Bergeron 3-4 years too many

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

Bergeron 3-4 years too many

I think Bergeron is one of the better two way forwards in the league, a classy guy on and off the ice and a leader on the Bruins.  One of my favourite players I bought my 4 year old a Bergeron jersey for his first one.

That all said, I always feel he is one hit away from a concussion that ends his career.   Concussions are the one injury you have to be careful with, just ask Savard.  To give a guy an 8 year contract with the history of concussions is not smart business.  I fear this will haunt us in the later years.  I pray nothing happens but a 4-5 year deal would have been my max.  Good luck, I do love the guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Bergeron 3-4 years too many

What if Rask suffers a high ankle sprain? Thats a goalie killer, and it all it takes is one.

What if Chara gets an errand stick to the eye?

What if in 3-4 years he doesnt have a concussion and is better than he is now? How much will he be offered by another team. Chiarelli took took the "what if" out,

Cant live in a what if world. Gotta go with what is. He is a terriric player, ready to hit his prime.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

How is his concussion history relevant? Every player is one bad hit from retirement and if he gets hurt and can't play anymore then it won't make a difference how long his contract is. Is Savard somehow hampering the way the Bruins do business? If so, it sure doesn't seem like it. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Its a contact sport.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

How is his concussion history relevant? Every player is one bad hit from retirement and if he gets hurt and can't play anymore then it won't make a difference how long his contract is. Is Savard somehow hampering the way the Bruins do business? If so, it sure doesn't seem like it. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

I love it when moronic posters make it so easy to elimate themselves off my screen! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I laugh at the headline.  Poor GM's around here get ripped for dumping key players too soon.  Now we sign one to a long term deal, and the ripping continues!!  NAS is right, this place is great.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to stanjon's comment:

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

I think Bergeron is one of the better two way forwards in the league, a classy guy on and off the ice and a leader on the Bruins.  One of my favourite players I bought my 4 year old a Bergeron jersey for his first one.

That all said, I always feel he is one hit away from a concussion that ends his career.   Concussions are the one injury you have to be careful with, just ask Savard.  To give a guy an 8 year contract with the history of concussions is not smart business.  I fear this will haunt us in the later years.  I pray nothing happens but a 4-5 year deal would have been my max.  Good luck, I do love the guy.

He is definitely is a player at high risk. Everytime he gets a headshot his career may be over. I doubt that any other team would have offered more than 3 years. If he unfortunately does have to retire before contract ends, not too sure the Jacobs will place him on  Ltir

After all the crazy contracts we've seen latley, you dont think another team would offer Bergeron more than 3 years?  I think they'd be lined up at the door.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

Every long term contract is risky but you can't let a guy like Patrice walk.  Ideally a 5 year deal might have been a happy medium but that was not an option in the current market for a player of Bergy's value. If we get from Bergy what we have to date for 5 years I will live with paying a few years at the end where he might not be playing at the same level.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

when i look at deals like this, i think "what would they have gotten on the open market?" bergeron EASILY would have gotten 7 per year. Not sure if Rask would have. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

when i look at deals like this, i think "what would they have gotten on the open market?" bergeron EASILY would have gotten 7 per year. Not sure if Rask would have. 

The second line center with concussion issues would have gotten seven years without a problem but the starting goalie who is coming off an awesome Cup run may not.

Got it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

The second line center with concussion issues would have gotten seven years without a problem but the starting goalie who is coming off an awesome Cup run may not.

Got it.

[/QUOTE]

the second line center (who is probably the best second line center in the game if we're calling him a second line center) has played 579 games over 9 NHL seasons, and got a contract that isn't anywhere within sniffing distance of the highest contract ever for an NHL center, and the goalie has never played more than 45 games in an NHL season just got the biggest contract a goalie has ever got in the NHL as a restricted free agent. I 100% stand by that comment. No NHL team would have given Tuukka the contract he got this year with the bruins, were he an free agent, Bergeron would have and probably more. I also wasn't talking about term, but average annual value. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

the second line center (who is probably the best second line center in the game if we're calling him a second line center) has played 579 games over 9 NHL seasons, and got a contract that isn't anywhere within sniffing distance of the highest contract ever for an NHL center, and the goalie has never played more than 45 games in an NHL season just got the biggest contract a goalie has ever got in the NHL as a restricted free agent. I 100% stand by that comment. No NHL team would have given Tuukka the contract he got this year with the bruins, were he an free agent, Bergeron would have and probably more. I also wasn't talking about term, but average annual value. 

