Bergeron is a Selke finalist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Bergeron is a Selke finalist

No surprise there!  And he deserves to win it.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=629239&navid=DL|BOS|home

Also not surprising to hear his humble, team-first response when asked about it.  He just oozes class.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/04/23/bruins-bergeron-named-selke-finalist/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Bergeron is a Selke finalist

No shock, figure it should be Bergie, with Backes as the runner-up. Though Datsyuk could win it based purely on reputation, like Lidstrom did with the Norris when he was a minus player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think everyone is realize just how good Bergeron really is. He got his name out after the finals last year so more people took notice of how consistantly excellent he plays his game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Absolutely well deserved. If he gets his game up to the 70-point mark next year (I think an other year with Seguin and Marchand will get it there), and is able to pull out the Selke this year, he'll no doubt be recognized as a premier player throughout the league and we can be done whining about how underrated he is.

Well done, 3-7!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

The only suprise here is that he hasn't already won this award. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron is a Selke finalist:
    No shock, figure it should be Bergie, with Backes as the runner-up. Though Datsyuk could win it based purely on reputation, like Lidstrom did with the Norris when he was a minus player.
    Posted by red75

Not really.

Datsyuk could win it because he's so damn good. Reputation will have nothing to do with him winning it. And there's no embarrassment at all finishing 2nd or 3rd to this guy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron is a Selke finalist : Not really. Datsyuk could win it because he's so damn good. Reputation will have nothing to do with him winning it. And there's no embarrassment at all finishing 2nd or 3rd to this guy.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

My point was that this particular season he wasn't the best defensive forward - Backes or Bergeron were. Not slagging him, just saying for the criteria of the Selke, Bergeron and Backes had better years, so if he were to win it, it would be more about past performance than his play this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lereve77. Show lereve77's posts

Well deserved and I hope he wins it. His one win in the face-off circle yesterday is a glowing example of why he should win it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron is a Selke finalist : My point was that this particular season he wasn't the best defensive forward - Backes or Bergeron were. Not slagging him, just saying for the criteria of the Selke, Bergeron and Backes had better years, so if he were to win it, it would be more about past performance than his play this season.
    Posted by red75

And you are basing this statement on what Red ? Every time I watched the Red Wings this year he looked fabulous in his own end. His stickwork in retrieving and battling along the boards to get the puck is second to none. 

I hope Bergeron wins it because he deserves to be at the top of the list but I don't think your comments about Datsyuk are even close. He was and is an amazing defensive player. Past and current. Can't agree with you at all on this one. If he wins it he'll be as deserving as the other two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Don't think my comments are even close? I'm saying he's one of the top three D forwards in the league this season, but not top two, which is almost exactly what you just said, because you said you think Bergeron deserves to be at the top of the list.

Not even close? We're saying the exact same thing! I don't think he deserves it over the other two, and you don't think he deserves it over at least Bergeron - how is what I'm saying not even close then?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Will Datysuk steal it from Bergeron like Lidstrom stole the Norris from Chara last year? Hope not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

He shouldn't. I love Datsyuk, he's my favorite outside of Bruin's players, but Bergeron above and beyond deserves it, he held that line up very well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruins3037. Show bruins3037's posts

I think this is Bergy's award all the way. He's been absolutely fantastic all year long in his own end, and had an awfully impressive year in the offensive end. I wouldn't be surprised if he loses it to Datsyuk, because he's a pure beast, but I can't see Bergeron finishing below second. It's pretty even between all three, pretty sure Bergeron blows everyone out of the water in faceoff percentage, though. Something like 59.8%, I think.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought Bergy should've won the award last yr. He had almost 60 points was a plus 20 playing w/ a rookie and a 40 something guy. He was also one of the league's top faceoff men. Lidstrom getting the Norris was an absolute joke. Sure he had 62 points but was a minus 2. Chara was dominant, a plus 33 along w/ 14 goals, only 2 less than Lidstrom.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Don't think my comments are even close? I'm saying he's one of the top three D forwards in the league this season, but not top two, which is almost exactly what you just said, because you said you think Bergeron deserves to be at the top of the list. Not even close? We're saying the exact same thing! I don't think he deserves it over the other two, and you don't think he deserves it over at least Bergeron - how is what I'm saying not even close then?
    Posted by red75

"Though Datsyuk could win it based purely on reputation,"

My point was that this particular season he wasn't the best defensive forward -

--------
    I don't agree with these statements so how are we saying the exact same thing.

