Best goaltenders ever??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Best goaltenders ever??

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't know about Fuhr being a top 10 guy either but your absolutely right on that one.I remember watching many Oiler playoff games where Fuhr made lights out saves at the right time and when his team needed it most,the score was still 10-7 Oilers but if Fuhr hadn't baled them out it would have been 12-10 for the other guys.The Oilers,while an offensive juggernaut,were not exactly the 95' NJ Devils,they gave up a lot of "primo" shots.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Did anyone ever care if he let in 4 goals when his team scored 7 and controlled almost the entire game? Nope. But when it counted in high pressure situations, he always came up large.

[/QUOTE]

Thats how i see it as well.  I dont give a rats patutty if his save % isnt that high.  He made huge saves when they mattered most with no thought of the 5 guys on the ice playing defense.  Id love to see guys like Marty and Roy to see how they would do in that position.  Im sure they would dominate but Fuhr may have had the hardest task of all the goalies mentioned.  Loved watching him play.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thats how i see it as well.  I dont give a rats patutty if his save % isnt that high.  He made huge saves when they mattered most with no thought of the 5 guys on the ice playing defense.  Id love to see guys like Marty and Roy to see how they would do in that position.  Im sure they would dominate but Fuhr may have had the hardest task of all the goalies mentioned.  Loved watching him play.  

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. Ranford did his best Fuhr impression for a few years with the Oil too. Unfortunately for him he had to go through the start of the team's first rebuild near the end of his career there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pucman. Show pucman's posts

Brodeur in his prime was as technical sound as any goalie I've seen. Nobody could take a shot & put it into the corners like him. For a 1/2 season stretch Pete peeters could of had one of the hottest stretches as ever. It was awhile ago but I remember something about shutting out the opponent thru the 1st 2 periods at some unseen rate. I remember him being amazing!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

1.  Hasek

2.  Roy

That's all I can do.  Everyone else, to me, was great but these two were like Gretz and Mario.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

No mention of the great Vinny Riendeau?

My vote is split between Hasek and Marty. Marty wins due to Hasek's pitiful mask situation.
    Lets GO BRUINS!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Well first of all Sandog can kiss my left nut & make the right one jealous. 

1. Hasek- Sorry book, but nobody can "just guess" right that often. Never have I seen a goaltender carry a team on his back for so long. Understood the position better than anyone. Broke every goalie rule ever written & taught. Earned himself the perfect nickname. Hands down the most "Dominant" goalie in modern times

2. Couldn't stand him & never appreciated his talent, but my most favorite Habs goalie of all time. He's the only goalie in Montreal's history to have lost more than double the series than he won against the B's in the play-offs. The 90's was a wonderful decade! However, no goalie was able to get inside teams heads better than him. Roy's play in 86' & 93' was something special. As a goalie I need to give him that credit

3.Marty- The stats speak for themselves. Don't care who played in front of him. The goalie's job is to stop the puck. Doesn't matter whether you get 10 shots or a 100. Marty did his job & earns everything he's won. Even his ex-wife's sister.

4. Fuhr- Cokehead or not Grant Fuhr was one thing.....MONEY! And he didn't just win the 7-6 games. He also won some 1-0 games as well. Game 3 in the 84' Finals comes to mind.

5. Timmy- Now what kind of fan would I be if I didn't put my boy on this list. Never took No for an answer & beat the odds & I can die in peace knowing that I WILL NOT be back in diapers by the time the B's win another cup. TT was a big reason for that

HM's

Ranford- Nobody could get across & stack the pads faster than this guy! We're a dead breed for sure!

Richter- His lateral movement matches even today's goalies. 

Gillies Gilbert/Mike Palmateer- Reason why I became a goalie!

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because Dirty little bastar d was taken!"- Marty Brodeur

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Every now and then NOB gets it right... well said!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Nite had his Lemelin 88' season but it went to his head and was never the same after. Kelv, on the other hand, has the overall body of work. Steady beer league career, not too flashy but reliable.