If Rask was demanding $7M, many teams would have been on that, probably offering more.  There are very few amazing NHL goalies.  Most teams would kill for one.

If the 31 year old Mike Smith can draw a six year contract for average $5.6M/yr, why wouldn't a team pay $1.4M more for the 26 year old Rask?

I've read enough about how many games Rask has played.  The B's know what they are getting.  They've watched him a lot more than any of us have.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I would hate to see this guy in another uniform and from what Bergeron has said so would he.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He is definitely is a player at high risk. Everytime he gets a headshot his career may be over. I doubt that any other team would have offered more than 3 years. If he unfortunately does have to retire before contract ends, not too sure the Jacobs will place him on  Ltir

Wow you're delusional - if he hit the market a minimum of 20 teams would have offered 7 years (the max) Ever heard of LTIR? If he gets hurt it doesn't touch the cap.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You might be using Horton as an example but Bergy's concussion if you watched was much more severe and most gms will want to avoid( except for an owner like Snyder) Ltir if they can. No delusion it's business.

No my Comparison is Sid, who has had worse head trauma, and more recently than Patrice.Sid's annual Cap hit is 2.2 million more than Patrice and his contract will end 3 years after Bergeron's does. Bergeron's last severe head injury was was 4.5 years ago. Sid's last severe head injury was 4.5 months ago. there may be some risk, but from a risk-beneft analysis i'm completely fine with Bergeron's new contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Are we getting more comments from the peanut gallery lately ? Bergie's contract is good business as chiarelli continues to build his reputation for smarts. This isn't football, and Bergeron in his mid-thirties will still be great on faceofs, defense and overall skills

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from duckeggs. Show duckeggs's posts

Personally, I think it would have been better if the owners had their way during CBA negotiations and contracts had been limited to 5 years. I have not seen one of these long term deals work out well. Having said taht, if anyone deserves such a contract, it is Patrice Bergeron.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

Bergeron has earned a little job security.  If he does get hurt it won't count towards the cap and he and his family are financially secure.  Great deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KWPatsFan. Show KWPatsFan's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What if Rask suffers a high ankle sprain? Thats a goalie killer, and it all it takes is one.

What if in 3-4 years he doesnt have a concussion and is better than he is now? How much will he be offered by another team. Chiarelli took took the "what if" out,

Cant live in a what if world. Gotta go with what is. He is a terriric player, ready to hit his prime.

-It is a fact that someone who sustains a concussion is more apt to get a second and a third.  So yes it is more risky to have a player with multiple concussions signed through the next 9 years.  Again love Bergeron, but get your head out of the sand this was a risky move.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

-It is a fact that someone who sustains a concussion is more apt to get a second and a third.  So yes it is more risky to have a player with multiple concussions signed through the next 9 years.  Again love Bergeron, but get your head out of the sand this was a risky move.

Perhaps there will be less confusion if you explain how the length of the contract has any bearing on a career threatening injury. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockeymomsrule. Show Hockeymomsrule's posts

[QUOTE]

After all the crazy contracts we've seen latley, you dont think another team would offer Bergeron more than 3 years?  I think they'd be lined up at the door.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. If they had waited until he hit the market, they would have been looking at matching a 7  year/66+mil contract. Higher cap hit, same years for all intents and purposes. The kid has been here since he was 18. He has given this organization, team and us everything he has every second he has been a Bruin, at a significantly lower rate than he could have gotten elsewhere. It was time for the organization to give back to him and guarantee he's able to retire as a lifetime Bruin. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

If Semin is getting 7 m bergie deserves 14 m.  I hate big contracts over a long term but bergie deserves this deal.  Although i likely would ave only done 5-6 max.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

I don't know why people on here can't see that the PB contract is a big risk. When he suffers his next concussion "and he likely will" if it happens to be career threatening similar to Savard's then the LTIR would kick in and there would be no ill effect on the team cap.

But it's a concussion and more often than not predicting how long a player is going to be out is unknown. The team will not go out and spend that money on another player because the return of the injured player is unknown. So on paper it may not count against the cap, but in reality it does count and that hurts the team. 

I guess i could research all the teams that have been in this situation with different types of injuries, but i'm not going to. There are so many examples of this, were would i start.  

PB is not your average player when it comes to this type of injury, he is high risk.

Nothing would make me happier than to have PB prove me wrong, but 9 more years is a long time.

Sections
Shortcuts