Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

the only thing i'll judge is what Corvo does on the ice....

all i care about is if he can help the B'S on the pp....

welcome to the Stanley Cup Champs, Joe!....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Red, to be very clear, I am dead-set against violence brought upon anyone that is undeserving(Matt Cooke is a clear exception). His debt to society may have been paid but, if allegations are true, he'll never gain my respect from a fan's perspective. Guys that do that sort of thing need to be punched hard and often.
    Posted by dezaruchi

They are, at least so far as the judicial and penal systems are concerned. Corvo plead guilty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : They are, at least so far as the judicial and penal systems are concerned. Corvo plead guilty.
    Posted by red75

I'm with Nas on this one then. I don't care how he performs. I won't like having him on the team. There are some crimes I'd be far more forgiving about. This isn't one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

ok people relax. this happened in 03 correct. Hopefully he learned from it and changed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Don't even start with this crap. You know who I'm against? Women who make false  rape allegations in order to cash in. The minute Ben is convicted of a crime, I'll start treating him like a criminal. Until then, he's like any other person....innocent until proven guilty. During the interview, Ben's accuser describes how she met Ben -- and even claimed, "He seemed like a nice guy at first." The accuser then explains how Ben allegedly whipped out his peenis, followed her into a nightclub restroom and raped her. During the statement, the accuser tells the officer that she can't remember specifics from the alleged rape -- only that it "happened so fast." Ben Roethlisberger had his arm around his accuser before the alleged assault ... and she had a big grin as she wrapped her arms around him. No doubt Ben's lawyer -- rightly or wrongly -- will make hay of this. We now know the accuser's identity -- we will not post the picture in this story. A photo of the two taken at Capital City bar in Milledgeville, Georgia shortly before the alleged incident shows a cozy scene -- at least at that moment in time. Of course, a photo never tells the whole story, and the mood could have darkened in an instant. Police sources tell TMZ the woman claims Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in the women's bathroom. And, other women in the bar also posed for photos with Roethlisberger before the alleged incident. So we're to believe that Ben pulled out his wang and followed her into the bathroom and raped her( that's her story BTW). How was he supposed to know whether or not the bathroom was empty first or did he really not care? Look, I'd find her story more believable had criminal charges been filed. As it is, civil charges brought against a celebrity doesn't equate to guilt with me.  
    Posted by dezaruchi

Ben is notorious at Miami Ohio for being a sketchy/probable rapist, ask around. He's had multiple rape allegations, yet continues to find himself around intoxicated minors. Unfortunately, since everyone was drunk during his most recent rape allegation, the testimonies were not admissible in court. The bar manager conveneiently erased the tapes.

I recognize a guy like Kobe, who doesn't have a history, could be telling the truth about what went on in that colorado room, however, when he's got a history of this type of behavior, he's guilty in my book.

Whatever.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Ben is notorious at Miami Ohio for being a sketchy/probable rapist, ask around. He's had multiple rape allegations, yet continues to find himself around intoxicated minors. Unfortunately, since everyone was drunk during his most recent rape allegation, the testimonies were not admissible in court. The bar manager conveneiently erased the tapes. I recognize a guy like Kobe, who doesn't have a history, could be telling the truth about what went on in that colorado room, however, when he's got a history of this type of behavior, he's guilty in my book. Whatever.
    Posted by Olsonicator

Hopefully we can till be friends even though I strongly disagree with your stance on this one. Cheers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I'm not Joe Corvo, nor do I know what was going on in his head when he committed that sickening crime.  I do know that he should consider himself very, very lucky that he only received a  suspended sentence and a "slap on the wrist" 3-game suspension. 