Of course SoxFan was put on waivers for criticizing team management and his defense after going down only one goal during the 1st period of his first game.

Wasn't he also heartbroken that the Wings didn't claim him?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Well played, gentlemen.

I was more heartbroken with a different NHL team, but thats another story.

I'm probably saying this because I'm older than everyone here, but Plante is number 1 for me. He dominated in the early years, won Cups, and by the 70s was teaching young goalies like me technique that hadnt even been considered up to that point.  Angles, poke checks, even goalie psychology.  Ask any kid who played goal from the 70s and they will show you their copy of Plante's Goaltending book.  Thats not even considering his development of the mask, which basic form remains today with the addition of the cage on the eyes.

Most fans these days never saw or even remember Plante, but everything in goaltending lines up behind him.

OK, Ill try a list:

1. Plante

2, Brodeur

3 Sawchuk

4. Roy

5. Dryden

6. Hasek

7. Parent

8. G Hall

9. Esposito

10.  Brimsek

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Sportsnutty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No mention of the great Vinny Riendeau?

My vote is split between Hasek and Marty. Marty wins due to Hasek's pitiful mask situation.
    Lets GO BRUINS!!!

[/QUOTE]

He ranks just below John Casey....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:[QUOTE] Id love to see guys like Marty and Roy to see how they would do in that position.  Im sure they would dominate but Fuhr may have had the hardest task of all the goalies mentioned.  [/QUOTE]

You mean be in tough 1-0. 2-1 and 3-1 playoff games ? You having almost zero offense, compared to the 80s Oilers, would have awesome. 

"Put down the donuts Grant, the other team is finally coming down the ice"

LoL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

"Put down the donuts Grant, the other team is finally coming down the ice"

LoL

[/QUOTE]

I think he was more interested in the frosting than the donuts.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruin4evr. Show bruin4evr's posts

You have to remember in the last couple years that Roy was in Montreal and the team was not that great his numbers were also not that great. I believe that's why he wanted out (not just the one blow out game) if he had stayed in Montreal he wouldn't be up at the top. Brodeur and Hasek carried their teams to or very close to championships. Roy was good, but I don't believe he carried Montreal or Colorado to win, those were top teams before he arrived.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to bruin4evr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to remember in the last couple years that Roy was in Montreal and the team was not that great his numbers were also not that great. I believe that's why he wanted out (not just the one blow out game) if he had stayed in Montreal he wouldn't be up at the top. Brodeur and Hasek carried their teams to or very close to championships. Roy was good, but I don't believe he carried Montreal or Colorado to win, those were top teams before he arrived.

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, nobody predicted the Habs to win in 86 or 93. Especially that 93 team....they were average at best. It was Roy that made the difference and a classic example of how an elite goaltender can carry a marginal team to a cup.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

1. Hasek

2. Roy

3. Sawchuck

4. Brodeur

5. Plante

6. Belfour

7. Dryden

8. Hall

9. Esposito

10. Fuhr

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair, nobody predicted the Habs to win in 86 or 93. Especially that 93 team....they were average at best. It was Roy that made the difference and a classic example of how an elite goaltender can carry a marginal team to a cup.

[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said JM! Saved me from typing nasty...LOL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

Okay, the list thing is so far out of hand it's out of elbow, but I will give the site this: some of the pics they've chosen are hilarious and perfect.  Hainsworth looks like Billy Bardi or Mickey Rooney.  Smith holding his stick out like a shotgun pointed at Gretzky - and Gretzky visibly upset - is priceless.  Fuhr doing some sort of stork thing; Plante looking like both Jason Voorhees and Hannibal Lecter.  Others aren't as interesting - nothing interesting or characteristic about any of the Roy, Hasek, Brodeur or Sawchuk shots.

