Bergeron: A Star Reborn

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Bergeron: A Star Reborn

"A couple of years back I was putting up those numbers. To be honest with you, I never stop thinking about that." -Patrice Bergeron

That was PB's response to a question concerning his recent production. As humble of a player he is he recognizes the talent he has. He know he can be a star in this league. He's accomplished so much so young. The concussion obviously set him back. However, Bergeron has recovered fully and he is showing it on the score-sheet. Hopefully, he becomes that point/gm player many thought he would be.

Sounds to me like he uses his early success as a measuring stick and motivation, good for the kid.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LordBruin. Show LordBruin's posts

Re: Bergeron: A Star Reborn

"Bergy" pretty much is our most complete 3 zone player we have on our team. I am absolutely thrilled that he has come back from his concussion problems and has demostrated hard excellent disiplined work ethic as well as deserves the "A" on his jersey and could potentially 1 day be a solid "C" man!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I may be laughed at for saying this, but in terms of being integral to the team and it's identity and style, he's the current generation of Bruins' Ray Bourque. I truly believe that.

I just hope that unlike Ray he can retire here and get his Cup here.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron: A Star Reborn:
    I said from Day 1 this season that the only forward that is OFF LIMITS in any trade consideration is Bergy.  End of story.  Not even for Crosby if the Pens eat the salary difference.   Whether he goes on point streaks or not, he is the consummate leader of our offense.  He has the grit, hustle and effort of a young Recchi.  He must retire in Black and Gold.
    Posted by ipot

Earlier on this season,I was starting to get tired of having to defend Bergeron from all those who claimed he was overpaid and overrated.He's Bostons' best forward and,if anything,is underrated as far as I'm concerned.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

most complete player in hockey...ask team canada...was he on that team for his scoring prowess? his passing? his defense? his nuetral zone play? his leadership? his discipline? the answer is all of the above. if daytsuk was the most complete(on the tail end of his career), patrice is now the total package guy, hopefully for the next 10-12 years... and a cup or two! remember he's still a youngster

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I may be laughed at for saying this, but in terms of being integral to the team and it's identity and style, he's the current generation of Bruins' Ray Bourque. I truly believe that. I just hope that unlike Ray he can retire here and get his Cup here.
    Posted by red75

Couldnt agree more, I have said all along give him time and IMO the best 3 zone player in the NHL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Now if the if Krejci heats up like he did after the Olympics last winter look out this team will be on all cylinders (cept for a PP QB). I really didn't watch allot of the Bs when Patrice had his best statistical year with Sturm and Boyes cause I was still POd about the Thornton trade so I can't say he's playing allot better but man does he look good right now. This is the team I expected to be more like the 09' team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Added to his many talents is the fact that he works hard ALL the time, every game.  

Bergeron is the quintessential Bruin and heart of the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I was going to start a thread with a poll - I may still - but:

Bergeron's now "on pace" for 30 goals (29.96 to be accurate). 

As of Dec. 15th, PB had 14 points in 29 games and was looking at a 40 point season - now in his rearview.  SINCE Dec. 15th, he's been scoring at 1.26 ppg (29 points in 23 games).  That would get him to 103 points over a whole season.  With 30 games left in the year, that pace would get him to almost exactly a point/game pace for the whole year - 81.8 points.  If he cools off to an average of his first 29 games and the last 23, he's looking at 69 points.

This means Bergeron has a real shot at having a career year in points (career best is 73) and maybe also in goals.  His goalscoring pace since Dec. 15th would give him 18 goals over the last 30 games - 37 on the year (topping his 31).

If he tops 30 goals - which I think is quite realistic - and 70 points, don't you think he's got to be a Selke finalist at very least?  Right now he's 13th overall in +/- and I'd have to think his only real competition is Kesler.  Lady Byng's on the table too - Bergeron has 16 Pims which projects to about 25 for the year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

I was going to start a thread with a poll - I may still - but: Bergeron's now "on pace" for 30 goals (29.96 to be accurate).  As of Dec. 15th, PB had 14 points in 29 games and was looking at a 40 point season - now in his rearview.  SINCE Dec. 15th, he's been scoring at 1.26 ppg (29 points in 23 games).  That would get him to 103 points over a whole season.  With 30 games left in the year, that pace would get him to almost exactly a point/game pace for the whole year - 81.8 points.  If he cools off to an average of his first 29 games and the last 23, he's looking at 69 points. This means Bergeron has a real shot at having a career year in points (career best is 73) and maybe also in goals.  His goalscoring pace since Dec. 15th would give him 18 goals over the last 30 games - 37 on the year (topping his 31). If he tops 30 goals - which I think is quite realistic - and 70 points, don't you think he's got to be a Selke finalist at very least?  Right now he's 13th overall in +/- and I'd have to think his only real competition is Kesler.  Lady Byng's on the table too - Bergeron has 16 Pims which projects to about 25 for the year.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Funny thing is, Bergeron does everything you mentioned playing about 16-17min a game. Compare that to other players around the league who have same number of points? 20-22min a game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

He couldn't get on the ice for Canada. He's good but not great. For two years I have been saying put him with somebody who has a clue and he will be productive. Thank you Marchand! If you can avoid playing with Wheeler you have a good chance to score on this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

nash99... lets get one thing straight...other people don't make patrice better...HE makes THEM better!  why am i even responding to you? serenity now, serenity now

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

If you can avoid playing with Wheeler you have a good chance to score on this team.
    Posted by nash99

lol! Now this I can agree with.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Lady Bing and Selke in the same year has that happened ? That is crazy because with Bergeron's minutes and his physical (not an open ice hitter no but) play those two awards just don't mesh.

