Best Defensive Players in Bruins History

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History

I know what the best defensive PLAY in Bruins history was.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins Hisotry

In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins Hisotry:
    [QUOTE]Eddie Westfall was great defensivley .....used to shadow Bobby Hull back in the mid 60's and did a pretty good job. Don Marcotte also comes to mind as a great defensive player.....IMO, Carolina is right when he claims Bergeron is the best ever.
    Posted by TurkS16[/QUOTE]

Marcotte is one of the great but underappreciated defensive forwards in our time. Same goes for former B's asst. coach Craig Ramsay. It seems Bob Gainey automatically won the Selke each year back then.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

Rick Middleton is the Bruins' all-time leader in shorthanded goals (25). My vote goes to Nifty.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I've read Rick and Dallas Smith were hugely underrated and solid defenders when patrolling the D zone for those 70's Cup teams. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beorach. Show Beorach's posts

Bergie's getting love w/ golden justification but PJ deserves about the same considering what he did for the B's and his country.  He took a beating in the playoffs, too, which underscored his importance being recognized by opponents...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History:
    [QUOTE]I know what the best defensive PLAY in Bruins history was..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oGeqT8W8I
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

That was a truly amazing effort by Bergy on that play. I still remember cursing Ryder for the weak effort on trying to handle that pass & letting the puck get by him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Rick Middleton is the Bruins' all-time leader in shorthanded goals (25). My vote goes to Nifty.
    Posted by felixwas[/QUOTE]
    Middleton was one of my favourites but I don't equate shorthanded goals with being great defensively. Mario scored plenty of shorties but I don't think he was great defensively. He liked to float between the 2 D-men and bolt the zone when Pitt gained possession of the puck. I'm not saying Nifty did that but I also don't think D when I think of him. Kasper is still my pick (in a tie with Bergeron).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TurkS16. Show TurkS16's posts

[QUOTE]Oh c'mon people , doesn't anybody remember the name Derek Sanderson ? A fantastic sweep checker ( you don't see this anymore ) and a great PKer with Eddie ( sorry I mean Ed ) Westfall. My choice as #1, everyone else is a distant 2nd.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Obviously I loved the way Sanderson played......great defensive player, killed penalties with the best of em, would fight, agitate, and pop in around 20 or so a year.......fed Orr on THE GOAL! Saw him fight Ray McKay of the Hawks, get his jersey off and toss it into the stands....He was a pretty good color guy for Fred as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]On D, it's Chara.  No contest.  Ovetchkin called him "the best defenseman in the world" For a forward, that would be Bergeron.  As good as checkers like Barry Pederson, PJ Axellson, and others were in Bruins history, Bergeron is above and beyond them all.  He is extraordinary in vision, anticipation, positioning, and puck snitching. 
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

Wish Bergeron got some Selke love.  I still think no one is in a league with Datsyuk, but Bergie should be a finalist.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History : Middleton was one of my favourites but I don't equate shorthanded goals with being great defensively. Mario scored plenty of shorties but I don't think he was great defensively. He liked to float between the 2 D-men and bolt the zone when Pitt gained possession of the puck. .Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Have to respectfully disagree Dez. Mario and Nifty had to have the confidence of being able to float without putting your team down another man on the PK. Plus those pucks didn't just accidentally hop on there sticks.

You are right on Kasper he could shut down a top line guy allot better than either Nifty or Mario on a more consistent basis no doubt.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins Hisotry : Wish Bergeron got some Selke love.  I still think no one is in a league with Datsyuk, but Bergie should be a finalist.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I agree about Datsyuk being peerless.  And while I think that Bergeron should have been a finalist this year, I think it's coming.  If he's healthy next year and is his usual self, I think it'll happen.  A lot of these awards are based on past performance.  His superb play last year while winning the Cup I'm sure attracted attention from those who hadn't noticed before.  Bergeron is a household name now as one of the premier two way players in the game......something us Bruins fans have known for quite some time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History : Middleton was one of my favourites but I don't equate shorthanded goals with being great defensively. Mario scored plenty of shorties but I don't think he was great defensively. He liked to float between the 2 D-men and bolt the zone when Pitt gained possession of the puck. I'm not saying Nifty did that but I also don't think D when I think of him. Kasper is still my pick (in a tie with Bergeron).
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

My first thought was Kasper. I watched him score two shorties on the same PP against Toronto, and he twisted the Leafs goalie (Bester, I think) so badly on the second goal that he injured himself.

