Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

And more about the differences in the crimes Corvo vs. OJ/Babysitter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from duinne. Show duinne's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! :  I buy part of your argument Fletch....I'm a huge Woody Allen fan, and still love his movies, despite the less than honorable things he did in his private life. But I do find it hard--when i KNOW what a player has done--to cheer for that guy. Would you have cheered for OJ had he been in his prime when he got acquitted and then went back to scoring TD's, just b/c he played for your team..or would that knowledge of what he did creep into your judgment just a bit? Jason Kidd, Wil Cordero, Kenny Rogers, Dany Heatly, Tiger Woods....pro sports is littered w/examples of athletes acting badly, and I understand we can't expect them to be saints while the rest of us revel sometimes in sin. But I also can't see how you can draw that barrier completely between on-field  and off-field performance...if you only cared about what they did on the field, why not replace all the humans w/robots who we could just power down once the game is over so they don't run amok in the streets? athletes in our society get treated better than the rest of us, and are paid handsomly for it. I think it's OK to hold them to a somewhat higher moral standard as a result....or barring that, to ask them to earn their second chances thru good works. Show me evidence Corvo has done so and I'll cheer for him.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Ask, and ye shall receive...

The incident happened in 2002. This was written in 2009

Anger-management counseling sessions, ordered by the courts when Corvo pleaded guilty to assault chargers in October 2003, began as a chore but turned into a life-changing experience for Corvo. The birth of the couple's first child, a son named Cameron, a year later, also made Corvo, now 28, happier and more mature.

``He's completely different,'' Angela Corvo said. ``It's everything. I make fun of him because for a long time with my parents ... it's not that he didn't like them, but he was kind of shy and standoffish. Now he's always giving my mom hugs and calling her Mom. He has completely changed as a person.''

...The counseling sessions went so well that Corvo made plans to continue them by telephone if last season's lockout had ended. There was no court-mandated length to the counseling, but Corvo went for a full year.

And he found outlets. When feelings of anger or frustration surfaced, Corvo began punching a heavy bag. When Corvo returned to Los Angeles from Illinois to prepare for this season, the heavy bag stayed behind but he turned to pen and paper, writing down the negative thoughts just to get them out of his head.

``I started to see changes right away,'' Angela Corvo said. ``I was always a little concerned, not from the standpoint of our relationship so much but because of the way his attitude affected him in hockey.''

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_13193152

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Welcome back duinne, don't be a stranger

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Ask, and ye shall receive... The incident happened in 2002. This was written in 2009 Anger-management counseling sessions, ordered by the courts when Corvo pleaded guilty to assault chargers in October 2003, began as a chore but turned into a life-changing experience for Corvo. The birth of the couple's first child, a son named Cameron, a year later, also made Corvo, now 28, happier and more mature. ``He's completely different,'' Angela Corvo said. ``It's everything. I make fun of him because for a long time with my parents ... it's not that he didn't like them, but he was kind of shy and standoffish. Now he's always giving my mom hugs and calling her Mom. He has completely changed as a person.'' ...The counseling sessions went so well that Corvo made plans to continue them by telephone if last season's lockout had ended. There was no court-mandated length to the counseling, but Corvo went for a full year. And he found outlets. When feelings of anger or frustration surfaced, Corvo began punching a heavy bag. When Corvo returned to Los Angeles from Illinois to prepare for this season, the heavy bag stayed behind but he turned to pen and paper, writing down the negative thoughts just to get them out of his head. ``I started to see changes right away,'' Angela Corvo said. ``I was always a little concerned, not from the standpoint of our relationship so much but because of the way his attitude affected him in hockey.'' http://www.dailynews.com/ci_13193152
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]
    Joe's trying to make amends, good on him. Welcome to the B's Joe, get ready for camp.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Happy to have Corvo on the Bs. Looking forward to seeing him in black and gold and hopefully with a proper hockey number on his back.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Ask, and ye shall receive... The incident happened in 2002. This was written in 2009 Anger-management counseling sessions, ordered by the courts when Corvo pleaded guilty to assault chargers in October 2003, began as a chore but turned into a life-changing experience for Corvo. The birth of the couple's first child, a son named Cameron, a year later, also made Corvo, now 28, happier and more mature. ``He's completely different,'' Angela Corvo said. ``It's everything. I make fun of him because for a long time with my parents ... it's not that he didn't like them, but he was kind of shy and standoffish. Now he's always giving my mom hugs and calling her Mom. He has completely changed as a person.'' ...The counseling sessions went so well that Corvo made plans to continue them by telephone if last season's lockout had ended. There was no court-mandated length to the counseling, but Corvo went for a full year. And he found outlets. When feelings of anger or frustration surfaced, Corvo began punching a heavy bag. When Corvo returned to Los Angeles from Illinois to prepare for this season, the heavy bag stayed behind but he turned to pen and paper, writing down the negative thoughts just to get them out of his head. ``I started to see changes right away,'' Angela Corvo said. ``I was always a little concerned, not from the standpoint of our relationship so much but because of the way his attitude affected him in hockey.'' http://www.dailynews.com/ci_13193152
    Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this, Duinne...
    It absolutely makes me feel better about the decision to bring him here. Now let's hope he can run the power play better than Kaberle did!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Nice find duinne . Welcome back .

