Bergeron 3-4 years too many

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Re: Bergeron 3-4 years too many

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

you know, at first i kind of backed off from the term crazy because i thought it was the wrong choice of words. I'm going back to it now. I guess crazy is a way of saying he had a huge change of heart. If this was about money all along why didn't he take the 10 year/100 million from atlanta. If he wanted to give it one last go to get a stanley cup, and play a few years for a contender, why did he set up his contract his contract to be front loaded. The whole thing just seems weird. Given the contract he signed, it appeared that long term security, coupled with a chance to play for a competitive hockey team in the NHL were of paramount importance to Kovalchuk. It seems like he just gave up on all of that. He went crazy, but he'll probably be better off this way. 

So will the Devils down the road. Not for the next 2 or 3 yrs they most likely won't get that offense that IK brings, but he's 30 yrs old & the Devils were possibly going to be stuck with that deal for another 12 yrs. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

you know, at first i kind of backed off from the term crazy because i thought it was the wrong choice of words. I'm going back to it now. I guess crazy is a way of saying he had a huge change of heart. If this was about money all along why didn't he take the 10 year/100 million from atlanta. If he wanted to give it one last go to get a stanley cup, and play a few years for a contender, why did he set up his contract his contract to be front loaded. The whole thing just seems weird. Given the contract he signed, it appeared that long term security, coupled with a chance to play for a competitive hockey team in the NHL were of paramount importance to Kovalchuk. It seems like he just gave up on all of that. He went crazy, but he'll probably be better off this way. 

So will the Devils down the road. Not for the next 2 or 3 yrs they most likely won't get that offense that IK brings, but he's 30 yrs old & the Devils were possibly going to be stuck with that deal for another 12 yrs. 

the devils are way better off. they got him for a bargain for the time they had him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I'm not overly worried about concussions.  Bergeron is several years away from his bad one now and takes hard hits all the time without consequence.  He doesn't look vulnerable to me. Also, anyone can take a bad hit at any time with no history and be done... Savard is a good example.

In reality concussions aren't a big worry on these long contracts because someone who develops bad head issues retires or goes on LTIR so the money can be spent elsewhere.  What is more of a concern are injuries that don't end careers but limit them.  The best example is Lecavalier's shoulder injury.  His ability to score is half of what it was pre-shoulder sugery.  If you have someon in the lineup that isn't bad enough to be out but not good enough to be what they were, that can hurt you big time.

In Bergeron's case he seems to be physically in the best condition of his career.  He's young, so it seems resonable that for the next 5-10 years he should be playing at a high level.  There is a risk that his play may drop off, but the odds are in the favor of the deal working out for the good of the Bruins since most good players don't have a bad injury or major decline in play before 35.

With the league being so close, you do need a bit of luck and need to take some gambles to win the cup.  This is a risk that good odds that could result in championships.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bergeron just played through the playoffs with numerous injuries. This is a testament to the fortitude of the man willing to sacrifice playing for the team. 

The length of the deal ? Love it ! A Bruins lifer.........I hope.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

In response to KWPatsFan's comment:

I think Bergeron is one of the better two way forwards in the league, a classy guy on and off the ice and a leader on the Bruins.  One of my favourite players I bought my 4 year old a Bergeron jersey for his first one.

That all said, I always feel he is one hit away from a concussion that ends his career.   Concussions are the one injury you have to be careful with, just ask Savard.  To give a guy an 8 year contract with the history of concussions is not smart business.  I fear this will haunt us in the later years.  I pray nothing happens but a 4-5 year deal would have been my max.  Good luck, I do love the guy.

A concussion at any stage of anyone's career can be the show stopper. He has a history, but he's really no more likely to have another concussion than the next guy. Susceptible, yes...likely, not so much. Injuries, no matter what they are, threaten every player's career. You pray it never happens, unfortunately, hurts are part of the game.

