Bergeron Injury Update - Suffers minor concussion Out approx. 2 weeks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Bergeron Injury Update - Suffers minor concussion Out approx. 2 weeks

Hockey insider says Bergeron suffered minor concussion when he was hit by Grioux early in the 3rd period. The early prognosis is that he will be out for approximately two weeks and will play with a cage helmet.

Overall, it is good news that he will play again this season. The NHL will require him the sit out mandatory one full week. There was concern that Bergy may have also suffered a broken nose however there seems to be no truth to that.

Considering that there is about a week before the Tampa series begin, he should be back to play against Tampa in the middle of the series. In the meantime, Seguin will suit up. He will provide more speed and energy, however Bergy winning the face-offs will be dearly missed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and feels dizzy

Link Please

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Usually a broken nose is like a blood faucet.  Didn't look that way to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and feels dizzy:
    [QUOTE]Link Please
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Please verify this.
    Gotta admit to being worried about this. Just when I am finally starting to believe.
     Son of a b*tch!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

don't believe it..................

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]Usually a broken nose is like a blood faucet.  Didn't look that way to me.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Depends upon where its broken. They dont always leak.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and feels dizzy : Depends upon where its broken. They dont always leak.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

And that is clearly denoted with my statement of "usually".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrEspoCash. Show OrrEspoCash's posts

Add Giroux to the growing list of rats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=562191

Would be nice to know who this hockey insider is because if true, this is major news.  Even the official Bruin site has no word last I looked which was moments ago.  The above was posted at 1:45 A. M.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Add Giroux to the growing list of rats.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

I would take him in a minute.  Skill up the wazoo and likes to hit as well. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBostonBruins. Show TheBostonBruins's posts

Sometimes I feel like this team is cursed. I mean, really, who else makes it to the conference finals for the first time in 19 years, then has to play with two of their top three centers out of the lineup. Us missing Bergeron and Savard would be like the Bolts missing Stamkos and Lecavalier, or the Sharks down Thornton and Marleau, or the 'nucks missing the Sedin twins. Unf*cking real. We just can't get a f*cking break.

I really really REALLY hope Bergeron is okay. If the week absence guess turns out to be true, then hopefully the San Jose/Detroit and Vancouver/Nashville series both go 7 games. The more time off the Bruins get, obviously the better. If we catch a major break here, maybe 37 would only miss a couple of games against the Lightning. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

What a pi$$off. There just has to be something to throw a damper on a series clinching win like this. FACK!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

If you saw the hit, it was a clean upper body check. Unfortunately, due to his history of past concussions the check was magnified by the impact of his fall on the ice. No worries, Bergy will play in the Tampa series.

[QUOTE]Add Giroux to the growing list of rats.
    Posted by OrrEspoCash[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Its been on the local Boston radio stations this morning.

[QUOTE]http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=562191 Would be nice to know who this hockey insider is because if true, this is major news.  Even the official Bruin site has no word last I looked which was moments ago.  The above was posted at 1:45 A. M.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Not from team, but top source has confirmed Bergeron concussion.""

All I could find...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Hockey Insider and the local Boston radio stations.

[QUOTE]Link Please
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion

Although everyone would rather have Bergeron, it's not like last year where you had to go to Whitfield.  Seguin is a pretty reasonable guy to put in the line up and especially against Tampa he would be much better to match up.

I missed the game last night, but from all accounts I've heard it's something not obviously horrible.

Of course I'm speculating obviously, but it just has a look and feel of something that will be ok in weeks, not months and Seguin can fill in pretty decent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Bad,
    Losing Bergie is worse than losing anyone not named Chara and TT.  I am very bummed out.  Seguin can't fill anyones shoes at the moment other than Thorton. 

Not in a great mood hearing this news

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camperpete. Show Camperpete's posts

Bergy will be out of the line up for approx 2 weeks. The Bruins will definitely miss his face-off presence. Seguin provides more speed and energy. However, his lack of playoff experience could hurt the B's.