Brodeur, Roy, Hasek.  At his best, Brodeur was the cooler.  He seemed to know where he needed to be to stop the puck before it left the stick, so it would seem like he never made a difficult save.  The Olympic finals in 2002, for example - Canada really owned that game from start to finish, but I remember a few chances where TEAM USA moved the puck extremely quickly to an open shooter who ripped a one-time labelled for an open corner...only it wasn't open by the time the stick hit the puck.  Perfectly in control, that guy.  Roy could be like that, but he liked the dramatic and would get more in your face about it.  Sometimes, that hurt him a bit.  Not often, but enough to put Brodeur ahead of him.  Hasek was unearthly for a few years.  Without the Gumby factor, he would have been a top goalie of this day, but with it, he was like a guess-hitter in baseball who suddenly seems to guess right all the time.  It would crash on him from time to time, and his lack of playoff success is ultimately what has to keep him lower than Marty and Roy.  In his prime, he almost carried the Sabres to the Cup and got jobbed on the Brett Hull goal.  He went to the third round two other times, and the second round one additional time.  Did it with some very weak teams, too - the successful years, Satan was their leading scorer and they rarely had another player over 50 point - so you could easily argue he put them on his back and carried them farther than they ever should have gone.  The counterpoint is that he had Hawerchuk and Mogilny and a decent supporting cast early, and he flaked out late leaving both Ottawa and Detroit scrambling when he couldn't play in the playoffs.

I really liked Parent and hated that the Bruins gave him up (though I didn't know that until later).  Used to like to watch Rogie Vachon a lot.  Cheesy.  That era, guys had to be good, smart, and usually quick - funny how many of the guys I remember were tiny.  Vachon 5'6", Palmateer 5'9", even Cheevers was only 5'11".  Richard Brodeur was 5'9".

Are you not entertained?!?!

[/QUOTE]

Arturs Irbe, 5-8. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Okay, the list thing is so far out of hand it's out of elbow, but I will give the site this: some of the pics they've chosen are hilarious and perfect.  Hainsworth looks like Billy Bardi or Mickey Rooney.  Smith holding his stick out like a shotgun pointed at Gretzky - and Gretzky visibly upset - is priceless.  Fuhr doing some sort of stork thing; Plante looking like both Jason Voorhees and Hannibal Lecter.  Others aren't as interesting - nothing interesting or characteristic about any of the Roy, Hasek, Brodeur or Sawchuk shots.

Brodeur, Roy, Hasek.  At his best, Brodeur was the cooler.  He seemed to know where he needed to be to stop the puck before it left the stick, so it would seem like he never made a difficult save.  The Olympic finals in 2002, for example - Canada really owned that game from start to finish, but I remember a few chances where TEAM USA moved the puck extremely quickly to an open shooter who ripped a one-time labelled for an open corner...only it wasn't open by the time the stick hit the puck.  Perfectly in control, that guy.  Roy could be like that, but he liked the dramatic and would get more in your face about it.  Sometimes, that hurt him a bit.  Not often, but enough to put Brodeur ahead of him.  Hasek was unearthly for a few years.  Without the Gumby factor, he would have been a top goalie of this day, but with it, he was like a guess-hitter in baseball who suddenly seems to guess right all the time.  It would crash on him from time to time, and his lack of playoff success is ultimately what has to keep him lower than Marty and Roy.  In his prime, he almost carried the Sabres to the Cup and got jobbed on the Brett Hull goal.  He went to the third round two other times, and the second round one additional time.  Did it with some very weak teams, too - the successful years, Satan was their leading scorer and they rarely had another player over 50 point - so you could easily argue he put them on his back and carried them farther than they ever should have gone.  The counterpoint is that he had Hawerchuk and Mogilny and a decent supporting cast early, and he flaked out late leaving both Ottawa and Detroit scrambling when he couldn't play in the playoffs.

I really liked Parent and hated that the Bruins gave him up (though I didn't know that until later).  Used to like to watch Rogie Vachon a lot.  Cheesy.  That era, guys had to be good, smart, and usually quick - funny how many of the guys I remember were tiny.  Vachon 5'6", Palmateer 5'9", even Cheevers was only 5'11".  Richard Brodeur was 5'9".

