best hockey state in the US?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: best hockey state in the US?

ny has been steadily growing in hockey participation since the lake placid olympics-- and now is a national power- see number of nhlers, div 1 teams(many have only become div 1 in the last 10-15 years) signs of that growth. upstaters hate being lumped in with downstaters- most wish they were completely separate- in every way...they are 2 different cultures.so forgive me if you can't understand my plight... nys stats don't accurately depict upstate life - crime, cost of living, ect....just trying to shed some light on the UPSTATE NY hockey culture and significance in the nhl... ten years from now if the trend continues...it won't even be close as far as nhlers- get back to me in ten. in my region-lake george/saratoga there has been 5 or 6 high schools that have started programs in the last 2 or 3 years- not the national trend 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: best hockey state in the US?:
    Just looked up all-time NHL players by state out of curiosity: Minnesota - 206 Massachusetts - 166 Michigan - 122 New York - 85 Illinois - 41 Wisconsin - 25 Connecticut - 25 I know it is just one facet of this debate.
    Posted by Fletcher1

And ND only 13, with 4 current. (keep in mind, 99.8 per cent of the US lives somewhere else, so per capita, it's not too bad.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think attendence at games can be very misleading based on roler's comment about being the "only game in town".

I live in Denver (now, grew up in Mass) and go to Denver U. hockey games a lot.  They draw 7,000-8,000 fans for every game.  North Dakota draws about 13,000 fans for games.  All the while, comparable hockey is being played at Northeastern in Boston for 2,000-3,000 fans per game.

But if you want to see a hockey game in Denver you have 2 choices (Avs, DU),  in Grand Forks you have one choice, and a hand full of high school games in each city.  All hockey fans are in the same place, more or less.

On a given Friday night in Boston, there might be an NHL game, AHL games in Worcester/Lowell, 7 Div. college games in the Boston area, 10 Div. 3 college games, 6 junior games, 6 prep league games and about 50 high school games.  Therefore hockey fans have tons of options and well over 100,000 fans might be watching hockey live on a friday night.  It's the same in Minnesota.

I guess my point is, I hear schools like North Dakota and Denver brag about their attendence for college games all of the time, but I think it is obvious there are actually a lot more hockey fans in Boston and Minneapolis.  Just a lot more choices too...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Abdk-
    If you feel better we can lump upstaters in with Canada :)..
    No upstate is definitely different, and there is good hockey there.. You pointed out 3 teams but lets be real,

if the Islanders left, no one would bat an eye,
    if the rangers left the nhl would feel that a huge market was abandonded, but fans wouldnt really care..

if buffalo left, it would be a big deal to its fan base..but until upstate sucedes from the rest of the state, you get lumped in if you want to discuss the hockey quality of the state, and the fact is your largest population to the state is not hockey centric..

Mass- the biggerst portion of the state boston area, is also where most of the hockey resides..

College hockey used to be bigger in mass when most of the players were from mass.. and bobby orr did huge things for this city, so just like you said NY is gaining ground, MA could be losing steps..

MN is still there.. #1..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think attendence at games can be very misleading based on roler's comment about being the "only game in town". I live in Denver (now, grew up in Mass) and go to Denver U. hockey games a lot.  They draw 7,000-8,000 fans for every game.  North Dakota draws about 13,000 fans for games.  All the while, comparable hockey is being played at Northeastern in Boston for 2,000-3,000 fans per game. But if you want to see a hockey game in Denver you have 2 choices (Avs, DU),  in Grand Forks you have one choice, and a hand full of high school games in each city.  All hockey fans are in the same place, more or less. On a given Friday night in Boston, there might be an NHL game, AHL games in Worcester/Lowell, 7 Div. college games in the Boston area, 10 Div. 3 college games, 6 junior games, 6 prep league games and about 50 high school games.  Therefore hockey fans have tons of options and well over 100,000 fans might be watching hockey live on a friday night.  It's the same in Minnesota. I guess my point is, I hear schools like North Dakota and Denver brag about their attendence for college games all of the time, but I think it is obvious there are actually a lot more hockey fans in Boston and Minneapolis.  Just a lot more choices too...
    Posted by Fletcher1

Yeah, but keep in mind Fletch, 13,000 folks at a Sioux game translates to about one out of every 3.5 people in Grand Forks, which is pretty amazing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Red,
    it also translates to the student body, and no one from grand forks..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

There is more quality hockey in and around Boston than in any other US city.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The 51,000 pop. estimate appears to include UND - with a regional metro area pop of 80,000, but that extends a significant ways away from GF. The total student body is only 12,500.

not saying they're the best, just that it may be larger part of the culture than any other state.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Red,
    Students are not normally included in a Population or census, though they are usually a side bar. So I wouldnt count that, but not sure where you are pulling that from..

