Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

Wasn't Stan Jonathan also charged with a crime? I still see people cheering him whenever the B's have him as guest. I'm dead against anyone hitting a female gender. I'm also against not giving someone a 2nd chance! God knows I've had a few in my lifetime. Considering he paid his punishment for breaking the law. If society felt that NOBODY deserved a 2nd chance; then what's the point of having a justice system at all? Should it be that if you commit a crime; then you have to give them the death penalty? If the guy served his punishment & hasn't had a repeat of any simular circimstances. I think he'll be fine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I am not going to pass judment as a former police officer there are always at least 2 sides to every story. Do I think its ok to hit women? Absolutly not but I sure as heck don't know the circumstances. He did NO JAIL time. Our legal system here in the states is a joke as the crime never seems to get the proper time. You me or anyone esle I am assuming doen't know the full circumstances.

I wonder if there is anyway we can get the full police report. This does stink though I was happy getting this player and now it puts a damper on it. Like I have said I don't know what fully happened but the man did no jail time. I need to know FACTS before fully judging this.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]SHE is female. Whether or not she was born that way, I don't see the difference (and again that is unverified rumour). Explain it to me, because I don't get it.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

If SHE was a transvestite (a man dressed as a woman) as opposed to a transgender, do you then see the difference?     

Though this is "unverified rumour" to you, my original comment is an accurate account of what happened that night.  I would not have written it otherwise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]i'm still young, and i drink frequently, i've done many, many, stupid things. I'm not ready to give him a free pass for this, but I've done a bunch of things I would give anthing to take back. never anything of the violent sort but many things that were much more hurtful. I do not know him, I do not know directly of his actions, therefore I'll give him the benefit of the doubt...but definitely a short leash on this one
    Posted by thedauber1[/QUOTE]

I agree, as I stated earlier. My more recent posts have had more to do with BruinsCountry's posts rather than the issue at hand. However, I do understand NAS's and Dez's take on this.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

If Corvo was dating my sister, I would care about his personal life.
    I do not expect professional athletes, to be choir boys.
    I'm sure the bruins (and every other sports team), have had a long history of,
    less than savory people, wear their jersey.
    I care about the team winning. If Corvo helps do that, I am happy to have in on the team.
    I am not condoning what he did, but it would take more than a one-time, lapse in judgement, for me to be upset he is a Bruin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : If SHE was a transvestite (a man dressed as a woman) as opposed to a transgender, do you then see the difference?      Though this is "unverified rumour" to you, my original comment is an accurate account of what happened that night.  I would not have written it otherwise.
    Posted by BruinsCountry[/QUOTE]

Then why did the courts fail to mention that little fact? Under Mass. law (I just checked it) a person can only be reffered to as  female by law if they were either born female or are post-op transgedered. The victim was refferred to as female.

And no, I still don't see the difference. Assualt is assault.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eyeinthesky10. Show eyeinthesky10's posts

There is a big difference due to the gender.  Just because a person is recognized as a female under MA law does not mean that Joe Corvo recognizes that person as a female while drunk in a bar and looking for women.  He barked up the wrong tree and was embarrassed and probably shamed by this person.  He figured, hey this person isn't no woman, i'm gonna kick the crap outta them...but he was wrong under MA law.  

I would put money on Corvo not considering this person a "female" after words were exchanged

Obviously he shouldn't be bar fighting with anyone...but I am sure nothing gets the blood boiling faster than a "female" telling you how big her package used to be...that is why this was a one-time thing....and you would have terrible judgement to make this mistake twice HAHAHAHA

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Sounds like most are referring to the Crocodile Dundee incident, I don't condone hitting women but this is the type of misrepresentation that would see a lot of sparks from a drunk at a bar.

All can be up in arms, but hey this happened 8 years ago with no repeats, so give it a break.

This all seemed to be swept under the rug, a plea of guilty and no punishment seems like this was done to end it immediately.  There was a lot that would not be in the report and a lot that would not be in the plea hearing and sentencing, obviously the prosecution felt the punishment was enough or this would have been a big deal.  This was in this millennia, 2003 not 1903, where the woman wouldn't have even been allowed in the bar, lucky for me there is no more of the His and Her bars as I would have never met my wife on a Friday night drink after work with the gang.