[/QUOTE]

Arturs Irbe, 5-8. 

[/QUOTE]

Irbe wasnt really from the Vachon-Palmateer 70s era... 5' 9-10 was the norm... back then tall goalies seemed freakish and clumsy... I remember Cesare Maniago gangling around.  Dryden was the stunner not only because no one knew who he was, but because he was so quick and co-ordinated and taaaallllll.

Speaking of which, Book, which Bruins' "goalie givaway" galls you more?  Parent or Dryden?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said JM! Saved me from typing nasty...LOL

[/QUOTE]

It was my pleasure good sir!

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Speaking of which, Book, which Bruins' "goalie givaway" galls you more?  Parent or Dryden?

[/QUOTE]

Ranford.  Like the other two, he did come back to haunt the Bruins in a Cup finals.

Nah, I think it's Parent.  I think he was a better goaltender, if not for as long as you might want.  Dryden on the 70s Bruins just seems like an odd fit personality-wise. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Arturs Irbe, 5-8. 

[/QUOTE]

Irbe wasnt really from the Vachon-Palmateer 70s era... 5' 9-10 was the norm... back then tall goalies seemed freakish and clumsy... I remember Cesare Maniago gangling around.  Dryden was the stunner not only because no one knew who he was, but because he was so quick and co-ordinated and taaaallllll.

[/QUOTE]

True. Irbe came after them. Gary Smith, all 6-4 was of that 70's period though. I still have a hockey card of him in a Golden Seals uniform kicking around somewhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The value of height with a goalie is tied to the butterfly, obviously.  Who cares how much of a goalie would stick up over the crossbar when he's playing standup?  But have the guy drop into the butterfly a la Tuukka, and having the knees to the shoulders cover the full height of the net?  Bingo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Nite had his Lemelin 88' season but it went to his head and was never the same after. Kelv, on the other hand, has the overall body of work. Steady beer league career, not too flashy but reliable.

Of course SoxFan was put on waivers for criticizing team management and his defense after going down only one goal during the 1st period of his first game.

[/QUOTE]

Wasn't he also heartbroken that the Wings didn't claim him?

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Well played, gentlemen.

I was more heartbroken with a different NHL team, but thats another story.

I'm probably saying this because I'm older than everyone here, but Plante is number 1 for me. He dominated in the early years, won Cups, and by the 70s was teaching young goalies like me technique that hadnt even been considered up to that point.  Angles, poke checks, even goalie psychology.  Ask any kid who played goal from the 70s and they will show you their copy of Plante's Goaltending book.  Thats not even considering his development of the mask, which basic form remains today with the addition of the cage on the eyes.

Most fans these days never saw or even remember Plante, but everything in goaltending lines up behind him.

OK, Ill try a list:

1. Plante

2, Brodeur

3 Sawchuk

4. Roy

5. Dryden

6. Hasek

7. Parent

8. G Hall

9. Esposito

10.  Brimsek

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I was spellbound watching Plante as a kid.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Regarding Grant Fuhr. As I got to see most of the Oilers games in Edmonton in the 1980's due to living there then, I would say stats definitely don't come close to telling the story on Fuhr. A lot of his games started with him letting in 4 or 5 very bad goals like he was on drugs or something followed by him totally shutting the other team down. I personally think the Oilers knew they had a team that could totally blow the opposition team out of the rink and it would look bad if Gretzky & Company were still trying to score goals if the score was 5-0 or so. Thus I think Gretzky & Company were cool with Fuhr letting in bad goals to start games as they wouldn't look bad trying to score goals with their team behind in the score.

I don't think the Edmonton media figured that out though. They always wanted Sather to play Andy Moog over Fuhr as Moog never let in bad goals to start games like Fuhr. Eventually Moog got traded to Boston for Bill Ranford. Gretzky & Company, as well as Sather, meanwhile always maintained in the Edmonton media that Fuhr was the best goalie of his time.