Bergeron's Selke credentials.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Bergeron's Selke credentials.

Is he a serious contender this year? I believe so. Anyone who has more knowledge than me on what is taken into consideration when they nominate players for this award, please chime in. If you look at the tangibles (points, +/-, minutes logged on PK etc), he's definitely a strong candidate. If you look at the intangibles (how he plays defense, importance to teams defensive structure), he's right up there again.
    Seems to me that one thing that has held him back from winning it the past 2-3 years is his point production. He's on pace for 73 pts (regular season) this year compared to 57 last and 52 the year before. The past two winners are Kesler and Datsyuk, and they had 73 and 70 pts respectively during their winning years, right where Bergy is right now should he keep it up. Regarding his +/-, he's fourth in the league, but what stands out to me is that the #1 (Seguin) and #3 (Marchand) are his line mates, that says something in my opinion.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying that Bergeron is one of the most respected players in the league by his peers, for the way he plays the game and his on ice personality (Lady Byng anyone...?). I would love for him to win it as he has been underrated in this league and only after last year do I feel like people started to take note and sincerely count him in as one of the leagues elite.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Re: Bergeron's Selke credentials.

In Response to Bergeron's Selke credentials.:
    [QUOTE]Is he a serious contender this year? I believe so. Anyone who has more knowledge than me on what is taken into consideration when they nominate players for this award, please chime in. If you look at the tangibles (points, +/-, minutes logged on PK etc), he's definitely a strong candidate. If you look at the intangibles (how he plays defense, importance to teams defensive structure), he's right up there again. Seems to me that one thing that has held him back from winning it the past 2-3 years is his point production. He's on pace for 73 pts (regular season) this year compared to 57 last and 52 the year before. The past two winners are Kesler and Datsyuk, and they had 73 and 70 pts respectively during their winning years, right where Bergy is right now should he keep it up. Regarding his +/-, he's fourth in the league, but what stands out to me is that the #1 (Seguin) and #3 (Marchand) are his line mates, that says something in my opinion. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying that Bergeron is one of the most respected players in the league by his peers, for the way he plays the game and his on ice personality (Lady Byng anyone...?). I would love for him to win it as he has been underrated in this league and only after last year do I feel like people started to take note and sincerely count him in as one of the leagues elite. Thoughts?
    Posted by Al-Samarraie[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you started this thread. I'll tell you exactly how I feel about that...If Bergeron does not receive the Selke Trophy this season after being snubbed as even a candidate in previous seasons, the trophy should be launched into the ocean and never be awarded again. He is hands down the best two-way player in the league. His faceoff skills are in the top 2 or 3 in the league and his forechecking ability is as good as I've ever seen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

In Response to Re: Bergeron's Selke credentials.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Bergeron's Selke credentials. : I'm glad you started this thread. I'll tell you exactly how I feel about that...If Bergeron does not receive the Selke Trophy this season after being snubbed as even a candidate in previous seasons, the trophy should be launched into the ocean and never be awarded again. He is hands down the best two-way player in the league. His faceoff skills are in the top 2 or 3 in the league and his forechecking ability is as good as I've ever seen.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

I share your sentiment Danny, it really would be a joke if he didn't at least get a nomination. I just wanted to put the facts out there, but I would also be pissed if he got overlooked, and not just because I'm a Boston fan, but a hockey fan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

bergy shined while kessler vanished in the finals last year.  the former at least gets a selke nom this year.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

In Response to Bergeron's Selke credentials.:
    [QUOTE]Is he a serious contender this year? I believe so. Anyone who has more knowledge than me on what is taken into consideration when they nominate players for this award, please chime in. If you look at the tangibles (points, +/-, minutes logged on PK etc), he's definitely a strong candidate. If you look at the intangibles (how he plays defense, importance to teams defensive structure), he's right up there again. Seems to me that one thing that has held him back from winning it the past 2-3 years is his point production. He's on pace for 73 pts (regular season) this year compared to 57 last and 52 the year before. The past two winners are Kesler and Datsyuk, and they had 73 and 70 pts respectively during their winning years, right where Bergy is right now should he keep it up. Regarding his +/-, he's fourth in the league, but what stands out to me is that the #1 (Seguin) and #3 (Marchand) are his line mates, that says something in my opinion. I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying that Bergeron is one of the most respected players in the league by his peers, for the way he plays the game and his on ice personality (Lady Byng anyone...?). I would love for him to win it as he has been underrated in this league and only after last year do I feel like people started to take note and sincerely count him in as one of the leagues elite. Thoughts?
    He gets too many penalty minutes for the Lady Byng HAHA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Both offence and defence are considered for the Selke.  I think the two main contenders are Bergeron and Toews. Both are scoring plenty and both are excellent defensively. I would call it a toss-up between the two.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Both offence and defence are considered for the Selke.  I think the two main contenders are Bergeron and Toews. Both are scoring plenty and both are excellent defensively. I would call it a toss-up between the two.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

And this is the biggest problem with the Selke - it is supposed to be the best defensive forward, but it's not and hasn't been for a long time. If it was, John Madden would have a stack of them on his shelf, instead of just one. It seems to be more for the best all-around forward, but I don't think even the folks voting for it have a real idea of the exact requirements - this is an award that's been won by Rick Meagher, Doug Jarvis, Michael Peca and John Madden, but also by Sergei Federov, Stevie Y, and Ron Francis. I think the selection committee just makes it up as they go along.

That said, if I was voting, Patrice would defintely be one of my top three in the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

Thanks Red and Oates. Unfortunately Red, that's the way it seems to go. I think the selectors like picking the name that's "trending" at the moment, and is of course, putting up some numbers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

If I'm being objective here, I think Kesler outplayed him in the defensive end on saturday. He won several key faceoffs and looked like the more aggressive, annoying defensive player.

With that being said, it's just splitting hairs. Bergeron could easily win just by maintaining such a huge advantage in the +/- category and keeping his penalty minutes down.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

The two stats that should be the starting point for Selke discussions:
    Goals against/60:

Goals against/60 PK:

Bergeron's PK effectiveness may hold him back.  I am really surprised he's not higher on that list.  He's all the way down at #46.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks Red and Oates. Unfortunately Red, that's the way it seems to go. I think the selectors like picking the name that's "trending" at the moment, and is of course, putting up some numbers.

Yeh, I think that is why this is the most unpredictable trophy in the legue. I've routinely be stunned as to the list of nominees over the years. There seems to be little rhyme or reson to it. Any award that can be won by both Dirk Graham and Sergei Federov, has a serious identity crisis.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

NHL considers him the mid-season front-runner.  
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610671&navid=DL|NHL|home

Sections
Shortcuts