BDC - are you people high?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

BDC - are you people high?

This is a banned word?

Seriously?

You people are out of your flippin minds.  Get serious.

You people were WAY overboard on banned words, but this takes it to a whole new level.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: BDC - are you people high?

When I've taken polls of the posters on here it's rare to find someone under 30, most are over 40.  

And they ban curse words?  I can get my head around that, but words like "suck" and "asss" ?

Get over it for Christ sake.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

S.H.O.O.T.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Can anyone explain this to me?

You can find pictures and movies of any kind of human debauchery on the internet, but these guys have to make sure they keep their forums clean of any words that might even infer something vagely sexually explicit?

Who's offended by this?

What readership do they they lose if these banned words were allowed?

Or how about about the very least have their very own articles adhere to the rules they apply in the forums?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've got a thread going over in the Talk to BDC forum. Some over zealous programmer has banned every single word that starts in S H and ends in T. S H R E V E P O R T is even banned. Hopefully they fix it because it  seems like just a programming problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

S.H.O.O.T.

Maybe it's a Hernandez thing....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

slapshot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I've got a thread going over in the Talk to BDC forum. Some over zealous programmer has banned every single word that starts in S H and ends in T. S H R E V E P O R T is even banned. Hopefully they fix it because it  seems like just a programming problem.

But what's the point of banning words?

A newspaper in one of the most liberal areas of the country is worried about mentioning fecal matter?

Why?

Their 13 and under audience sure as shiite aren't paying customers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Quite the swing the other way.  When BDC revamped their look and format a while ago f-bombs were getting through. Weren't some even in thread titles?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

A newspaper in one of the most liberal areas of the country is worried about mentioning fecal matter?

Why?

Not sure, but since it's the net it's not just in one of the most liberal areas of the country, it's everywhere. A few states have passed laws (they have not been tested by the US Supreme Court yet) that include profanity rules for online publications and could lead to a site being blocked in certain states (I think they include North Dakota and Wyoming, but I'm not certain) It could be an attempt to make BDC available nation-wide. And btw, I think profanity laws are assinine and are an affront to your constitution. I'm just trying to figure out a possible reasoning behind such censorship.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Breathe.

It's clearly an error.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

Quite the swing the other way.  When BDC revamped their look and format a while ago f-bombs were getting through. Weren't some even in thread titles?  

You're right.

An "Old Fartt with a swimming pool/slush rink " and myself had back to back F-bomb posts. They both got through.

Mine was reported by a snitch ( think of something that barks ) and deleted while his stayed . 

P.S. man-made gas is also unsuitable for bdc

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Calm yourselves. BDC will correct it eventually. Does anyone really think it's their intent to ban perfectly appropriate words like s/hoot, etc.?

Or, perhaps the Globe has outsourced the BDC programming to Colorado in which case it could very well be that they are stoned out of their skulls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Why?

You answered your own question

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to cowboys9's comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:

S.H.O.O.T.

Maybe it's a Hernandez thing....

See, that's where I went with it.  I could see some internet tough guy threatening to use a gun on someone, and that sending enough people into a tizzy that they banned the word.  red's programmer is a more likely explanation, though.  Open and s-hut.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Breathe.

It's clearly an error.

It's the thought that counts.

As time goes on the list of banned words increases and makes it more difficult to express yourself exactly the way you want.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The problem with censorship, is that more than a definition of what's socially acceptable, it's as fickle, and shallow as pop culture.  Some term or word is always morphing into the censors crosshairs(while another is scratched off). 

Impossible to keep up to...and a waste of time.

I think most would be surprised at the volume of banned words, as well as those that aren't.   Banned words aren't a mistake.  Someone had to conciously decide acceptability.

I can't decide what's worse.  Censorship, or the misguided philosophy that everyone has a right to somehow dictate what is, or isn't socially acceptable. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

At a minimum it's been 2 days since the problem arrived and it hasn't been fixed yet.

Instead of that banned word, maybe we can say instead

Gentleman's jelly

Happy sauce

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Since it relevant, I thought I would mention...

A friend of mine had a dog - a Shitzu.

He bred it with a bull dog and then they got bullshits.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

At a minimum it's been 2 days since the problem arrived and it hasn't been fixed yet.

There was a suggestion for you to breathe because it clearly was an error.

After 2 days, you must be winded.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

There was a suggestion for you to breathe because it clearly was an error.

After 2 days, you must be winded.

So you're agreeing with NAS?

O how the mighty have fallen.

Hey, catch any good box scores lately?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

---------

Hardly. 

Read again........this time with your sarcasm button turned on.

And yes I do look at stats. Getting a patent on them so I can look at prospects though is not my thing. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

---------

Hardly. 

Read again........this time with your sarcasm button turned on.

And yes I do look at stats. Getting a patent on them so I can look at prospects though is not my thing. 

Oh. OK.

Did you know that stats can say a lot about a prospect?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Did you know that stats can say a lot about a prospect?

[/QUOTE] 

I agree.

Let's put a name to that type of thinking . 

The Kirill Kabanov syndrome.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

all words staring in "S H" are banned.  use the $ for S I guess

LOL even just S H together doesn't work

Sections
Shortcuts