People make mistakes in their lives. I believe in second chances . If we judge others because of hate or our own self righteous ways then how can anyone try and redeem themselves after making those mistakes. 

Some just don't understand this because they have the misconception of being a perfect person themself. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

Thanks Duinne, and good to see your input on these threads! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from saultont. Show saultont's posts

Welcome back Duinne...as are the positive comments on Joe...looks as though he has paid his dues in more ways than any of us will ever know and I say lets look to the future instead of digging up bones...nice to see you posting as you are a knowledgeable hockey mind and I have missed your input.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hey duinne -- welcome back.  I can't believe you skipped the championship season here.  Hope you enjoyed it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Posted by duinne[/QUOTE]

I knew you were around.  As you can see SHOT here is sticking up for women although don't be fooled he's still head strong on his beliefs.

Time to change your PIC !!!!!

Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll echo that Duinne. Welcome back. You were missed.
    Great investigative work there. Granted this was a huge mistake by him (under any circumstance), but the fact he is obviously trying to do the right thing makes me feel a lot better about the whole situation.

I've been taught that you should always forgive...but I will say, anyone who says he doesn't deserve another chance and should be held accountable from now till doomsday, that is their right and I will not say they are incorrect in their position, or would I attempt to defend Corvo's actions. He's the one who has to look in the mirror every day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RidingwiththeQueen. Show RidingwiththeQueen's posts

In fact you're right... when we were a young couple Riding and I... he hit me once... he never did it again... he became a good man  because he realized what he had done to me was awful.. i forgave him ...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

The thing is, ANYONE saying he shouldnt play here, they shouldnt have signed him, he's a punk, you shouldnt cheer for him, etc., is a complete and total hypocrite because.....

I GUARANTEE YOU that youve purchased services from a number of places including, but not limited to, clothing, beverages, food, electronics, vehicle, toys, building supplies, etc. from companies who have employed people who have done MUCH WORSE over the course of their lives, MANY TIMES and NOT been sorry or changed their ways.  Products that youve used regularly and LOVED and told your friends about.  There is no way around it, its happened.  So go back to sticking your head in the sand if you like.

If you choose to be against the signing, thats fine by me, its your prerogative because this is still (for the most part) a free country.  HOWEVER, when people sit on their high-horse, shouting at the top of their lungs how theyre right and everyone who disagree with their point of view is wrong, theyre the worst kind of hypocrites.