As he is returning to the "scene of the crime", so to speak, and should try to make things (somewhat) right with this city, I think he should stand up at his first opportunity with the Boston media, flat out apologize for the act (the good old "I was young, stupid, and there were a lot of bad things going through my head at the time" usually works), and state that he's giving $100,000 (or more) to women's shelters in Boston.  That would send a message that he's (outwardly, at least) reformed, and is sincere about his approach towards women, and his thoughts about assaulting women.  Whether people buy it, is another thing, but it's an olive branch, at least.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Awry. Show Awry's posts

This might be considered a 'goocher'...what your beatnik friends call; 'bad kar-ma'.
    Makes you wonder if Chiarelli did his due diligence on this one.
    I mean, c'mon Pete, you've just won the Cup and then you bring a guy like this into the Dressing Room? What gives? Were things just going too well? It's not like he's even that great. This makes no sense.
     And it could get worse.
    This could be really divisive, toxic even, all these present Bruins have wives and girlfriends... daughters...

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Geez.
    Nice one, Pete.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I hope he gets driven out of town without playing for us.  I don't enjoy rooting for guys like this.  It's not all X's and O's it's better to put forth guys you believe in.  If he truly has changed then good for him, but I think I'd prefer yhe Bruins didn't have them. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : I'm on my high horse because I don't agree with the team signing a guy who beat a woman? What does a player have to do in your world to "go too far"?  Murder?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Speaking of -- With all seriousness -- Your thoughts on one Craig MacTavish.

ALSO -- Thanks for the advice on my Boston visit with my daughters after the parade. Made a major donation at the Gardan Pro Shop then hit your suggested watering holes on Canal Street. We had a blast walking the city from end to end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I read the piece NAS, now I am one who walked across a parking lot once to confront a man  loudly berating his wife and almost getting into to civil brawl as a result.  My family history is full of this crap, but guess what, I did not raise my daughters to accept that craap. Any other commentary requires more information, details, and modern approaches to thinking on human relationships.  I will go with the management decision despite the represehinsible behavior of the past.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wesman. Show wesman's posts

Yeah, this really sends a ripple across the current of good vibes. Is the upside really worth the fallout?  Like it or not, he will be under a microscope, especially since he's joining the Stanley Cup champs--and he's returning, literally, to the scene of the crime.  If he or the team slumps, or if he makes another bad decision off the ice, etc., it could get pretty hostile for him (think slumping Wideman situation, but nastier and far more personal). 

Not cool if the Bruins try to tuck this under the radar.  I truly hope he's turned his life around, but I can also hope Kampfer picks up his game enough to make this transaction irrelevent. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lordy4. Show lordy4's posts

Come on people. Get over yourselves. This was a one time incident, 8 years ago. It isn't like it has happened over and over again since then. He made a mistake. I don't agree with what he did, but he has obviously learned from it. I get annoyed at people who are all high and mighty. We all make mistakes. Some are worse than other, but it is how we react after those mistakes. He has been a good soldier for 8 years with no more incidents. I prefer to give people 2nd chances. Personally, I think it is a good pick up at a good price.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Craig MacTavish was convicted of vehicular HOMICIDE.....has he not been forgiven????
    This was a terribly stupid thing Corvo did "almost a decade ago"

Some of you people need to quit living in the past....leave that for hab fans.

Welcome to the Bruins Joe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Red, to be very clear, I am dead-set against violence brought upon anyone that is undeserving(Matt Cooke is a clear exception). His debt to society may have been paid but, if allegations are true, he'll never gain my respect from a fan's perspective. Guys that do that sort of thing need to be punched hard and often.
    Posted by dezaruchi

How do you know the person he did it to didnt deserve it?

Here is my problem with passing judgements like this.  You usually only hear one side of the story, sometimes two, but RARELY do we hear the truth in its entirety.

By no means do I condone what he did in any way, shape or form, but you just never know what was going on in both parties heads, what words might have been exchanged or either persons mental capacities at said time.

He has a permanent mark on him and he'll be forever judged by many people who really dont know what happened.

Ive been in many, MANY fights in my life.  At the time most seemed justified.  Looking back, I dont really remember what most were about. 

Add alcohol and personal problems to obnoxious behaviors and you have a breeding ground for trouble.

