Bergeron in the All-Star game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game?

In Response to Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game?:
    [QUOTE]You guys are a riot.  Bergeron is playing a great three zone game, but that's not what the All-Star game is all about.  Now, they might select him, they might not. Matt Moulson is having a decent year, so is Patrik Elias.  James Neal is looking pretty good along with Jamie Benn and Jordan Eberle.  I think they'll go with a more exciting player from a team that isn't already sending three players.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    Benn is already on the team and Eberle is still day to day with a knee injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Benn just had an appendectomy, so he might not be ready for the All-Star game either.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game? : I sort of agree, but none of the players you mentioned has a solid shot of walking across the stage and accepting an NHL award this summer - Bergeron does (Selke). If you're good enough to be in the early shortlist for an award as the best at something in the whole league, isn't that what an all-star is?
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

At the end of the year, the NHL names it's first and second team All-Stars.  Those are the ones that matter.  This is a circus side show for the fans.  No one cares that Bergeron is great in all three zones at the All-Star game.  They don't have any cool defensive games in the skills competition.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I think the fans would too... Bergeron can do what??? The All-stars a showcase. Like Z is a captain because he's flashy? Put the best available players there, regardless of style (Madden should have had more kicks at it in his prime). A lot of folks will be surprised by what some of the defensive guys can do when they don't have to worry about a system.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Chara is a captain for many reasons.  He's a a Norris Trophy winner and candidate.  He's pretty good offensively.  He's a former Senator. 

Is there a reason for him not to be?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree with you on what all-star teams actually matter. My point on Chara was that good defensive play can be awarded in this circus as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with you on what all-star teams actually matter. My point on Chara was that good defensive play can be awarded in this circus as well.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Do you see a lot of stay at home defensemen in the ASG? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toyopet. Show toyopet's posts

[QUOTE]I think Z's there solely on the fact he can shoot 105 mph.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

he's also +25

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Now Benn and Ovie are out as well. Eberle, Letang, and Hartnell have already been added. Surely Bergie gets one of those next two spots.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Chara is one of the most recognizable players in the NHL. Of course he goes to All-star games. I think Bergeron may replace Ovie.  While his bread and butter is his all-around game, his offence alone is impressive this year.  Winning the cup has given him a lot of cred.  In the past no way, but I think now opinions of him are high that fans would enjoy him there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Chara is one of the most recognizable players in the NHL. Of course he goes to All-star games. I think Bergeron may replace Ovie.  While his bread and butter is his all-around game, his offence alone is impressive this year.  Winning the cup has given him a lot of cred.  In the past no way, but I think now opinions of him are high that fans would enjoy him there.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]
    Oates, I watched the NJ feed when the Bruins played them last week. The announcer said that he asked Brodeur who the player to watch on Boston was and without hesitation he replied, "Bergeron. The guy does it all out there". It seems to me the other players are fully aware of what Bergeron brings to the table. It's about time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

It's telling that he was picked for the Olympic squad over flashy names. That said, no one cares in the ASG.

I'd still have picked him before Seguin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]It's telling that he was picked for the Olympic squad over flashy names. That said, no one cares in the ASG. I'd still have picked him before Seguin.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Bergeron will be a mainstay on that team at least through 2018, if not beyond, Mainly because the Folks in charge at Hockey Canada know exactly what he brings to the game, and they'll want at least two or three players with Toews and Bergie's skill sets. They're the most all round players that Canada has right now and that's not going to change any time soon. As long as they want some strong three zone presence and go to guys for key defensive zone faceoffs, they'll have a spot.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Dez bergeron is a 3 zone excellent player and your telling my he doesnt or shouldnt get the nod to play ? I dont get it, allstar players in the league include the  likes of bergeron. Bergeron will be a hall of famer based on those 3 zones.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Dez bergeron is a 3 zone excellent player and your telling my he doesnt or shouldnt get the nod to play ? I dont get it, allstar players in the league include the  likes of bergeron. Bergeron will be a hall of famer based on those 3 zones.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]
    Wally, I'm not sure why you think I don't see him as deserving. There is no bigger supporter of Bergeron than me.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game? : Wally, I'm not sure why you think I don't see him as deserving. There is no bigger supporter of Bergeron than me.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

