Bergeron Extension News (Possible)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bergeron Extension News (Possible)

I just remembered this.

Last night on the radio, Bob Beers mentioned in passing that unconfirmed reports have the B's in negotiation with Bergeron for an eight year deal.  He emphasized how unconfirmed it was, calling it rumblings and whatever else.  It's not like Beers is going to say something on the air that is completely false.

Bergeron for eight years?  He'd be 37 when the deal ended.  Sort of fitting, I suppose.  That's a hell of a long time to commit to any player, but I think we know what this one brings.  Unlike the snipers that fall from grace quickly, Bergeron's talents can translate into the skills of an older player as well.

Eight years, huh?  I'm in.

Make it happen.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Re: Bergeron Extension News (Possible)

Im in. I think Rasks impending contract is going up each game as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Overall, sounds good but itt depends on the cap hit. 48 million for 8 years would be great: Bruins get value early and Bergeron gets value later on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

Might this be a way to keep more of the core in place? Maybe his deal frees up money for next years low cap? Assuming of course that the long term deal lowers his average under the new deal as compared to what he'd have under his current. I don't know the rules though, just surmising.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Bergeron a Bruins lifer ? Do it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

That would be great.  Bergeron should be the captain when Chara retires.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:

Might this be a way to keep more of the core in place? Maybe his deal frees up money for next years low cap? Assuming of course that the long term deal lowers his average under the new deal as compared to what he'd have under his current. I don't know the rules though, just surmising.

A new deal wouldn't change his current deal.  It would start when the current deal runs out.  The NHL insisted upon this to prevent KTF (Keith Tkachuk Followers) from holding out for better deals while they are currently under contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And keep in mind:  It doesn't matter what the cap hit will be.  Whatever it is, it will be the cost associated with keeping the player.  If you want Bergeron on the team for the rest of his career, the cap space his contract takes will be irrelevant.

I'm confident it will be a fair deal for both sides.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

I heard something like this on TSN too. Just a panel of guys chatting basically and one of them said he would be surprised if they didn't already have a deal worked out, and were waiting for the 5th. Wouldn't he be 36 when it expired though? 27, 9 more years?

Anyway, 44-48 million over 8 soudns great to me. Maybe you can get him to take the 44 if you give him as much as you can up front. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

That would be great news especially after a Cup win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In response to Mutant211's comment:

That would be great.  Bergeron should be the captain when Chara retires.

in the shape he's in, Big Z might be around for quite a while yet....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

That would be testing the new CBA maximum contract length.  Love the idea of Bergeron playing his entire career with the B's.  The term is long, would be great if that annual cap hit is manageable.  Probably comes with an NTC as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Makes sense Patrice has earned it! Someone will have to be a casualty with the cap going down becuase Chiarelli cannot put himself back into the cap woes he put himself into in 2009 and 2010.

PS. PC giving out a NMC/NTC should never be a surprise, Bergeron would just be the right player to do it with.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I just remembered this.

Last night on the radio, Bob Beers mentioned in passing that unconfirmed reports have the B's in negotiation with Bergeron for an eight year deal.  He emphasized how unconfirmed it was, calling it rumblings and whatever else.  It's not like Beers is going to say something on the air that is completely false.

Bergeron for eight years?  He'd be 37 when the deal ended.  Sort of fitting, I suppose.  That's a hell of a long time to commit to any player, but I think we know what this one brings.  Unlike the snipers that fall from grace quickly, Bergeron's talents can translate into the skills of an older player as well.

Eight years, huh?  I'm in.

Make it happen.

This is a no doubter - yes get it done!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Bergeron a Bruins lifer ? Do it.

I second that Chowda. Bergeron as been my favourite Bruin since his arrival. There's nothing to dislike in his game and he gives back off of the ice. He should be a role model for all of the other pro athletes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

And keep in mind:  It doesn't matter what the cap hit will be.  Whatever it is, it will be the cost associated with keeping the player.  If you want Bergeron on the team for the rest of his career, the cap space his contract takes will be irrelevant.