So, when people say "Guys that do that sort of thing need to be punched hard and often" might want to think about what theyre saying.  I beat up the school bully in 11th grade.  Had enough of his crap with picking on smaller, weaker kids who would fight back.  I never had an issue with this kid EVER, and at one point in time earlier we had been friends.  Well guess what:  After I put a whooping on him he didnt come to school for 6 months.  Turns out his father beat the living hell out of him, putting him in the hospital for quite some time.  His dad did a few years over it.  All because his kid got beat up and he had to come to school and pick him up and was ashamed of him.  Maybe it was better in the long run for all of them, maybe worse.  They were REALLY poor and in and out of state custody afterwards.  There isnt a day that goes by when I wonder what might of happened BOTH ways had I not beat him up.

You NEVER know whats going on in other peoples lives, LET ALONE their minds, so dont pretend to.  People who do come off as more ignorant than those who learn and grow from their mistakes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I read the piece NAS, now I am one who walked across a parking lot once to confront a man  loudly berating his wife and almost getting into to civil brawl as a result.  My family history is full of this crap, but guess what, I did not raise my daughters to accept that craap. Any other commentary requires more information, details, and modern approaches to thinking on human relationships.  I will go with the management decision despite the represehinsible behavior of the past.  
    Posted by islamorada

Well said...

1) We are all on the same page with the battered women issue so let's just go with opinions from here on out.  It's not like anyone is going to say "I love to beat women."

2) PC knows Joe Corvo better than any of us do and probably will so I trust his judgement over ours.

3) NAS et all, if you are so against him playing for the B's, then don't watch the games this year.

I for one, will be happy as a clam when he scores a goal or gets a helper because you can't change the past, he now plays for my favorite team, and I'm not a fan of judging people that I don't know.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Well said... 1) We are all on the same page with the battered women issue so let's just go with opinions from here on out.  It's not like anyone is going to say "I love to beat women." 2) PC knows Joe Corvo better than any of us do and probably will so I trust his judgement over ours. 3) NAS et all, if you are so against him playing for the B's, then don't watch the games this year. I for one, will be happy as a clam when he scores a goal or gets a helper because you can't change the past, he now plays for my favorite team, and I'm not a fan of judging people that I don't know.
    Posted by mannyortez3424

Like I said, I'm generally with you as I believe that at least some criminals (and yes that is what he is as he was convicted) do genuinely reform and I have heard nothing about him having issues with recidivism. I'll likely still cheer for him when he nets a goal.

I just don't think I personally would have hired him - and if he does show any recidivist tendencies he should be fired on the spot (can you fire a player for just cause in the NHL?).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : How do you know the person he did it to didnt deserve it? Here is my problem with passing judgements like this.  You usually only hear one side of the story, sometimes two, but RARELY do we hear the truth in its entirety. By no means do I condone what he did in any way, shape or form, but you just never know what was going on in both parties heads, what words might have been exchanged or either persons mental capacities at said time. He has a permanent mark on him and he'll be forever judged by many people who really dont know what happened. Ive been in many, MANY fights in my life.  At the time most seemed justified.  Looking back, I dont really remember what most were about.  Add alcohol and personal problems to obnoxious behaviors and you have a breeding ground for trouble. So, when people say "Guys that do that sort of thing need to be punched hard and often" might want to think about what theyre saying.  I beat up the school bully in 11th grade.  Had enough of his crap with picking on smaller, weaker kids who would fight back.  I never had an issue with this kid EVER, and at one point in time earlier we had been friends.  Well guess what:  After I put a whooping on him he didnt come to school for 6 months.  Turns out his father beat the living hell out of him, putting him in the hospital for quite some time.  His dad did a few years over it.  All because his kid got beat up and he had to come to school and pick him up and was ashamed of him.  Maybe it was better in the long run for all of them, maybe worse.  They were REALLY poor and in and out of state custody afterwards.  There isnt a day that goes by when I wonder what might of happened BOTH ways had I not beat him up. You NEVER know whats going on in other peoples lives, LET ALONE their minds, so dont pretend to.  People who do come off as more ignorant than those who learn and grow from their mistakes.
    Posted by bigvig

What???????? I'm having trouble imagining a situation in which this woman could deserve a hostile attack for which Corvo plead guilty. I'm well aware that people make mistakes and that I've no idea what was going on in their heads during the incident but if being less forgiving than you somehow paints me as ignorant than so be it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Like I said, I'm generally with you as I believe that at least some criminals (and yes that is what he is as he was convicted) do genuinely reform and I have heard nothing about him having issues with recidivism. I'll likely still cheer for him when he nets a goal. I just don't think I personally would have hired him - and if he does show any recidivist tendencies he should be fired on the spot (can you fire a player for just cause in the NHL?).
    Posted by red75

Fair enough, Red...