Corvo made a mistake and has since made amends and made himself into a better man by the sounds of it.  Everyone has a lapse in judgement at some point in their lives, no denying that.  The right kind of people learn from their mistakes and make better from them.  Sounds like Corvo has done that, and I congratulate him on it.  Thats not an easy road.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RidingwiththeQueen. Show RidingwiththeQueen's posts

i agree  bigvig

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The thing is, ANYONE saying he shouldnt play here, they shouldnt have signed him, he's a punk, you shouldnt cheer for him, etc., is a complete and total hypocrite because..... I GUARANTEE YOU that youve purchased services from a number of places including, but not limited to, clothing, beverages, food, electronics, vehicle, toys, building supplies, etc. from companies who have employed people who have done MUCH WORSE over the course of their lives, MANY TIMES and NOT been sorry or changed their ways.  Products that youve used regularly and LOVED and told your friends about.  There is no way around it, its happened.  So go back to sticking your head in the sand if you like. If you choose to be against the signing, thats fine by me, its your prerogative because this is still (for the most part) a free country.  HOWEVER, when people sit on their high-horse, shouting at the top of their lungs how theyre right and everyone who disagree with their point of view is wrong, theyre the worst kind of hypocrites. Corvo made a mistake and has since made amends and made himself into a better man by the sounds of it.  Everyone has a lapse in judgement at some point in their lives, no denying that.  The right kind of people learn from their mistakes and make better from them.  Sounds like Corvo has done that, and I congratulate him on it.  Thats not an easy road.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    What kind of analogy is that? So if I buy Buick which was made on an assembly line which included a guy that's a convicted felon, you're trying to say that there's even a remote similarity to cheering for Corvo.Talk about graspng at straws.........

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

As has been mentioned on another thread, Dany Heatley was forgiven unconditionally by the Snyder's. If Joe Corvo cannnot be afforded the same luxury by some people then that is something he is i'm sure living with already and i'm sure he understands that. By trying to get help and stay the course in being a better person that is a credit talred Joe. People don't have to forgive him, that is their perogative, but Corvo can't worry about that. His mission or goal should be to continue on the path to being a better person, and from what i have read, he already is.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Dez, my point is I think its a little much to attack Corvo for a mistake he made nearly 10 years ago that REALLY isnt all that horrible.  No, I do not condone punching out someone, but Ive done it.  Ive never punched out a woman, but if the sexes are equal it shouldnt matter that this was a "she".  Its a person.  Point is, because his employment and history are public knowledge its easy to attack him personally.  I think its grasping at straws to try and continue to chastise someone who made a mistake as a young person but has gone, what sounds like, above and beyond making amends for it.  When do we say that person has payed their debt.  We all own products that have gone through the hands of someone much, MUCH worse.  Id bet anything on it.  But we dont know this and we pretend thats not the case in our minds perfect little world.  We dont give two thoughts to it.  Are people outraged that a rapist, child molester or murderer made their license plate in certain states, an item that is on their vehicle every single day?  Most dont give it a second thought.

You wont see me falling in love with him or buying his gear, but Im certainly not going to throw stones from the nosebleed section because of an isolated incident that happened nearly a decade ago.  An incident that might have changed his life, and possibly the lives of others, for the better.

And again, does it really matter that it was a woman?  Is that what makes this so bad, because it sounds like thats the factor.  If so, doesnt that make us sexists?  How many of us here have, at one time or another, punched someone in the face?  I guess thats my point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Is the difference between "a woman" and "women" really that hard?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, my point is I think its a little much to attack Corvo for a mistake he made nearly 10 years ago that REALLY isnt all that horrible.  No, I do not condone punching out someone, but Ive done it.  Ive never punched out a woman, but if the sexes are equal it shouldnt matter that this was a "she".  Its a person.  Point is, because his employment and history are public knowledge its easy to attack him personally.  I think its grasping at straws to try and continue to chastise someone who made a mistake as a young person but has gone, what sounds like, above and beyond making amends for it.  When do we say that person has payed their debt.  We all own products that have gone through the hands of someone much, MUCH worse.  Id bet anything on it.  But we dont know this and we pretend thats not the case in our minds perfect little world.  We dont give two thoughts to it.  Are people outraged that a rapist, child molester or murderer made their license plate in certain states, an item that is on their vehicle every single day?  Most dont give it a second thought. You wont see me falling in love with him or buying his gear, but Im certainly not going to throw stones from the nosebleed section because of an isolated incident that happened nearly a decade ago.  An incident that might have changed his life, and possibly the lives of others, for the better. And again, does it really matter that it was a woman?  Is that what makes this so bad, because it sounds like thats the factor.  If so, doesnt that make us sexists?  How many of us here have, at one time or another, punched someone in the face?  I guess thats my point.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

wow, i was done with this whole thing but then someone has to say somthin really dumb. i have accepted the fact that it happend and he is sorry and changed for the better, but some of things people say on here are so out landish.

