Bergeron to wing please

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins7733. Show Bruins7733's posts

Bergeron to wing please

Our top line is the only production we are getting.  I wish we would condense the talent rather the spread it our among 4 lines.  Move Bergeron to wing, he is a talented scorer.  Make the 2nd line Savard, Bergeron and Ryder/Seguin.   3rd Line Wheeler at center, Recchi and Ryder/Seguin.  Our top talent needs to be pushed up the line charts, to add constant pressure on teams beside our #1 line.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: Bergeron to wing please

Yes Shortening the Bench is something ive wished CJ would do time and time again. This seems to be one of those things that just completely baffles him or he is dead set against.

I called for it in the Carolina Series, Then in the Philly series and many times during those nights certain bruins players(ryder) just take the night off. Every coach should have a preset "short bench" they fall back on when they need it. I know PITS/WASH/PHI/SJ/DET all have those. The bruins painstakingly stick to the "Roll 4 lines motto" and barring a couple of those forementioned teams they all seem to have had greater postseason success than the B's lately.

Im not sure what the short bench would be but I suspect that. Krejci-Horton-Lucic Bergeron-Wheeler-Recchi-Savard would be CJ's picks. I would go with Krejci-Horton-Lucic-Seguin-Bergeron-Savard.

Its one of those things Ill never understand about how CJ coaches.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I think bergy could play any position on the ice other than goalie, and maybe with some practice he could do that too.
    But, I'm not convinced he's a goal scorer or that his goal production would go up appreciably if he were on wing. Plus whatever extra goal production you got from him (which as I said, wouldn't be much IMO) wouldn't be worth losing what he brings to the center position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruins7733. Show Bruins7733's posts

Yeah maybe PB should play D,  at least someone could skate the puck up besides JB.  Then bring back Caron.  I know this is not reality before everyone calls me an idiot saying move Bergeron to D.  Its just frustrating the talent on this team not being used properly. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Unfortunately, with Sturm now off LTIR and gone, and Kampfer already called up, I don't think the Bruins can bring up Caron.  This would change if Stuart goes on LTIR, but for now the Bruins are in Devils territory - a couple day-to-day type injuries and they get stuck putting less than 20 players on the ice.

Edit:  Just re-checked.  Not quite that bad, they have enough banked space to call up a player for a day.  Still, it is tight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

DrCC - They could bring up Caron for something like a month and a half if they wanted to (daily rate for a $1.1M salary is something like $5850/day), and if after two months they decided the kid needed to stay, they could deal Paille for future considerations ("nothing") or send him to Providence and risk losing him for future considerations ("nothing"). The proposed scenario also has Bergeron taking over D spot, so presumably Kampfer would be sent back to Providence.  The long and the short here is that the Bruins are cap compliant even with two spares - Kampfer and Paille.  The only way they get to needing three is for a rash of short term injuries, and they could manage Caron, Arneil, Colborne and any other waiver exempt player on yo-yos if necessary (up for game days, down for days off).  Ideal?  No.  But doable and so enough to alleviate worry.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Sending Kampfer down would be enough, yes.

As is, though, the Bruins have about $2,300 a day to spare.  Kampfer makes $3,000 and Caron $4,600.  They have $7000 banked (all of this from Capgeek).  That would be only two added days of Caron.  There is enough there to yo-yo players, as you suggest, but if there is a flurry of day-to-day type injuries, it could add up to trouble.  This, of course, is ignoring the small wiggle-room created by Whitfield being on the LTIR ($1000 a day).  It's not as bad as the situation the Devils were in (mostly because of the banked space) but it is treading close enough to make me a bit nervous.

I really shouldn't be, though.  Sending Paille away (one way or another) would pretty much fix this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Sounds like we're reading different parts of CapGeek - when I look at the cap space available, it says there's $289K in the kitty with Kampfer and Stuart on strength.  I read that as enough cash to pay for a fair stretch of Caron but not the rest of the year.

