Bears rumour

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkandGoldMatter. Show DarkandGoldMatter's posts

Re: Bears rumour

Winnipeg has a "Bring back the Jets" campaign going on. Can't see them calling their team The Polar Bears. Reminds me of The Mighty Ducks with a lot less cheese. 

What are your thoughts about a city receiving an expansion team that has a legit chance to challenge for the cup as soon as they set up shop. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bears rumour:
    [QUOTE]I liked the Jets. This is really really weird, but when the Sharks and Jets play I expect music and dancing.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

And another weird  thing about Sharks and Jets games, I stop thinking of them as being in the western conference, for some reason I start calling it "The West Side".  And it's more like a story and not a game.

For some reason the story happens in NYC at (Madison Sq. Garden).

Is there someone who plays for the Jets named "Maria"?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I actually think the Polar Bears is kind of cool.  That said, going with the Jets would be cool too.  I would just love to see another team with some true home ice character and atmosphere.  A shame for the 6 or 7 thousand true hockey fans in Arizona, but good for the league.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

[QUOTE]This what to expect during a recessions companies/owners will sell assets/companies, before losing their shirt. We can see this happening with Canadian dollar at par is the time to buy the hockey teams it's called business. I can't see a team going to Hamilton but moving to Quebec and Winnipeg is a more logical move. For the people who don't know Canadian Football League the richest team is the Saskatchewan Roughriders. The Roughrider fans are very loyal to their team but do not have the facility to have a hockey team to move there. If the Saskatchewan had the provincial support to help build a sports facility for hockey, I can see a professional hockey team getting pretty popular in that province. The rival will be very similar to the western teams in the CFL league. ( Vancouver,Edmonton,Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatchewan ).Me personally would like to see these five NHL teams competing with one another. Maybe a poster from the Saskatchewan area can elaborate more on this but I read that the government deny to help with finance to rebuild a dome in Saskatchewan for their football team.
    Posted by boborielly224[/QUOTE]

I'm from Saskatchewan and yes the Riders are extremely popular in every square centimeter of the province.  I live 4 hours from Regina and there are busloads that go to every game.  I'm sure it would be the same for a hockey team but I can't see the NHL coming here.  There are only 1 million people in the whole province. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I have no problem if Winnipeg names the team Bears. After all they actually have Bears there. How many baby Bears you see roaming the state of Mass, never mind Boston?
    The only bear here is Sam Adams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stanjonathan17. Show stanjonathan17's posts

Quebec City doen't have an arena that meets current NHL standards.  Winnipeg is ready to go, with an ownership group with deep pockets.

They have to come back as the Jets though...too much history to ignore (Hull, Hedberg, Nilson, Hawerchuck, Selanne...).

[QUOTE]I think a return of the Nordiques in Quebec is more likely. Folks there have been very vocal about getting a team back, and the Canadian dollar is a lot stronger than it was in the 80's.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Winnipeg has a "Bring back the Jets" campaign going on. Can't see them calling their team The Polar Bears. Reminds me of The Mighty Ducks with a lot less cheese.  What are your thoughts about a city receiving an expansion team that has a legit chance to challenge for the cup as soon as they set up shop. 
    Posted by Dark&GoldMatter[/QUOTE]

Nordiques became Avalanche in 95, cup in 96, the same hockey season, first cup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem if Winnipeg names the team Bears. After all they actually have Bears there. How many baby Bears you see roaming the state of Mass, never mind Boston? The only bear here is Sam Adams.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Plenty of bears in the state, although most are in western Mass.
    http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/recreation/hunting/bear/bear_hunting_home.htm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

And I stand corrected. Still have no issue if Winnipeg names it the Bears. they play ouit West, no big deal.  I do like the Polar Bears, disagree with the Mighty Ducks statement because there are actually Polar Bears, no matter what Al Gore says.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]And I stand corrected. Still have no issue if Winnipeg names it the Bears. they play ouit West, no big deal.  I do like the Polar Bears, disagree with the Mighty Ducks statement because there are actually Polar Bears, no matter what Al Gore says.

are you saying a duck can't be mighty? there are a few in the river by my house i wouldn't mess with.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

We got 'em. :)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/are-winnipegs-nhl-prayers-about-to-be-answered/article1931713/comments/

A buddy with TNSE just said the announcement is supposed to be tomorrow, and Bettman has allegedly been spotted in the Peg (stopped by cops last night at a routine checkstop).

We got 'em :) Oh my fn god....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DarkandGoldMatter. Show DarkandGoldMatter's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem if Winnipeg names the team Bears. After all they actually have Bears there. How many baby Bears you see roaming the state of Mass, never mind Boston? The only bear here is Sam Adams.

Polar Bears are found in Churchill, Manitoba an 1100 mi/1700km Train ride from Winnipeg. App a 2 day trip. While in the same province as Winnipeg I bet the Bruins in Boston are a lot closer. All of this is of course irrelevant as the main point stays the same. The Winnipeg Polar Bears are playing the .....................just sounds wrong! Maybe it's just a Canadian/nostalgic thing for me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from blueoxen. Show blueoxen's posts

[QUOTE]HUH? Id give anything to go back to the Quebec, Hartford, Winnipeg, Minnesota days but guess what?! Bettman & Jacobs are thick as thieves so forget about it
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup[/QUOTE]

You do know that Minnesota has a team? Correct?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from macdogcharm. Show macdogcharm's posts

there is NO...I repeat NO...announcement coming re. Winnipeg getting a franchise back. I'd like to see it...but this whole thread is fiction. Pure fiction. waste of everyone's time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

The Phoenix situation is not going to be decided in a week. It is going to take some time with all the lawsuits being filed and after that, there will likely be appeals. So, this could drag out for some time. Phoenix may eventually move, but it isn't happening quickly

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]The Phoenix situation is not going to be decided in a week. It is going to take some time with all the lawsuits being filed and after that, there will likely be appeals. So, this could drag out for some time. Phoenix may eventually move, but it isn't happening quickly
    Posted by lordy4[/QUOTE]

The NHL won't wait another season at $40 million losses. The official announcement happens this week. Trust me, it is now a done deal. Just waiting for the t's to be crossed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]there is NO...I repeat NO...announcement coming re. Winnipeg getting a franchise back. I'd like to see it...but this whole thread is fiction. Pure fiction. waste of everyone's time.
    Posted by macdogcharm[/QUOTE]

PM me your info... I'll put $1000 (Canadian, it's worth more right now) on that call. They'll be there by the start of the 2011/2012 season. Deal?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bears rumour : PM me your info... I'll put $1000 (Canadian, it's worth more right now) on that call. They'll be there by the start of the 2011/2012 season. Deal?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Congrats Red, it is looking more and more likely ATL is on the move to the Peg. Please keep the name "Jets" though. It is like SPAM, a classic moniker. I bet there are some owners pissed they are not going to get their expansion fees when this happens...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

[QUOTE]I liked the Jets. This is really really weird, but when the Sharks and Jets play I expect music and dancing.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]Hahaha, thanks for the chuckle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

Even McKenzie and Dreger are writing articles on the TSN website about a possible move of Phoenix/Atlanta back to Winnipeg.