And if we hear of any recidivism, I'll be the first guy to go knock him out haha...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    http://www.monarchsfanclub.com/corvo.htm Zero respect for this man.  I'm disgusted that the B's management would even consider bringing him to town.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Not to worry NAS, things aren't as bad as they may appear.  The reason the Corvo conviction was never a particularly big deal?  The untold facts are that Corvo punched "her" out once he realized that the woman he'd been making out with at the bar was in fact a transvestite.  Which means, of course, that Corvo did NOT beat up a woman. 

From a purely hockey perspective, my worst nightmare has come true.  I NEVER wanted Corvo to be a Bruin, though he may be okay in the limited role Julien gives him.  Corvo is WIDEMAN-LIKE defensively, always has been, always will be...a disaster.  And not physical.  Unless injuries press him into higher TOI, Corvo's 12:00 per game will largely be spent as a PP and offensive zone specialist. 

Lastly, to make matters worse, Corvo defines the word "streaky".  I expect him to get off to a great start, possibly lasting the first 2-3 months of the season, at which point he will stop doing the things that made him successful.  Not the sharpest knife in the drawer, shall we say...WHY do you suppose he's been with SO MANY teams?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Can't find anything in the court records about her being a transvestite, but she may have been transgendered. So you're basically saying it's ok to beat someone up who is transgendered because of who they are. You know what I say to that? F*** off you bigot. Assault is assault. It wasn't a big deal because he plead out. End of story.
    Posted by red75

Please.  Me thinks you're a bit quick to raise that banner.  Is it "bigotry" when someone misrepresents his/her sex while in the act of picking people up at bars?  Or is it in fact, "lying"?  Think about that for a moment, Red. 

Violent or not, Corvo's reaction would be regarded as "normal" by the vast majority of young men caught in Corvo's circumstances, 9-10 years ago.  While it's never "okay" to assault anyone, regardless of gender, Corvo's reaction was pretty darn human.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Please.  Me thinks you're a bit quick to raise that banner.  Is it "bigotry" when someone misrepresents his/her sex while in the act of picking people up at bars?  Or is it in fact, "lying"?  Think about that for a moment, Red.  Violent or not, Corvo's reaction would be regarded as "normal" by the vast majority of young men caught in Corvo's circumstances, 9-10 years ago.  While it's never "okay" to assault anyone, regardless of gender, Corvo's reaction was pretty darn human.
    Posted by BruinsCountry

If she was transgendered (which cannot be verified btw) then she is female (including the right "equipment") and is recognized as such by law. If that's the case nothing was "misrepresented." Maybe bigot was too strong a word. How about "ignorant"? Like I said, assualt is assault. What difference does the gender of the victim make? A crime (OF WHICH HE WAS CONVICTED!) is a crime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : If she was transgendered (which cannot be verified btw) then she is female (including the right "equipment") and is recognized as such by law. If that's the case nothing was "misrepresented." Maybe bigot was too strong a word. How about "ignorant"? Like I said, assualt is assault. What difference does the gender of the victim make? A crime (OF WHICH HE WAS CONVICTED!) is a crime.
    Posted by red75

If one is being realistic, especially in a case such as this, the gender of the victim makes a HUGE difference because the person who was assaulted was misrepresenting his/her gender in a romantic situation.  Which is the reason gender has EVERYTHING to do with this case.  To believe otherwise in this case is simply not realistic.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

SHE is female. Whether or not she was born that way, I don't see the difference (and again that is unverified rumour). Explain it to me, because I don't get it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Give the guy some slack..this happened YEARS AGO and has been clean since.

Hopefully he brings that kick azz tude to the ice.

Welcome Joe!

Sections
Shortcuts