are the great athletes that end up using, like AROD, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Armstrong in biking, German Olympic team, etc when they are already legitimate pros and are using the PEDs to break records and/or play longer.

Good points. To me, Clemens was done. So was McGwire. He was a low .200 hitter. Bonds just got jealous of the attention Sosa,McGwire and Bagwell were getting since he had more talent in his right arm than the three of them combined. He wanted the homeruns.

Armstrong is the biggest fraud of all of them. I dont even consider him an athlete, and ESPN loved giving him the male athlete of the year award every chance they got.

A good friend of mine who is in pharmacutical stuff (I have no idea) told me you'll never see much if any PED's and steroids in the game of hockey due to a concern of the heart-rate. Said this was a big concern with Armstrong but he had the best in the world make stuff for him that wouldnt have him drop dead.He also said the stuff was extemely hard to detect.  He said baseball and football are ripe with it since they only move so fast for so long. H ementioned the "greenies" that players used to use, like sudafed and stuff but said they were no more effective than a Red Bull or two and if the energy drinks were out then, there would have no use of them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Thanks Fletch, I'll take a look for them, and let ya know what I find.

And NAS, the idea of you at Lilith Fair... I don't know if I should laugh or cry. If I felt out of place at one of those shows, I couldn't imagine what it'd be like for you. That seems like the last place on earth you'd fit in.

All for the girl...  I earned huge points and eliminated "are we really going to another game" objections for a very long time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

The good old american past time.   

thank god for canadian hockey. B

How about all those hockey enforcers dying very young with all kinds of addiction problems. Yup there's that good old Canadian past time, hockey.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts