Bergeron sets career high in Goals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KMCI. Show KMCI's posts

Re: Bergeron sets career high in Goals

picking a team for cup finals , I pick first i take crosby,  i pick second i take Bergy that is hw good he is. not talking about playoff pools i am talking about picking t win. Rask is not in top 10. Taves is god Dats is great Berg is better.

GOAT!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

I get sto see Kopitar live a lot and you are right he is awesome.

How does he compare defensively to Bergeron ?

I think he will be up for selke.  Not sure i would put him at bergie/dats level but pretty close.  He might be the best kept secret in hockey

Not with Western Conerfence fans he isn't.

#SourayeatsPinkHostesSnowBallsallday

• You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

I think that overall Bergeron is the best player in the NHL this season. I don't think that there is any question that he is the best defensive forward in the game. He's terrific at faceoffs, kills penalties brilliantly and is having a fabulous year offensively. This is a Gold Medal Olympian who is relentless and never takes a shift off.

I'm happy he's a Bruin but he's not the best player in the NHL.  Not even close.

Who is the best player? After answering, please let me know how he made out playing head to head against Bergeron in a 7 game series. Was it even close?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I like the *if i knew then what i know now* do you think  Nas you would still pick ovie over bergeron ?

Seriously, washingtons 4th line does more than ovie, ya hes got a one timer and scores alot of points on the power play but hes god awful everywhere else.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Great to see that the concussion hasn't stopped Bergeron from going on to play great hockey and mean so much to his club. He's a great two way player that any team in the NHL would love to have, and would pay dearly for. And he's a warrior; just refer to last years cup final. I don't see the Bruins letting him go anytime soon.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Bergeron would be in my top 10 picks if I would have to select among all the NHL players...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Bruins C Patrice Bergeron 7 G, 3 A during 7-game point streak; 10 G, 1 A in past 9 GP; C Carl Soderberg 9 G, 13 A in past 24 GP"

Ridiculous!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

I choose Bergeron over Ovi without hesitation. I like to win, Washington can have the flash, Bruins want results. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"Bruins C Patrice Bergeron 7 G, 3 A during 7-game point streak; 10 G, 1 A in past 9 GP; C Carl Soderberg 9 G, 13 A in past 24 GP"

Ridiculous!

One of the B's other center has won the playoff scoring race 2 out of last 3 seasons.  How awesome is this roster.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

Ridiculous!

One of the B's other center has won the playoff scoring race 2 out of last 3 seasons.  How awesome is this roster.

Even in 2011 when the Bruins were humming along and went on that 7 game (or 6 games) road win streak, I don't remember all the centers playing this well at the same time.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Ridiculous!

Wow.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'd say it's a lot closer than I used to think.  I think he continues to improve, too, because you can see that he picks an area of his game that he wants to concentrate on, and then acts on it.  Early in the year, when Marchand and Eriksson were both struggling, one of the things I thought had changed was Bergeron's approach to shooting the puck.  Four years ago, before Seguin was on his line, Bergeron took the most shots of any Bruin forward.  Seguin became the key shooter, though Bergeron still shot more than any of the first line forwards.  With Seguin gone, you could see Bergeron working to get open for shots and thinking shot whenever he got the chance in certain areas of the ice.  Anywhere on the inside edge of the right circle, for example, he's letting it rip as soon as he gets it.  The chemistry with Marchand was off a bit because of it, and it never arrived with Eriksson, but we're seeing the fruits of it now.  6 goals in 9 games to tie his career best for a season?  Nah.  Rest him.

Best player...well we had those Rank 'Em threads, and Toews was consistently near the top of the forwards list.  Bergeron has three fewer goals than Toews, a dozen fewer assists, is better on faceoff %, has twice as many hits, blocks twice as many shots, and has a better giveaway  to takeaway ratio (though two fewer takeaways). Bergeron has 7 GWG to Toews's 5, and leads the league in +/-, about +10 better than Toews.  For all that, I still say Toews is the better player because his offense is a notch above and the other stats don't really measure quality of play as well as points do quality of offensive input.  But it's close.

It's hard to put Bergeron on the same scale as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Stamkos - and those are just the forwards.  He'd be farther down if you threw in D.  I might put him behind Chara and Rask overall, meaning he's only the third best player on the team.  I think of it like this: The guys ahead of him are players you build under.  They're the vanguard of your team, they define it.  Bergeron is a player who you build on, and he gives you a million options for how you want your team to play.  But if he's the vanguard, you're probably still looking to improve.  You don't want him to be the C on a traditional first line.  You want more offensive push, more offensive flair - more risk/reward out of that line.  Bergeron's more conservative.  He'll get you a lot of rewards with few risks.  Sometimes that's not enough - it's why he's never gotten back to the heady 30 goal, 70+ point plateaus of the post-JTSuperstar trade.

Great player - makes great players better, make the whole team better - but not in the top 20 of best individual players.  Though he's on the good side of whatever dropoff takes you out of the great player category.

I think he's really close to the top(forwards) when you look at the whole picture.  PB is locked in long term for a really attractive price.  I believe "value' trumps everything, and I think NHL GM's would agree.

Of those locked in long term, Ovechkins 9.6 takes him right off my wish list.  Same with Malkin at 9.3.  Crosby, Perry and Getzlaf are all mid 8, and to me, Crosby blows them out of the water.  Zetterberg is signed forever at 6.1, but at his age, that could be a problem.  Think I'll stick with PB there.  I'll keep him over Datsyuk too.

Then we have Toews, Kane, Kopitar and Stamkos.  None have a lot of term remaining.  Assuming they pace along as expected, Stampkos and Toews will break the bank on their next one.  I'm thinkin 10 mil per, even if the cap doesn't go up much.  Scratch them.  Kopitar and Kane will also get huge raises, and probably make more than Crosby.  Nahhhh, pass there too.

If you're thinking about building a winner, we know how important team defense is.  That's a plus for PB. Based on the long term projection, Bergeron gives the luxury of another pretty stout forward too.

Value wise, Bergeron is fairly close to the top, even if one disagress with a fair bit of my logic.

The key to the Bruins, and the key to success in my mind.  In a cap world, the team with the most bargains is the team to beat. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

In response to trouts' comment:

I think that overall Bergeron is the best player in the NHL this season. I don't think that there is any question that he is the best defensive forward in the game. He's terrific at faceoffs, kills penalties brilliantly and is having a fabulous year offensively. This is a Gold Medal Olympian who is relentless and never takes a shift off.

I wouldn't put him as the best Trouts up he's high up. Very complete.

During today's game with the Flyers the talking heads seemed to reach a conclusion that Bergeron is having an MVP season. I totally agree with them.

• Sections
    Shortcuts