For as long as I have been reading your posts there hasnt been a bigger supporter.  Sometimes when you do everything in every aspect of the game well it goes unnoticed.  My man crush on Datsyuk is for all the reasons I like Bergie but Datsyuk still has the wow factor.  Most smart hockey people wanna watch a guy like Bergie play...problem is a majority of the fans dont see it.  They see a Ovie rush where he does 500 moves and shoots a big boomer. Ask me today who I want as a 2nd line center and I will answer it 99% of the time with Bergie. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

When a player is good enough to play for an Olympic team and not an all-star game, that should tell you all you need to know about the all-star selection process.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game? : For as long as I have been reading your posts there hasnt been a bigger supporter.  Sometimes when you do everything in every aspect of the game well it goes unnoticed.  My man crush on Datsyuk is for all the reasons I like Bergie but Datsyuk still has the wow factor.  Most smart hockey people wanna watch a guy like Bergie play...problem is a majority of the fans dont see it.  They see a Ovie rush where he does 500 moves and shoots a big boomer. Ask me today who I want as a 2nd line center and I will answer it 99% of the time with Bergie. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

We're two years out almost to the day from the Sochi Games, so at this date it's almost impossible to predict those teams. But at this point I'd say the closest players there are to locks for their respective teams are Datsyuk, Toews, Kesler, and Bergeron. Not because they're all the games best stars (though a very good argument could be made for Datsyuk) but because of the skill sets they bring to those teams. It's not the average fans who pick those teams, it's the best hockey minds in the world, and they know that to win at that level you need players who can do what those four can do (And I'm not the biggest Kesler fan, but he's the best player of that style that the US has). And it doesn't hurt that Bergeron is a member of the very exclusive three golds and a Cup club.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Checked it, and there's only 7 players who have the Stanley Cup and WHC, Olympic, and WJHC gold, and Bergeron's one of them (as is Toews - Toews also has U17 gold).
    The others are Neidermayer, Staal, Sakic, Fetisov, and Larionov. Can't get much more exclusive, and proof of being a winner, than that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron in the All-Star game? : We're two years out almost to the day from the Sochi Games, so at this date it's almost impossible to predict those teams. But at this point I'd say the closest players there are to locks for their respective teams are Datsyuk, Toews, Kesler, and Bergeron. Not because they're all the games best stars (though a very good argument could be made for Datsyuk) but because of the skill sets they bring to those teams. It's not the average fans who pick those teams, it's the best hockey minds in the world, and they know that to win at that level you need players who can do what those four can do (And I'm not the biggest Kesler fan, but he's the best player of that style that the US has). And it doesn't hurt that Bergeron is a member of the very exclusive three golds and a Cup club.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Not always. Ray Bourque should not be shooting in a penalty shot over wayne gretzky. Gretzky had more goals than all the 5 shooters combined.

But since you went 2014 on me.

Crosby/Toews/Stampkos/Bergie likely get my 4 center spots.  Problem with Canada is that they likely will have a full team of centers.  The talent Canada has is just crazy.  Which is even a bigger compliment for Bergie. 
    Again, sometimes the jack of all trades(master of none) can hurt a guy.  Fans want a player like Rob Schremp who can flip a puck on his stick.  No argument that Bergie is an allstar.  But fans dont wanna see someone win a faceoff, or be good in their own end. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Boycott ALLSTAR GAME...Said it before...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Dez bergeron is a 3 zone excellent player and your telling my he doesnt or shouldnt get the nod to play ? I dont get it, allstar players in the league include the  likes of bergeron. Bergeron will be a hall of famer based on those 3 zones.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

One Team Canada selection, zero trophies, and low(er) point totals don't make someone a Hall of Fame candidate.