Best goaltenders ever??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Best goaltenders ever??

http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/10-greatest-goalies-in-nhl-history/2/" rel="nofollow">http://www.sportsbreak.com/nhl/10-greatest-goalies-in-nhl-history/2/

This is pretty cool...I especially noted the increase in the size og the goaltender's gear (pads, gloves, etc.). The 'old timers' were some pretty tough cookies. Granted, with the composite material sticks, etc. the shots are a lot harder today than way back when, but low scoring games are still the norm. The first guy was probably playing before Geoffrion came up with the slap shot.

Anyhow, kinda interesting reading and debatable stuff for a slow summer.

Garfield

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Best goaltenders ever??

Well, I can't speak of goalies that played before my time but the best one of my generation is Hasek followed closely by Roy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Roy, marty, hasek belfour, fuhr, vernon all pretty amazing goalies.  I think Roy-marty are the two best. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

It's Kel. Hands down. Duh.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Roy, marty, hasek belfour, fuhr, vernon all pretty amazing goalies.  I think Roy-marty are the two best. 

Roy and Brodeur were money in nets no doubt!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Farther Past-Dryden, Sawchuk

Recent Past-Roy, Broduer

Present-Rask, Quick

Future-Malcomb Subban

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Grant Fuhr that is a laugh! Might have gotten below 3 goals a game in a season once or above .900 SV% until he played for the Blues. Wouldn't even put Grant in my top 20. 

Hasek

Broduer

Parent 

Dryden

Esposito

"yah but he had cups!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Grant Fuhr that is a laugh! Might have gotten below 3 goals a game in a season once or above .900 SV% until he played for the Blues. Wouldn't even put Grant in my top 20. 

Fuhr was good, but not top 10 good or like you say, top 20 even. In Edmonton he played for a team that scored 14 goals/game. Their defensive philosophy was that a great offense is a good defense. I'm not knocking it...it worked. Their puck possession numbers must have been outstanding. It was surprising to me how much better his numbers got when he played for STL, a team with good D. But I agree....he does not belong in the conversation of best goalie ever.

[object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, the list thing is so far out of hand it's out of elbow, but I will give the site this: some of the pics they've chosen are hilarious and perfect.  Hainsworth looks like Billy Bardi or Mickey Rooney.  Smith holding his stick out like a shotgun pointed at Gretzky - and Gretzky visibly upset - is priceless.  Fuhr doing some sort of stork thing; Plante looking like both Jason Voorhees and Hannibal Lecter.  Others aren't as interesting - nothing interesting or characteristic about any of the Roy, Hasek, Brodeur or Sawchuk shots.

Brodeur, Roy, Hasek.  At his best, Brodeur was the cooler.  He seemed to know where he needed to be to stop the puck before it left the stick, so it would seem like he never made a difficult save.  The Olympic finals in 2002, for example - Canada really owned that game from start to finish, but I remember a few chances where TEAM USA moved the puck extremely quickly to an open shooter who ripped a one-time labelled for an open corner...only it wasn't open by the time the stick hit the puck.  Perfectly in control, that guy.  Roy could be like that, but he liked the dramatic and would get more in your face about it.  Sometimes, that hurt him a bit.  Not often, but enough to put Brodeur ahead of him.  Hasek was unearthly for a few years.  Without the Gumby factor, he would have been a top goalie of this day, but with it, he was like a guess-hitter in baseball who suddenly seems to guess right all the time.  It would crash on him from time to time, and his lack of playoff success is ultimately what has to keep him lower than Marty and Roy.  In his prime, he almost carried the Sabres to the Cup and got jobbed on the Brett Hull goal.  He went to the third round two other times, and the second round one additional time.  Did it with some very weak teams, too - the successful years, Satan was their leading scorer and they rarely had another player over 50 point - so you could easily argue he put them on his back and carried them farther than they ever should have gone.  The counterpoint is that he had Hawerchuk and Mogilny and a decent supporting cast early, and he flaked out late leaving both Ottawa and Detroit scrambling when he couldn't play in the playoffs.

I really liked Parent and hated that the Bruins gave him up (though I didn't know that until later).  Used to like to watch Rogie Vachon a lot.  Cheesy.  That era, guys had to be good, smart, and usually quick - funny how many of the guys I remember were tiny.  Vachon 5'6", Palmateer 5'9", even Cheevers was only 5'11".  Richard Brodeur was 5'9".

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:

It's Kel. Hands down. Duh.

Nobody stand too close to WTL when nite sees this...

[object HTMLDivElement]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

what made Fuhr a potential top 10 though was his uncanny ability to make the right save at the right time. They guy was just a master of the "big save." Maybe it was the coke but he did step up under pressure....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

My top 10

Hasek - Brodeur - Roy -  Parent - Sawchuk-  Glen Hall - Esposito - Thomas- Dryden - Plante 

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I think Nite had his Lemelin 88' season but it went to his head and was never the same after. Kelv, on the other hand, has the overall body of work. Steady beer league career, not too flashy but reliable.