1. was not really that bad! assaults a women(has not proven it was not women by anybody yet) punches in her in the face and kicks when she is down.
    2. the sexes are equal in the court of law?, so are children. do you condone beating them also maybe if the person was hanicap would that be acceptable?
    3.Your so right i am hypocrite, Im gonna go take off my license plate right now just  to prove i have morals

dumbest post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seems like joe has turend his life around and i have no beef with him but i do with people who want pretend that what he did was ok, or no big deal.
    If i were him i would be ashamed of myself the rest of life and maybe he is.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez, my point is I think its a little much to attack Corvo for a mistake he made nearly 10 years ago that REALLY isnt all that horrible.  No, I do not condone punching out someone, but Ive done it.  Ive never punched out a woman, but if the sexes are equal it shouldnt matter that this was a "she".  Its a person.  Point is, because his employment and history are public knowledge its easy to attack him personally.  I think its grasping at straws to try and continue to chastise someone who made a mistake as a young person but has gone, what sounds like, above and beyond making amends for it.  When do we say that person has payed their debt.  We all own products that have gone through the hands of someone much, MUCH worse.  Id bet anything on it.  But we dont know this and we pretend thats not the case in our minds perfect little world.  We dont give two thoughts to it.  Are people outraged that a rapist, child molester or murderer made their license plate in certain states, an item that is on their vehicle every single day?  Most dont give it a second thought. You wont see me falling in love with him or buying his gear, but Im certainly not going to throw stones from the nosebleed section because of an isolated incident that happened nearly a decade ago.  An incident that might have changed his life, and possibly the lives of others, for the better. And again, does it really matter that it was a woman?  Is that what makes this so bad, because it sounds like thats the factor.  If so, doesnt that make us sexists?  How many of us here have, at one time or another, punched someone in the face?  I guess thats my point.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    BigV, I admit that the more I've heard, the less angry I've become. His wife makes it sound like he may have turned a corner with his life and I'd like to think PC has a pretty good idea of what type of person he's signed. Like I said, if the only news he makes is for his play on the ice, his past indescretions will be more easily forgotten. Obviously, I hope for the best of him and the Bruins. Cheers!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelf101. Show michaelf101's posts

This is the difference between a low level player  like Corvol this guy has been getting bashed. The star players like Randy Moss who beat women as much as he scored touchdowns.  He didn't get bashed as bad as this guy Corvol. Charater doesn't matter anymore it's all about the money.If a team thinks a player will help them win they put there blinders on.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.monarchsfanclub.com/corvo.htm Zero respect for this man.  I'm disgusted that the B's management would even consider bringing him to town.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    get over yourself. first of, have u ever considered that some women actually seek such filth? takes 2 to tango.. if she was absolutely adamant against it and he has sought counseling, what business is it of yours? we all have different demons and some questionable ways of dealing with aggression. u dont know what goes down un their relationship. but yep, its not a death sentence because a guy beats up his gal esp if not a frequent thing... dont forget the shoe is increasingly now on the other foot. would u never a hire a woman for she snapped once and smacked a guy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

i perhaps should have read ur link first. bottom line is i lived in NH i that area at the time. obviously thats not behavior anyone should promote. they did flirt and she did lead him on.. he was very buzzed. no jail time for there was no such behavior in his past. clearly not a pattern. he felt humiliated, ashamed and entitled. is that the end of the world? is he the first to ever do it? thats a clear youthful indiscretion. hasnt done it since and hadnt before and met all probatn terms, LET IT GO! he was wrong and its rightfully unacceptable. he deserved a 2nd chance and did a good job with it! go find ur own team with all perfect alter boys!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

CC- interesting argument with yourself.

1st pitch in a few minutes?  See ya.

Sections
Shortcuts