What helps is Marchand has a centers mind so he can create that's fine because Patrice has a lethal onetimer. This is why I didn't go crazy when Chiarelli drafted centers Knight and Spooner they can create on wing as they develop. Man I thought Bergeron and Caron's brains were wired together not as much as Marchand and Patrice's.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmanning. Show tmmanning's posts

I find it interesting that he is on pace to tie his career high in goals and that in his first few years his stats were heavy on the power play. he was like a pitching machine firing shots from the point but now you have more capable defensemen who can do that. This year he is scoring goals in in front of the net and from the circles. Only 3pp goals this year compared to 12/14 in 05/06....although that doesnt say much for the Bruins Power play

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Berg is 7th with a +- of 23, 1 behind 2nd of which March and Chara are tied at 24, 3 behind 1st Meszaros a +26.

March`s speed has helped big time, moving this line, Rec has knowledge and experience, but a younger faster version would be even better.

Berg is not a version of Rec of any decade, Rec put up better numbers and was considered a sniper and star.  Berg is the complete hockey player and there have not been that many thru my years of watching, that makes all around him better and not just offensively.  He has every trophy he wants except 1 the Stanley.

Selke and Byng are nice, but he needs Stanley.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I find it interesting that he is on pace to tie his career high in goals and that in his first few years his stats were heavy on the power play. he was like a pitching machine firing shots from the point but now you have more capable defensemen who can do that. This year he is scoring goals in in front of the net and from the circles. Only 3pp goals this year compared to 12/14 in 05/06....although that doesnt say much for the Bruins Power play
    Posted by tmmanning

Good point.  It's also a factor in his +/-; he was a huge minus in his 70pt. season - on a bad team.  And if we're being optimistic, let's say it says a lot for the Bruins' ability to score 5 on 5!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fp4778. Show fp4778's posts

The guy just gives it his all. Even when he is struggling you can tell he is trying his best. Never a floater, never a whiner , never makes excuses and never a jerk. He earns his pay cheque and is simply the best all around player they have.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I have been waiting too long for a Stanley Cup.  If Bergeron has discovered his old self, even with Marchand etc. as complimentary pieces, I am all for it.  I will go on record to say:  The Bs will go as far a Bergeron can take them.  Stanley Cup!  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Lady Bing and Selke in the same year has that happened ? That is crazy because with Bergeron's minutes and his physical (not an open ice hitter no but) play those two awards just don't mesh. What helps is Marchand has a centers mind so he can create that's fine because Patrice has a lethal onetimer. This is why I didn't go crazy when Chiarelli drafted centers Knight and Spooner they can create on wing as they develop. Man I thought Bergeron and Caron's brains were wired together not as much as Marchand and Patrice's.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

It's happened twice and both times were quite recently. Datsyuk pulled off this odd combination in both 2008 and 2009. He would have had a hatrick last year if St. Louis had not scored 94 pts. with only 12 PIM.

That said, either Mike Lundin or Loui Eriksson will likely get the Byng this year - both have played every game for their clubs so far, both have averaged over 20 minutes on the ice, and both only have 4 PIM.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Eriksson I could see, but the voters do tend to take other factors into account rather than just Pims.  I remember there was a campaign one year to give Bourque the Byng because he played so many minutes at such a high level and took a miniscule number of Pims for a defenseman.  I'd hope Bergeron's shut-down role would be a factor.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron: A Star Reborn : It's happened twice and both times were quite recently. Datsyuk pulled off this odd combination in both 2008 and 2009. He would have had a hatrick last year if St. Louis had not scored 94 pts. with only 12 PIM. Posted by red75

I consider Datsyuk a special talent that is quit a feat especially in 2008. For Bergy Lady, Selke and Stanley in the same season even better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I was going to start a thread with a poll - I may still - but: Bergeron's now "on pace" for 30 goals (29.96 to be accurate).  As of Dec. 15th, PB had 14 points in 29 games and was looking at a 40 point season - now in his rearview.  SINCE Dec. 15th, he's been scoring at 1.26 ppg (29 points in 23 games).  That would get him to 103 points over a whole season.  With 30 games left in the year, that pace would get him to almost exactly a point/game pace for the whole year - 81.8 points.  If he cools off to an average of his first 29 games and the last 23, he's looking at 69 points. This means Bergeron has a real shot at having a career year in points (career best is 73) and maybe also in goals.  His goalscoring pace since Dec. 15th would give him 18 goals over the last 30 games - 37 on the year (topping his 31). If he tops 30 goals - which I think is quite realistic - and 70 points, don't you think he's got to be a Selke finalist at very least?  Right now he's 13th overall in +/- and I'd have to think his only real competition is Kesler.  Lady Byng's on the table too - Bergeron has 16 Pims which projects to about 25 for the year.
    Posted by Bookboy007

I agree BB! Just to add to your Selke idea. When Bergy put up the 70 & 73 point seasons. He was a -28 & a +3 respectively. He's at a +23 right now. It's very clear who the best centerman on this team is. Why people debate that is beyond me. Unless PB lays a couple more beat downs on Gorges I bet he doesn't break the 20 pims.

Sections
Shortcuts