The extenuating circumstances is probably why there was no push for a heavy sentence but everything on here is all speculation and non provable. He did plead Guilty, he did get his punishment, it was served satisfactorily to the law, there has been no repeat incidents. He does not need to speak on this, it is history, so let the beast play hockey.  Pc would know the story on this, if he thinks it is history, I will accept his judgement.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Cmon now...is everyone teeling me that in Boston that you havent run across a He/She that looked good...Taken him/her around wining and dining....Found out what it was and didnt have a few ill mannered thoughts???    But ill bet you just admire Vick.... but thats another story...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

If he gets one more assault and adds  a weapons charge to his game. He could move up to be a 1st or 2nd rounder in the nba or nfl

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Yes he was and he deals with issues just like we all do. Sports are in place for entertainment purposes. Much like the Gladiators were used. If you're going to start judging these athletes that you don't know I suggest you find some other form of entertainment.  " We're sinners and we'll surely get sainted while real saints will simply be tainted. Sometimes villains deserve your applause cause our heroes are tragically flawed."
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I hear you Callo. Can't wait for Felger to weigh in on this. For now we'll stick to this board.
    NAS for once is looking at the game differently.  Now it's okay to go into the lives of a hockey players personal life.
    I can list another women beater that NAS recently said would have liked him to be a Bruin until someone points it out and shows him an article of what this player did .
    I can also give you a player that has ties with "the Mafia" and the organization and the media there has been told not to talk about etc...
    I guess it comes with the territory when you're Stanley Cup Champions.
    I'll stick to what a player does on the ice. 

p.s.If anyone I know deal with personally did this I would not have much respect for the individual.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I read the piece NAS, now I am one who walked across a parking lot once to confront a man  loudly berating his wife and almost getting into to civil brawl as a result.  My family history is full of this crap, but guess what, I did not raise my daughters to accept that craap. Any other commentary requires more information, details, and modern approaches to thinking on human relationships.  I will go with the management decision despite the represehinsible behavior of the past.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Perfectly stated.  I think we're all on the same side in deploring violence against women, which I believe is about as cowardly and gutless an act as possible.  In trusting PC's judgement on his acquisition, I'm assuming this event in Corvo's history must have been explored exhaustively by club brass. 

I'd imagine what he did has trailed him from team to team and now he's in Boston.  Who knows what, if any effect this may have in the locker room.  Remember the furor over Ference's comments about Paille's hit that earned him a suspension?  At the time, I think we read speculation of his words being divisive.  More than anything his judgement will come from his on-ice performance much like any other player. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.monarchsfanclub.com/corvo.htm Zero respect for this man.  I'm disgusted that the B's management would even consider bringing him to town.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

100% agree with you, NAS.

I remember when the news came out that the Red Sox' Wilfredo Cordero had abused his wife. I just couldn't bring myself to cheer for him after that, and it's going to be equally hard for me to get on the Corvo bandwagon as well, which is too bad, b/c he's a pretty good player.

Don't give a d*mn about this whole transgender thing or whatever some are using as an excuse. Assault is assault and it really bothers me that the Bruins wouldn't take into account this guy's character when considering bringing on a  player who should be emblematic of the team's values and representation to the rest of the league and public.

Maybe the news will come out that Corvo has undergone anger management or some other type of counseling, or more importantly--volunteered for a battered womens' shelter (I won't hold my breath), but unless that's the case, poor decision by Chiarelli.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:[QUOTE] Craig MacTavish was convicted of vehicular HOMICIDE.....has he not been forgiven???? This was a terribly stupid thing Corvo did "almost a decade ago" Some of you people need to quit living in the past....leave that for hab fans. Welcome to the Bruins Joe. Posted by pauly1[/QUOTE]

^Boom!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : I hear you Callo. Can't wait for Felger to weigh in on this. For now we'll stick to this board. NAS for once is looking at the game differently.  Now it's okay to go into the lives of a hockey players personal life. I can list another women beater that NAS recently said would have liked him to be a Bruin until someone points it out and shows him an article of what this player did . I can also give you a player that has ties with "the Mafia" and the organization and the media there has been told not to talk about etc... I guess it comes with the territory when you're Stanley Cup Champions. I'll stick to what a player does on the ice.  p.s. If anyone I know deal with personally did this I would not have much respect for the individual.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

But, B's Legion--how far are you willing to extend that mindset? What if a Bruins player is convicted of rape? Beating up a fan who gets too much 'in his grill' for his liking? Or drives drunk and ends up killing someone (MacTavish; Heatley--indirectly.)

I can't root for any of those players and like I said, 2nd chances are fine as long as the player shows a real and sincere effort to make amends--like volunteering time at a battered womens' shelter. I'd like to find out if Corvo has done something like that, or has just been ducking the issue for the past 10 years.