I disagree with this thought process.  I love Bergeron.  He is my favorite player.  The cap hit still matters to me.  I would be pissed if we gave him Crosby/Malkin money.  I do think he is the most steady forward on this team.  I think his value as a forward is equal to Lucic's value and Krejci's.  I could live with 6.5 mil per year, making your 8/48 a great deal in my book.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to RickyHussle's comment:

I disagree with this thought process.  I love Bergeron.  He is my favorite player.  The cap hit still matters to me.  I would be pissed if we gave him Crosby/Malkin money.  I do think he is the most steady forward on this team.  I think his value as a forward is equal to Lucic's value and Krejci's.  I could live with 6.5 mil per year, making your 6/48 a great deal in my book.

That was sort of my point, Ricky.  Every contract Bergeron has signed has been fair to both sides.  This one should be no different.  It's not reasonable that Bergeron would be signed for $8M+ a year, so there isn't any reason to worry about it.

I wrote that post (not clear enough ha ha) to remove all of the "only if the cap hit..." statements were sure to follow.  No matter what the deal is, however, at least 1/4 of the posts about it will say, "Just a tad high" and "It's more than I would have liked to have seen..."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

That was sort of my point, Ricky.  Every contract Bergeron has signed has been fair to both sides.  This one should be no different.  It's not reasonable that Bergeron would be signed for $8M+ a year, so there isn't any reason to worry about it.

I wrote that post (not clear enough ha ha) to remove all of the "only if the cap hit..." statements were sure to follow.  No matter what the deal is, however, at least 1/4 of the posts about it will say, "Just a tad high" and "It's more than I would have liked to have seen..."

Fair enough, I understand your point and agree. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Bergeron is one of few players that probably nobody would complain about the cap hit, regardless of what he signs for. Like NAS says, his contracts to date have been good for everyone. Can't see that changing in the future. Imagine the offers from around the league that he would get. PC won't let him go anywhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

There's 2 players I want to see retire a Bruin. Then their #'s very close behind. Bergeron & Chara. Make it happen PC. 

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

He's a real, genuine team guy. Doesn't come off as unloyal or greedy to me. I think if he wants to stay his entire career, PC will make it happen and it will be a fair deal for both sides.

Amazingly complete player. In 8-10 years from now, he'll be the team veteran like Recchi was. Think of all the young guys that will be coming up over the next decade and how they will profit and learn from having a role model like that on the team.

Bruin for life and I have absolutely no problem with that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

I am a huge Bergeron fan, and if you are committing to a player for 8 years, I cannot think of a guy I would be more comfortable with.

I think he will be worth his contract, just for mentoring the young Centers that come in, on positioning and faceoffs. Even on how an NHL player should conduct themselves.

At the end of his career, he could probably transition into coaching, if he desired to go that route.

I still think the 8 year maximum length of contract, was a huge blunder, by the NHL. They should have understood that every Agent would begin every negotiation with, "My client wants an 8 year term, or above market value, if he signs for less than 8 years".

IMO, the league has really handcuffed the GM's.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Huge Bergeron supporter.  My daughter is his age, as a rookie I said to her Bergeron is going to be a special player.  She being a teenager looked at something else.  She is married now, wears a signed Bergeron jersey to the games I purchased etc.  

That said any contract over 4 years must be looked at with a great deal of scrutiny!  I would pass on 8 years.  

Don't judge me monkey!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Great news if true, Bergeron is and has been his entire career a true professional on and off the ice.There is no better role model on the B's right now who can show young players coming into the Bruins system what type of commitment it takes to be a professional player and how to remain one.I'm all for this deal and if he signs a cap friendly deal,great. I think Bergeron has been a great Bruin and i think he is loyal because the B's organization has been loyal to him in return, sticking with him through injuries and recovery time and treating him right.Bergeron retiring with the B's is allright in my book.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Whatever the hit, it'll be a sweet deal by the time Bergeron's 32.  Look at Savard's hit.  $4M?  For a guy who was the #1 C and the cornerstone of the offense when he signed?  Same deal with Bergeron, I'm guessing.  Malkin, Perry, Getzlaf - these deals are signs that the owners have seen credible revenue projections and are not worried.

I could write a novel about how good the guy is.  I officially revoke my earlier position that I would accept, if not welcome, a Bergeron for Toews deal.  I'll leave it at the fact that, for all the dominance of Krejci-Lucic-Horton these playoffs, Quenneville deploys Keith and Seabrook against Bergeron.

Are you not entertained?!?!

Sections
Shortcuts