In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion:
    [QUOTE]Although everyone would rather have Bergeron, it's not like last year where you had to go to Whitfield.  Seguin is a pretty reasonable guy to put in the line up and especially against Tampa he would be much better to match up. I missed the game last night, but from all accounts I've heard it's something not obviously horrible. Of course I'm speculating obviously, but it just has a look and feel of something that will be ok in weeks, not months and Seguin can fill in pretty decent.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion:
    [QUOTE]Bad, Losing Bergie is worse than losing anyone not named Chara and TT.  I am very bummed out.  Seguin can't fill anyones shoes at the moment other than Thorton.  Not in a great mood hearing this news
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

It just doesn't seem like Bergeron will be out for long.
    I think Seguin could outproduce Thornton and Paille.
    I think they can hold their own against Tampa without Bergeron for 2-3 games.
    And it is possible Seguin could play better than he has all year.

And yah, it is Bergeron, but it's not Bergeron AND someone AND someone else like last year.

This isn't a coffin nail.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FanfromGWN. Show FanfromGWN's posts

Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Suffers minor concussion Out approx. 2 weeks

In Response to Bergeron Injury Update - Suffers minor concussion Out approx. 2 weeks:
    [QUOTE]Hockey insider says Bergeron suffered a broken nose and felt dizzy when he was hit by Grioux early in the 3rd period. The early prognosis is that he will be out for approximately one week and will play with a cage helmet. Overall, it is good news. It appears that he suffered a minor concussion, therefore the NHL will require him the sit out one full week. There is a good chance Bergy will be back to play against Tampa.
    Posted by Camperpete[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

< Back to front page Text size +

Source: Patrice Bergeron has concussion

Posted by Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff May 7, 2011 10:02 AM

E-mail this article

To:
    Invalid email address
    Add a personal message: Your e-mail:
    Invalid email address

Sending your article

Your article has been sent.

Per the Globe's Kevin Paul Dupont via Twitter moments ago: "Not from team, but top source has confirmed Bergeron concussion."

Bergeron was knocked out early in the third period when he was leveled by Flyers right wing Claude Giroux.

Looking woozy and glassy-eyed after getting smacked to the ice in the left circle in the Bruins’ zone, the 25-year-old Bergeron gained his feet after a few seconds and skated slowly but deliberately to the bench.

Without stopping, the dogged center, by far the club’s MVP in the postseason, made his way straight to the dressing room — still under his own power — and was not seen for the rest of the night.

Bergeron lost virtually all of the 2007-08 season due to a severe concussion as the result of a hit from then-Flyers defenseman Randy Jones.

Rookie Tyler Seguin, who hasn’t played yet this postseason for the Bruins, may be called on to substitute for Bergeron.

We'll have more from the Globe reporters on this shortly.

Material from today's On Hockey was used in this report.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion:[QUOTE]Although everyone would rather have Bergeron, it's not like last year where you had to go to Whitfield. Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Don't be to sure about Julien with using Trent when considering how he feels about playing rookies. Yes Claude can still mistakes that will affect the Bruins playoff run.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bergy will be out of the line up for approx 2 weeks. The Bruins will definitely miss his face-off presence. Seguin provides more speed and energy. However, his lack of playoff experience could hurt the B's. In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion :
    Posted by Camperpete[/QUOTE]

2 weeks?  I'm not prepared to think about that.

I'll have to do some serious back peddling if its 2 weeks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bergeron Injury Update - Broken nose and suffers minor concussion : 2 weeks?  I'm not prepared to think about that. I'll have to do some serious back peddling if its 2 weeks.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

oh.  Just saw that source posted.

My typical optimism just got flattened some.

I'm going to have to take some time to digest this.

Damn.  I am bumming out all of a sudden.

I feel like kicking someone named Anthony in an undisclosed lower body area.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Hopefully one of the series left in the west will go seven games. 

This is a pretty big blow, let's not kid ourselves.  He's the top point guy, top center, faceoff magician, powerplay and shorthanded stalwart.  It's not that he won't be easily replaced, it's that he won't be at all.

Thanks, Randy Jones.

Sections
Shortcuts