Bergeron sets career high in Goals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Bergeron sets career high in Goals

Well not really. He scored 31 before his concussion, but this is a high since then and I find that  incredibly encouraging. if he keeps it up this could be one of the best contracts in the nhl

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Bergeron sets career high in Goals

I think that overall Bergeron is the best player in the NHL this season. I don't think that there is any question that he is the best defensive forward in the game. He's terrific at faceoffs, kills penalties brilliantly and is having a fabulous year offensively. This is a Gold Medal Olympian who is relentless and never takes a shift off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

I think that overall Bergeron is the best player in the NHL this season. I don't think that there is any question that he is the best defensive forward in the game. He's terrific at faceoffs, kills penalties brilliantly and is having a fabulous year offensively. This is a Gold Medal Olympian who is relentless and never takes a shift off.

I wouldn't put him as the best Trouts up he's high up. Very complete.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Okay, so he didn't set his career high.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Goal 178 is his career high which was 177, 31 is his season high

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

I'm happy he's a Bruin but he's not the best player in the NHL.  Not even close.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd say it's a lot closer than I used to think.  I think he continues to improve, too, because you can see that he picks an area of his game that he wants to concentrate on, and then acts on it.  Early in the year, when Marchand and Eriksson were both struggling, one of the things I thought had changed was Bergeron's approach to shooting the puck.  Four years ago, before Seguin was on his line, Bergeron took the most shots of any Bruin forward.  Seguin became the key shooter, though Bergeron still shot more than any of the first line forwards.  With Seguin gone, you could see Bergeron working to get open for shots and thinking shot whenever he got the chance in certain areas of the ice.  Anywhere on the inside edge of the right circle, for example, he's letting it rip as soon as he gets it.  The chemistry with Marchand was off a bit because of it, and it never arrived with Eriksson, but we're seeing the fruits of it now.  6 goals in 9 games to tie his career best for a season?  Nah.  Rest him.

Best player...well we had those Rank 'Em threads, and Toews was consistently near the top of the forwards list.  Bergeron has three fewer goals than Toews, a dozen fewer assists, is better on faceoff %, has twice as many hits, blocks twice as many shots, and has a better giveaway  to takeaway ratio (though two fewer takeaways). Bergeron has 7 GWG to Toews's 5, and leads the league in +/-, about +10 better than Toews.  For all that, I still say Toews is the better player because his offense is a notch above and the other stats don't really measure quality of play as well as points do quality of offensive input.  But it's close.

It's hard to put Bergeron on the same scale as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos - and those are just the forwards.  He'd be farther down if you threw in D.  I might put him behind Chara and Rask overall, meaning he's only the third best player on the team.  I think of it like this: The guys ahead of him are players you build under.  They're the vanguard of your team, they define it.  Bergeron is a player who you build on, and he gives you a million options for how you want your team to play.  But if he's the vanguard, you're probably still looking to improve.  You don't want him to be the C on a traditional first line.  You want more offensive push, more offensive flair - more risk/reward out of that line.  Bergeron's more conservative.  He'll get you a lot of rewards with few risks.  Sometimes that's not enough - it's why he's never gotten back to the heady 30 goal, 70+ point plateaus of the post-JTSuperstar trade.

Great player - makes great players better, make the whole team better - but not in the top 20 of best individual players.  Though he's on the good side of whatever dropoff takes you out of the great player category.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to KMCI's comment:

Goal 178 is his career high which was 177, 31 is his season high

No. It's common place to refer to something like that as a career high. 178 is his career total.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Regardless if Bergeron gets to his season total in goals, his goal scoring isn't what I like about his game. The man is an absolute thief, constantely robs the opposition of the puck. Me thinks he takes pride in it and should.

I remember Patrice taking the ice in 2008, the morning of game 7 against Montreal. Bergeron didn't play in the game but I remember thinking that he is not going to stop till he gets back to playing well in the NHL again.

PS. Saw Randy Jones playing for Portland in AHL Last night. Laughed as I watched him fumble in corner for the puck. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Many will argue if he is the best or where he is in that category but how do you define that category hes so good in ? Lets put it this way, if all 30 GMs did a total mock draft with everyone available from every team,where do you think bergeron would be picked ? I would say top 10 for sure.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

Many will argue if he is the best or where he is in that category but how do you define that category hes so good in ? Lets put it this way, if all 30 GMs did a total mock draft with everyone available from every team,where do you think bergeron would be picked ? I would say top 10 for sure.

In no order, here are 10 guys that I believe would be chosen before Bergeron:

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Rask, Quick, Lucic, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Doughty, Weber

And that's with putting two seconds of thought into it.  Bergeron is one of the best at his job, but his job isn't being the best player on the ice.