Of course SoxFan was put on waivers for criticizing team management and his defense after going down only one goal during the 1st period of his first game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Fuhr got into people's heads.  We used to joke that he would deliberately wait until the puck was by him before windmilling that glove back to snap it off the goal line.  The way I remember it, actually, goes against what you'd think re: the best defense is a good offense.  If you traded odd man rushes with the Oilers, you would lose because they were going to score on every third rush and Fuhr was going to stone you cold on grade A chances the other way.  Then when the game settled down a bit, he'd give up a bad angle goal on a wrister from the boards sort of like the Bergeron goal on Price in Game 2 last year.  That's how Calgary challenged the Oil - limit the run and gun even if they're trying to give it to you.  And let Steve Smith take as many shots on his own goal as possible....

Are you not entertained?!?!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I think Nite had his Lemelin 88' season but it went to his head and was never the same after. Kelv, on the other hand, has the overall body of work. Steady beer league career, not too flashy but reliable.

Of course SoxFan was put on waivers for criticizing team management and his defense after going down only one goal during the 1st period of his first game.

Wasn't he also heartbroken that the Wings didn't claim him?

[object HTMLDivElement]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

what made Fuhr a potential top 10 though was his uncanny ability to make the right save at the right time. They guy was just a master of the "big save." Maybe it was the coke but he did step up under pressure....

I don't know about Fuhr being a top 10 guy either but your absolutely right on that one.I remember watching many Oiler playoff games where Fuhr made lights out saves at the right time and when his team needed it most,the score was still 10-7 Oilers but if Fuhr hadn't baled them out it would have been 12-10 for the other guys.The Oilers,while an offensive juggernaut,were not exactly the 95' NJ Devils,they gave up a lot of "primo" shots.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

I don't know about Fuhr being a top 10 guy either but your absolutely right on that one.I remember watching many Oiler playoff games where Fuhr made lights out saves at the right time and when his team needed it most,the score was still 10-7 Oilers but if Fuhr hadn't baled them out it would have been 12-10 for the other guys.The Oilers,while an offensive juggernaut,were not exactly the 95' NJ Devils,they gave up a lot of "primo" shots.

Exactly. Did anyone ever care if he let in 4 goals when his team scored 7 and controlled almost the entire game? Nope. But when it counted in high pressure situations, he always came up large.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Never saw Dryden,Sawchuk,Esposito etc...So I pretty much can only go by stuff from 84 on..

To me it's between Roy and Brodeur, and Roy emotion would make him great but also his downfall. When he laid an egg, he laid a big one. I'd give the edge to Brodeur, who would also act as a 3rd defenseman out their until they changed the rules.

One thing I never got is when people are rating goalies, especially from our generation, (I'm talking the 30 something crowd) is you never see Mike Richter mentioned. He was as steady as they come, has some great highlight saves, and that 96 World Cup he was unreal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from btrentor. Show btrentor's posts

Not the best but I'd definitely throw Tony Esposito into the mix. Still holds the record for 15 shutouts in a season and also more interestingly started the butterfly taking away the low posts (they called it the "V" back then).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The goalies I've seen and been most impressed with are Roy, Hasek and Thomas.  Brodeur's record speaks for itself, but I think it's a bit inflated playing for the league's most defensive team with the best defense, with the best defensive coach at the height of defensive hockey.  He's kinda like the reverse Gretzky.   If I had to pick one, I'd take Roy.

Out of current keepers Lundqvist has been special for years and Rask gave some of the best goaltending I've seen in '13.  I'd say I think Rask is the best right now.

Honorable mention to Bill Ranford.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schlich. Show schlich's posts

Dryden is my #1 based solely on how many times he broke my heart.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:

The goalies I've seen and been most impressed with are Roy, Hasek and Thomas.  Brodeur's record speaks for itself, but I think it's a bit inflated playing for the league's most defensive team with the best defense, with the best defensive coach at the height of defensive hockey.  He's kinda like the reverse Gretzky.   If I had to pick one, I'd take Roy.

Out of current keepers Lundqvist has been special for years and Rask gave some of the best goaltending I've seen in '13.  I'd say I think Rask is the best right now.

Honorable mention to Bill Ranford.

Tim Thomas 2010-11 season is one of the best I've ever seen a goalie play from start to finish.

Roy 86 playoffs was tremendous and his 93 playoffs where they won 10 games in overtime was awesome to watch. That 93 Canadiens team wasn't very good.

Ranford doesn't get enough credit IMO, he was lightning quick.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

If you factor in contract it's TuukkaTuukka

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Shupe's right, Belfour was pretty damn good in his time. Easily overlooked though...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Roy and Brodeur were money in nets no doubt!

Bingo! I like the battle goalies too. Billy Smith, and Cheevers . 

Sections
Shortcuts