Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticBear68. Show CelticBear68's posts

Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!

Not condoing Joe's behaviour or assault on women in any way, nor do I see alcohol as a legit excuse...

For another take on the story, see this link - sounds like he used te incident to bring about meaningful, positive change(s) in his life

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

This is going to make it really hard to support this guy.  Mistakes do happen, but something like this doesn't just come out of the blue.  There has to be an underlying attitude that goes with the action. Alcohol just lowers inhibitions, it doesn't create entire attitude sets.  He did that because it is part of who he is.  Maybe he has learned to further suppress that part of him, I don't know. 
    Everyone, myself included, has done things we regret and wish we could take back, but we can't.  I wouldn't want to have to pay for my mistakes for the rest of my life, not that anything I've done is comparable.
    I'm torn between allowing somebody to resume their life after paying the consequences for their actions and running this clown out of town. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]He was a kid and he made a horrible decision!  I hope he paid dearly for what he did. This kind of thing challenges my every last restraint!  Having said that he was a kid who made a terrible mistake and was punished accordingly!  Since that time there have been no other on the record incidents.  Lets hope he is reformed and learned a valuable lesson in life. Nothing can justify hitting and assaulting a women but you know there was a story here!  I am convincing no one to accept him against there own merit, but I will personally judge him from this day forward as a Boston Bruin.  I think we will see Joe has matured past a stupid kid who got drunk and let his emotions get the better of him!
    Posted by samsonov[/QUOTE]

He was 25 or 26.  That's no kid in my book.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

I will gladly cheer for Corvo as an athlete. I have no business knowing what is going in his personal life.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Not condoing Joe's behaviour or assault on women in any way, nor do I see alcohol as a legit excuse... For another take on the story, see this link - sounds like he used te incident to bring about meaningful, positive change(s) in his life http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2006/01/life-and-times-of-joe-corvo.html
    Posted by CelticBear68[/QUOTE]

Oh, booooo hoooooo.  He was feeling stuck in minor league hockey, so he drank too much and kicked the tar out of a person.

No reprive for him from that story.  Anyone got a different one?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Get off your high horse NAS!

"let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I will gladly cheer for Corvo as an athlete. I have no business knowing what is going in his personal life.
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Grahame James was a heck of a hockey coach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Get off your high horse NAS! "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

I'm on my high horse because I don't agree with the team signing a guy who beat a woman?

What does a player have to do in your world to "go too far"?  Murder?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Sounds like about 8 1/2 years ago, this guy did something pretty awful.  As far as I can tell, he hasn't had any incidents/relapses into poor/dangerous behavior since.  Also, as far as I can tell, he was clean prior to the 2002 incident.

I definitely don't like what he did and what he was convicted of, but it does appear to be an isolated incident.  I am willing to give the guy a chance, knowing that people make mistakes and can turn their life around for the better.  Sounds like that is what Corvo has done.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : then why so light on the sentence for the crime. i guess he was only suspended for 3 games and for his community serivice he signed autographs for kids. thats alittle light for such a crime dont u think? sclifton maybe its not true but there is more to the story, has to be.
    Posted by LoyalBlackNGold[/QUOTE]

I thought it sounded like a really light punishment also, which definetly makes you wonder. But hospitals are usually pretty good at determening the sex of a person, as the report goes it was a female admitted. i really wish this wasn't true. even the link about his olympic participation brings up it was a women and there was civil suit filed. Like somone said before it would almost be excusable if he did it as gut reaction, but he didnt he left and then came back. To me the most disturbing thing is kicking her when she was down. just classless, not bruin material. wish it wasnt true.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsonov. Show samsonov's posts

NAS you act like you are the teams Public Relations spokeman! Lets all take a breath and get to know who this guy is!  I have the up-most respect for Peter Chirelli and Cam Neely! I think they are a great judge of Character. Lets keep an open mind here instead of ripping someones life apart over a website article!

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : I'm on my high horse because I don't agree with the team signing a guy who beat a woman? What does a player have to do in your world to "go too far"?  Murder?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Grahame James was a heck of a hockey coach.
    Yes he was and he deals with issues just like we all do. Sports are in place for entertainment purposes. Much like the Gladiators were used. If you're going to start judging these athletes that you don't know I suggest you find some other form of entertainment. 
    "We're sinners and we'll surely get sainted while real saints will simply be tainted.
    Sometimes villains deserve your applause cause our heroes are tragically flawed."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:[QUOTE]Get off your high horse NAS! "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

"And it shall be, if the wicked man be worthy to be beaten, that the judge shall cause him to lie down, and to be beaten." Deuteronomy 25:2

see, I can use ancient books to back up my beliefs too! Ahh the joys of cherry-picking scripture

My personal favorite: Exodus 21:20-21

“Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

Presumably, you choose to ignore that pearl of ancient wisdom. What does that tell you? Morality is something we bring to religion, not something we get from it. Use your brain.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]NAS you act like you are the teams Public Relations spokeman! Lets all take a breath and get to know who this guy is!  I have the up-most respect for Peter Chirelli and Cam Neely! I think they are a great judge of Character. Lets keep an open mind here instead of ripping someones life apart over a website article! In Response to Re: Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! :
    Posted by samsonov[/QUOTE]

If I were in the PR department, I'd be on the "it was a long time ago" train.