(And before any of you whackjobs suggest otherwise, I'm a huge Bergeron fan. I have been since the day he made the team as an 18 year old.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

Bergie's overall game has never been better. He always was defensively responsible (understatement) but he's getting and creating more chances offensively. To be honest, is there a foward in the game today that you would rather have out there in the last minute with a one goal lead?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Kopitar is also rising up the ranks very quickly.  Hes pretty awesome.  As for Bergie.  Love him.  Awesome talent.  Class.  Big game player.  Champion.  Hes wicked.  I always watch him when he doesnt have the puck.  So smart. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Kopitar is also rising up the ranks very quickly.  Hes pretty awesome.  As for Bergie.  Love him.  Awesome talent.  Class.  Big game player.  Champion.  Hes wicked.  I always watch him when he doesnt have the puck.  So smart.

I get sto see Kopitar live a lot and you are right he is awesome.

How does he compare defensively to Bergeron ?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

Would take Bergeron over Ovechkin in a heart  beat Ovechkin has what 17 more points than Bergeron.Ovechkin -31 Berg +38 and for those who say +- doesn't matter,thats crap means Ovechkin is on the ice for more goals against than he is on when Caps score,Bergeron does everthing well Ovechkin does one thing well,thats why caps will never win a cup or even get close.When Wash beat the Bruins a couple of years ago in play offs Ovechkin hardly played,he is so bad defensively Hunter didn't want him on the ice,soon as Caps got a lead he sat.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mxt's comment:

Bergie's overall game has never been better. He always was defensively responsible (understatement) but he's getting and creating more chances offensively. To be honest, is there a foward in the game today that you would rather have out there in the last minute with a one goal lead?

Toews

Datsyuk

Bergeron

Put them in a hat and pick one.  Can't go wrong.

Or, ask Julien

Bergeron

Thornton

Paille

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to wallydouglas' comment:

In no order, here are 10 guys that I believe would be chosen before Bergeron:

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Rask, Quick, Lucic, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Doughty, Weber

And that's with putting two seconds of thought into it.  Bergeron is one of the best at his job, but his job isn't being the best player on the ice.

(And before any of you whackjobs suggest otherwise, I'm a huge Bergeron fan. I have been since the day he made the team as an 18 year old.)

Totally agree with this post, you might easily throw in Suter, Perry, and Giroux ...and I believe Lucic would be the 1st Bruin selected - there is no other choice for what he brings, he is in a category by himself. Every GM in the NHL would kill to have him-

It's hard to knock Bergeron at all though he's been all world as of late, if he was stronger on the offensive side, and not much, just a little more crafty or a little more snipe to his game he'd be top 5. That being said ...really would be hard to imagine trading him for almost anybody else - that does speak volumes

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd say it's already there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I get sto see Kopitar live a lot and you are right he is awesome.

How does he compare defensively to Bergeron ?

I think he will be up for selke.  Not sure i would put him at bergie/dats level but pretty close.  He might be the best kept secret in hockey.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

Would take Bergeron over Ovechkin in a heart  beat Ovechkin has what 17 more points than Bergeron.Ovechkin -31 Berg +38 and for those who say +- doesn't matter,thats crap means Ovechkin is on the ice for more goals against than he is on when Caps score,Bergeron does everthing well Ovechkin does one thing well,thats why caps will never win a cup or even get close.When Wash beat the Bruins a couple of years ago in play offs Ovechkin hardly played,he is so bad defensively Hunter didn't want him on the ice,soon as Caps got a lead he sat.

LOL  I love this place.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to kitchener's comment:

i would do the same. while the objective of the game is to score the most goals, i'd rather win 1-0 than lose 5-4.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

14 straight games without a non powerplay goal. It's been 16 games since he's had a positive rating. when his team needs him the most, ovechkin disappears. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

14 straight games without a non powerplay goal. It's been 16 games since he's had a positive rating. when his team needs him the most, ovechkin disappears. 

Bergeron was a -2 today.

He sucks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If it happens 35 more times, then yes, I'd agree.  He'd be in Ovechkin's neighbourhood then.

You would have to be -2 every game for almost half a season to go from Bergeron's +/- to Ovechkin's.  I wonder what would happen if they were traded 1:1?

I have to think there are some GMs who wouldn't take Ovechkin at all - Chiarelli for one.  Maybe Lombardi.  Not that he's not incredibly talented, but the return on that talent and for what you pay him is out of whack.

The only knock on Bergeron is that he creates so much offense off of his defense but doesn't have the results to show for all those chances.  A truly elite offensive player would convert at a high enough rate to score in the neighbourhood of a point/game.  He doesn't have that A+ shot, that seeing eye passing that others have.  He works and thinks his way to his offensive output.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

If it happens 35 more times, then yes, I'd agree.  He'd be in Ovechkin's neighbourhood then.

You would have to be -2 every game for almost half a season to go from Bergeron's +/- to Ovechkin's.  I wonder what would happen if they were traded 1:1?

I have to think there are some GMs who wouldn't take Ovechkin at all - Chiarelli for one.  Maybe Lombardi.  Not that he's not incredibly talented, but the return on that talent and for what you pay him is out of whack.

The only knock on Bergeron is that he creates so much offense off of his defense but doesn't have the results to show for all those chances.  A truly elite offensive player would convert at a high enough rate to score in the neighbourhood of a point/game.  He doesn't have that A+ shot, that seeing eye passing that others have.  He works and thinks his way to his offensive output.

He was -1

Sections
Shortcuts