This is where I'm not so certain: Cap space is a daily calculation, so it's possible for your annual salaries to add up to more than the cap without being in violation of the cap.  I can't remember if this only works when paying all of your roster players for all of the remaining days of the year will not cause your salary paid to exceed the cap.  In other words, if you had $1M in caps space with 3 months to play, could you call up 3 $1M/yr players for 1 month, then send them back down as soon as you ran out of available dollars?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I look for teams like St. Louis, Phoenix, Colorado, Tamp Bay and Atlanta to add salary after the December holiday trade freeze because these teams need to make the playoffs for that revenue. Then we have our usual suspects Florida, Carolina, Calgary, Islanders and Minnesota that will need to shed salary.

When teams get a little more desperate they will up the anti on Wheeler, Ryder and Paille possibly Stuart. Not saying I want Mark traded but Kampfer looks very comfortable and Stuart could probably fetch something nice in return not "future considerations ("nothing")."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I think it only works the other way - you can not have them to save up space then call them up at the end.  The $289K is the total space left.  That is spread out over the days remaining.

The 'Daily Tracker' is what I was looking at.  http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?team=5

As I understand it, the team can only go over the Daily Salary Cap if it has banked space to use, and once that space is gone, the daily spending has to be below it (+LTIR credits).  They have to keep under the 'Salary Cap to Date' number on each day.

So if I am doing this math right, they could currently afford him for the final 61 days of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

NO< NO H___ NO. As noted elsewher, it is time for Peter to do some trading of Wheeler to a team needing a center; Ryder to the Blues for a young defenseman; bring up Caron and Arneil; move Recchi to replace Thornton [ there are others capable of replacing any NECESSARY reactive fights].

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok I am going to say this in a wider perspective, if teams are getting revenue sharing monies then the minimum cap team expenditure has to be lifted up to a range of 50 million. There also needs to be a flexible cap, with salaries negotiable.  All of this should be in the next CBA.  This cap is so rigid and ludicrous given the fact the Bs were forced to give LA Marco Sturm for nothing. LA su$ks for several years, builds through the draft by finishing last, does not spend up to a minimum, gets money from the NHL, and then wealthy teams have to give decent players away for nothing when they are up an coming.  I know it is reality, the fact it is not correct. 

Oh yes, btw, Bergeron should be on wing now.  Wheeler is good enough to be a third line centerman.  Bergeron needs to be given the chance to work with some decent players on a regular basis.  His defensive skills can still be used on special teams play.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please:
    Oh yes, btw, Bergeron should be on wing now.  Wheeler is good enough to be a third line centerman.  Bergeron needs to be given the chance to work with some decent players on a regular basis.  His defensive skills can still be used on special teams play.   
    Posted by islamorada

Yeah, let's see them move the top faceoff guy to wing (54%) and allow a poor faceoff guy (40%) to do the job instead.

Brilliant, Islamorada.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please : Yeah, let's see them move the top faceoff guy to wing (54%) and allow a poor faceoff guy (40%) to do the job instead. Brilliant, Islamorada.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Obviously he can play wing AND still take face-offs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please : Obviously he can play wing AND still take face-offs.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Is there one player in the NHL that is utilized like this on a regular basis?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please : Is there one player in the NHL that is utilized like this on a regular basis?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'm not sure but I do know it's not difficult to pull off.Much easier than having a guy on the ice for a face-off only to rush to the bench immediately after(which happens all the time).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Yeah, Can't say I see much value in moving bergeron to wing, hes done a lot of stuff I love this year, but like a lot of guys on the team, hes blown some chances he should have buried, if he was finishing every opportunity he was getting, and wasnt getting opportunities I still suggest shuffling the lines over moving him to wing..