This isn't about a website article.  It's fact.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]Get off your high horse NAS! "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

do they beat women in jersey then give them a pass regulary?
    it a fugazi right?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo!:
    [QUOTE]http://www.monarchsfanclub.com/corvo.htm Zero respect for this man.  I'm disgusted that the B's management would even consider bringing him to town.
    Before you trash talk ..did u check if he was guilty ??? 
    Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sclifton-4-freespeech. Show sclifton-4-freespeech's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Beat women? You'll love Joe Corvo! : Before you trash talk ..did u check if he was guilty ???  Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013 Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

he pleaded guilty if thats what you mean in a court of law, so yeah that means he is guilty usually.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

I've come around a bit on this in a matter of hours. It was about 7 years ago, and while it is brutal, I don't believe its healthy for a society to shame honest, regretful people for their entire lives, especially if they are no longer a menace. What I think should happen is Joe should address this publicly, and explain himself to the many 26-year-old Bruins fans out there that could benefit from hearing a remorseful offender. If he does that soon, I'll accept and move on.

I just don't want the bruins to slip it under the rug and act like know one knows.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins4me. Show bruins4me's posts

Dont Know about some of you,but Im still celebrating the Bruins winning THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!  END OF STORY!!!!! AND FOR THOSE IDIOT VANCOUVER FANS OUT THERE POSTING ON HERE, MORE SOUR GRAPES!!!! BON APPETITE!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I've come around a bit on this in a matter of hours. It was about 7 years ago, and while it is brutal, I don't believe its healthy for a society to shame honest, regretful people for their entire lives, especially if they are no longer a menace. What I think should happen is Joe should address this publicly, and explain himself to the many 26-year-old Bruins fans out there that could benefit from hearing a remorseful offender. If he does that soon, I'll accept and move on. I just don't want the bruins to slip it under the rug and act like know one knows.
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]

I'll probably join you, OC, but not yet.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

He doesn't need to address it. It happened, they all handled it, and it's in the past. Probably where all parties want it to be. He is a hockey player, playing hockey for others to enjoy. If he was running for public office or any government job then he should. He plays a sport. Not saying athletes can ran around doing whatever they want (sadly,  they mostly can). But, I don't see how we have any right to know something about his personal life when we don't even know him. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]"mistake" doesn't define a homogenous pool of behaviors that people are equally guilty of. Striking a defenseless person, then kicking them when they are down is disgraceful, whether you're hitting a man or a woman. This isn't like Clay bucholz stealing labtops in college, this is a violent crime. I've ripped on the Steelers for their rapist quarterback, and I plan on protesting Crovo's presence regardless of how much he helps our hapless power-play. I'd rather lose than employ dishonorable people.
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]
    Don't even start with this crap. You know who I'm against? Women who make false  rape allegations in order to cash in. The minute Ben is convicted of a crime, I'll start treating him like a criminal. Until then, he's like any other person....innocent until proven guilty.

During the interview, Ben's accuser describes how she met Ben -- and even claimed, "He seemed like a nice guy at first."

The accuser then explains how Ben allegedly whipped out his peenis, followed her into a nightclub restroom and raped her.

During the statement, the accuser tells the officer that she can't remember specifics from the alleged rape -- only that it "happened so fast."

Ben Roethlisberger had his arm around his accuser before the alleged assault ... and she had a big grin as she wrapped her arms around him. No doubt Ben's lawyer -- rightly or wrongly -- will make hay of this.

We now know the accuser's identity -- we will not post the picture in this story. A photo of the two taken at Capital City bar in Milledgeville, Georgia shortly before the alleged incident shows a cozy scene -- at least at that moment in time.

Of course, a photo never tells the whole story, and the mood could have darkened in an instant. Police sources tell TMZ the woman claims Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in the women's bathroom.

And, other women in the bar also posed for photos with Roethlisberger before the alleged incident.

So we're to believe that Ben pulled out his wang and followed her into the bathroom and raped her( that's her story BTW). How was he supposed to know whether or not the bathroom was empty first or did he really not care? Look, I'd find her story more believable had criminal charges been filed. As it is, civil charges brought against a celebrity doesn't equate to guilt with me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just wondering... but why the hell would this have been ok, or he should have gotten off lighter, if the person was LGBT? I could care less if the prson was Michael Clarke Duncan... you don't come back after an incident, punch someone in the face and kick them in the head outside a restaurant. It's called assault, and it's a felony. Why some of you think it would be more forgivable or understandable if the victim was transgendered is beyond me. If anything, in my mind that would make it worse, as under Mass. law it could potentially be a hate crime.

That said, according to the judicial system his debt has been paid (whether we agree with the sentence or not). Unless he shows residivist tendencies I can't see how he can perpetually be held to account for one incident. Some criminals do genuinely reform, and that may be the case with Corvo.
    However, if it was me personally who was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him (my right as an individual to decide who I want in my employ). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Just wondering... but why the hell would this have been ok, or he should have gotten off lighter, if the person was LGBT? I could care less if the prson was Michael Clarke Duncan... you don't come back after an incident, punch someone in the face and kick them in the head outside a restaurant. It's called assault, and it's a felony. Why some of you think it would be more forgivable or understandable if the victim was transgendered is beyond me. If anything, in my mind that would make it worse, as under Mass. law it could potentially be a hate crime. That said, according to the judicial system his debt has been paid (whether we agree with the sentence or not). Unless he shows residivist tendencies I can't see how he can perpetually be held to account for one incident. Some criminals do genuinely reform, and that may be the case with Corvo. However, if it was me personally who was the GM, I wouldn't have traded for him (my right as an individual to decide who I want in my employ). 
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Red, to be very clear, I am dead-set against violence brought upon anyone that is undeserving(Matt Cooke is a clear exception). His debt to society may have been paid but, if allegations are true, he'll never gain my respect from a fan's perspective. Guys that do that sort of thing need to be punched hard and often.

Sections
Shortcuts