My point with Bergeron deserving to be at the top of the list was because of not winning it before and having a great season. I am a Bruin fan so why wouldn't I want him to win it. Datsyuk had another great season also. Saying he wasn't the best defensive forward is an opinion by you. Does that make it a fact ? Hardly.

I think he was just as good as Bergeron. Doesn't make my opinion a fact either. Both had superb defensive seasons . Let the voters decide and I'll hope for a Bergeron win. But if Datsyuk wins it and there are claims of winning by reputation and he wasn't the best defensive forward this year I'll say " Hogwash . He won it because he deserved it."

This coming from a Bruin's fan whose favourite player is #37.    

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I thought Bergy should've won the award last yr. He had almost 60 points was a plus 20 playing w/ a rookie and a 40 something guy. He was also one of the league's top faceoff men. Lidstrom getting the Norris was an absolute joke. Sure he had 62 points but was a minus 2. Chara was dominant, a plus 33 along w/ 14 goals, only 2 less than Lidstrom.
    Posted by stan17

Lidstrom won the Norris last year because everyone thought he was going to retire. I agree, Chara was by far the most deserving last year, and looked like a sure win.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Chara came third behind Lidstrom and Weber last year, didn't he?  Too tired to look it up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Chara came third behind Lidstrom and Weber last year, didn't he?  Too tired to look it up.
    Posted by Bookboy007

NORRIS: Lidstrom (736), Weber (727), Chara (688), Visnovsky (573), Yandle (312)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

And to think Grabovski makes more than Patrice.Burke is a genius.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mutant211. Show Mutant211's posts

It's good to see Bergeron get some recognition for his hard work.  I'd like to see him win the Selke, but I honestly haven't seen enough of Backes or Datsyuk this season to have an objective opinion on who deserves it most.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

It's good to see Bergeron get some recognition for his hard work.  I'd like to see him win the Selke, but I honestly haven't seen enough of Backes or Datsyuk this season to have an objective opinion on who deserves it most.
    Posted by Mutant211

Me neither.  But if they have honestly had better seasons than Bergeron, that's pretty impressive.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Datsyuk is winning on the nhl.com poll, and by a huge margin.  Bergeron barely edging Backes for second.  I think this speaks to red's point - Datsyuk will get a "bump" on reputation and being a past winner that could easily be the tie-breaker for any voter who, like Mutant, feels they haven't seen all of the candidates often enough to make a fine distinction between them.  If they're all worthy winners, and the tie-breaking factor is reputation, I think it's fair to say Datsyuk will have won on reputation.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Datsyuk is winning on the nhl.com poll, and by a huge margin.  Bergeron barely edging Backes for second.  I think this speaks to red's point - Datsyuk will get a "bump" on reputation and being a past winner that could easily be the tie-breaker for any voter who, like Mutant, feels they haven't seen all of the candidates often enough to make a fine distinction between them.  If they're all worthy winners, and the tie-breaking factor is reputation, I think it's fair to say Datsyuk will have won on reputation.  
    Posted by Bookboy007

Nicely put, Book.
    These awards often do not go to the most deserving candidate but always go to a deserving candidate.

Datsyuk wins but it's not a travesty. He's dang good but I think Bergy may be more deserving this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

my guess is bergeron will have to "pay his dues", first time nominee and all. to be honest, i was surprised at the stat i saw on nhl tonight, bergy was only credited with 5o-something takeaways this year. i've seen him get 6 or 7 in a single game, so i don't know how accurate this stat is. daytsuk has been credited with 90-something. i realize this is a small part of the overall game, because as we all know watching bergeron night in and night out, he does ALL THE LITTLE THINGS that don't show up on the stat sheet (taking away passing lanes, ect). all that being said, i hope he wins the award, he is most certainly deserving. my guess is he doesn't care right now, he wants to win the cup! AGAIN!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

Good for Bergie.  It's about time.  I felt he was even more deserving last year!  At the time I figured they needed more team success or he needed more offensive numbers to get the nomination.  It's not what I think the Selke should be about, but what I believe professional sports awards are often about.  So kudos to my favorite player Patrice Bergeron, this nomination has been a long time coming!!

Sections
Shortcuts