But still leaves the info that attendence matches the student population..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The City of GF web site - stated the numbers included estimates of permamnent and temporary residents. I would take "temporary" to mean UND, though I could be wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I would consider Minnesota and ND pretty much the same pocket, really.  Not many players come out of Iowa or S. Dakota, but you consider that one big chunk/region just like MA/New England is one big sector.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

It's interesting to hear the comments. My sons began their hockey in Rochester where the Lions club youth hockey program fed the High schools, even Don Cherry was a local high school coach. There were not many rinks so the numbers of players were somewhat limited, and cost was a big issue. We moved to Dobbs Ferry, and both boys were called, while we were in a transition motel, to play in the Westchester/Long Island youth league which fed the local High school leagues. Once again, a lack of rinks and cost limited all programs to where the Dobbs Ferry high School coach asked my youngest, a 7th grader at the time, to play for the High School team. He was later recruited by a Connecticutt Prep team and went to college in Wisconsin where he said the quality of play was superior to the East Coast because the players were bigger, stronger and skated better. That's just one opinion, but until more rinks were  built NY and Conn. were well behind the Mid-West. In my own day the Boston area was limited in quality because players were divided between too many High Schools and Walpole, Arlington and Melrose were the real power teams led by Butch Songin who also led B.C. in those "olden days. The development of players relies on # of rinks; Cost to play; quality of coaching. It appears to me that B.C., B.U., and Harvard have a more developed and better funded capability than many of the other advanced programs, although it appears that Notre Dame, where Dave Puolin [ I believe] brought them into the level that Red Berenso has had.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

It's interesting to hear the comments. My sons began their hockey in Rochester where the Lions club youth hockey program fed the High schools, even Don Cherry was a local high school coach. There were not many rinks so the numbers of players were somewhat limited, and cost was a big issue. We moved to Dobbs Ferry, and both boys were called, while we were in a transition motel, to play in the Westchester/Long Island youth league which fed the local High school leagues. Once again, a lack of rinks and cost limited all programs to where the Dobbs Ferry high School coach asked my youngest, a 7th grader at the time, to play for the High School team. He was later recruited by a Connecticutt Prep team and went to college in Wisconsin where he said the quality of play was superior to the East Coast because the players were bigger, stronger and skated better. That's just one opinion, but until more rinks were  built NY and Conn. were well behind the Mid-West. In my own day the Boston area was limited in quality because players were divided between too many High Schools and Walpole, Arlington and Melrose were the real power teams led by Butch Songin who also led B.C. in those "olden days. The development of players relies on # of rinks; Cost to play; quality of coaching. It appears to me that B.C., B.U., and Harvard have a more developed and better funded capability than many of the other advanced programs, although it appears that Notre Dame, where Dave Puolin [ I believe] brought them into the level that Red Berenso has had.
    Posted by bogie6

lol The hillToppers. We now have the Milbury Cup. The first year (my senior year) Mike Himself dropped the Puck. Was pretty cool though you could tell he didnt give a Rats Arsse. Team has been bad ever since Butch left.

Now if your not playing for hingham/CM/Arlington/BC HIgh forget abawt ittt

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

BTW I may be the only Poster on this board with First Hand Experience at a Mike Milbury pre game "pump up speach" lol. Was pretty good actually.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Div.I college programs: RPI, Union, Clarkson,St. lawrence, Cornell, RIT, Niagra, Colgate, and  Canisius just to name a few"

My cousins played at Plattsburgh St. but sorry have to be a homer on this one as you are with New York

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7gRLQTZbNA

Couple of teams in the video above that would easily take out those teams listed above ask Brian Gionta. Michigan and Minnesota have closed the gap quite a bit those two states are just factories...

Sections
Shortcuts