IMHO, it's a great signing...the guy wants to be a Bruin forever and nobody (Bruin or otherwise) wants to play against him...just too much talent...to say nothing of guts. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have an impersonal trainer. We meet at the gym, we don't talk, he works out alone and I go home. (George Carlin)

It's "Stehno", not "Z-Dayno"!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

that is very possible. In fact, it's probable. Does that make it normal? I'm not saying he's stupid or anything. This is however unorthodox, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the word means. 

Is what normal?  Let's take a look at what happened:

1.  Signs a long term deal.

2.  Gets better offer from preferable location.

3.  Exercises right to take better offer.

Seems normal to me.  I can't think of anyone on the planet who would choose differently.

Just because it is rare or hasn't happened before, it doesn't make it odd or, as you would say, unorthodox.

"unorthodox [ʌnˈɔːθəˌdɒks]adj not conventional in belief, behaviour, custom, etc."

In this case, I wouldn't say that Kovalchuk's actions are "not conventional in belief, behaviour, custom etc".  I do not know of (and if you do, please correct me) any NHL players that signed long term deals for a huge amount of money and then retired from the NHL to return to their home country to play for a similar amount in half the time.

Maybe you should have looked up the word first?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

What Lamouriello did was unconventional.  He released Kovalchuk from his contract and let him 'retire' from the NHL.  I'm not sure where the relationship between the KHL and the NHL is right now, but it would have cause some kind of storm if Kovalchuk had simply taken the better offer and walked away.  GM's customarily fight this kind of thing.  The usually believe they have contract that should be honoured and behave accordingly.

Bergeron's deal is just fine.

Are you not entertained?!?!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

that is very possible. In fact, it's probable. Does that make it normal? I'm not saying he's stupid or anything. This is however unorthodox, anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what the word means. 

Is what normal?  Let's take a look at what happened:

1.  Signs a long term deal.

2.  Gets better offer from preferable location.

3.  Exercises right to take better offer.

Seems normal to me.  I can't think of anyone on the planet who would choose differently.

Just because it is rare or hasn't happened before, it doesn't make it odd or, as you would say, unorthodox.

"unorthodox [ʌnˈɔːθəˌdɒks]adj not conventional in belief, behaviour, custom, etc."

In this case, I wouldn't say that Kovalchuk's actions are "not conventional in belief, behaviour, custom etc".  I do not know of (and if you do, please correct me) any NHL players that signed long term deals for a huge amount of money and then retired from the NHL to return to their home country to play for a similar amount in half the time.

Maybe you should have looked up the word first?

oh so NEVER having occured before doesn't make it an odd behavior?yup. sounds good. we'll leave it at that. also, we don't know what the dollar figures are on the deal. I can try find out, but we don't know yet. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

oh so NEVER having occured before doesn't make it an odd behavior?yup. sounds good. we'll leave it at that. also, we don't know what the dollar figures are on the deal. I can try find out, but we don't know yet. 

The reports say anywhere from $10-15M.  Things happen for the first time often.  It doesn't make them odd.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The reports say anywhere from $10-15M.  Things happen for the first time often.  It doesn't make them odd.

things that happen for a first time are not a "conventional behavior" 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The situation is a first.  The players reaction is conventional or unconventional.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

The situation is a first.  The players reaction is conventional or unconventional.

the decision kovalchuk made might make sense for him. In fact, I think it does. This is pretty much a win-win for everyone. However, like you said it's a first. and that right there makes it unconventional 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

No, a first like this has no convention against which it can be judged.  Unusual, perhaps, but even then - state your parameters.  I can think of a number of ways to look at precedents, not least of which is Nathan Horton - players who have chosen a particular location for family reasons rather than competitive ones.  Pronger - had good money on his deal with the Oil and asked to go play south of the border for family reasons.  Heck, there's talk that both Bure and Kovalchuk elected to leave money on the table with other franchises to play in NY/NJ to be close to the ex-pat Russian community.

Are you not entertained?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

the decision kovalchuk made might make sense for him. In fact, I think it does. This is pretty much a win-win for everyone. However, like you said it's a first. and that right there makes it unconventional 

If this is the first time it's happened, and Kovalchuk's actions were unconventional, what would the conventional action would have been?  You know, all the other times this has happened?

Sections
Shortcuts