You can cheer for Corvo all you want, but I;m going to have a hard time doing so, just as I did for Cordero w/the Sox.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : But, B's Legion--how far are you willing to extend that mindset? What if a Bruins player is convicted of rape? Beating up a fan who gets too much 'in his grill' for his liking? Or drives drunk and ends up killing someone (MacTavish; Heatley--indirectly.) I can't root for any of those players and like I said, 2nd chances are fine as long as the player shows a real and sincere effort to make amends--like volunteering time at a battered womens' shelter. I'd like to find out if Corvo has done something like that, or has just been ducking the issue for the past 10 years. You can cheer for Corvo all you want, but I;m going to have a hard time doing so, just as I did for Cordero w/the Sox.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

But TTBI, of course we would prefer that all players (or all people) be good citizens and I deplore violence against women.  But my perspective on this is to completely remove myself from getting into the judgement of character in professional athletes.  If the guy is a criminal, he should be charged and punished just like everyone else.

But hockey players are almost like objects to me.  I want entertainment.  They are not my friends, or relatives, or role models.  I just want to get away from the game of having a moral perspective on their personal lives anymore than anyone else.  On a night out I pay money to the restaurant, the waiter, the bartender, the cab driver, musician's, actors, or whatever entertainment I may seek.  At no point do I worry or ask about their personal character or arrest history.  It's not about sympathy or foregivness for potential criminals -- it's just not my place or interest to make a moral evaluation of them.  I just want to be entertained.  Leave the background checks to the employer or the police.

If I were Chiarelli, I would take a long hard look at this, but I'm not.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : But, B's Legion--how far are you willing to extend that mindset? What if a Bruins player is convicted of rape? Beating up a fan who gets too much 'in his grill' for his liking? Or drives drunk and ends up killing someone (MacTavish; Heatley--indirectly.) I can't root for any of those players and like I said, 2nd chances are fine as long as the player shows a real and sincere effort to make amends--like volunteering time at a battered womens' shelter. I'd like to find out if Corvo has done something like that, or has just been ducking the issue for the past 10 years. You can cheer for Corvo all you want, but I;m going to have a hard time doing so, just as I did for Cordero w/the Sox.

To each their own.  I'll still respect your opinion.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

IAnd what was her role?  What did she do to provike him. You were not there.
    Don't judge, what are you Mr. Perfect     n Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.monarchsfanclub.com/corvo.htm Zero respect for this man.  I'm disgusted that the B's management would even consider bringing him to town.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The incident in question is not your typical 'Beat women' scenario that jumps to mind.  It was not domestic abuse with a woman clearly at a disadvantage and a cowardly man exploiting it.  It was a conflict between two people in a public place.  That does not mean it's OK to hit women, but really it's not OK to hit anyone, yet many of us have done it and don't view ourselves as bad people.  We don't know the true details of the situation.  There is speculation on here that the woman provoked Corvo or that the woman at one time had male equipment and/or tricked him.  None of us have any idea.  All we know is that he was drunk, acted like an idiot and struck someone. He admitted this, expressed remorse, and to anyone's knowledge has not done it again.  We know that PC worked with him in the past, knows of the incident and that it did not bother him to hire him again.  He also knows that he was a key part of the Senators' run to the final playing a role similar to what he will be asked to do here.  PC knows that Corvo was not a disruption in the locker room on that team.  Unless further, worse details are revealed, this issue is closed in my little part of the Bruins universe.  I look forward to watching Joe play hockey and think he was a perfect fit for the B's.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The incident in question is not your typical 'Beat women' scenario that jumps to mind.  It was not domestic abuse with a woman clearly at a disadvantage and a cowardly man exploiting it.  It was a conflict between two people in a public place.  That does not mean it's OK to hit women, but really it's not OK to hit anyone, yet many of us have done it and don't view ourselves as bad people.  We don't know the true details of the situation.  There is speculation on here that the woman provoked Corvo or that the woman at one time had male equipment and/or tricked him.  None of us have any idea.  All we know is that he was drunk, acted like an idiot and struck someone. He admitted this, expressed remorse, and to anyone's knowledge has not done it again.  We know that PC worked with him in the past, knows of the incident and that it did not bother him to hire him again.  He also knows that he was a key part of the Senators' run to the final playing a role similar to what he will be asked to do here.  PC knows that Corvo was not a disruption in the locker room on that team.  Unless further, worse details are revealed, this issue is closed in my little part of the Bruins universe.  I look forward to watching Joe play hockey and think he was a perfect fit for the B's.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    What I find interesting is that he was charged with groping her(wasn't he?) so I'm having trouble imagining how he/she may have misrepresented him/herself to Corvo. Sounds like Corvo decided to cop a feel and then became furious when the boys made fun of him for groping a he-she.Bottom line is there are many things wrong with the story.I hope the only news Corvo makes from here on in is for Norris consideration.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