We're just going to have to disagree on Middleton. During his years in Boston, he was a plus-40 one year and had three seasons in the plus-30s. But more to the point, he wouldn't have been killing penalties (and thus scoring shorthanders) if he weren't sound defensively. You're spot-on about Mario, but I can't recall anyone who ever accused Middleton of being a floater—except for Grapes at the start of Middleton's first year in Boston, of course!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Ken "the rat" Linesman had his specific duties. I would put Rolston in this category, did he not break the record for SH goals in one season by a Bruin. For d man less not forget Orr just give him the puck and he would killed the penalty by himself, and was so quick getting the puck out of the d zone the opposition did not have a chance to set up. I remember a Bobby Clarke saying he watch Orr carry the puck for almost the entire 2 mins. on PK and no one could not catch him. The reason his knees gave out was over worked the opposing players slashing him to try to slow him down.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Best Defensive Players in Bruins History : My first thought was Kasper. I watched him score two shorties on the same PP against Toronto, and he twisted the Leafs goalie (Bester, I think) so badly on the second goal that he injured himself. We're just going to have to disagree on Middleton. During his years in Boston, he was a plus-40 one year and had three seasons in the plus-30s. But more to the point, he wouldn't have been killing penalties (and thus scoring shorthanders) if he weren't sound defensively. You're spot-on about Mario, but I can't recall anyone who ever accused Middleton of being a floater—except for Grapes at the start of Middleton's first year in Boston, of course!
    Posted by felixwas[/QUOTE]

Oddly, Kasper only seemed to make his mark against the greatest OFFENSIVE player of all time--Wayne Gretzky. He was phenomenal at containing The Great One (you were never going to stop him completely) but didn't seem to excell against lesser players--maybe b/c he wasn't specifically assigned to them they way he was to Gretzky.

Best defenseman shut-down players:
    1.Can it really be that no one mentioned #4? He didn't just score goals and dish out assists, you know. He was as heavy a hitter as any D-man ever to play and his speed stopped many a player before they even got anywhere near the goal.
    2. Chara.  He dominated this playoff run, destroyed virtually every offensive line combo thrown out against him (had a little trouble with the Smurfs of Mtl., but so did everyone.)
    3. Never saw him play but my understanding is that Eddie Shore was pretty d*mn good.

Best Defensive Offenseman:
    1. Bergeron. Does it quieter than anyone else, but no one did it better. I include winning face offs in either end of the ice as a major shut-down factor, so he's my #1.
    2.Adam Oates. All anyone thinks about are the passes (for good reason). But he was one of the great penalty killers ever and was as smart as they come.
    3. PJ Axxelson. Gotta give Peej some love. He had absoltely zero scoring touch, couldn't skate fast, but was a devil on opposing offenseman. If he hadn't been he never would have played for as long as he did. Also stellar on the PK.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]I know what the best defensive PLAY in Bruins history was..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oGeqT8W8I
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]

That's the play that put me officially and forever into the "I love Patrice Bergeron in a non-sexual context" club.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Even on pure D, I'll take Bourque.  And TTBI, the only reason I didn't bring up #4 is that he'd be #3 or #4 on my list - not because he wasn't a dynamite defensive player (like Datsyuk, he could back track on a rush and steal the puck back better than anyone), but because Bourque and Chara were/are incredibly disruptive to everything a team tries to do on offense - Bourque seemed to read minds, Chara's incredible about getting in the way and covering two and three lanes at once.

But I come back to Sinden's comment: Given a choice between #4 and #77: down a goal, give him #4, up a goal, give him #77.