Bergeron Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Bergeron Line

No secret that this line has not been playing to expectations this series, and some other threads surface some of the players individually.  I thought to start a thread to capture thoughts on the unit as a whole and take a look at how they have been trending.

Through 5 games in this series:

Marchand: 0-2-2 0

Bergeron: 1-0-1 -1 (58.4% on draws)

Seguin: 0-0-0 +1

Marchand just doesn’t seem right to me.  He doesn’t seem to be playing with his typical jump/speed. He looks he is trying to agitate, but his heart isn’t really into it.  Could be that he is trying to be more disciplined, but doesn’t look like typical Marchand.  Worth noting, to close out the regular season (post-Volchenkov hit), he was 1-1-2 in 6gp.  So, in his last 11, he is 1-3-4.

Bergeron doesn’t appear as active in offensive zone as we are accustom to seeing.  Still playing his solid 2-way game and doing great on draws, but only 1 goal in 5gp.  Since returning from his concussion in the regular season, he closed out the year 0-1-1 in 6gp.  Thus, over his last 11gp, he is 1-1-2.

Seguin seems lost at times, either gripping the stick too tight or battling confidence issues. Too soft on the puck at times, and seeing more uncharacteristic turnovers.  On the plus side, his 2-way game has really improved, and there are plenty of examples of good back pressure forcing  Leaf turnovers.  Syncing his performance with that of his linemates, he finished the year 1-1-2 over his last 6gp, so 1-1-2 over his last 11gp.

Not sure where CJ goes from here, other than to let them work it out.  They were so good during most of the regular season, but only have a collective 3 goals in their last 11gp.  Performance issues seem to box with the return from their concussions, so that is concerning about how well Marchand & Bergeron really are?  Simply put, his line has been out of sync for 11 games, and that includes all three players.

Here’s hoping they start to find it in Game 6.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

Re: Bergeron Line

Good post. They sure aren't clicking. And Seguin's 24 shots are more than any other Bruin. Sunday has to be their break out game. Either that or put Jagr in. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Good post Crowls.  They are playing out of sorts but the reason for it is unknown.  I hope they can overcome it.  Three points combined for that line through the first 5 games is unacceptable, although Bergie certainly should have been able to find a way to bury his chance last night.  If he did, the series could be over right now.  That's hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Seguin's skating and getting chances, but Marchand's game is non-existent right now. He's gotta be hurt or something. Bergie is Bergie. You can't ever really complain about him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Marchand might still be cloudy after his concussion.  We've seen this happen many, many times.  The player is good enough to be on the ice, but not good enough to be himself.

Same with Bergeron?

With those two in the tank, it's difficult to expect Seguin to do more than he currently is.  He's playing all 180 feet and doing everything he can to score.  I don't recall, however, any shots of his that were results of great passes first.  They're almost exclusively solo efforts. 

I wish Seguin and Jagr could play on the same line. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Good post Crowls. I sure hope that line can start to click. Seguin has been snake bitten but I don't have a problem w/ the way he's playing, the effort is there. Marchand just doesn't look like the guy we watched for most of this season.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Just as anyone of lucic or horton of there game affects there line and Krejci, now they got it going and i think it was lucic who needed to get it going, all assists in this series, but a force, thats what counts, now marchand imo is the ailing winger who needs to make this line work,  he does seem like hes thinking more than doing what hes thinking. I hope sunday he can get his game back.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from golden9x2. Show golden9x2's posts

I dont know why Claude is so poor at in game management to the tune of say, flipping Seguin and Jagr to try something to spark both players...dont tamper with the first line...its rockin' but there has to be something done to spark these other two lines.....cuz we dont want it goin' seven...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Potowatomi Indians would call the 3rd line "Chicago" cause they stink like bad onions!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Marchand might still be cloudy after his concussion.  We've seen this happen many, many times.  The player is good enough to be on the ice, but not good enough to be himself.

Same with Bergeron?

With those two in the tank, it's difficult to expect Seguin to do more than he currently is.  He's playing all 180 feet and doing everything he can to score.  I don't recall, however, any shots of his that were results of great passes first.  They're almost exclusively solo efforts. 

I actually wouldn't mind if CJ flipped Bergeron for Jagr and let Seguin center the line. The 3rd line would then have Bergeron with Kelly and Pev. They'd be dynamite defensively but it would rely on Seguin truly being ready to handle a center's responsibilities. It would also mean more ice for Kelly and Pev so you'd have to take the good with the bad.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Same with Bergeron?

I actually wouldn't mind if CJ flipped Bergeron for Jagr and let Seguin center the line. The 3rd line would then have Bergeron with Kelly and Pev. They'd be dynamite defensively but it would rely on Seguin truly being ready to handle a center's responsibilities. It would also mean more ice for Kelly and Pev so you'd have to take the good with the bad.

Peverley, despite being a ghost on the score sheet, has been amazing in the faceoff circle vs. Toronto with 30W and 11L.  Seguin has only taken five faceoffs, so it's not really fair to judge him...but he has lost all five.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Everyone is on Seguin's back,  maybe because it's been the Kessel vs Seguin rant by the media and the fans but like I posted last night Seguin has created his chances, Marchand not so much . 

I would like to see Seguin-Kelly-Peverley line, this line will have the proper speed and play againt lower end, slower d-men that Seguin will take advantage.

Jagr-Marchand had chemistry going and I would be the prefect wake up call for both Marchand and Bergeron. 

I think Seguin would be the better choice on the 3rd line because he won't them worse. Marchand hasn't been playing well and that line could become even worse.

and yes I agree Peverley has served a very good purpose, winning facoffs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Same with Bergeron?

Peverley, despite being a ghost on the score sheet, has been amazing in the faceoff circle vs. Toronto with 30W and 11L.  Seguin has only taken five faceoffs, so it's not really fair to judge him...but he has lost all five.

And faceoffs are only one part of what Seguin would have added to his plate. There are many reasons CJ wouldn't try my idea. The fact they're in game six of a playoff series would be first and foremost. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Can we all agree that if our second and third lines start living up to their potential... another Cup could soon find it's home in Boston again? That may or may not be a stretch but we can also say that we are winning this series without those lines playing at their best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

This has nothing to do with individuals or lines not performing.  But it does have everything to do with the fact that the playoffs are a totally different season than the regular season.  Everything changes for the playoffs.  #1 seeds disappear early, #8 seeds win the cup and teams come from behind when down 0-3.

The fact is that the regular season even a shortened one means very little .  I vote to stay with the 40-game schedule.

Sections
Shortcuts