My subjective, unsubstantiated opinion of the incident is this probably exactly how it played out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : But TTBI, of course we would prefer that all players (or all people) be good citizens and I deplore violence against women.  But my perspective on this is to completely remove myself from getting into the judgement of character in professional athletes.  If the guy is a criminal, he should be charged and punished just like everyone else. But hockey players are almost like objects to me.  I want entertainment.  They are not my friends, or relatives, or role models.  I just want to get away from the game of having a moral perspective on their personal lives anymore than anyone else.  On a night out I pay money to the restaurant, the waiter, the bartender, the cab driver, musician's, actors, or whatever entertainment I may seek.  At no point do I worry or ask about their personal character or arrest history.  It's not about sympathy or foregivness for potential criminals -- it's just not my place or interest to make a moral evaluation of them.  I just want to be entertained.  Leave the background checks to the employer or the police. If I were Chiarelli, I would take a long hard look at this, but I'm not.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I buy part of your argument Fletch....I'm a huge Woody Allen fan, and still love his movies, despite the less than honorable things he did in his private life.

But I do find it hard--when i KNOW what a player has done--to cheer for that guy. Would you have cheered for OJ had he been in his prime when he got acquitted and then went back to scoring TD's, just b/c he played for your team..or would that knowledge of what he did creep into your judgment just a bit?

Jason Kidd, Wil Cordero, Kenny Rogers, Dany Heatly, Tiger Woods....pro sports is littered w/examples of athletes acting badly, and I understand we can't expect them to be saints while the rest of us revel sometimes in sin.

But I also can't see how you can draw that barrier completely between on-field  and off-field performance...if you only cared about what they did on the field, why not replace all the humans w/robots who we could just power down once the game is over so they don't run amok in the streets?

athletes in our society get treated better than the rest of us, and are paid handsomly for it. I think it's OK to hold them to a somewhat higher moral standard as a result....or barring that, to ask them to earn their second chances thru good works. Show me evidence Corvo has done so and I'll cheer for him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! :  I buy part of your argument Fletch....I'm a huge Woody Allen fan, and still love his movies, despite the less than honorable things he did in his private life. But I do find it hard--when i KNOW what a player has done--to cheer for that guy. Would you have cheered for OJ had he been in his prime when he got acquitted and then went back to scoring TD's, just b/c he played for your team..or would that knowledge of what he did creep into your judgment just a bit? Jason Kidd, Wil Cordero, Kenny Rogers, Dany Heatly, Tiger Woods....pro sports is littered w/examples of athletes acting badly, and I understand we can't expect them to be saints while the rest of us revel sometimes in sin. But I also can't see how you can draw that barrier completely between on-field  and off-field performance...if you only cared about what they did on the field, why not replace all the humans w/robots who we could just power down once the game is over so they don't run amok in the streets? athletes in our society get treated better than the rest of us, and are paid handsomly for it. I think it's OK to hold them to a somewhat higher moral standard as a result....or barring that, to ask them to earn their second chances thru good works. Show me evidence Corvo has done so and I'll cheer for him.

I get what you are saying and you won't see Corvo jerseys and posters in my house.  And hosestly, I do care, now that I know.  I guess I just have the perspective that the Bruins are entertainment and I have no responsibility to find out anything about their personal lives or take a moral stand on the things that I hear.  I expect the police to deal with the criminal conduct and the team to screen serious character issues.  My job is just to watch.  A cop-out?  Maybe.  But I am more concerned with what is going on in my own world and I turn to the Bruins for entertainment and to see elite hockey skill, not moral platitudes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]The incident in question is not your typical 'Beat women' scenario that jumps to mind.  It was not domestic abuse with a woman clearly at a disadvantage and a cowardly man exploiting it.  It was a conflict between two people in a public place.  That does not mean it's OK to hit women, but really it's not OK to hit anyone, yet many of us have done it and don't view ourselves as bad people.  We don't know the true details of the situation.  There is speculation on here that the woman provoked Corvo or that the woman at one time had male equipment and/or tricked him.  None of us have any idea.  All we know is that he was drunk, acted like an idiot and struck someone. He admitted this, expressed remorse, and to anyone's knowledge has not done it again.  We know that PC worked with him in the past, knows of the incident and that it did not bother him to hire him again.  He also knows that he was a key part of the Senators' run to the final playing a role similar to what he will be asked to do here.  PC knows that Corvo was not a disruption in the locker room on that team.  Unless further, worse details are revealed, this issue is closed in my little part of the Bruins universe.  I look forward to watching Joe play hockey and think he was a perfect fit for the B's.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Spot on.  Your post was much more informative and clearer explanation than my contribution on this thread.  Thanks.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Casey Anthony walked.  OJ walked.  Because someone served no jail time says little about the crime.