Also can't say I see a team needing a "center" trading for wheeler, or why people are thinking he is playing well at center, his production is horrible this season compared to years past, and he's awful on the draw, he is playing center I think mostly so seguin doesnt get frustrated short term since the team has more hopes for him long term..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Just finished watching Jared Knight take faceoffs then switch over to the wing. There were no problems doing this whatsoever.
    I voted to keep Bergeron at centre but I think it's an intriguing idea to try using Bergeron the same way that London has been using Knight if it ups Seguin's play by letting him play the middle. Saying no other player does it on a regular basis seems to be a stubborn way of looking at it. It can be done as I've seen it first hand. Trying something different wouldn't be a bad idea if it would work. 
    The one problem I have with Seguin moving to centre is defensive zone responsibility. He clearly is weaker then the rest of the centres in his own end IMO. That's why I think he should play the wing for now. He is still learning how to play at the NHL level. Putting that added responsibility on him might just take away from what he can do down at the other end of the ice. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please : Yeah, let's see them move the top faceoff guy to wing (54%) and allow a poor faceoff guy (40%) to do the job instead. Brilliant, Islamorada.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Missed the point.... if you play wing does not mean you cannot take the draw.  It is confusing only after a transition to either defense or offense.  In my book, he was quite effective when Krejci and Savard were out of the lineup.  He has enough talent to be injected into the second line.  Now the issue you should have with my suggestion is Wheeler at center of the third line.  There is the weakness in my argument.  Cheers.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Just let Bergeron play wing with Savard centre and Seguin on the other wing. The end. Bergeron has had some of his best seasons (production) playing wing beside Boyes and Sturm on the other wing. 

Bergeron can still take faceoffs during penalty kill, 4 on 4's and other special situations where it calls for him to play centre

BTW NAS last time i checked, Wheeler was a competent center. He is not a good winger because he can't score!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

If CJ won't ever consider putting bergeron on the wing at least he can do is 

Horton Savard Lucic
    Ryder Krejci Wheeler
    Recchi Bergeron Seguin
    Thornton Campbell Marchand

Alot more potential for consistent offense than how it is now. I've seen good chemistry between Horton and Savard already (during power plays). Krejci with Wheeler and Ryder has had good success before when he was healthy. 

Savard is a particular center. He can't play with everyone, nor he can make everyone better (glen murray, michael ryder). The winger has to know how to get open, when to go to a certain spot etc. A rookie like Seguin who is also not farmiliar with playing wing will have a hard time succeeding with Savard.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

BTW NAS last time i checked, Wheeler was a competent center. He is not a good winger because he can't score!
    Posted by yaz16

And he's not a good center because he is poor in the faceoff circle.  60% of the time he loses the draw.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

40 percent success is decent. Its not like he would be a first line center. Winning faceoffs is a key component to be a good center but there is so much more you have to do to even be a decent one. Wheeler is a decent passer, good at defense and skates well. Not being amazing at faceoffs is not a huge deal

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

40 percent success is decent. Its not like he would be a first line center. Winning faceoffs is a key component to be a good center but there is so much more you have to do to even be a decent one. Wheeler is a decent passer, good at defense and skates well. Not being amazing at faceoffs is not a huge deal
    Posted by yaz16

Possession of the puck, it turns out, is very important.  Yes, a good center is going to do better than 40%.  There are two players who have more than 200 faceoffs with a lower percentage.  You don't put a top faceoff guy on the wing and bring a poor faceoff winger to play center.

Everyone needs to jettison the idea of Bergeron taking the faceoffs then playing winger.  The practice doesn't exist.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron to wing please : Possession of the puck, it turns out, is very important.  Yes, a good center is going to do better than 40%.  There are two players who have more than 200 faceoffs with a lower percentage.  You don't put a top faceoff guy on the wing and bring a poor faceoff winger to play center. Everyone needs to jettison the idea of Bergeron taking the faceoffs then playing winger.  The practice doesn't exist.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I will grant you the practice wing/center does not exist, so I capitulate.  The fact remains Bergeron would be better with players of his skill and kind.  The fact is the scoring on the Bs team is becoming one line.  Savard's health, Seguin's developemnt with Bergeron on wing to help defense is not an outrageous suggestion.  If CJ would ever get through his "Elmer Fudd" brain to play three lines more frequently then Campbell could serve as a center.  I am not supportive of Wheeler, so I don't what to say other than "potential". 

Don't expect you to agree, but the loss of a faceoff man is not a good excuse. Along with creating a viable second line, Bergeron can still be on the  pk (center too) and the pp if needed.  These are the things I think (I am just an avid fan) CJ should do to help balance the offense.  

Sections
Shortcuts